Independent reviews

54 minutes ago, SchattengestaIt said:

By the way, I had a reminder in my phone that told me every three months to check if there were new keyboard phones. If I hadn't, I would have received the information from Linus first. So there is definitely a wider consumer group out there.

Alas it is on a secondary channel of theirs instead of the main LTT one, but still 84k views in the two days it's been up, good amount of publicity :).

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is just a review I posted at another site.  I am not a professional reviewer nor can I claim to be independent.  😉 http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/review-of-the-f-x-tec-pro1-keyboard-sli

🙂

Just a brief summary from me, I may do better review once I used it for some longer time. But I wanted to give a short update so people see that the phone is not as bad as some people here say: I a

Posted Images

On 2/15/2020 at 10:42 AM, netman said:

Alas it is on a secondary channel of theirs instead of the main LTT one, but still 84k views in the two days it's been up, good amount of publicity :).

The channel was advertised the first time yesterday and there will be more adverts for it. Also, the way that YouTube works, I expect a lot of publicity for it sooner or later. I'll be alright.

• Like 2

As an aside, I passed his along to T-Mobile today:

Just a related note about my interaction yesterday.  I don't know how to get this in front of who it would need to be in front of at T-Mobile, but this phone (the FxTec Pro1) is the only modern phone with a horizontal sliding keyboard being made.

Back in the mid to late 2000's, T-Mobile had a great marketing campaign around the sidekick line of phones (they also had physical keyboards).

I think it could be a feather in T-Mobile's hat if they worked out a deal with fxtec to sell this phone in the united states.

Just wanted to pass this along.

T-Mobile:  I appreciate this feedback, David!   My name is Paul and I remember the Sidekick from back in the day and I do very much miss that phone as it was a lot of fun, especially with that physical keyboard!  

Believe me, that's a great idea that I love and my teammates love that we're always excited to get passed along! 

That being said, if you do have any other questions about anything else or any other suggestions, please let us know and we'd be happy to be there for you. Hope your day has been a good one! ^PaulPerkins

Me:  Hi Paul.  Does that mean you'll be able to pass that idea on to someone in t-mobile?

T-Mobile:  We do have teams that can pass along our suggestions to and I will definitely pass this along as a suggestion! 🙂 Thanks for asking and if you have any adjacent questions in the meantime, please be sure to give us a shout! ^PaulPerkins

No other questions at this time.  Thanks for passing it along

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here is an amateur review of Pro1 written by me if you want check it out. It is in Finnish so you might not understand everything but you can give a try to Google translator. At least, you can check the photos that I took with Pro1 (Snapdragon vs. Google Camera (PocoPhone F1 port)).

Short summary:

Pro1 might not be a perfect device but it has great potential. It is an excellent typing machine for productive work with great build quality. Slider mechanism is rock solid and keyboard is fantastic after you get used to the size. You might not be able to write faster than with virtual keyboard but in my opinion writing is more accurate. I don't like every design decision that they have made (mainly fingerprint sensor and stereo speakers location) and there are several hiccups with the software. However, software can be fixed with updates later on. I really hope that random reboots and keyboard driver issues can be fixed soon. Price tag is rather high for the specs but you will get reasonable performance in practice with that hardware. Even so Pro1 is not able to convince in every area, it is a good smartphone for people that are looking for a physical keyboard.

Benchmarks

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thanks 7
28 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

Here is an amateur review of Pro1 written by me if you want check it out. It is in Finnish so you might not understand everything but you can give a try to Google translator. At least, you can check the photos that I took with Pro1 (Snapdragon vs. Google Camera (PocoPhone F1 port)).

Nice and thorough review, thanks. 😁

A tiny detail in the conclusion, that may be a translation error. The translation says "rugged", many would expect that to include some IP-rating. So maybe add the lack of that as a Con, so people do not get the wrong impression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Nice and thorough review, thanks. 😁

A tiny detail in the conclusion, that may be a translation error. The translation says "rugged", many would expect that to include some IP-rating. So maybe add the lack of that as a Con, so people do not get the wrong impression.

It is a translation error. Finnish iso very hard language to translators. I was looking for a word robust or sturdy. I might try to translate it to English by myself If I have time.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

It is a translation error. Finnish iso very hard language to translators. I was looking for a word robust or sturdy. I might try to translate it to English by myself If I have time.

Ah! That would be a good idea, and reach a broader audience. Actually the Google translate is quite readable, so might not be that hard to adjust it where it fails. And yes indeed robust and sturdy would both be fitting IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

New review from Pocket-lint (updated 3 March 2020)

Quick verdict

If you're convinced the likes of the Nokia N97 or the HTC Desire Z need to make a comeback, you might just love the FxTec Pro1. However, we've had too many little frustrations with the phone's keyboard to have really enjoyed using it.
Read full verdict

For
  • Keyboard has handy shortcuts
  • Battery lasts well
  • Sturdy build quality
  • Display is vivid
  • Clean software experience
Against
  • Keys aren't greatest typing feel
  • No auto punctuation
  • Keyboard too wide for reach
  • So-so camera experience