LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

17 minutes ago, tdm said:

I'm using GSM (an AT&T MVNO) so I don't use VoLTE.  Is there any way to test VoLTE in the US without signing up for VZW service?

I'd be happy to send you a working SIM card you could use if you would ever want to play around with it.

• Thanks 4
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Is the keyboard turned off while closed on Lineage? If not squeezing the device might send a key, and we do not want that to wake in say a pocket.

So if it is NOT turned off closed it should be a single key hard to press by squeezing. If it IS off closed, other things should be considered.
The modifiers would be good, as there is no 'risk' in tapping those, the same way there is in taping a key that could have a function. If say an incoming call arrives just as you press Enter, so 'any' keys might not be optimal.

So safe keys in all scenarios will be the Shift-keys, as neither of the keys are likely to be accessed squeezing, and neither can have unwanted side effects.

I believe it is turned off when the device is sleeping (not necessarily just when the screen is off or when the slider is closed).  At least that is what the code says.  My plan was to detect when the screen is off and send KEY_WAKEUP instead of the pressed key (eg. eat the keypress).

14 hours ago, tdm said:

I believe it is turned off when the device is sleeping (not necessarily just when the screen is off or when the slider is closed).  At least that is what the code says.  My plan was to detect when the screen is off and send KEY_WAKEUP instead of the pressed key (eg. eat the keypress).

Yeah if screen is off I see no issue in swapping it to KEY_WAKEUP instead of pressed key.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

Yeah if screen is off I see no issue in swapping it to KEY_WAKEUP instead of pressed key.

(I just waned to make sure that the bug from the current stock has not been copied over to Lineage. With stock you can try to close on say a toothpick, and see you can activate keys even if the slider is closed, this means that squeezing the device in say a pocket can press a key)

26 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

(I just waned to make sure that the bug from the current stock has not been copied over to Lineage. With stock you can try to close on say a toothpick, and see you can activate keys even if the slider is closed, this means that squeezing the device in say a pocket can press a key)

This issue should still be in the current kernel. Please file an issue on github so I will remember to fix it.

• Like 1

I've done a bit of testing with SIP this morning because I haven't gotten voice working with my cell provider.  Both inbound and outbound SIP calls seem to work fine.  So any calling issues must be with the actual cell radio.

• Thanks 4
1 minute ago, tdm said:

I've done a bit of testing with SIP this morning because I haven't gotten voice working with my cell provider.  Both inbound and outbound SIP calls seem to work fine.  So any calling issues must be with the actual cell radio.

I checked gsm call and it seems to work now with test6. 😄 I'll check again tomorrow.

Something seems to be off with the clock.

I rebooted at ~19:40 and before putting in my sim pin my 7:20 morning alarm activated. Weird...
Also the last full charge from battery is 22 hours ago which is wrong because I started charging when i got to bed and it should not be more than 18 hours.
I can give you the logs if it helps.  

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, mcdinner said:

I checked gsm call and it seems to work now with test6. 😄 I'll check again tomorrow.

Something seems to be off with the clock.

I rebooted at ~19:40 and before putting in my sim pin my 7:20 morning alarm activated. Weird...
Also the last full charge from battery is 22 hours ago which is wrong because I started charging when i got to bed and it should not be more than 18 hours.
I can give you the logs if it helps.  

Hmm, that is odd.  When is the last time you checked GSM calling?  The vendor update did not change much:

$ git show --name-only HEAD | grep "^pro1" | egrep -v "(jar|apk)$" | egrep -v "(chromatix|camera)"
pro1/proprietary/vendor/etc/sensors/sensor_def_qcomdev.conf
pro1/proprietary/vendor/firmware/ipa_fws.b01
pro1/proprietary/vendor/firmware/ipa_fws.elf
pro1/proprietary/vendor/firmware/ipa_fws.mdt

Can someone else verify that GSM calling works?

As for the clock, I haven't changed anything there.  Qualcomm devices don't keep time between reboots, so time is fetched from the cell network or NTP at boot.  But if the device was on the entire time, it should have kept time properly.  I've had no issues with my device.  Anyone else?

10 minutes ago, tdm said:

Hmm, that is odd.  When is the last time you checked GSM calling?  The vendor update did not change much:

4 days ago. I did not bother to try because you did not mention fixing anything related, 2 days ago i received a call but used speaker as workaround.

14 minutes ago, tdm said:

As for the clock, I haven't changed anything there.  Qualcomm devices don't keep time between reboots, so time is fetched from the cell network or NTP at boot.  But if the device was on the entire time, it should have kept time properly. 

I retried again with a new alarm set 15 minutes back from now. After reboot it i get notification for 2 upcoming alarms (the morning and my test) and after a few seconds it switches to missed the test alarm. It seems to take a few seconds to get the wifi or network to get correct time.
After a few retries the testalarm started again. oO

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, bmccrary said:

I had to go back to stock because somehow "VoLTE" got turned off again.  I could not get/make calls or send/receive SMS/MMS when this happened.  I was nowhere near a computer either so it was a major hassle for the day.  FWIW, it never worked under the older stock builds either, so I'm not sure if any of the vendor blob updates would change anything. 

I get the impression this issue will be ongoing for a long time as there is no one to keep up with it, and that's OK, but it does mean anyone in the US using the largest carrier in the country can't use Lineage.  I would think Sprint would have the same problem.  I imagine some work might happen to the core Lineage when CDMA/3G is turned off completely next year, as then no phone of any kind running Lineage on a former CDMA carrier will work anymore, as a phone anyway.

It still baffles me that THE alternative Android build still has such terrible support of the SIM info menu; it knows it exists, and can show you the settings, but can't authenticate to change them. This is NOT a complaint about @tdm either; I see it as a platform shortcoming that the entire LOS community needs to gather and address. It is DEFINITELY going to come to a head next year as networks start decommissioning their legacy voice bands in favor of new data protocols. For the record, I think swapping voice bands to data is STUPID, but it's what they've decided to do, and they don't ask us little people, because we all know that having a 200mbps connection to our phone is going to be important in 100 years, so why not prepare now, right? 😣

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, silversolver said:

It still baffles me that THE alternative Android build still has such terrible support of the SIM info menu; it knows it exists, and can show you the settings, but can't authenticate to change them. This is NOT a complaint about @tdm either; I see it as a platform shortcoming that the entire LOS community needs to gather and address. It is DEFINITELY going to come to a head next year as networks start decommissioning their legacy voice bands in favor of new data protocols. For the record, I think swapping voice bands to data is STUPID, but it's what they've decided to do, and they don't ask us little people, because we all know that having a 200mbps connection to our phone is going to be important in 100 years, so why not prepare now, right? 😣

I also can't change it in Stock, only on my old Motorola. Yes, it's a bit annoying if you need a change, but typically you should only need to change it once and be happy 🙂

Just tried to install LineageOS, and it went much smoother than I had hoped.

The guide was 100% correct, no guessing needing, and everything went perfectly smooth. (Yes yes, a few documented bugs are still there),

So big kudos to @tdm and others that have been involved, awesome job. 😎😎😎

• Thanks 3
5 minutes ago, tdm said:

FYI .. I'm heading out of town shortly and won't be back until Monday.  No new builds until then.  I'll leave you with a Lineage splash that I made just for fun:

Lineage Splash

Flash this to the "splash" partition with fastboot.  Here's the original in case you want to go back:

Stock Splash

nice :)
have a good weekend

• Thanks 1

TDM, I flashed a new ROM (self built) from your repos today to test latest vendor blobs.  I figured I'd give them a go. Audio services are still a train-wreck.  Randomly stops working, then reboots.  During this time, you don't know its not working but any phone calls, texts and alarms are missed.  Same as before.  This is a show-stopper.  However, I can no longer use the older images from McCreary as they cause Lineage to not boot (stuck on boot animation).  Anything I can do to get it booting with the older vendor images again?  I already ensured AVB was disabled.  Also, I cannot down grade to an older system that does boot as something changed in my userdata that causes that to bootloop and I eventually end up in recovery where it tells me I need to wipe userdata.

I managed to capture probably the most relevant thing I can find with this problem: the constant crashing of the audio service in the background:

02-19 17:46:51.267   747   969 F libc    : Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 2 (SEGV_ACCERR), fault addr 0xe908bb38 in tid 969 ([email protected]), pid 747 ([email protected])
02-19 17:46:51.388  2492  2492 F DEBUG   : *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
02-19 17:46:51.388  2492  2492 F DEBUG   : LineageOS Version: '16.0-20200219-UNOFFICIAL-pro1'
02-19 17:46:51.388  2492  2492 F DEBUG   : Build fingerprint: 'Fxtec/QX1000_EEA/QX1000:9/PKQ1.190723.001/05500.19Q401:user/release-keys'
02-19 17:46:51.388  2492  2492 F DEBUG   : Revision: '0'
02-19 17:46:51.388  2492  2492 F DEBUG   : ABI: 'arm'
02-19 17:46:51.388  2492  2492 F DEBUG   : pid: 747, tid: 969, name: [email protected]  >>> /vendor/bin/hw/[email protected] <<<
02-19 17:46:51.388  2492  2492 F DEBUG   : signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 2 (SEGV_ACCERR), fault addr 0xe908bb38
02-19 17:46:51.388  2492  2492 F DEBUG   :     r0  ffffffff  r1  e929c334  r2  000186a0  r3  000186a0
02-19 17:46:51.388  2492  2492 F DEBUG   :     r4  e92bf454  r5  e929c334  r6  e92bf444  r7  000186a0
02-19 17:46:51.388  2492  2492 F DEBUG   :     r8  e90a2afc  r9  00000000  r10 e90a2ba8  r11 00001000
02-19 17:46:51.388  2492  2492 F DEBUG   :     ip  ead2a600  sp  e8e7f8e8  lr  eacd968d  pc  e908bb38
02-19 17:46:51.390  2492  2492 F DEBUG   :
02-19 17:46:51.390  2492  2492 F DEBUG   : backtrace:
02-19 17:46:51.390  2492  2492 F DEBUG   :     #00 pc 0008bb38  [anon:libc_malloc:e9000000]
02-19 17:46:51.390  2492  2492 F DEBUG   :     #01 pc 00054689  /system/lib/libc.so (__set_errno_internal+4)
02-19 17:46:51.390  2492  2492 F DEBUG   :     #02 pc 00005000  <unknown>

These repeat over and over again though the backtrace on subsequent crashes is either "<unknown>" or "#00 pc 0000ab38  [anon:libc_malloc:ee280000]" (or something similar).

Edited by JooJooBee666
Added crash log.

@JooJooBee666 yes I'm aware that audio still has issues. I plan to make that top priority for next week. But feel free to poke at it before then. :)

The issue with stock vendor is the fstab -- stock uses FDE and lineage uses FBE. You need to do some shenanigans to overlay the lineage fstab to let it boot with stock vendor.

• Thanks 2

@tdm ok, thanks.  I'm really not sure what to do with the backtrace here as there is so little information.  I can't use addr2line to trace it back to anything as it abruptly ends on <unknown>.   The only thing I was planning on attempting was just replacing all the audio libraries from the last known working vendor.img I have and seeing if that helped, unless you can confirm these have NOT changed since McCreary's manually created vendor imgs?

2 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

@tdm ok, thanks.  I'm really not sure what to do with the backtrace here as there is so little information.  I can't use addr2line to trace it back to anything as it abruptly ends on <unknown>.   The only thing I was planning on attempting was just replacing all the audio libraries from the last known working vendor.img I have and seeing if that helped, unless you can confirm these have NOT changed since McCreary's manually created vendor imgs?

I cannot confirm nor deny any audio changes, as I'm not at a PC. Look at the proprietary files lists to see what is copied from stock. The rest is built.

Edit: also look at the vendor audio props.

Edited by tdm
On 2/18/2020 at 3:09 PM, mcdinner said:

If there is no downside of using all keys, why not 🙂

I agree.  The only downside of it being a certain key is having to know which key, which is an issue with stock.  Took me about a week to figure it out by accident.  At least one reviewer mentioned no wake on  keypress as an issue, as its not intuitive to think its only esc.  But once one knows which key, it doesnt matter.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Craig said:

I agree.  The only downside of it being a certain key is having to know which key, which is an issue with stock.  Took me about a week to figure it out by accident.  At least one reviewer mentioned no wake on  keypress as an issue, as its not intuitive to think its only esc.  But once one knows which key, it doesnt matter.

Yeah you can blame this on PC's TBH as waking a PC is all keys.

• Haha 1

Browsing for "Night Light" I found the much more powerful "LiveDisplay".

And especially noticed the "Colour calibration". Setting the PreProd unit to RGB=(100%,90%,80%) I get a perfect neutral black to white scale. And then can adjust that with the day/light settings. Awesome!!!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Browsing for "Night Light" I found the much more powerful "LiveDisplay".

And especially noticed the "Colour calibration". Setting the PreProd unit to RGB=(100%,90%,80%) I get a perfect neutral black to white scale. And then can adjust that with the day/light settings. Awesome!!!

Do you mean this has helped with the brightness green tinge issue at low levels?