What are you using your Pro1/1X for?

I'm the owner of a Pro1 and a Pro1X and my 1X is sitting as a development device.

While I'm currently using the Pro1 as a PDA (runs SailfishOS and Arch Linux ARM inside the container) and so far I've been happy with it.

What are you doing with your Pros?

• Like 2

I also use my Pro1 as a PDA (though I prefer "pocket computer," one of whose functions is PDA).  I run lineage on it.  I use it to to work in landscape almost exclusively.  I use it as a PDA (Calendaring is especially nice with a full moth on screen where the appointments are all readable), email, browsing. writing and editing (yes, I can actually write long text comfortably using Textmaker from Softmaker Office or Markor, depending on what I'm writing, ssh-ing into a Linux server I have access to, IRC, and messaging.  (I'm not a programmer or IT guy.  Also not a gamer.)  Basically, all things that are helped tremendously by having a physical keyboard and a landscape  screen. I have a T-Mobile sim in my Pro1, but I don't give out the number and use it mostly for data when I am away from wifi. One really nice thing I do with my Pro1 is a lot of reading with the Kindle app.  I can get Kindle to go portrait with the keyboard out.  That gives me a lot of text on-screen but the keyboard makes a very comfortable handle for holding the Pro1.  The Pro 1 is just amazing.

I carry a cheap Moto slab for phone (Verizon), sms, Android Auto and commercial portrait-only apps (which also tend to be apps that don't require a lot of text input).  It can also create a hot spot for the Pro 1.

It's a nice functional split that really works, each  type of device playing to it's strengths.

When I get my Pro1x, I may make it my daily driver while I experiment with my Pro1.

• Like 2

I use my Pro1 as my daily phone, primarily for SMS but also emails, browsing and calls.

The Pro1X I plan shall take over from my Pro1, where after three years usage, the keyboard are beginning to not be 100% reliable.
But I HOPE they soon will release the new software, with various fixes, and I'm 'holding my horses' a bit for that, before making the transition.

Maybe I'll get too impatient and do it while still on the existing software....

• Like 3

was running mine as a pocket linux PC with Droidian until my daily android phone developed issues.

Currently using the Pro1X with stock android as a phone, using termux for doing some light coding (Helix/Rust/Go/Git are all I need), and occasional SSHing.

• Like 3

I use my Pro1-x mostly as a PDA. I want to use it as my primary phone but it's still early for my purposes. I'm still not comfortable with calling being an app instead of being the "front and center" of what it is (when it's something I call a phone).

For me, it's almost an ultra-portable laptop that happens to run Android which is slower to type and slower to be productive while I can still be productive.

For my phone stuff (basically phone and SMS), I still prefer my Nokia Asha.

A big difference is that I used to read PDF and e-books on my Nokia Asha but now I do those on my Pro¹ instead. Additionally, since I have my Pro¹, I haven't connected my Nokia Asha to the internet (wifi or data).

• Like 3

I use my Pro1 as daily driver with my self-built LineageOS 16.0 and a Debian 10 (actually Devuan 3) desktop GNU/Linux system running permanently in a chroot. For me this is the optimal combination of an Android(-like) environment with the option to do serious (desktop) work from the GNU chroot.

Of course, running a more native GNU/Linux system (if we agree on calling libhybris-based hacks "native" 😉 ) like UbuntuTouch, Sailfish, or Droidian is tempting, but -- realistically -- I cannot make it through the day without some Android apps I would not know how to replace (Firefox, Zoom, Öffi, Zoo for Zotero, ...) and I do not want to rely on something like Waydroid or Anbox for my job.

My Pro1X seems very promising (except for the right-speaker-bug that hopefully will be solved somehow). The keyboard responsiveness is much better than that of my >2 year old Pro1. The graphics performance is much worse, as expected, but I do not use the Pro1 much for gaming either. Currently my Pro1X is more or less shelved, but once LineageOS becomes somewhat stable, I will try to migrate my Pro1 setup to it.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 3

I was using Pro1 as a daily driver for over a year but since COVID-19 changed everything (and official support for Pro1 ended) I switched to a Asus Zenfone 8 (and later on to 9). Since I was working from home there was not so much need for handheld keyboard phone anymore. I was able to use laptop almost every time I needed.

Now situation has settled back to normal so I am planning to start using Pro1 (or Pro1-X) as a daily driver once again. I haven't decided which phone I will grap when I receive Pro1-X. Pro1 offers more performance which is great since I am gaming a little bit. However, there are some hiccups with Finnish layout on LOS (QWERTZ unit) because some special characters do not match the prints and I am not able to use FinQwerty on LOS (works only on stock). Also, in order to pass SafetyNet on LOS you need to root the phone which makes other issues with some apps. I am little bit tired to that "hiding root game".

I ordered Pro1-X with scandic layout so that it is great feature for me. With Pro1-X I am able to use stock Android so there is not so much of need to tune everything. However, I am little bit conserned about the performance of SD662 chip. But maybe IMX586 camera can give little bit upgrade compared to Pro1 (IMX363).

Overall I have been satisfied with my purchases so far. Of course there are issues but if you really want keyboard phone there are not so many options. For sure F(x)tec is providing better option than nothing. It is not suitable alternative for everybody but some it really gives value.

• Like 4

I use my pro1 as daily phone with LOS, and an archlinux container for LibreOffice and Python / C arduino coding on the go.
It could be very useful, for example I had to share a bios dump in discord, impossible in android as the discord app filters all weird files extension (renaming it with *.txt or *.jpeg didn't match here) so I had to do this in the container with a "pc" version.
Also I often edit Libreoffice document, and it works great with keyboard, as in android it's a pain to edit and modify such of files without data connections. Gimp is useful too for weird picture format.

LOS + Keyboard + Linux = freedom 😄

• Like 4
  • 8 months later...

I use my F(x)tec Pro1 non-shifted QWERTZ running latest Sailfish OS as second phone. Side-by-side with Nokia N9, being my main phone (yes, Nokia N9, 2011? but MeeGo is still awesome). Sailfish itself is a great OS for me, I like gestures, UI, UX, apps and I feel freer than if I used any Android ROM 😄

I have Waydroid set up and running in case I want to play games or do something, which really requires Android.

I have also Arch Linux container as well, themed to be prettier and with some programs like Firefox, VS Code, GIMP. I can do any PC-dependent things on Pro1, just like on PC. I use this container for things like ssh-ing etc. Very nice experience. And even nicer with keyboard, which I really like.

On 11/4/2022 at 10:54 AM, raymo said:

LOS + Keyboard + Linux = freedom 😄

For me:

Sailfish OS + Keyboard + Linux = freedom 😄

• Like 1

It's quite simple, download Containers app from Chum GUI, run it, create an arm64 Debian-based / Arch-based container and tick "Setup xsession".

And wait for setup to complete (Terminal will run, follow instructions in it).

Container must be arm64 and its name shouldn't have spaces.

And container... just works.

At this moment, I have installed an Alpine Linux container with some Magisk Modules (as my archlinux container don't work well with LOS20.0). Of course your phone must be rooted.

The Alpine linux works with busybox, who is installed and symlinked to the Magisk built-in busybox binary.
(Using the Magisk Module : Magisk built-in BusyBox, then install the BusyBox apk)

The Alpine-linux is chrooted via FerryAr scripts (using Magisk Module : Linux Chroot Installer -- note that with this scripts you can install other distros, but only Alpine Linux worked for me, wich is good, as Alpine Linux is a BusyBox-based distro.
You will have to install two other Magisk Module : e2fsprogs ARM and Cross Compiled Binaries, so total installed : four Magisk Module (Linux Chroot Installer - Magisk built-in BusyBox - e2fsprogs ARM - Cross Compiled Binaries) and the BusyBox app.

You launch the start script from the terminal in root.

It's very powerfull with VNC, very low battery drain, very stable, ....and very very fast.

You can also use Xserver XSDL, but in my case pulse-audio doesn't work, I don't care as I don't need sound.

Note that you can send special characters in OpenOffice via Ctrl-Shift-u and the character code, (it's not very useful but possible, and could be practical).

This Termux-Magisk-VNC-Alpine-Linux container should work on the pro1x and LOS20.0, but I haven't try as I have no pro1x yet.

Edited by raymo
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Wunder Wungiel said:

For me:

Sailfish OS + Keyboard + Linux = freedom 😄

😄 agree with you but GPS with OpenStreetMap is a great functionality for me in LOS20.0, does this tools (or similar) works in Sailfish OS ?

On 7/16/2023 at 8:57 AM, Wunder Wungiel said:

It's quite simple, download Containers app from Chum GUI, run it, create an arm64 Debian-based / Arch-based container and tick "Setup xsession".

And wait for setup to complete (Terminal will run, follow instructions in it).

Container must be arm64 and its name shouldn't have spaces.

And container... just works.

Hi,

is there a linux container that would work on rooted android?

Edited by mangled
On 7/16/2023 at 11:06 PM, raymo said:

😄 agree with you but GPS with OpenStreetMap is a great functionality for me in LOS20.0, does this tools (or similar) works in Sailfish OS ?

Try PureMaps + OSM Scout Server for a great native SailfishOS solution (available from Chum).

• Thanks 1

I found an article that gives you step by step instructions on how to install arch manjaro as proot on android/lineage os through termux. This looks like a great alternative to getting Linux to run on your phone. I will be trying this tonight. Would be awesome to try the lineage desktop mode and run manjaro.

https://github.com/krmanik/Manjaro-Linux-on-Android

Edited by mangled
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...