Any updates on desktop OS's?

3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Believe it or not, actually I have come across people that prefers these horrible touchpads over real mice. For those it could be interesting.

And for use at some random remote location borrowing a display to show something, it would simplify to not have to consider a real mouse also.

I don't mind using a real trackpad, though I heartily prefer a real mouse, but having to use the screen as a trackpad sounds cumbersome, because you're obscuring things with your finger as you're moving them. To each their own. Options are wonderful--that's my takeaway value. I sincerely appreciate that people are so willing to provide options.

EDIT: just realized what you meant about borrowing a display, which solves the obscuring issue. That could actually be pretty cool.

Edited by silversolver
comment
  • Like 2
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been playing with chroot on the Pro¹ lately, extremely happy with it, even though it is still rough around the edges. Even my N900 never felt so close to an actual pocketable computer. Therefor

this is my mobile "desktop" solution. i want to make it with my pro1.

Ubu chroot on Pro¹ running SFOS: Thanks Preflex and TheKit!  

Posted Images

Well, we're also obscuring a lot of screen space with a keyboard right now, so I don't believe it would be too much of a problem.

My problem is that my eyes are good but my thumbs are big. I've everything set to the lowest size but my thumbs just want to press multiple buttons at once. Especially in this forum I often click the wrong things (like site numbers, forums/names instead of topics). Zooming is not an option for me, that's why I came up with a cursor.

Especially when working with datasheets, that would be very helpful. The current touchscreen implementation isn't really usable. Maybe it gets better with a 6" screen, but it's good to have more options.

Late to the party and didn't thoroughly read the 3 pages, but PostmarketOS (based on Alpine) will be an interesting option. It's not very advanced on the Pro¹ yet, but I discussed with PostmarketOS people and they said the OS comes with its own kernel and is mostly device-agnostic, so it should be able to boot on the Pro¹ relatively easily (which does not mean everything will work out of the box of course).

I've talked with someone with a pre-production Pro¹ who said there is still a bit of work before it boots, but I got the impression that it would be very feasible. Interestingly, PostmarketOS can boot from the SD card (not a true multi-boot with a menu yet, at this stage a computer is needed to force the SD card boot, but this may change), which really is a game changer for development.

I'll be trying everything I can with those alternate OSes (PostmarketOS, Leste, SFOS) once I get my toy.

Edited by matf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
On 11/14/2019 at 2:34 PM, QWERTYAndreas said:

However its still android, and Will still miss the desktop applikations - which is quite important for productivity in my case. Microsoft Office with a browser simply wont do.

Haha - "Microsoft" and "productivity" in ONE statement! 😄

SCNR 😉

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Well, we're also obscuring a lot of screen space with a keyboard right now, so I don't believe it would be too much of a problem.

My problem is that my eyes are good but my thumbs are big. I've everything set to the lowest size but my thumbs just want to press multiple buttons at once. Especially in this forum I often click the wrong things (like site numbers, forums/names instead of topics). Zooming is not an option for me, that's why I came up with a cursor.

Especially when working with datasheets, that would be very helpful. The current touchscreen implementation isn't really usable. Maybe it gets better with a 6" screen, but it's good to have more options.

Use a stylus 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
6 hours ago, Polaris said:

Ahhh, the good ol' N950, loved that phone!  Back in the day I would carry it and the Droid 3 everywhere I went, lol.

Still using a Droid 4, although not this second....the Loo....Priv jumped into my hands again 😮 Honestly, I don't hate the PRIV, but I can hardly wait for Pro1 to arrive! Back of the line together, eh bud?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, silversolver said:

Still using a Droid 4, although not this second....the Loo....Priv jumped into my hands again 😮 Honestly, I don't hate the PRIV, but I can hardly wait for Pro1 to arrive! Back of the line together, eh bud?

You are a better man than me!  I just couldn't acclimate to the Priv!  As you know, I'm still using the Droid 4 too (everyday, all day), and most certainly can't wait for the Pro1!  Thankfully, tdb is doing an absolutely fantastic job with LOS, so now I'm definitely ready to get one in my hands.  Previously, there was no rush, now I'm champing at the bit! Lol.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Polaris said:

You are a better man than me!  I just couldn't acclimate to the Priv!  As you know, I'm still using the Droid 4 too (everyday, all day), and most certainly can't wait for the Pro1!  Thankfully, tdb is doing an absolutely fantastic job with LOS, so now I'm definitely ready to get one in my hands.  Previously, there was no rush, now I'm champing at the bit! Lol.

I still use the Droid for most stuff; I carry it during the day, and use it for all serious-ish text entry on a mobile device (such as this, while I sit in my comfy chair. :) I pretty much just use the Priv when I'm laying in bed watching Finnish rednecks explode stuff with a hydraulic press ROFL. The keyboard on the Priv pretty much only gets used incidentally when I feel compelled to comment on something I saw. Occasionally I will use the Priv on the forum here when the Droid had a long day and the battery died hard. The Droid is still by far my preferred device for most tasks, and the one I would pick if I had to choose just one between the two, assuming VaZelon doesn't kill it before I get the Pro1. To quote James Veitch, "I find that unlikely." :)

7 hours ago, silversolver said:

I still use the Droid for most stuff; I carry it during the day, and use it for all serious-ish text entry on a mobile device (such as this, while I sit in my comfy chair. 🙂 I pretty much just use the Priv when I'm laying in bed watching Finnish rednecks explode stuff with a hydraulic press ROFL. The keyboard on the Priv pretty much only gets used incidentally when I feel compelled to comment on something I saw. Occasionally I will use the Priv on the forum here when the Droid had a long day and the battery died hard. The Droid is still by far my preferred device for most tasks, and the one I would pick if I had to choose just one between the two, assuming VaZelon doesn't kill it before I get the Pro1. To quote James Veitch, "I find that unlikely." 🙂

How well does thr Droid perform with everydays tasks? If I open Whatsapp (I have to) with the Moto G3 (similar, little better specs), it often takes 5-10 seconds to open. And except for Maps a calender (non-google, but probably with google framework/synchronisation) and a browser (hey there!), I use very few apps. LineageOS.

How does it work out for you? Are you just that patient?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

How well does thr Droid perform with everydays tasks? If I open Whatsapp (I have to) with the Moto G3 (similar, little better specs), it often takes 5-10 seconds to open. And except for Maps a calender (non-google, but probably with google framework/synchronisation) and a browser (hey there!), I use very few apps. LineageOS.

How does it work out for you? Are you just that patient?

I would say our experiences are pretty similar. I am using LOS14.1 and Brave Browser, K9 mail, and little else. I occasionally use Sygic Navigation, and it's slow to load, but works fine once it's up. Polaris Ride Command is a total dog, but actually does work if you're REALLY patient. I found that switching from zram to true swap on the SD (su, swapoff /dev/block/zram0, swapon /mnt/media_rw/XXXX-XXXX/swapfile on every reboot) gives MUCH better reliability and far fewer random reboots with slightly better performance under some circumstances because it has more real RAM available. But in some respects, yes, I'm just that patient. :P

• Like 2
13 hours ago, TheKit said:

Can be reproduced on Sailfish with https://github.com/elros34/sailfish_ubu_chroot. Tried this myself (not with Qt studio, but it ran Chromium though). But N950, wow. Now I want to run Harmattan on Fxtec pro1...

Can also be done on Android: https://f-droid.org/de/packages/org.dyndns.sven_ola.debian_kit/

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kontakt said:

True. XWayland performance seems to be much better compared to XServer XSDL on Android though, plus we have some kernel options like SystemV IPC enabled. It is also possible to start full blown Linux system in LXC container or with systemd-nspawn thanks to kernel namespaces.

• Thanks 1

Debian chroot was really something I loved on Maemo. On SFOS, the lack of true keyboard made it harder to use. The experience should be much better on the Pro¹ with its specifications. Did you try it on the SFOS port already TheKit? 

Looking forward to getting a somewhat functional port for PostmarketOS too, since booting it from the SD card makes it a perfect travel computer while not compromising the mobile OS part in internal memory.

Edited by matf
10 hours ago, matf said:

But there is a SFOS port that looks quite advanced already. There are still open issues, but I'll install it as soon as I find a way to make a backup of the factory state of the Pro1.

You can use this 

• Thanks 2
31 minutes ago, matf said:

Yes, I later found that thread too, thanks. If I understand correctly, I don't need to make any backup of the Pro¹ when I get it because everything necessary to restore the factory state is already in files that I can download, right?

And If you are pessimistic you can download the file now so you can restore, even if their server for what ever reason does not offer the file if you need it in a couple of years,

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

And If you are pessimistic you can download the file now so you can restore, even if their server for what ever reason does not offer the file if you need it in a couple of years,

prob should setup some fan-mirrors 🙂

• 2 weeks later...