Keyboard print layouts and functionality

Hi,

First my apologies if it is yet mentioned.

I'm using different languages daily, and for years now I didn't find a more convenient way than the US-international on computers. It is qwerty, but with the OS settings (windows/linux/macos) us-international keyboard. I don't know if there is similar alternative on android. The behavior is simple and enable a lot of special character to be typed with only 2 sequential key press (including caps). It requiers the keys [ ' ] , [ ` ] and [ " ]. As they're on the Pro1, it would be very convenient. More than long press on a key to pop the special char window plus touching the screen, in my opinion.

Here is the operation:

To type the letter Ö, press once the [ " ] key and then the [ O ] key.

---- à is [ ` ] and [ a ]

---- Ç is [ ' ] and [ c ]

and for the regular char ' it is [ ' ] and [ space ] (same for " or ` )

Thanks for all this work F(x) team !

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes I definitely will use that button 🙂

Starting off, I know FR still uses mostly the AZERTY keyboard but who knows if they like this? I'm a Portuguese person who found out about this phone only yesterday. I'm very interested in it and

This is a very interesting suggestion. If the Chinese layout proved to be in a high demand, we would certainly consider it.   In the future perhaps if we can make user to do custom mapping, maybe we

Posted Images

To type the letter Ö, press once the [ ” ] key and then the [ O ] key.

Welcome. Yes the 'dead-key' approach has been mentioned, though especially in the thread on the German layout. And indeed it is a solution to supporting many languages with a common keyboard.

I hope we will have the option to remap things quite generally so we could make practically any logical layout, no matter what is printed on the keys.

Currently the suggested German QWERTZ keyboard are closer to Danish than the standard right-shifted QWERTY, as we also got national letters right of L and P, so that would be a better print for me, so only a few keys shows something different from what they would actually give with Danish selected.

In the future perhaps if we can make user to do custom mapping, maybe we can just make the alternative printing / keypad and user can swap them on. :)

This is the most interesting idea that I have ever heard. Even just the custom mapping would be most appreciated.

In addition, my suggested re-arrangement of the overall layout could be applied to the English-US layout as well, which is more resemble to the PC keyboard layout.

Hi!

I'm using the German and very often the Spanish language. So for mi would be nice if there is a possibility to write the character "ñ", for example to use the "yellow arrow" key and the key "N". I prefer the standard QWERTZ layout and additional a "yellow ñ" on the key "N"....

Thanks for all this perfect work F(x) team. I hope, we will get soon the possibility to pre order the QWERTZ layout!

I’m using the German and very often the Spanish language. So for mi would be nice if there is a possibility to write the character “ñ”, for example to use the “yellow arrow” key and the key “N”. I prefer the standard QWERTZ layout and additional a “yellow ñ” on the key “N”….

It may be a challenge to make layouts which satisfy people who write in two languages :-)

One solution for you is to have the "~" sign on the "N" key (since "~" is a normal sign of the German QWERTZ keyboard), and with a software setting you will change the "~" sign to "ñ" character.

See the layout proposed here:

https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/design-the-qwertz-layout/page/8/#post-12970

[attachment file=F(x) - QWERTZ-201904092-1 - 2019-04-15_RCa - strg.png]

Hi!

I’m using the German and very often the Spanish language. So for mi would be nice if there is a possibility to write the character “ñ”, for example to use the “yellow arrow” key and the key “N”. I prefer the standard QWERTZ layout and additional a “yellow ñ” on the key “N”….

Thanks for all this perfect work F(x) team. I hope, we will get soon the possibility to pre order the QWERTZ layout!

I already had this discussion in other threads but for people which are typing different languages on the same keyboard the US-International is a solid way to go.

This should work for any combination of western (latin) languages (don't pin me down on the exact terminus, but just languages which are using latin letters).

A layout for a specific combinations of two languages however is unrealistic.

It would be great if the keys map can be changed. That way you can have qwerty, qwertz, azerty and whatever you want. That is stupidly impossible with blackberry android phone.. I do not care about printing, after a few days of use, I do not look at keys.

As for me, I use Hungarian keyboard on my PC and on my previous Nokia N97 mini. It is a variant of QWERTZ, first row ending with 89öüó, second row ending with iopőú, third row ending with kléáű, bottom row ending with nm,.-

Question is how to fit the alt gr characters that are less freqently used.

I can make a photo on the N97 mini keybord for reference, I would be happy with something similar.

Hi!

I already had this discussion in other threads but for people which are typing different languages on the same keyboard the US-International is a solid way to go.

This should work for any combination of western (latin) languages (don’t pin me down on the exact terminus, but just languages which are using latin letters).

The Swiss keyboard is achieving this: a combination of a German Keyboard and a French keyboard. It is already a reality. If Fxtec wants to gather sufficient demand for the QWERTZ option, it has to appeal to the German and French communities (and Swiss one...).

Adding the ñ on top of that should not be too complicated. If it does not come straigth away, at least Fxtec should provide the tools to remap the keys.

Hi!

This should work for any combination of western (latin) languages (don’t pin me down on the exact terminus, but just languages which are using latin letters).

The Swiss keyboard is achieving this: a combination of a German Keyboard and a French keyboard. It is already a reality. If Fxtec wants to gather sufficient demand for the QWERTZ option, it has to appeal to the German and French communities (and Swiss one…).

Adding the ñ on top of that should not be too complicated. If it does not come straigth away, at least Fxtec should provide the tools to remap the keys.

As a Swiss, I absolutely disagree with that. First of all, Switzerland is a very very small market. So this layout would probably only make you and me happy. There is no reason you absolutely need the Swiss layout except you are typing French and German. If you only use one of the languages you could use that layout.

I am absolutely against merging different layouts together. Nobody will be really happy. If you want a keyboard everybody can use, use the US-International. It already exists and is an official standard. Do not merge ñ and so on into a Swiss keyboard and try to sell that as an international Keyboard. Because what is about åþíøðœæœµ and so on?

There surely will be a way for mapping the keys (at least an app). But as far as the print goes, they should go for US-International and a German and/or French print which is as close as possible to the default (I think the Scandinavian Users would prefer the German before the French). Heck they will maybe someday have a Swiss-Layout. But please have it as close to the pc standard as possible.

Hello! What about Russian keyboard layouts? Are there any planned layouts?

It has been mentioned earlier here, but I have not heard any plans for a print. Though I'm sure that if there are enough interested, a print could be made.

And even if no print I'm sure it will be possible to have 'any' layout logically. Of course this will be most helpful for languages that normally have a layout closer to a printed one, as this would require the user to only remember a few keys, Where a Russian layout with say a QWERTY would have wrong letters printed on (almost?) all letter keys.

Thank you for your reply. It can show that two Swiss users can disagree about their prefered layout. Neither of us can speak of authority on this matter.

The advantage of on-screen keyboard over hardware keyboard is you will not have this kind of disagreement, polarizing people. Fxtec should avoid that by all means. Hopefully they will make clear what is their roadmap and when they can respond to the needs of their prospective users.

It brings me back to another question I had: how can Fxtec assess there will be more demand for a German+Scandivian layout rather than a German+French (=Swiss), or German only over French only?

I need to buy a new phone, but I have no guarantee a keyboard layout I need will be available (or when). From my personal perspective the so-called international keyboard does not help me be productive enough compared to a national (or bi-national) layout. Will I wait the clarifications comes? And when it comes will the phone specifications be obsolete compared to competition?

As for me, I use Hungarian keyboard on my PC and on my previous Nokia N97 mini. It is a variant of QWERTZ, first row ending with 89öüó, second row ending with iopőú, third row ending with kléáű, bottom row ending with nm,.-

Question is how to fit the alt gr characters that are less freqently used.

I can make a photo on the N97 mini keybord for reference, I would be happy with something similar.

Sounds like a Czech variant of QWERTZ? Yes a picture would be great to have. :)

Thank you for your reply. It can show that two Swiss users can disagree about their prefered layout. Neither of us can speak of authority on this matter.

It brings me back to another question I had: how can Fxtec assess there will be more demand for a German+Scandivian layout rather than a German+French (=Swiss), or German only over French only?

From my personal perspective the so-called international keyboard does not help me be productive enough compared to a national (or bi-national) layout.

Don't get me wrong, would love a Swiss layout. But I think it is not a good idea for fxtec to appeal to such a small market (at least now).

Fxtec has the number of pre-orders. So if there are more from Germany and Scandinavia than from Switzerland it is an easy decision. The idea is not to have a German+Scandinavian Layout. The Idea is to have a German layout. The Scandinavian guys here are just saying, that this would work for them too.

Why is the international keyboard not enough productive for you? It is just a matter of get used to it (As it would be for other people to learn the Swiss layout).

What is final QWERTY layout? Im not satified with one column of symobols on left side between “tab” key and “Q” key…

I do not think that it is 100% certain yet. But I'm pretty sure that the letters of the standard QWERTY delivered will be right shifted one key.

Personally I am likely to go for the German QWERTZ print layout, accepting the Z/Y to have the print swapped to get the letters in their standard positions (better for languages with national letters, e.g. Danish for me). A few other keys would also have 'wrong' print, but I for one can live with that.

It might be an option to consider for those that do not want the partly shifted keyboard for whatever other reasons too.

Here a common thread for the wish for alternative layouts, and keyboard functionalities.

What are the most useful shortcuts you use on a keyboard smartphone?

As a person from one of the Nordic countries, I really hope for a Nordic/Scandi layout. I have voiced my desire for this several times on Twitter, but I thought I might as well do it here too. I really want this phone. But I dont want to be without my ÅÄÖ signs either and also having the .,:;^~-_+ signs in the "correct" locations. ?

As for shortcuts, all typical "CTRL + key" should work. As for software launch shortcuts, is probably not something I would use personally, and as long as I can choose not to use them I am okay with this being added too.

"Alt+tab" could perhaps be a thing too, but it is so easy to access the open apps menu via touchscreen anyways.

As a person from one of the Nordic countries, I really hope for a Nordic/Scandi layout. I have voiced my desire for this several times on Twitter, but I thought I might as well do it here too. I really want this phone. But I dont want to be without my ÅÄÖ signs either and also having the .,:;^~-_+ signs in the “correct” locations. ?

As for shortcuts, all typical “CTRL + key” should work. As for software launch shortcuts, is probably not something I would use personally, and as long as I can choose not to use them I am okay with this being added too.

“Alt+tab” could perhaps be a thing too, but it is so easy to access the open apps menu via touchscreen anyways.

I hope for a Nordic keyboard too. But IF we are not gong to have one, you should take a look at the QWERTZ one here

It is quite close to the standard Swedish. OK the print of Z&Y are swapped, and a Ü is printed for the Å, but it would not take long to learn to ignore a few 'wrong' prints, as long as each key gives what we expect.

As a person from one of the Nordic countries, I really hope for a Nordic/Scandi layout. I have voiced my desire for this several times on Twitter, but I thought I might as well do it here too. I really want this phone. But I dont want to be without my ÅÄÖ signs either and also having the .,:;^~-_+ signs in the “correct” locations. ?

As for shortcuts, all typical “CTRL + key” should work. As for software launch shortcuts, is probably not something I would use personally, and as long as I can choose not to use them I am okay with this being added too.

“Alt+tab” could perhaps be a thing too, but it is so easy to access the open apps menu via touchscreen anyways.

I hope for a Nordic keyboard too. But IF we are not gong to have one, you should take a look at the QWERTZ one here

It is quite close to the standard Swedish. OK the print of Z&Y are swapped, and a Ü is printed for the Å, but it would not take long to learn to ignore a few ‘wrong’ prints, as long as each key gives what we expect.

I would probably prefer the standard US QWERTY then over the German layout. You can get ÅÄÖ by holding down A and O for further options (if this will work as normal android keyboards; which it should). It is just a minor inconvenience. But having Y and Z in the wrong places would seriously fudge me up. ^^

I just wish FxTec would be more transparent on the demand and when/if we get to know if they are making a Scandi or not.

I would probably prefer the standard US QWERTY then over the German layout. You can get ÅÄÖ by holding down A and O for further options (if this will work as normal android keyboards; which it should). It is just a minor inconvenience. But having Y and Z in the wrong places would seriously fudge me up. ^^

OH. The functional and the visible layout does not have to be 100% identical. It would be the PRINT only, of course we would get a Y pressing the key between T and U no matter a printed Z, when selecting Swedish/Danish/Norwegian layout.

I can easily accept a few keys PRINTED 'wrong', but would hate to have æøå (or åäö) to be fetched in wrong places (I currently have this mess on both the BB Priv, and the click on keyboard for the S8- )

I will do what I can to have the functional layouts totally customisable. As soon as I know the format of the keyboard files I will make a program to modify them.

OH. The functional and the visible layout does not have to be 100% identical. It would be the PRINT only, of course we would get a Y pressing the key between T and U no matter a printed Z, when selecting Swedish/Danish/Norwegian layout.

I can easily accept a few keys PRINTED ‘wrong’, but would hate to have æøå (or åäö) to be fetched in wrong places (I currently have this mess on both the BB Priv, and the click on keyboard for the S8- )

I will do what I can to have the functional layouts totally customisable. As soon as I know the format of the keyboard files I will make a program to modify them.

This all assumes that this keyboard, like the PC-equivalents, can do such a switch. I.e. to have a phsyically differnet layout from the software layout. Not all keyboards can do that. If that is possible, then yes, then the QWERZ is better.