LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

So I decided to test the fingerprint sensor.  I've had it disabled since the middle of December cuz it wasn't working well, but with fixes in place, felt like the time to test again.

I spent my time recording three fingerprints, imagining all the digits I might use to unlock it.   Locked, then tried, none would work.  Okay, let's reboot, maybe it needs that.  Nope, now it doesn't have my fingerprints saved anymore.  Try again with just one fingerprint.  Same deal; doesn't work, reboot it disappears.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

11 hours ago, tdm said:

I would greatly appreciate if all you QWERTZ folks could get together and come up with a keymap that fits best.  I'll be happy to re-post the instructions for modifying the keymap.  Alternatively, if that is not possible, we can discuss making additional layouts (but I don't know what to call them...)

I would like to help. In my opinion, we should make QWERTZ keyboard act like the print. Then we should be able to remap QWERTZ for Scandic etc. with different layout option. QWERTZ is really close to Scandic so there is very little changes (basicly Y<->Z, Ü->Å in Finnish). Where I can find the instructions? 

8 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

No, I'm using QWERTY. Though I ordered QWERTZ but Fxtec failed and delivered me QWERTY. They promised to replace it when all preorders have been fulfilled, but looks like it won't happen too soon. And I have learned to live with QWERTY too, so perhaps no need for replacement at all.

I tried built in Finnish layout, and it works as good as the FinQWERTY one. Which means that it doesn't solve this problem. I still don't have a button to type @ : or '  . Edit: just found out that sym+2 provides @, but it doesn't work on other characters. Possibly something else also missing but those are what I need. Btw thank you @tdm for the Lineage driver explanation. It partly makes sense, but as long as only "shift" modifier works for symbols, the keyboard is like your pc keyboard with "alt" buttons ripped off.

So I learned there is no need to use FinQWERTY on Lineage, but also there's something in Lineage's keymapping (or somewhere else, idk) that breaks the fn/alt/yellow arrow modifier.

Finnish mapping is working only for QWERTY units. If you select Finnish on QWERTZ then the keys doesn't match at all with the prints. So we would still need FinQWERTY or similar for QWERTZ units.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Craig said:

So I decided to test the fingerprint sensor.  I've had it disabled since the middle of December cuz it wasn't working well, but with fixes in place, felt like the time to test again.

I spent my time recording three fingerprints, imagining all the digits I might use to unlock it.   Locked, then tried, none would work.  Okay, let's reboot, maybe it needs that.  Nope, now it doesn't have my fingerprints saved anymore.  Try again with just one fingerprint.  Same deal; doesn't work, reboot it disappears.

You most likely have a full fingerprint set in /persist. Delete everything under /persist/data/fingerprint and reboot. That should fix it.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, tdm said:

test9 is up.  Changes:

* Fix notification light.

THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU!    

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
10 hours ago, tdm said:

test9 is up.  Changes:

* Fix notification light.

* Fix WiFi signal strength indicator.

* Add fingerprint mitigations.

Thanks! It works perfect! 😁

Especially the last one I bet will help those not using a case.

Would it be possible to not count the 2secs from last registered attempt but from last sensor-touch?

That is if I repeatedly press (or even hold) a wrong finger/hand-part at the sensor, it should be ignored, until I leave it free for at least 2s, and then activate it again.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

Finnish mapping is working only for QWERTY units. If you select Finnish on QWERTZ then the keys doesn't match at all with the prints. So we would still need FinQWERTY or similar for QWERTZ units.

I think the idea @tdm is using is to handle which physical keyboard-print we got first, mapping either to be usable by the standard android language files on top.

This should mean that there will be no hard need for additional mapping for normal text and the most ordinary symbols.

We MIGHT want some additional mapping for extra symbols etc, but that same mapping would then also work on any other qwerty-phone, and not be Pro1 specific (nor specific to qwertY or qwertZ) That is, if you want a special symbol pressing say Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Sym+Q you would get that no matter where the Q key physically is printed.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I think the idea @tdm is using is to handle which physical keyboard-print we got first, mapping either to be usable by the standard android language files on top.

This should mean that there will be no hard need for additional mapping for normal text and the most ordinary symbols.

We MIGHT want some additional mapping for extra symbols etc, but that same mapping would then also work on any other qwerty-phone, and not be Pro1 specific (nor specific to qwertY or qwertZ) That is, if you want a special symbol pressing say Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Sym+Q you would get that no matter where the Q key physically is printed.

I am not sure if I got everything right but I thought we have two options (source)

1. Make the keyboard act like the PC version, or
  2. Make the keyboard act like the print

So we should make QWERTZ units act like the print in the first place so that we can look at the print to press the right key. Then, if we want customize it, we can remap it to Scandic with as little as possible changes.

Gigadoc2:

• "Personally, I am strongly in favor of the second option, to make the keyboard act like the print suggests. Not only because I sometimes need to look at the print to press the right key, but also because "Sym" is in a really awkward position for a modifier, while Fn is even better reachable than Shift (and there are two of it). But I realize that that would be dissonant with that the qwertY layout does, and I could understand if tdm does not want to go in that direction: By diverging too much from how a PC keyboard would work, using non-german keymaps with the qwertZ layout becomes subtly broken. And the situation is made even more complicated by the fact that "Sym" is a sticky modifier while "Fn" is not: People might prefer the first option simply for that."
Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

I am not sure if I got everything right but I thought we have two options (source)

1. Make the keyboard act like the PC version, or
  2. Make the keyboard act like the print

Well the principle is the same. Handle the physical print first, and then let default android language-layouts (or our own) act upon that.

As I read it, they were debating on how close they want to be to the print or the standard. Both has it advantages, and thus followers.

I personally think that what is printed should be what we get BUT not as a limit, but as a base. I want say Shift+1 as well as YelAr+1 to give an exclamation point.

I expect YelAr and Shift to work as doublets on ALL the yellow prints, except the letter keys (and that is two on qwertY and fifteen on qwertZ)

Is there any known issues with charging/battery indicator? At least for me it looks like the device charges very slowly/not at all (I have been using slow charge). Today morning I had 30% remaining when flashed test9. Then put the phone to wall charger and went to sleep for 3h, after that I had battery percentage of 34% and it is really discharging (dropping from there logically).

Screenshot_20200305-140604_Settings.png

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Odd, works for fingerprints here ???

2 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

@JooJooBee666

Have changed any settings from Settings>Accessibility>Vibration>Touch vibration? If Touch vibration is off then vibration is disabled from fingerprint also.

Started working again for me later in the day.  The fingerprint reader stopped working at all for a short while but shortly after I noticed that I tried it again and it was working once more along with the vibrate.

Edited by JooJooBee666
5 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

Started working again for me later in the day.  The fingerprint reader stopped working at all for a short while but shortly after I noticed that I tried it again and it was working once more along with the vibrate.

AH I think that is how the "too many retries" seems to be handled, just inactive, a warning text would be nice though. Logging on with my password and locking, it works again.

9 minutes ago, auvo.salmi said:

Is there any known issues with charging/battery indicator? At least for me it looks like the device charges very slowly/not at all (I have been using slow charge). Today morning I had 30% remaining when flashed test9. Then put the phone to wall charger and went to sleep for 3h, after that I had battery percentage of 34% and it is really discharging (dropping from there logically).

I have also had cases where it did not pull power from a PC-port, I thought it was the magnetic cable that had not been attached properly.

When attached to a port offering 5W (or more) I have seen no issues.

A tiny thing that cause some reboots:

When in inverse landscape, the Power-menu is in the same order as in landscape. So when you press the one close to power as usual to do a screen shot - you get a shut down!?!?

The icons should be at fixed positions at the fixed bar rotating the icons only, like they already do correctly between portrait and landscape.

In Inverse portrait, it fails completely, placing the bar identical to portrait, and thus at the wrong side and in the wrong order... 🙃

This goes for both Lineage and Stock, so tag @Waxberry hoping he sees it too.

Below images all taken from the button side, and the rotated to match text-orientation

IMG_20200305_151715~01.jpg

IMG_20200305_151603~01.jpg

IMG_20200305_151701~01.jpg

IMG_20200305_151629~01.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

I would like to help. In my opinion, we should make QWERTZ keyboard act like the print. Then we should be able to remap QWERTZ for Scandic etc. with different layout option. QWERTZ is really close to Scandic so there is very little changes (basicly Y<->Z, Ü->Å in Finnish). Where I can find the instructions? 

Here is the post where I described how to change the keymap:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2509-lineageos-current-status-160-test-builds/?do=findComment&comment=45512

Also, I realized that I may need to make a third keyboard layout "qwerty-intl" to support multi-lingual keyboards using the QWERTY keyboard, as @auvo.salmi is doing.  I don't know how many others are doing this.  Anyone?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Would it be possible to not count the 2secs from last registered attempt but from last sensor-touch?

That is if I repeatedly press (or even hold) a wrong finger/hand-part at the sensor, it should be ignored, until I leave it free for at least 2s, and then activate it again.

Sure that sounds like a good change.

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

A tiny thing that cause some reboots:

When in inverse landscape, the Power-menu is in the same order as in landscape. So when you press the one close to power as usual to do a screen shot - you get a shut down!?!?

The icons should be at fixed positions at the fixed bar rotating the icons only, like they already do correctly between portrait and landscape.

In Inverse portrait, it fails completely, placing the bar identical to portrait, and thus at the wrong side and in the wrong order... 🙃

This goes for both Lineage and Stock, so tag @Waxberry hoping he sees it too.

Sure, please file an issue on my tracker (and also on the new community tracker).

This seems like an AOSP bug, so I will probably look to see if it has been fixed in AOSP master.  If not, I will try to send a patch to them.

7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

In Inverse portrait,

Just a comment.  I tried disabling 0° to and using only 90° & 180° to see if I preferred that way, which I would, but too many minor issues.  For starters, inverse portrait (180°) only works if you enable auto-rotate.  And then, for example, it always still boots in 0° portrait and stays that way until first rotated (and then wont go back).  Some apps dont like it, and invert themselves (back to 0°) regardless, sometimes only in part of the app and not others.     And if you swap the volume keys, they dont always stay swapped, but when they do it makes it easier to do screenshots and stuff while landscape.   And if you disable auto-rotate, it ignores the user selected permitted orientations.

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Craig said:

Just a comment.  I tried disabling 0° to and using only 90° & 180° to see if I preferred that way, which I would, but too many minor issues.  For starters, inverse portrait (180°) only works if you enable auto-rotate.  And then, for example, it always still boots in 0° portrait and stays that way until first rotated (and then wont go back).  Some apps dont like it, and invert themselves regardless, sometimes only in part of the app and not others.     And if you swap the volume keys, they dont always stay swapped, but when they do it makes it easier to do screenshots and stuff while landscape.   And you disable auto-rotate, it ignores the user selected permitted orientations.

Thanks for the warnings. Too bad so many programs try to 'be smart' and 'know better' to make sure the user gets a bad experience... 😖

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, tdm said:

Here is the post where I described how to change the keymap:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2509-lineageos-current-status-160-test-builds/?do=findComment&comment=45512

Also, I realized that I may need to make a third keyboard layout "qwerty-intl" to support multi-lingual keyboards using the QWERTY keyboard, as @auvo.salmi is doing.  I don't know how many others are doing this.  Anyone?

I'll buy you a beer if you do so! Or I will buy one anyway, but I'll make it a sixpack at least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
17 hours ago, tdm said:

You most likely have a full fingerprint set in /persist. Delete everything under /persist/data/fingerprint and reboot. That should fix it.

Nope.  The only thing I see in /persist/data are two folders - keyboard (that I created when I was playing with the fn keymap file and just now deleted while I was here) and keymaster64

Since the time I set fingerprints on stock then stop using in december, I've ran netmans kernel with stock, then lineage test 2, then twrp & sailfish, and now lineage again, with several resets in the mix.  Doubt I still have old fingerprints saved somewhere, but I guess anything possible....

Edited by Craig
On 3/3/2020 at 6:41 PM, RoThe said:

I just flashed test8 build, coming from stock. 
Does anybody else still have problems with calls? I saw on Git, the issue seems to be fixed.
After a fresh reboot I called my Pro1 from my other phone and apparently the Pro1's mic didn't work. After I turned on speakers in the call it worked, even after turning speakers off again. That seems to be working now.

I am not able to hear the other person though, sound is just muted. Works though, if I turn speakers on -> stops working if I turn them off again.

Maybe my "phone call" speaker is just broken? Is there a way to check that?
I also tried with a Telegram call, same result.
If I call with my bluetooth headset connected, everything works fine.

I did those tests with a completely fresh install after I realized it wasn't working with already a few apps installed and rooted. I don't have GApps installed.
I live in Germany using a Telekom (T-Mobile) SIM card, if that matters.
I never tested a call with stock Rom, so I am not sure if it was working there.

Apart from that I also have slight audio crackling, but I see you are already aware of that.

Do you want me to provide a log file? I'm not sure how to log it though..

I now know that my ear speaker is working. Yesterday I went back to stock upgraded to the latest OTA update (from 3/3/2020 I think) and it worked. So I went back to Lineage and flashed Test9. It also worked during calls, although this only seems to be sporadic. Today it didn't work once.

I tried after rebooting, turning on/off loud speakers, nothing. I will continue playing around with it.
I'm still wondering though, for you guys phone calls are working without problems?

I had problems with definitely too loud speakerphone and earphones sound on voice calls in stock firmware. In lineageos sound volume is lower - bearable, also in latest test build 9. I'm not sure if it isn't a hardware issue in your case. Also I found out that even full stock recovery flash doesn't erase everything - one time 128 GB of internal storage melted down to 16 GB - factory reset from system menu helped. Maybe it's something similar in your case?

Okay I've spent several hours trying to get TWRP to decrypt userdata and still no joy.  I am going to put that aside for now and focus on other things.

So as I recall, the top 3 things people wanted were display margin, fingerprint mitigations, and TWRP.  What's next on the list?  I believe the only things blocking official builds are FM radio and selinux.  And I could probably fudge on FM radio if nobody cares about it.  Though I really should get it working soon.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1