Alternative OS availability, common entry

How about Android One?

Does the existence of the keyboard require any OS-changes (not allowed in A1) or can it be logically handled as any external BT-keyboard? Or perhaps using the Accessibility API?

The Nokia 9 uses Android One, so it is not just entry levels phones using it any more.

As far as I know adding an optional launcher is allowed, so that should also work with your landscape optimised launcher.

It could be a really nice way to simplify things and also assure the security updates for at the least two years.

The question was also posed as part of this post, but never answered to my knowledge.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can get an idea of SailfishOS Community Port status by checking out their known issues bug tracker... https://github.com/sailfish-on-fxtecpro1/droid-config-t5/issues

Lineage 16 for the pro1 seems to be on the way:  

How about Android One?

From my understanding, Android One is pretty much a partnership program with Google. Google pretty much mandates manufacturer to do necessary changes and roll the updates within a timeframe.

Personally, I doubt this is going to happen. If phone was going to use Android One, they would have been touch with Google during the design phase already.

From my understanding, Android One is pretty much a partnership program with Google. Google pretty much mandates manufacturer to do necessary changes and roll the updates within a timeframe.

Personally, I doubt this is going to happen. If phone was going to use Android One, they would have been touch with Google during the design phase already.

Ah I see, and if they had, they would most likely have used that for marketing, so unlikely then. :-/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I currently have no Google apps loaded in my Droid 4 and hoping to do the same when this phone arrives. Is it possible for there to be a version of the stock OS to not include any Google apps, or is that prohibited by Google? I know that Sailfish and Lineage OS are also being worked on but I'm just a little concerned about hwo stable it'll be as a 3rd party OS, compared to the officially release versions (as far as my Droid goes, LineageOS is awesome bring Android 7.1 to a device that officially stopped at 4 but it's frustrating when it's unstable and features stop working randomly).

Related to this, I'm guessing there's no way an official Android phone with Google Play support can ever include microG, but what about signature spoofing support?

It depends a bit on what you mean by "google apps", as all the Android system apps in principle are Google apps.

But I assume you mean stuff like their maps, mails, drive, photos, youtube, chrome and many others, and YES you can disable these (even without the need to use ADB from a PC - that is a big axe for non rooted devices)

And remember that if not enough, they also promised that it is rootable, so that allows you to do practically anything. :)

PS Also remember that due to a really odd Android thing, you have to explicitly stop a running app you have disabled, otherwise it will continue to run - yes seriously....

• 4 weeks later...

I second the motion for an official version of the OS without the GApps -- no store, no play services, no other Groogle crapware. I am slightly distrustful of the Android OS itself because it is a Groogle product, but without the GApps, it's actually pretty nice. I'm currently running Lineage 14 (Android 7.1) on a Droid 4 with no GApps and I love it. I install the few programs I like from APK files and life is good. I update them from APK files when I feel the need. I would adore an official ROM for Pro1 which is free of the crapware out of the box like my favorite unofficial ROMs.

Many Buffalo routers have 2 distinct ROMs available; a "user-friendly" and an "advanced." The user friendly is their own weird thing, and the advanced is DD-WRT with a little Buffalo branding. Why not do the same thing? Offer a standard (with GApps) and an advanced (without GApps) version of the ROM. Obviously it should ship with the standard, but the availability of the advanced version for people like myself who would prefer it would be amazing.

I’m currently running Lineage 14 (Android 7.1) on a Droid 4 with no GApps and I love it.

Why not ... offer a standard (with GApps) and an advanced (without GApps) version of the ROM..

I think it makes more sense for FxTec to work with a Lineage maintainer than to make their own "custom rom". And I believe that's what's happening already, or at least what's supposed to happen based on previous comments.

think it makes more sense for FxTec to work with a Lineage maintainer than to make their own “custom rom”. And I believe that’s what’s happening already, or at least what’s supposed to happen based on previous comments.

I agree on that.

Hopefully Fxtec will help these ROM-makers all they need. But due to the relatively low volume, I do not see it realistic to sell it in multiple software versions.

But they could make it as easy as possible for people to swap.

Those that do NOT want Android Market and all the other Gapps installed, but merely the bare Android, must be technically knowledgeable enough to get and sideloade the Apps they need, so it is a fair assumption that rooting and flashing is not scaring concepts for them either.

Sure if this gets a huge success and they can sell 100000 devices with a different software, it is another story, but my guess would not be over a few thousand of each flavour of non-standard ROMs (SailFish, Lineage, ...et cetera).

I currently have no Google apps loaded in my Droid 4 and hoping to do the same when this phone arrives. Is it possible for there to be a version of the stock OS to not include any Google apps, or is that prohibited by Google?

I don't think it makes sense for fxtec to distribute a rom without google services and the other espionage stuff, however they are not actively fighting bootloader unlocking and rooting but even supporting it so it should be fairly easy to do so ourselves. I have no doubt other people will make and publish modified images, and it shouldn't take too too long for lineage to be pretty stable on the device being it has a common snapdragon chip and help from the manufacturer. In contrast the big name brands like shamesung will have active measures in place to stop you from unlocking the bootloader and the likes, so it takes a while for people to be able to run any custom image at all and sometimes it's not that nice of an experience.

(And for those unfamiliar with lineageOS or it's predecessor cyanogenmod, their ROMs do not include any google apps because google doesn't allow it. Many people install a "GApps" package with at least play store capability immediately after installing a custom rom, but some choose to continue google-free. Most other custom roms are lineage/cm based, and even those that are not, follow the same model to allow user more flexibility.)

• 2 weeks later...

So far we have engaged with developers of Sailfish OS (community port) and Lineage OS.

The developers are geniuses and they got both OS up and running.

In the future we will look into Postmarket OS, and Ubuntu Touch, and perhaps even more. And dual boot two OS (with one being Android)

think it makes more sense for FxTec to work with a Lineage maintainer than to make their own “custom rom”. And I believe that’s what’s happening already, or at least what’s supposed to happen based on previous comments.

I agree on that.

Hopefully Fxtec will help these ROM-makers all they need. But due to the relatively low volume, I do not see it realistic to sell it in multiple software versions.

But they could make it as easy as possible for people to swap.

Those that do NOT want Android Market and all the other Gapps installed, but merely the bare Android, must be technically knowledgeable enough to get and sideloade the Apps they need, so it is a fair assumption that rooting and flashing is not scaring concepts for them either.

Sure if this gets a huge success and they can sell 100000 devices with a different software, it is another story, but my guess would not be over a few thousand of each flavour of non-standard ROMs (SailFish, Lineage, …et cetera).

We will get the kernel source published so other ROM devs can work on it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Currently we have engaged with developers of Sailfish OS and Lineage OS.

We will also help with the adaptation of Maemo Leste.

More OS adaptation work will follow afterwards.

Yay :) i was actually searching if anyone mentioned Maemo Leste as it is such an amazing project (well basically only for the old n900 fanboys)

Currently we have engaged with developers of Sailfish OS and Lineage OS.

We will also help with the adaptation of Maemo Leste.

More OS adaptation work will follow afterwards.

Yay :) i was actually searching if anyone mentioned Maemo Leste as it is such an amazing project (well basically only for the old n900 fanboys)

Maemo is my favourite phone OS of all time. But I think it only works that great with a stylus.

• 4 weeks later...
So far we have engaged with developers of Sailfish OS (community port) and Lineage OS.

In the future we will look into Postmarket OS, and Ubuntu Touch, and perhaps even more. And dual boot two OS (with one being Android)

HI !

I am ready to buy the F(x)Tec Pro1 with Ubuntu running and a QWERTZ Keyboard.

Where can i apply to Order it ?

I am only interessted in a non Android Phone with full supported Ubuntu or at least SailfishOS.

Thanks in advance for the Info.

HI !

I am ready to buy the F(x)Tec Pro1 with Ubuntu running and a QWERTZ Keyboard.

Where can i apply to Order it ?

I am only interessted in a non Android Phone with full supported Ubuntu or at least SailfishOS.

Thanks in advance for the Info.

Sorry, this is an Android Phone that supports and unlockable bootloader allowing you to install whatever OS you like. So I guess you're probably not interested :(

There is work on SailfishOS but it's community run. You are more than welcome to port Ubuntu, but don't think anybody's trying that yet, and not super simple. There's a maemo-leste effort tho, that's vaguely close as both have debian roots. But I doubt either one will be as polished as Android if you expect that. If not, install SfOS and enjoy :)

Lineage has been brought up on the Pro1, builds will be available once the device is actually released:

<twitter-widget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 550px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="1148357734204616704"></twitter-widget>

<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Until now "f(x)tec" is not listed with the "pro1" in the lineage list https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/ . Well, the phone is not released yet ;-)

I would order the phone as soon as the first lineage release appears. Will the lineage release appear in September 2019, too?