USB-port. On replacement of the port on the board

10 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Odd that they did not have those as a spare part on IGG.

Be aware that that the port is NOT at the same position in the frame for pro1 and proX (sits higher on the X), so MIGHT be different pcb as well.

As far as I know, that PCB is different - at least they wrote in one of their update that they had to redesign that PCB as part of the radio problems they ran into, and also it looks different based on FCC photos.

Anyway, potential problems with USB port were the reason they moved the connector to a different panel, so it would be very welcome to take advantage of that... I hope it will be available soon for purchase as a not expensive product.

I really hope they have the manufacturing data for that board of Pro1...

I would buy some of them for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

@Tomatoman29 @VaZso As a late followup to this... 

... I can add (I think I mentioned it elsewhere at the time, but forget to add an update here) that I did get the USB connector module for the Pro1 from Fxtec, replaced it and the connection problems were gone. (I found it difficult, though, to open and reassemble the bottom part of the phone without breaking anything, like the tiny wire that connects the fingerprint reader and the inside parts of the phone buttons (camera, on/off, volume +/-)... 

Maybe support still has some of the boards?

Edited by Rob. S.
3 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Maybe support still has some of the boards?

I certainly hope so - or that they got the 'drawings' so that they can have them produced. It is very likely that most of us at some point will need it for our Pro1. That is unless there will be a successor we will buy and use instead.

5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I certainly hope so - or that they got the 'drawings' so that they can have them produced. It is very likely that most of us at some point will need it for our Pro1. That is unless there will be a successor we will buy and use instead.

Right. The one what I have received for replacement seemed to be a part of a faulty or "used for spare" Pro1.
(It had some missing ground springs but otherwise was in good condition.)

For manufacturing, basially they need gerber files (for PCB manufacturing), BOM ("bill of materials", basically parts and parts to designator list) and Pick&Place File (basically parts designator positions), latter files for soldering components.
These are the necessary parts for manufacturing, and naturally components are also need to be available.

If above files are not available (and also CAD files are missing which could be used to generate CAM / manufacturing files) then dimensions / positions and pinouts needed and a complete redesign of that panel... much easier than a whole motherboard redesign but still needs effort.

I really hope they have necessary manufacturing files and parts are still available.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Any help with this phone totally dead.just managed to get info off to a spare old phone . Not able to do far to get any real help out of fx .the charging port has in my view lost physical contact .no amount of wiggling will now reconnect .any idea what I am looking at to repair this.

1 hour ago, Bob78 said:

Any help with this phone totally dead.just managed to get info off to a spare old phone . Not able to do far to get any real help out of fx .the charging port has in my view lost physical contact .no amount of wiggling will now reconnect .any idea what I am looking at to repair this.

Hard to say, but with some 'luck' it is limited to some soldering - but might well be easier said than done.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2023 at 10:39 AM, Bob78 said:

Have you asked replacement board from F(x)tec? I was able to buy a spare part the fix the issue. Also, you could just to reinsert the usb board cable since it might be loose. However, I would not feel comfortable to teardown the phone if spare parts are not available.

One option is to resolder only the usb connector but it can be very hard task. In addition to that, I have seen some people to "bypass" usb connector with wireless charging receiver on other phones. It could be easier soldering task and you could at least charge the phone even so that usb connector itself is not working. (Assuming that the issue is on the connector, not in the usb board).

Edit: Just reference pictures below. These are NOT pictures of Pro1/Pro1-X. You should resolve correct soldering places yourself.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all .thanks for all your help.i struggled

With fx tec who replied ok to the point they asked for my address .Then totally fizzled out.no amount of friendly prods has produced a result.

So I still have to put up with this b Nokia that while it works well is not what I want.

I have not as yet had the courage to open the fx as been totally absorbed by end of year bereavements .I have however tried 10 repair outfits with no joy.it seems no one wants to repair this phone not even fx tec  I read about all this difficult soldering not sure last time I tried that was to build a zx 81 had to pay 5£ and it was all done for me.

Is there no one who will repair these phones ?

Many thanks to all sorry for delayed reply R

8 hours ago, Bob78 said:

Hi all .thanks for all your help.i struggled

With fx tec who replied ok to the point they asked for my address .Then totally fizzled out.no amount of friendly prods has produced a result.

So I still have to put up with this b Nokia that while it works well is not what I want.

I have not as yet had the courage to open the fx as been totally absorbed by end of year bereavements .I have however tried 10 repair outfits with no joy.it seems no one wants to repair this phone not even fx tec  I read about all this difficult soldering not sure last time I tried that was to build a zx 81 had to pay 5£ and it was all done for me.

Is there no one who will repair these phones ?

Many thanks to all sorry for delayed reply R

Hi, I'm sorry to say but we've discontinued some hardware support for Pro1s. Unfortunately, we do not have any USB ports in stock for repair anymore. My best advice is to find a local technician shop who can help solder a new type-c port. Apologies again.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
9 hours ago, Casey said:

.... we do not have any USB ports in stock for repair anymore.....

That was very sad news,

😨

Will you get them at a later point? Wasn't The whole idea of the usb on a separate print that it should be easy to swap?
If end of service, could you provide diagrams, so some handy persons could produce them, without the need of reverse engineering first?

What parts are potentially available for the Pro1? If none/few it would be nice to know if we have to treat a Pro1 with the uttermost care as irreplaceable...

• Like 4

It is indeed sad news 😞

12 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Will you get them at a later point? Wasn't The whole idea of the usb on a separate print that it should be easy to swap?

To my knowledge, if there is still demand for USB port repairs, I think we can order more. But there is a MOQ for it, so it just depends if our previous vendor still supplies this and if the demand is high.

If end of service, could you provide diagrams, so some handy persons could produce them, without the need of reverse engineering first?

I'm able to provide the relevant schematics on a case by case basis.

What parts are potentially available for the Pro1? If none/few it would be nice to know if we have to treat a Pro1 with the uttermost care as irreplaceable...

We do have a number of Pro1 parts still available to purchase/for repair:

- Battery

- Screen

- PCBs

- Camera

- Connection cables

- SIM trays

- Fingerprint sensor/back covers

Apart from these, we will need to see exactly what needs to be repaired as we can sometimes take components off other RMA'd units and swap them 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
9 hours ago, Casey said:

To my knowledge, if there is still demand for USB port repairs, I think we can order more. But there is a MOQ for it, so it just depends if our previous vendor still supplies this and if the demand is high.

AH That sound great, glad I misinterpreted your comment it sounded rather ominous, I feared it was the same supplier as the main board...

How many do we need to buy, and what is the price (roughly)?

I for one would like a handful, if they are not too expensive. And importantly with customs paperwork in order so we do not get flogged some £25 'handling fee' by the shipper.

What about making a poll and hear how many would be interested in buying spare ports, and how many they want (option 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 over 5 should suffice)

The most vulnerable parts for wear/accidents for the Pro1 is
Display, Usb-plug, keyboard (keys as well as mat), battery, ribbon-cable.
And if any of these are distinctively different from the Pro1X it would be nice to be able to buy spares. (I know the qwerty keylayout is different, but if the electronics is the same, FinQwerty or the like can handle remap)

17 hours ago, Casey said:

- Battery

- Screen

- PCBs

- Camera

- Connection cables

- SIM trays

Apart from these, we will need to see exactly what needs to be repaired as we can sometimes take components off other RMA'd units and swap them 😉 

That actually sounds good. After I replaced my old Pro1's USB board myself a couple of months ago with, I broke the fingerprint sensor and at least one of the buttons and probably disconnected something that communicates the slider position to determine screen orientation, so "FIngerprint sensor/back cover" seems to be exactly what I would need to get it fully working again, which I feared wouldn't be possible anymore. Would you recommend I'd send the device to have it repaired? (After the last experience I wouldn't want try again myself...)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 3/14/2023 at 8:51 AM, Casey said:

It is indeed sad news 😞

I'm able to provide the relevant schematics on a case by case basis.

- Battery

- Screen

- PCBs

- Camera

- Connection cables

- SIM trays

Hello @Casey.  How do we order the above parts for the pro1?

5 hours ago, david said:

Hello @Casey.  How do we order the above parts for the pro1?

Good question; after reading that post, I mailed support to confirm that there actually are fingerprint sensor and back cover replacements (and whether I could get the replacement done by them), but they never got back to me...

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2023 at 5:33 AM, EskeRahn said:

Hard to say, but with some 'luck' it is limited to some soldering - but might well be easier said than done.

I've "force charged" li-ion batteries. Reverse engineer the pins of the battery, one is a resister temp meter connected to + or to ground. Other pins are + and -. Use a 9v alkaline battery battery to charge the lion battery, + to +, - to -. A 9v battery is self-current limiting by its very nature. It limits automatically the watts/amps, even at 0.05v of the lithium battery, to never heat up the li bat to dangerous temperatures. You can remove the 9v bat every 60 seconds, and check with a volt meter the li bat increased in voltage after 60 seconds of charging. It will take 10-30 mins to get the lithium battery to ~2v or ~3v to get the OS to boot (and start charge port charging). I do the 9v battery trick with new old stock lithium batteries that discharged to almost zero on warehouse shelves after many years, as replacement batteries for old phones.

• Like 2
On 3/14/2023 at 2:52 PM, Casey said:

@Bob78 Good news, I just found a spare USB port from a previous RMA'd unit. If you'd like, I am able to reserve this one for you. Are you looking for replacing this module yourself or sending us the unit for repair?

Ahoy Casey,

I've been in contact with the FxTec-Support about screen and battery replacement for the Pro1 and all went smooth and well.

I further stated the following questions about options on USB-replacement (Date: June 30th, 2023)

Is it possible to also get advise on the USB-C port?

• Can you name the exact manufacturer and part number, so that i can check for spare parts at electronics-distributors?
  • Is it possible, to get 2-3 USB-C ports packed into an envelope an also be delivered to me for replacing the current one?
  • What other options do we have with regards to the USB-C port replacement?

The reply was the following (Date: July 10th, 2023):

Unfortunately we have no more parts available but we will let you know as soon as more arrive.

It would be heart-warming and interesting to all users in this thread, if you could elaborate on the current status of USB-C replacement options.

Thanks a bunch!

18 hours ago, unknown-fxtec-member said:

Ahoy Casey,

I've been in contact with the FxTec-Support about screen and battery replacement for the Pro1 and all went smooth and well.

I further stated the following questions about options on USB-replacement (Date: June 30th, 2023)

The reply was the following (Date: July 10th, 2023):

It would be heart-warming and interesting to all users in this thread, if you could elaborate on the current status of USB-C replacement options.

Thanks a bunch!

Since Casey does not regularly peruse these threads (this is a user-to-user forum) I'll try an @-call to see if can respond.  Not guaranteed,,,   @Casey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...