Alternative OS availability, common entry

Here is what we currently know on alternative operating systems.

Tech savvy users will also be pleased to know that we’ll support other independent, community-driven OSes beyond Android. We’ll offer loaner devices and driver support (under NDA) to core developers. We’ve already approached to some Lineage OS developers as a first step and plan to work with Sailfish OS developers & other communities. Our hope is to build a handset that runs your favourite OS.

from the January 16 newsletter https://www.fxtec.com/the-keyboard-smartphone-youve-been-waiting-for-software/

(I have merged a few threads in below)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can get an idea of SailfishOS Community Port status by checking out their known issues bug tracker... https://github.com/sailfish-on-fxtecpro1/droid-config-t5/issues

Lineage 16 for the pro1 seems to be on the way:  

Installing Sailfish OS is a must for me.

I have wanted a new keyboard phone for years, but if I'm stuck with Android I'll just keep waiting.

Pretty sure we will at least see a community edition pretty soon after release, if not before. A lot of sailfish fans have been waiting for this type of device a long time.

I'm curious if it will be "official" Sailfish. Based on my limited understanding, devices that have official Sailfish can run Android apps, and devices with unofficial community ports of Sailfish (i.e. Motorola Photon Q) cannot.

So I'm curious if Sailfish, when installed on Pro1 (I certainly wouldn't expect it to come pre-installed), will support the alien whatever for android apps.

And as the last poster asked, I wonder if running multiple OS's would be possible (sailfish, stock, and lineage all on same device, with grub type bootmenu etc)

Hey,

Have you thought about supporting Ubuntu Phone on this device? With the physical keyboard it could be a perfect match for engineers! You can now run android apps threw containers but you also get full linux functionality on the go, with a keyboard :D

Thank you

Hi!

First off, i think it is very nice to see a sliding phone! I have a BB keyone, but i would really like a device with both keyboard and more screen real-estate. However i have a couple of questions;

I have read on the forum that it will possible support other operating systems. How about Windows 10 ARM? I know, it wont be the fastest device - and it should be optional, for the end user, like other alternative operating systems.

But a small W10 device, with 4G LTE etc, would still make a very usefull UMPC.. The hardware is there, the operating system is there. However, it will still need drivers.

Furthermore; Will the USB C support display out, USB data and charging simultaneously? I.e. can it be docked?

Best regards

Andreas

ADD by moderator: Split your comment thread to a separate one and moved the OS part in here

Windows 10 ARM does run on Snapdragon 835 devices. Now that sounds like a nice fit, doesn't it? It's not that simple unfortunately.

In the ARM landscape there isn't exaclty a common way to discover and talk to device components, nor will you get anywhere without drivers.

But drivers are something you already mentioned. So where do we get these from? Certainly not from Microsoft. They've said in the past that Windows 10 ARM is not meant to be used with phones, so the chances of them supporting the Pro1, even with f(x)tec asking them, are rather low.

Windows 10 ARM support is rather limited in general either way. You may be more happier running a full Linux distro, though I wouldn't recommend either for using the device as a phone.

Win10 ARM will be an interesting OS for the device, but as other mentioned, there are closed source drivers not belong to us and this could be a major hindrance on getting the OS running.

Currently Sailfish OS is under adaptation progress, we will keep you updated.

Ubuntu Touch is also a very good option, will try to make that happen after SFOS. :)

Ubuntu Touch is also a very good option, will try to make that happen after SFOS. :)

I guess the work on sailfish may promote getting ubuntu phone working as well.

If you do go down ubuntu road i'd happily beta test :D

Nice, was already hoping for Sailfish as of Liang Chen is also a big fan of it :). Of course it would also be nice opting in for a purchased version to get Android support like at the Xperia X Series

Agree, I would be also happy to have Sailfish running with Android support.

I'm really looking forward to Sailfish OS. I had an old buggy version of it running on my old Nexus 5. Many features didn't really work good enough to be used as my daily driver but I still loved it.

Does anyone know if both layouts (qwertz with öäü / qwerty) will be supported? If not that might be a reason for me to pick up the qwerty version.