Pro1 X arrived but does not boot?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry for the delays. I have your device with me and it is fixed already. The reason we ask to keep it for longer is to help our developers debug the issue so it doesn't happen again. We're working wi

Found it. The problem is if you only take the first part here: If you go in by the "Enter fastboot" this way will give exactly the reported FAILED (remote: 'Command not supported in defau

From what others wrote, out-of-the-box, the Pro1X is not configured for charging in powered-off state (was the same for the Pro1). So keeping it connected to the charger will not fix anything if the b

Posted Images

On 8/23/2022 at 8:41 AM, Spielverderber said:

Good morning, 

the solution for me is: sending the new Pro1-X to the U.K. for exchange/repair/what ever. 😭

After nearly two years of waiting: quite disappointing.  

I wouldn't send it in, there is a high chance you won't see it for another year..or never.

If it's indeed a battery depletion issue, just grab one from Ali or whatever and switch it out, it's easy to service. (or if you got the means, take out the original and give it some charge other way)

Edited by Tsunero
46 minutes ago, Tsunero said:

If it's indeed a battery depletion issue, just grab one from Ali or whatever and switch it out, it's easy to service. (or if you got the means, take out the original and give it some charge other way)

Problem is, until now, the battery cannot be found anywhere but at Fxtec. Might actually be a unique design for them. On the other hand, I'd at least expect Fxtec to be able to ship batteries some time soon. 

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Tsunero said:

I wouldn't send it in, there is a high chance you won't see it for another year..or never.

Sorry, but based on an n=2, that's flatly false. First time I sent mine in, one month, second time was 6 months because they didn't have parts, but they were clear about that when I sent it in and I had it back 3 weeks after parts became available.

They probably, as said, can supply the battery, but given it is a new phone under warranty and the exact nature of the problem hasn't been established, myself, I would send  it in. They will tell you what to expect when you work out the trouble ticket with them before sending it in.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 8/27/2022 at 7:59 PM, Tsunero said:

You were right. I should not have send it in. Now its two month because of a depleated battery and it does not look like I might have it back soon. 

They are "performing multiple charging and draining tests". But maybe the battery is really dead after a month of charging and draining 😭

• Sad 2
On 10/31/2022 at 11:23 PM, Spielverderber said:

You were right. I should not have send it in. Now its two month because of a depleated battery and it does not look like I might have it back soon. 

They are "performing multiple charging and draining tests". But maybe the battery is really dead after a month of charging and draining 😭

That doesn't look good, try contact them again and see what they respond. I've seen a few people on Discord got the same issue and got the phone back within a few weeks.

• Like 2
On 10/31/2022 at 4:23 PM, Spielverderber said:

Sorry for the delays. I have your device with me and it is fixed already. The reason we ask to keep it for longer is to help our developers debug the issue so it doesn't happen again. We're working with Snapdragon to resolve this problem and will soon be able to send back your phone. Again, thank you for your patience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
24 minutes ago, Casey said:

Sorry for the delays. I have your device with me and it is fixed already. The reason we ask to keep it for longer is to help our developers debug the issue so it doesn't happen again. We're working with Snapdragon to resolve this problem and will soon be able to send back your phone. Again, thank you for your patience.

The problem is, that you did not ask wether you can keep it. You also did not tell me that you are going to keep it. You just told me, that it is fixed and this is one month ago.

Normally one expects to get back the things you send in for repair. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
Just now, Spielverderber said:

The problem is, that you did not ask wether you can keep it. You also did not tell me that you are going to keep it. You just told me, that it is fixed and this is one month ago.

Normally one expects to get back the things you send in for repair. 🤷‍♂️

I see. Things definitely were lost in translation here. As I wasn't the one handling your ticket, it appears my colleague left this out. Can you provide your ticket ID so I can follow up?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • 1 month later...

OK, so I seem to be in similar situation. Yesterday I left phone with about 70% battery, this morning is dead. No notification light, no reaction on the charger, no reaction for long holding of power button.

But the phone was configured to charge when switched off.

The only sign of life is when I connect it to PC via USB, it reports itself as QUSB_BULK_SN:xxxxxx

Any suggestions? It seems to me that this QUSB_BULK device on USB suggests that the phone waits for initial factory flashing?

Edit: phone was running on Sailfish

Edited by Rasva
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Rasva said:

Any suggestions? It seems to me that this QUSB_BULK device on USB suggests that the phone waits for initial factory flashing?

Seems bad... Googling a bit I found someone with a quite similar experience for a Pixel here.

Have you tried holding the power button in for a very long time? (say 30-60 seconds), and see if anything happens at all?

When connected to power it should attempt to charge -or with the silly default, that you had turned off- try to boot - and should show something on the display.

Have you got a usb-meter? Like e.g. this. I'm wondering if it will draw any current at all when connected to a charger. Also try to look into the USB-port and see if e.g. some pocket lint could be causing troubles... Similar try a different cable, or check that the cable works with another device.
(Yes I know I'm clutching at straws here, but just to eliminate potentially simple issues)

Yes, I wanted to use usb-c cable with power meter, when I will be back at home. 

So I connected it to fast USB PD charger with this cable and notification LED started to flash red immediately, cable was showing 4W load and after a minute phone came back to life with 15W fast charging. Now it is charging also when connected to PC or any other slow USB charger.

So the conclusion is that some bug in Sailfish managed to completely discharge the phone in about 8 hours, battery management allowed to deep discharge the battery and apparently the only way to bring it back to life was fast USB-PD charger.

(or of course removing the battery and "kickstarting it with DC power supply)

• Thanks 1

I have had the phone suddenly go black brick for no apparent reason, after leaving it on the table with a 70% or better charge.

In my case, what worked was holding all three buttons (both volume and power) for about 30 seconds. That seemed to start a reboot cycle, as the Android image flashed up for a fraction of a second, but then stopped.

I did the same again, and again I got the brief Android flash, then nothing.

I then held the power button alone for about 30 seconds, and the phone booted normally.

It showed 76% battery or something at that point.

Good luck.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Name_not_avail said:

I then held the power button alone for about 30 seconds,

Yup, I have seen this do wonders too - I do not know exactly what it is doing but my guess it is as close to a cold reboot we get without a mechanical power-switch.
There seems to be both a "long", and a "VERY long" hold-power in the menu of possibilities. I would guess one is about 8s+, and the other somewhere beyond 30s.

The very long power button hold did not work the first time I tried it.

Only after twice doing the "3 fingered salute" I described, did the power button hold (alone) suddenly work.

Something weird about those brief boot attempts with the 3 fingered salute, seems to have enabled the long power button hold afterwards.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there really no way to get any charge into a flat battery?

Since my repaired Pro1-X was returned, I've been waiting for updated ubports or lineageos, and thinking of maybe selling the phone altogether.

So imagine my dismay when I come to turn it on and find it won't turn on OR charge!

Tried the long power presses, and all key combinations suggested or listed elsewhere. No change.

So my choice now is to try and un-expertly dismatle a brand new phone to charge the battery, or return it to fxtec AGAIN.

Really?  Oh dear oh dear oh dear. (I do try to be positive, but this is baaad.)

• Sad 2
On 12/30/2022 at 5:51 PM, mattock said:

Is there really no way to get any charge into a flat battery?

From this thread, it seems like you already know all there is to know. Still, here is my summary for any newcomers dropping in:

For unknown reasons, F(x)tec ship their phones configured in a way that allows battery charging only with a running OS. If, by whatever circumstances, the battery charge ever drops to zero in that configuration, re-charging will no longer work, as this would require to first boot the OS which - in turn - would need at least some residual charge to be left in the battery. In that situation, the only way to re-charge is probably to disconnect the battery from the controller circuit and to energize it using a laboratory power supply (I haven't tried this). 

Imho, the first thing to do when you receive your F(x)tec phone (Pro1 or Pro1X alike!) is to connect to a PC, fire up fastboot, and do

fastboot oem off-mode-charge 1

which will enable charging the battery with the device powered-off.

• Thanks 2

Finally decided to enable off-mode charge on my Pro1 X, too, but while the fastboot connection itself does work, the specific command fails:

$ fastboot devices
c3156900	fastboot
$ fastboot oem enable-charger-screen
                                                   FAILED (remote: 'Command not supported in default implementation')
fastboot: error: Command failed
$ fastboot oem off-mode-charge 1
$ fastboot reboot
Rebooting                                          OKAY [  0.000s]
Finished. Total time: 0.805s

Any ideas?

Edit: Got back to my Pro1 where I hadn't applied the change yet, either, and there it worked:

$ fastboot devices
da51126d	fastboot
$ fastboot oem enable-charger-screen
                                                   OKAY [  0.004s]
Finished. Total time: 0.004s
$ fastboot oem off-mode-charge 1
                                                   OKAY [  0.000s]
Finished. Total time: 0.000s
$ fastboot reboot
Rebooting                                          OKAY [  0.000s]
Finished. Total time: 0.101s

Edited by Rob. S.
3 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Any ideas?

Weird, works on a Pro1X here....
Are you at the standard bootloader menu that can be reached with this?
adb reboot bootloader

If I write say "On" instead of the "1" I get an error BUT a different text:
FAILED (remote: 'Invalid input entered')

And if I change the command-name I get
FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')

So it seems that the it sees your command, but report it as not supported, so could be a different fastboot-menu - If I do recall incorrectly, there is another one with tiny text that can be reached by another key-combo than the usual: VolDown while holding power.

3 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Any ideas?

If I remember well, it worked after I have allowed ADB connection of my PC (there is a notification appears with a "MAC-address" where you can tick to remember).

I don't know if fastboot has anything to do with ADB but I could enable offline charging of my Pro1X afterwards.

Found it. The problem is if you only take the first part here:

On 8/6/2022 at 2:16 AM, matf-kabouik said:

- Pick your clacky Pro1x, power it down, hold down [Volume -] and [Power] until it boots. It will show a dead droid logo. From there, hold [Power] and without releasing it, hit [Volume +] briefly with another finger. From the menu that just appeared, select Bootloader. The phone will reboot into bootloader mode. Plug it to your computer, then from the PC:

1913898074_IMG_20230102_17201301.thumb.jpg.4f56b1e38a25e66620578a7c0dfd23e7.jpg

If you go in by the "Enter fastboot" this way will give exactly the reported

But if you choose "Reboot to bootloader" you wlil get to the menu where it works.
OKAY [  0.000s]
Finished. Total time: 0.000s

• Thanks 4