LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

@tdm: Thanks for all the hard work :).

As I've said before somewhere I want to try and go googlefree, with microg. From what I gather signature-spoofing is required for some things and I know @Loader009 did a one-off build with support for this. 

I have no idea how much work this would be and if it's something you're up for, but would it be possible to get a micro-g ready build together with the regular build?

I've been thinking about setting up a build and release pipeline myself, but all of my experience with this is limited to azure resources and database stuff as I'm a bi-developer by trade.

I think I should be able to figure it out for myself based on the comments by @Loader009 and others earlier in this thread, but I'm a bit short on time for at least the rest of this month :(. If I get it to work, I'll share a link.

If I'm not mistaken the key to getting nanoDroid (and anything else) to flash to /system from the recovery is waiting for you to get TWRP up and running with decryption. So I'll patiently wait for you to get to that and buy you a few beers (just not corona :D).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

1 hour ago, acoppens said:

As I've said before somewhere I want to try and go googlefree, with microg. From what I gather signature-spoofing is required for some things and I know @Loader009 did a one-off build with support for this. 

I have no idea how much work this would be and if it's something you're up for, but would it be possible to get a micro-g ready build together with the regular build?

I can certainly do a build for you.  But be aware once the device is submitted for official Lineage builds, I will stop doing my builds and you will need to find someone to do the patched build.  (Or just stick with my last build, as 16.0 is in maintenance mode).

Where can I find the microg patch for Lineage 16.0?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@tdm Just an update on the fingerprint changes: It's mostly not working for me since the most recent changes last week.  I cannot figure out what the pattern is as to when ot works or doesn't, but usually nothing happens at all; no vibrate, no notification...just nothing.  I find I have to use the screen unlock pattern 70% of the time.  Were you aware of these issues and seeing the same thing or should I start gathering some logs files?

38 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

@tdm Just an update on the fingerprint changes: It's mostly not working for me since the most recent changes last week.  I cannot figure out what the pattern is as to when ot works or doesn't, but usually nothing happens at all; no vibrate, no notification...just nothing.  I find I have to use the screen unlock pattern 70% of the time.  Were you aware of these issues and seeing the same thing or should I start gathering some logs files?

I haven't heard any complaints. Logs would be a good first step.

• Like 2

Question about LOS code for the Pro1...

With my old phone, when I went to Cyanogenmod from Samsung code, the Camera took poorer images and the GPS didn't work as well as it did before the switch.  I believe the camera issues were due to the way things were architected in the past, where too much relied on vendor specific code, and an equivalent open source version of that code didn't exist.  Is that true -- should a photo taken with the Pro1 in stock mode end up identical to a photo taken with LOS, assuming the same camera app is used in both cases?  Or is there some library in between the app and the hardware that could cause differences?

Same question regarding GPS, or even wifi and cellular.

Edited by david
2 minutes ago, david said:

Question about LOS code for the Pro1...

With my old phone, when I went to Cyanogenmod from Samsung code, the Camera took poorer images and the GPS didn't work as well as it did before the switch.  I believe the camera issues were due to the way things were architected in the past, where too much relied on vendor specific code, and an equivalent open source version of that code didn't exist.  Is that true -- should a photo taken with the Pro1 in stock mode end up identical to a photo taken with LOS, assuming the same camera app is used in both cases?  Or is there some library in between the app and the hardware that could cause differences?

Same question regarding GPS, or even wifi and cellular.

In theory Lineage should provide equal performance as stock for all components.  If it does not, let me know and I will look into it.

Some of the sub-systems that you mention (gps, wifi) have partial open-source components and partial closed-source components.  If for some reason the open source components do not work as well as stock, I can look into it.  But I am not aware of any such issues at the moment.

Some of the sub-systems are pretty much completely closed source (camera, cell radio).  These should certainly perform identical to stock.

With that said, some behavior is determined at runtime via system properties.  It is possible that I may need to tweak some of the system properties to get the components to behave properly.  But again, I am not aware of any such issues at the moment.

• Thanks 5
18 minutes ago, tdm said:

With that said, some behavior is determined at runtime via system properties.  It is possible that I may need to tweak some of the system properties to get the components to behave properly.  But again, I am not aware of any such issues at the moment.

Are the system properties for stock not available to copy, or is this a case of replacement open source code that has different properties than the stock code it replaces?

Thanks for explaining which pieces might behave differently.  For those people with 2 phones, it would be nice to test signal strength of stock and LOS of wifi at different locations and with different access points.  Sounds like such a test isn't needed for cellular, other than if there are system properties involved.

Same type of test with GPS, side by side.  I could flash one and then the other, but that isn't a really good test, due to differences in time between one test and another.

It is possible LOS could behave better than stock for certain subsystems.  That would be good to know as well.

A recent post about cellular dropping and needing a restart before it would come back got me thinking about some of these things.

Thanks for everything you are doing, and enjoy the extra time with the family during the shutdown.

Edited by david
  • Like 2
Just now, david said:

Are the system properties for stock not available to copy, or is this a case of replacement open source code that has different properties than the stock code it replaces?

Yes, they are available to copy.  It's pretty trivial to do this.  Oh, and I forgot to mention config files.  Those can affect behavior also.  But I think I've got all the relevant config files in place and up to date.

Also note that Lineage is free to take changes to improve performance that aren't in stock.  Particularly with WiFi and GPS.  For example, on a previous device I owned, stock only enabled 2.4ghz on WiFi but 5ghz worked perfectly fine.  So I enabled it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
15 minutes ago, david said:

Thanks for explaining which pieces might behave differently.  For those people with 2 phones, it would be nice to test signal strength of stock and LOS of wifi at different locations and with different access points.  Sounds like such a test isn't needed for cellular, other than if there are system properties involved.

Same type of test with GPS, side by side.  I could flash one and then the other, but that isn't a really good test, due to differences in time between one test and another.

It is possible LOS could behave better than stock for certain subsystems.  That would be good to know as well.

A recent post about cellular dropping and needing a restart before it would come back got me thinking about some of these things.

Thanks for everything you are doing, and enjoy the extra time with the family during the shutdown.

I haven't noticed any difference in signal strength or signal quality between stock code and LOS. I don't find the radio in the Pro1 to be all that great (when compared to my other phones), there was no difference between stock or LOS.  However, there is an amazing difference in usability and function with LOS.  I would highly recommend it if one doesn't need all the safety net garbage, errr... capabilities.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, tdm said:

I haven't heard any complaints. Logs would be a good first step.

New issue filed on GitHub with attached log.  The following line seems suspect:

03-13 13:26:09.895  2843  2843 I FingerprintController: fp wakelock: TIMEOUT!!

Obviously the full log may be more helpful.  Let me know if you need more.

Edited by JooJooBee666
  • Thanks 4
9 hours ago, tdm said:

I can certainly do a build for you.  But be aware once the device is submitted for official Lineage builds, I will stop doing my builds and you will need to find someone to do the patched build.  (Or just stick with my last build, as 16.0 is in maintenance mode).

Where can I find the microg patch for Lineage 16.0?

So I did some googling on microg and signature spoofing and found some useful bits on the lineage page of the microg project: https://lineage.microg.org/

"Can you add support for my device? It is officially supported by LineageOS
We already build LineageOS for microG for every device supported by LineageOS. Find your device in our Downloads page!"

So @tdm just forget about my request and focus on getting the build to the official stage...and an official unofficial microg build should magically appear 😃

For anyone interested in why lineageos doesn't officially support the signature spoofing I'd say the microg FAQ is interesting to read, as well as this reddit post and the comments on the codereview it links to:

• Thanks 2

So far just about everything in this OS is working well for me (many thanks to @tdm!), except that every 3-4 days either the display does not wake up on any button, or it does but the digitizer does not register touches. I would then either hold power till it restarts, or (if just the digitizer is unresponsive) I would use the keyboard to press "restart".

I imagine there's probably not much that can be done about this without logs, but how would I go about getting logs for incidents like these?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I also have had this unresponsiveness issue few times now. Usually it happens overnight, when alarm clock starts ringing but the device won't wake up. It doesn't respond to touching or keyboard or power button. Only way to get it working is to reboot by long-pressing power button. I had the issue on stock too and perhaps it was more comon on stock (currently running test9).

Also looks like random reboots are on LOS too. It hasn't happened me on los before today though, but on stock it was much more common. In Random reboots thread there's some speculation of rebooting happening while in weak network, and it seemed to be like that on stock. But today it happened while I was home, where I have full lte coverage on my carrier. Luckily there's that SELinux warning which pops up on reboot, so I recognized it really had rebooted. 

Also keyboard act weirdly sometimes. When typing fast, I get random letter/number combinations occasionally inside words, like if I was going to type the word 'arrive', the output might look like 'ar1fgj' or something like that. I do press wrong buttons occasionally, but I'm sure I don't hit the number keys accidentally. So those weird combinations are spawning randomly from somewhere. It doesn't happen too often though, but is still quite annoying, because it is a joy to type on Pro1 (doing it right now) and it is quite easy to type fast without looking to the keys all the time. But those random letter/number spawns kill the flow of typing every time. Didn't actually happen at all while typing this post, so it is quite rare and hard to reproduce/ find any logic in it.

Yet one more small issue: Looks like battery manager has some bug, because it doesn't recognize the 'last full charge'. Not a big deal though.

Screenshot_20200315-160406_Settings.png

Edited by auvo.salmi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

Also keyboard act weirdly sometimes. When typing fast, I get random letter/number combinations occasionally inside words, like if I was going to type the word 'arrive', the output might look like 'ar1fgj' or something like that. I do press wrong buttons occasionally, but I'm sure I don't hit the number keys accidentally. So those weird combinations are spawning randomly from somewhere. It doesn't happen too often though, but is still quite annoying, because it is a joy to type on Pro1 (doing it right now) and it is quite easy to type fast without looking to the keys all the time. But those random letter/number spawns kill the flow of typing every time. Didn't actually happen at all while typing this post, so it is quite rare and hard to reproduce/ find any logic in it.

I experienced the same issue. I'm using QWERTZ with options "FN+SPACE sends POWER" and "FN+toprow sends F1-F12" enabled.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, cinaeco said:

So far just about everything in this OS is working well for me (many thanks to @tdm!), except that every 3-4 days either the display does not wake up on any button, or it does but the digitizer does not register touches. I would then either hold power till it restarts, or (if just the digitizer is unresponsive) I would use the keyboard to press "restart".

I see this too, but to me it is new with Test9-11 (did not see it on 6-8)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RoThe said:

You mean why i say that it's activated? I don't know how stuff is programmed there, so I just try to give information.

Ah, sorry. Somehow I mixed you and the poster I was quoting, and thought that you meant that you use F1-12 buttons to solve touchscreen unresponsiveness issue [in combination with having power button programmed to Fn+Space), and I got curious about how they might help in that. But obviously you only pointed it out to describe your setup. So nevermind :)

Still, out of curiosity: Where do you [all of you] use F1-12 buttons on Pro1?

Edited by auvo.salmi
  • Like 1
On 3/13/2020 at 11:11 AM, acoppens said:

I've been thinking about setting up a build and release pipeline myself, but all of my experience with this is limited to azure resources and database stuff as I'm a bi-developer by trade.

I think I should be able to figure it out for myself based on the comments by @Loader009 and others earlier in this thread, but I'm a bit short on time for at least the rest of this month :(. If I get it to work, I'll share a link.

If I'm not mistaken the key to getting nanoDroid (and anything else) to flash to /system from the recovery is waiting for you to get TWRP up and running with decryption. So I'll patiently wait for you to get to that and buy you a few beers (just not corona :D).

Got it working, there is a bug in the patcher-script, not taking SaR into account.

I'll provide the patcher tomorrow after work. Tag me if I forget it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, I was planning to jump to LOS Test 11 when I took a look at the issue tracker and saw that it is still being reported as not working with Verizon.  That would be a deal breaker for me and I would have to very quickly wipe and return to stock.  While part of me say "Aw, go ahead, try it.  Maybe it will work for you 😅" most of me is hesitant to go through all of that just for a short test.

@tdm What is the status of this.  Will it have to get worked out before it becomes official?  Is the path to solving it understood? What is your confidence this can be solved soon?

This isn't a demand, just curious where things are at with this.

• Like 1

@acoppens there you go
http://pro1.hidingin.space/NanoDroid-patcher-SaR_ONLY-22.6.20200208.zip
please do not distribute this file.

It is a dirty patch, without any checks of my changes (and I didn't tidy up the changed code because I don't want to set up my Pro1 again).
All credits goes to Christopher Bratusek from nanolx.org.

I just found bug and made an unclean fix, which only works for SaR devices.

Be aware, first flash your ROM (lineage), then reboot into recovery (very important), then you can flash NanoDroid.
The NanoDroid SetupWizard configuration should not be stored on /data/media/0, use /data.
In the SetupWizard choose "force /system" (or something like this), to not flash on Magisk.
I was not able to get it working with Magisk, but this wasn't important to me so I didn't invest very much time into it.

PS: If anyone used my patched build and has a running system who doesn't want to spend time on reconfiguring anything, I can do another build so you can switch to this ROM.
But be aware that I never did such a build and would just use a tutorial from lineageos itself. I cannot guarantee no data loss.

• Thanks 2
On 3/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, Hook said:

So, I was planning to jump to LOS Test 11 when I took a look at the issue tracker and saw that it is still being reported as not working with Verizon.  That would be a deal breaker for me and I would have to very quickly wipe and return to stock.  While part of me say "Aw, go ahead, try it.  Maybe it will work for you 😅" most of me is hesitant to go through all of that just for a short test.

@tdm What is the status of this.  Will it have to get worked out before it becomes official?  Is the path to solving it understood? What is your confidence this can be solved soon?

This isn't a demand, just curious where things are at with this.

Well, I went ahead and tried. I'm now thinking this was reported before, but can't remember if it was for Verizon on LOS.  I can confirm that Verizon will nor work on LOS. LOS fails to recognize that the SIM is provisioned for VoLTE and all the switched that provision it for the phone on the phone menu (*#*#4636#*#*) sta grayed out no matter whatother settings you play around with.  I sure hope there is a solution down the road.

Guess it's back to stock for me. 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
53 minutes ago, Hook said:

Well, I went ahead and tried. I'm now thinking this was reported before, but can't remember if it was for Verizon on LOS.  I can confirm that Verizon will nor work on LOS. LOS fails to recognize that the SIM is provisioned for VoLTE and all the switched that provision it for the phone on the phone menu (*#*#4636#*#*) sta grayed out no matter whatother settings you play around with.  I sure hope there is a solution down the road.

Guess it's back to stock for me. 😉

I do not have Verizon, so I cannot really fix it.  It would be great if we had a developer that did use Verizon.  But if none appear within the next few weeks, I'll probably need to have a Verizon SIM card sent to me.  However, as this is a GSM phone and Verizon is a CDMA carrier, I see this as a sort of "extra" functionality -- an enhancement request of sorts.  It will take a back seat to getting all the other bugs fixed and official builds running.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
2 minutes ago, tdm said:

I do not have Verizon, so I cannot really fix it.  It would be great if we had a developer that did use Verizon.  But if none appear within the next few weeks, I'll probably need to have a Verizon SIM card sent to me.  However, as this is a GSM phone and Verizon is a CDMA carrier, I see this as a sort of "extra" functionality -- an enhancement request of sorts.  It will take a back seat to getting all the other bugs fixed and official builds running.

Understood. Makes sense.