LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

2 hours ago, v6ak said:

Hello, I have few questions. Note that I don't have they phone yet.

1. Does it use hardware-based key store? It should be available in Settings, probably under Security & location » Encryption & credentials » Storage type.

Yes.

2 hours ago, v6ak said:

2. Does it wipe after 10 unsuccessful attempts to enter the PIN?

It does whatever lineage usually does. I'm not going to wait for the timeout 5 times to try. 😉

2 hours ago, v6ak said:

3. When I switch the selinux mode to enforcing, how much am I going to break?

You, as a user, do not switch to enforcing. It is my job to fix all the enforcing issues and then enable enforcing mode.

• Thanks 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

Is anyone having an issue with the speakerphone not working during calls?

Pressing the speakerphone button during a call doesn't switch the speakerphone on. 

Edit: Disregard, wiping the phone fixed it.

Edited by D1ggs
  • Sad 1
On 3/7/2020 at 1:28 AM, EskeRahn said:

tried to simplify the flashing process so I did not need to fiddle with the devices buttons, and remember/read as much

If I do this at the bootloader

fastboot reboot recovery

the response looks sensible

Rebooting into recovery                            OKAY [  0.001s]
Finished. Total time: 0.003s

BUT despite saying otherwise it boots into normal and not recovery, so can not simplify that step

Not necessarily simpler, but simpler if you have the option set. 

If you've turned on the developer options for advanced reboot menu, one of the choices on the restart menu is recovery, and that does work to reboot directly into recovery.

Dunno why adb fastboot recovery doesn't work tho, probably a slot thing.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

@tdm Finally had some success with the audio.  Since the problem appears only when deep buffering is being used, disabling it from the audio config policy seems to resolve it.  Here's the changes:

diff --git a/audio/audio_output_policy.conf b/audio/audio_output_policy.conf
index 4719b66..eb932be 100644
--- a/audio/audio_output_policy.conf
+++ b/audio/audio_output_policy.conf
@@ -26,7 +26,7 @@ outputs {
     app_type 69943
   }
   deep_buffer {
-    flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DEEP_BUFFER
+    flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_NONE
     formats AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT
     sampling_rates 48000
     bit_width 16
diff --git a/audio/audio_policy_configuration.xml b/audio/audio_policy_configuration.xml
index 20b00c2..bbf0e0f 100644
--- a/audio/audio_policy_configuration.xml
+++ b/audio/audio_policy_configuration.xml
@@ -61,7 +61,7 @@
                              samplingRates="48000" channelMasks="AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO"/>
                 </mixPort>
                 <mixPort name="deep_buffer" role="source"
-                        flags="AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DEEP_BUFFER">
+                        flags="AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_NONE">
                     <profile name="" format="AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_PACKED"
                              samplingRates="48000" channelMasks="AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO"/>
                 </mixPort>

I don't know what other effects this could have but so far seems to be working fine here.

If anyone else wants to try it out, here's a new signed Vendor image to flash from fastboot. 

Edited by JooJooBee666
Clarificaiton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I've just found out that that's one of patches done by Magisk Audio Compatibility Patch module. I had it installed, and that's why I didn't have problems with distorted sound. 

Right now I tried to disable that module, and change files you mentioned manually, but they are read-only even with root priviledges. Vendor directory can be changed only by flashing boot image? Or is there any other way? I'd try to change other parameters also (want to have 24-bit default output to get rid of digital noise while listening with headphones at low volumes). 

40 minutes ago, spam71 said:

I've just found out that that's one of patches done by Magisk Audio Compatibility Patch module. I had it installed, and that's why I didn't have problems with distorted sound. 

Right now I tried to disable that module, and change files you mentioned manually, but they are read-only even with root priviledges. Vendor directory can be changed only by flashing boot image? Or is there any other way? I'd try to change other parameters also (want to have 24-bit default output to get rid of digital noise while listening with headphones at low volumes). 

Ahh, interesting.  Well to answer your question:

1. Disable Magisk hide and reboot.
  2. Connect to adb via adb shell
  3. Elevate to root
  4. mount -o rw,remount /vendor
  5. exit out of ADB and get back to prompt, then run adb root
  6. ADB pull the files to the pc, edit them and adb push them back
  7. Reboot device.

Sidenote: I believe this will break the signature so make sure you disable ABV.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

• Thanks 1

I've gotten VLC with OpenSL ES initially working by taking audio_policy_configuration.xml from 1+5/5t.  There are quite a few diffs, so I'm narrowing it down now.

If you want to try this out yourself and report back, do the following:

1. Remove or rename the directory /vendor/etc/audio.  This contains the currently used audio_policy_configuration.xml file.

2. Update /vendor/etc/audio_policy_configuration.xml with this one.

I am particularly interested to see if this fixes audio issues in other apps.

Note: audio_policy_configuration.xml is search for in /vendor/etc/audio first, then in /vendor/etc.  The BSP puts it into /vendor/etc/audio but Lineage (and the Lineage 1+5/5t trees) have it in /vendor/etc.  I started by copying the Lineage 1+5/5t and then tossing in the BSP files for the pro1, which is why there are two copies.  And this is why it took me forever to figure out a2dp -- I was looking at the wrong file for a couple days.

I'll be doing the audio configuration the Lineage way for the next build, hence the instructions above to remove the BSP version.  You could also just replace the BSP version instead of deleting it if you wish.  But I don't like having two copies of the same file lying around because it's confusing.  You know, the old adage about a man with two watches and all.

EDIT: The fix is on line 67, removing AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_RAW.  This is the only line that needs to change.

Edited by tdm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

@tdm I've done that on mine.  All the apps I normally have an issue with are working with this fix as well.  I'll let you know if it holds.

I didn't even notice that there was a second audio_policy_configuration.xml in that folder there.  Definitely confusing.

Edited by JooJooBee666
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
37 minutes ago, tdm said:

test10 is up.  Changes:

* Fix audio crackling.

* Update fingerprint mitigations.

Thanks again!  Tested the sound on several games that had always done it before, and yep, sound fixed!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm going to be pushing for official Lineage support over the next few days. That means fixing all the known bugs (not necessarily enhancement requests, but of course I'll get to those also). So if anybody is experiencing any issues that aren't in the github tracker, please add them ASAP. Otherwise, I'm going to assume FM radio and selinux rules are the last release blocking issues.

Also FYI... as soon as Lineage 16.0 goes official, I'll start working on 17.1. That should be a breeze compared to initial bringup.

Oh and I'll probably be making an AOKP build this week. 😄

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8
30 minutes ago, tdm said:

I'm going to be pushing for official Lineage support over the next few days.

What does official Lineage support mean?  Does that mean more developers will be adding things, or does it mean new features will come in from the official Lineage code base?

30 minutes ago, tdm said:

I'm only vaguely familiar with that being another 3rd party ROM.  I just googled and it seems it is back on Oreo??  What would the advantage be of that firmware?

19 minutes ago, david said:

What does official Lineage support mean?  Does that mean more developers will be adding things, or does it mean new features will come in from the official Lineage code base?

I'm only vaguely familiar with that being another 3rd party ROM.  I just googled and it seems it is back on Oreo??  What would the advantage be of that firmware?

The advantage of official lineage is that you get automated nightly builds with the current code. That's not such a big deal for 16.0 since it's in de-facto maintenance mode, but it will be really nice for 17.1. It also means that more people will see it and use it, since not everyone reads this forum.

The big advantage to AOKP has always been more options over Lineage. And there's also unicorns and swagger, naturally. 🙂 Yes, AOKP is probably past its prime, but I've a particular fondness for it.  I've been using it for about 8 years and developing it for about 6. I worked with its creator, Roman Birg, at Cyanogen, and I'm currently the main AOKP admin. And yes it was on Oreo for far too long but Pie is stable and running fine (using it on my 1+6t actually).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
5 hours ago, tdm said:

test10 is up.  Changes:

* Fix audio crackling.

* Update fingerprint mitigations.

As usual, TDM is Tom Da MAN!!! 🙂

In all seriousness though, there really aren't enough nice things to say about what you've done here. You've almost singlehandedly made a great piece of hardware with terrible software a great piece of hardware with great software to match! I certainly hope that the IdioticLTE people take some hints from your work, for the sake of the device's reputation.

Bravo, sir! We salute you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, tdm said:

Also FYI... as soon as Lineage 16.0 goes official, I'll start working on 17.1. That should be a breeze compared to initial bringup.

Which means we'll lose the SU binary as soon as we migrate to 17.x, right?  If so not interested, I'll hang with 16 for a long time, lol.

AOKP build: Very cool, I'm completely into AOKP and am ready for it!

Thanks again for all your hard work and serious dedication!!  👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, tdm said:

The advantage of official lineage is that you get automated nightly builds with the current code. That's not such a big deal for 16.0 since it's in de-facto maintenance mode, but it will be really nice for 17.1. It also means that more people will see it and use it, since not everyone reads this forum.

The big advantage to AOKP has always been more options over Lineage. And there's also unicorns and swagger, naturally. 🙂 Yes, AOKP is probably past its prime, but I've a particular fondness for it.  I've been using it for about 8 years and developing it for about 6. I worked with its creator, Roman Birg, at Cyanogen, and I'm currently the main AOKP admin. And yes it was on Oreo for far too long but Pie is stable and running fine (using it on my 1+6t actually).

Wow! As a former Dirty Unicorns user, I am excited by the possibility of AOKP.  Sheesh, now I'll have to start sending you even more beers! 😉

• Like 3
11 hours ago, tdm said:

I'm going to be pushing for official Lineage support over the next few days. That means fixing all the known bugs (not necessarily enhancement requests, but of course I'll get to those also). So if anybody is experiencing any issues that aren't in the github tracker, please add them ASAP. Otherwise, I'm going to assume FM radio and selinux rules are the last release blocking issues.

Hello tdm, greeting from Italy!

First, many many thanks for you hard work with the device, with a particular effort to the physical keyboard software. For us, with so many words and accents, with the stock it was terrible and now it is comparable with the asanti keyboard (that it is my favourite).

Then, I deeply tested your build 9 these days and I just want to report small issues to not be tracked in the Github repository:

1. The hotspot does not start if the Wi-Fi is on. When I try to power on it it self power offs and it does not start, it concludes a generic "error";

2. Is there someone that succeeded to install correctly substratum theme layers on the device? I tried several, but it does not work at all. No overlay is applied. I don't know if it is ROM-related or if the cause is the Android system version itself. I am coming from a Motorola Photon Q with 7.1.2 and the overlays worked like a charm.

3. The position of the touch bottons is not customizable. If you go to the keys menu and then to keys and disposition you can't move the keys as one could do in LOS 14 (I personally prefer to swap the home and apps button). Further, the "left handed" option is gone. I am left handed and I really loved, while in landscape mode, to have the touch keys at the left of the screen and not at the right.

These are only very low problematic issues. You can obviously skip them, I only would like to report my remarks to you.

Have a nice week and Thank you for you great and hard work!

Paolo

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, paul said:

1. The hotspot does not start if the Wi-Fi is on. When I try to power on it it self power offs and it does not start, it concludes a generic "error";

I've also used this feature on PQ to sign into public wifi and share it with other devices, so I tried it now, and yep not working. 

As soon as I press the on toggle, it immediately toggles back off, and see the word error under Wi-Fi Hotspot.

Screenshot_20200310-090104_Settings.thumb.png.4df6780ba8a7173337fe05b6fd9c0497.png

I also tried it with wifi off and mobile data on.  same result.  So it's not just a wifi sharing issue, seems hotspot doesn't work at all.

Edited by Craig
58 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Just curious, why are the options in LiveDisplay reduced with Test10 compared to Test8?

(do not recall how it was on Test9)

Possibly this commit?  I got it from another device while I was trying to get things working, and then I deleted it when I saw that 1+5/5t does not have it.  I am not sure if it should be present or not.

• Thanks 1

Hello tdm, greeting from Italy!

Greetings!   I hope you are doing well.

This is definitely a bug.  I have filed an issue for it.

2. Is there someone that succeeded to install correctly substratum theme layers on the device? I tried several, but it does not work at all. No overlay is applied. I don't know if it is ROM-related or if the cause is the Android system version itself. I am coming from a Motorola Photon Q with 7.1.2 and the overlays worked like a charm.

I have not used themes in quite some time, so I cannot say.  In any case, I doubt this would be specific to the Pro1.  It is most likely lacking in LineageOS.

3. The position of the touch bottons is not customizable. If you go to the keys menu and then to keys and disposition you can't move the keys as one could do in LOS 14 (I personally prefer to swap the home and apps button). Further, the "left handed" option is gone. I am left handed and I really loved, while in landscape mode, to have the touch keys at the left of the screen and not at the right.

Did you try "System -> Buttons -> Buttons and Layout"?  There are several options in that menu, including "left leaning" and "invert layout".

These are only very low problematic issues. You can obviously skip them, I only would like to report my remarks to you.

Have a nice week and Thank you for you great and hard work!

Paolo

Thank you. :)

16 minutes ago, tdm said:

Greetings!   I hope you are doing well.

This is definitely a bug.  I have filed an issue for it.

I have not used themes in quite some time, so I cannot say.  In any case, I doubt this would be specific to the Pro1.  It is most likely lacking in LineageOS.

Did you try "System -> Buttons -> Buttons and Layout"?  There are several options in that menu, including "left leaning" and "invert layout".

Thank you. 🙂

Thank you for your fast reply. Thank you for reporting the issue for the hotspot.

I am very sad to not use a dark theme, I hate the white everywhere. Maybe if you have substratum you can take a quick look on the layer addition in the ROM.

I checked a bit the theming topic in other threads on xda but I can't conclude if LOS 16 supports them or not. Apparently yes, but I can't confirm. Maybe there is some guy that can confirm this.

For the buttons, in LOS 14.1 (and 13) there was a floating menu where you could move where you wanted all the buttons. There were also an option to place all the buttons on the left side of the screen when in landscape mode, called "left handed mode". I skipped oreo because of my device, so I don't know if at some point the LOS development team dropped these functionalities.

Paolo

For what its worth, substratum works on stock pie for dark theme, as reported by @elvissteinjr

It seems to me I'm already pretty dark under Lineage tho, where are you seeing all this white?  Lineage settings menu backgrounds all dark... you can set your own launcher backgrounds (I use nova and set both the wallpaper and app drawer pure black, and changed the search background from white to charcoal)...   I used dark theme youtube vanced... discord has dark theme... riot is dark by default...   even play store black background...

edit: there's even a setting for Dark Mode that I hadn't even tried yet, about to see what it does to change it to black

Screenshot_20200310-100120_LineageOS_Settings.png

Now true black settings menu, cool

Screenshot_20200310-100326_LineageOS_Settings.thumb.png.c5d2ed9a29960fb0eaa1ea546d0bd7bd.png

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1