Leaked photos of Pro2 prototype

9 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

I took it as the bottom panel was a complete touch sensitive e-ink area.  And basically you could put anything there 🙂

Yes, but if it is touch only, and not with physical keys that can be felt in the fingertips, it is far less interesting. Sure better than a slab, but....

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The title is a lie and plain clickbait, but let's have a laugh while we wait :).

Leaked - Exclusive sleeve for the earliest pre-orders.  

The next update video came faster than expected, wow.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes, but if it is touch only, and not with physical keys that can be felt in the fingertips, it is far less interesting. Sure better than a slab, but....

Quite agree.  Individual eink keys 😄 imagine how expensive that would be to replace

25 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

Quite agree.  Individual eink keys 😄 imagine how expensive that would be to replace

Ah well I imaged an e-ink display with transparent keys. I do not know if they can make holes in e-ink displays yet though. But we have had LCD displays with holes for over 30 years, so...

8 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Ah well I imaged an e-ink display with transparent keys. I do not know if they can make holes in e-ink displays yet though. But we have had LCD displays with holes for over 30 years, so...

Interesting idea.  I wonder how that would look at an angle though?

4 hours ago, david said:

Interesting idea.  I wonder how that would look at an angle though?

Well if the depth ends large enough so the parallax is large enough to be an issue, I guess all that is needed is a setting for an offset of the 'prints' to the most common viewing angle - Or adjusted by an eye-tracker...

57 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Or adjusted by an eye-tracker...

HA!

Oh, at first, I thought you meant the keys would move around based on your eyes.  You mean the ink would move.  Still tricky, but more doable than the keys moving. :-)

Edited by david
  • Haha 2
Just now, netman said:

who actually looks at the keyboard after using it for a few weeks though?

Oh, so we don't need any writing on them.  We can just get them with blank keys and write on them with some marker that wears off after a few weeks? :-)

I still have to cheat for numbers sometimes or to make sure my fingers are on the right keys sometimes, and definitely for some of the punctuation characters that aren't used as often.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, david said:

Oh, so we don't need any writing on them.  We can just get them with blank keys and write on them with some marker that wears off after a few weeks? 🙂

I still have to cheat for numbers sometimes or to make sure my fingers are on the right keys sometimes, and definitely for some of the punctuation characters that aren't used as often.

I find that not such a crazy proposition as long as I get the nubs on F and J (and 5 for numpads). I do cheat and take a peep for symbols often enough, but I feel like if that wasn't an option I'd learn it soon enough.

31 minutes ago, netman said:

who actually looks at the keyboard after using it for a few weeks though?

Server work. Conscious and accurate typing alone can result into disasters on a production server, let alone if it was done on a touch screen. There are occasions that you simply can't pull out a laptop, busy London trains that I spend 2 hours a day on, gym...

• Like 2

I've just had an idea

Have a normal oled display under the keyboard and the keys magnify the oled below to there own surface (has to be oled to get the black) so keys would be made normally just transparent in the middle 😉 

Dealing with key presses is an interesting one to solve 🤔

11 minutes ago, netman said:

I find that not such a crazy proposition as long as I get the nubs on F and J (and 5 for numpads). I do cheat and take a peep for symbols often enough, but I feel like if that wasn't an option I'd learn it soon enough.

It reminds me of a friend of mine that in a large company was tired of his special keyboard 'disappearing', so he took of all the keytops, permuted them and put them back... Twice the keyboard 'went missing' and 'came back' 🤣

But especially for odd (say Ctrl+Fn+Alt) combinations, e-ink displaying the actual options if paused for a second would be AWESOME!

42 minutes ago, Erik said:

Server work. Conscious and accurate typing alone can result into disasters on a production server, let alone if it was done on a touch screen. There are occasions that you simply can't pull out a laptop, busy London trains that I spend 2 hours a day on, gym...

Definitively. I have used Pro1 for this purpose and it worked perfectly (having a non-shifted physical QWERTZ layout anyway using standard QWERTY layout).
[I am currently waiting for my pre-order having IGG coupon to arrive but I have bought another one so I can use it since the very end of last year.]

I have tried to do similar things on my Moto G6 software keyboard and it was really inconvenient so I have almost never used it to do such things as it is extremely inconvenient.

So with Pro1, I am having similar feelings I had with my N900 earlier but it is even better. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 8:38 PM, EskeRahn said:

I just learned this has been done:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
12 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Never heard of it..... a must have... Just bought one from ebay for $16 and twice that in shipping(!) *LOL*

Yes, this is a very cool idea! Perhaps the Pro2 will have an e-ink keyboard with an actual b/w pixel display behind it so that key mapping can be literally anything you desire and the labels will match. 😄

1 minute ago, silversolver said:

Yes, this is a very cool idea! Perhaps the Pro2 will have an e-ink keyboard with an actual b/w pixel display behind it so that key mapping can be literally anything you desire and the labels will match. 😄

...and if dumb slider, perhaps with TWO set of rails, so it can slide in either direction, to the benefit of those loving portrait keyboards....

• Haha 3