LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

2 hours ago, _DW_ said:

Do you mean this has helped with the brightness green tinge issue at low levels?

I meant that the PreProd unit has a poorly calibrated display, and this was super easy to compensate with no additional programs in Lineage.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mcdinner said:

@tdm After I got called today and audio was gone again, the tries after that were broken too.
yesterday my tests were all fine and id did several successful calls with display off and on a few times...

Thanks. So the issue isn't calling specifically but something in the audio stack that calling uses.

• Like 1

Been hacking on the lights HAL this morning (shhh, don't tell my wife). I think I've got the logic figured out so that the keyboard backlight always keeps the proper state (which is, on only when both the screen is on and the slider is out).

• Thanks 8

is there any android/los feature to redial busy numbers?  I realize today most mobile plans including call waiting and half of POTS subscribers are also paying extra for it, so it as not as  important as it used to be, but I just ran into such a situation myself and didn't see a way to tell it to autoredial until it gets thru (and ring me)....   or would this be part of the dialer app?

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

is there any android/los feature to redial busy numbers?  I realize today most mobile plans including call waiting and half of POTS subscribers are also paying extra for it, so it as not as  important as it used to be, but I just ran into such a situation myself and didn't see a way to tell it to autoredial until it gets thru (and ring me)....   or would this be part of the dialer app?

Some carriers offers (or at the least used to offer) a service like that.

But this might do the trick https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.lithiums.autodialer2

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, tdm said:

Been hacking on the lights HAL this morning (shhh, don't tell my wife). I think I've got the logic figured out so that the keyboard backlight always keeps the proper state (which is, on only when both the screen is on and the slider is out).

sounds promising :)

1 hour ago, tdm said:

Thanks. So the issue isn't calling specifically but something in the audio stack that calling uses.

checked again, calling with telegram is not a problem but real calls are.
No BT or wired headset connected and not on speaker. Just receiving  call and holding my hand in front of the proximity sensor to turn display on and off
Here Is a log for a call with the audio problem. 2020-02-20-20-59-26rec.txt

Edited by mcdinner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's no secret that I was having trouble with the notification LED and the stock ROM, so I decided to switch over to LOS to see its behavior.  With LOS, I don't have any notification LED control whatsoever.  It still works properly when charging, but that is the only time it lights up.  Not a single notification, or 3rd party app which uses the LED, activates it.  I have also lost the notification vibrations (unlike stock which worked perfectly) unless I'm using a 3rd party software.  I didn't see any of this in the issue tracker, so I'm assuming this is just my device...?

45 minutes ago, Polaris said:

It's no secret that I was having trouble with the notification LED and the stock ROM, so I decided to switch over to LOS to see its behavior.  With LOS, I don't have any notification LED control whatsoever.  It still works properly when charging, but that is the only time it lights up.  Not a single notification, or 3rd party app which uses the LED, activates it.  I have also lost the notification vibrations (unlike stock which worked perfectly) unless I'm using a 3rd party software.  I didn't see any of this in the issue tracker, so I'm assuming this is just my device...?

Please file an issue on the tracker and I'll look at it probably Monday. I'm already in the lights code with the keyboard backlight.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, tdm said:

Please file an issue on the tracker and I'll look at it probably Monday. I'm already in the lights code with the keyboard backlight.

Ok, per your request I will file an issue on the tracker page, but please remember that it would stop working with the stock ROM, and I setup a poll to see if this was a known issue.  Very few people responded to the poll, but it appeared as though it was working correctly for most.  Thus, I'm not sure if my original problem got pushed into Lineage (with regard to the LED at least.  The vibrate option always worked in the stock ROM, so that might be a Lineage thing?).  Thanks again for everything!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Polaris said:

Ok, per your request I will file an issue on the tracker page, but please remember that it would stop working with the stock ROM, and I setup a poll to see if this was a known issue.  Very few people responded to the poll, but it appeared as though it was working correctly for most.  Thus, I'm not sure if my original problem got pushed into Lineage (with regard to the LED at least.  The vibrate option always worked in the stock ROM, so that might be a Lineage thing?).  Thanks again for everything!

It's mostly just a reminder for me to look at the code. The current lights code hasn't really been tested or anything, it was just brought along with the initial stuff from 1+5/5t.

• Thanks 1
On 2/20/2020 at 10:44 AM, EskeRahn said:

I meant that the PreProd unit has a poorly calibrated display, and this was super easy to compensate with no additional programs in Lineage.

Does that mean I received a pre-production unit in February? I thought they all had that issue and that I held a final production unit.

1 hour ago, Adrienspawn said:

Does that mean I received a pre-production unit in February? I thought they all had that issue and that I held a final production unit.

I think maybe all of them have this issue or at least one in the 02x, 22x and 3xx range.

@EskeRahn also has pre-production unit(s) anyway and as far as I know, initially they had an other kind of display which was replaced by this one not too far before they had a final sample run then production runs.
So an early pre-production unit may also has that other display model which was replaced in production units.

• Like 1
On 2/19/2020 at 10:39 PM, tdm said:

I cannot confirm nor deny any audio changes, as I'm not at a PC. Look at the proprietary files lists to see what is copied from stock. The rest is built.

Edit: also look at the vendor audio props.

@tdm Still haven't found anything.  Tried swapping a bunch of different values from the props on the older vendor image to the newer one and some of the blobs (most are identical as you noted).  But due to the length of time it takes to see if the changes helped (a few hours typically before the $**T hits the fan) I finally gave up for now.  I instead mounted the older vendor img, fixed the fstab for the userdata encryption, added in the new lights HAL, keyboard layouts and framework overlay, flashed that and confirmed everything is happy again so I can reliably use my device for a few days.

If anyone wants a copy of this vendor image you can find it here.

Edited by JooJooBee666
add url
49 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

@tdm Still haven't found anything.  Tried swapping a bunch of different values from the props on the older vendor image to the newer one and some of the blobs (most are identical as you noted).  But due to the length of time it takes to see if the changes helped (a few hours typically before the $**T hits the fan) I finally gave up for now.  I instead mounted the older vendor img, fixed the fstab for the userdata encryption, added in the new lights HAL, keyboard layouts and framework overlay, flashed that and confirmed everything is happy again so I can reliably use my device for a few days.

If anyone wants a copy of this vendor image to use until the issues are fully resolved, let me know.

I found some missing libs yesterday. I almost pushed a new build but decided to wait until I investigated a2dp a bit more. Should have a new build in a few hours either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
1 hour ago, tdm said:

I found some missing libs yesterday. I almost pushed a new build but decided to wait until I investigated a2dp a bit more. Should have a new build in a few hours either way.

@tdm  Thanks.  I noticed some missing libs as well but none seemed connected to audio (I don't know what they do exactly) so I didn't bother with those. I also noticed some of the missing a2dp items as well but don't use BlueTooth so didn't bother.  I can test today if you push to the repos soon but I gotta have everything working again in the next 5 hours as I have to be out and about this evening.

Edited by JooJooBee666

Is there a recommended procedure to go from one test build to another and keep gapps working?    And is it necessary to flash the new recovery each time also?

When I went test4-->test6 I tried to follow the step by step again, just skipped the new recovery and the factory reset, but did flash mindthegapps again.  However still google apps crashed when ran, had to manually unininstall and reinstall everything I wanted to work (i.e. maps, gmail, hangouts, etc)....  I assumed this is cuz I botched the upgrade somehow....

Perhaps @tdm you could update your webppage instructions to note what's different in upgrade vs clean install...

• Like 1

I'm quite happy with how keyboard is functioning in LOS, it's certainly better than stock in some ways (ALPHA, meta, right-alt) but worse in others  (stock has both slant arrows on same keycode, now LOS seems they have no keycodes at all).   

There are two things I want to customize to make it ideal for me, and I can't figure out how to do it. 

How do I assign the right slant arrow as key to behave as standard slash/questionmark key.  I don't care if this requires root or an external app at this point, I just want it to work, this has been my number one complaint with Pro¹ since the day I got it, them leaving off the slash key and putting those useless slant arrows.

Next, I want left-slant-arrow+number row to be F1-F12.  (I found a use for them, besides the pgup/pgdn/home/end you already added) that way can reserve use of right-alt for us-intl/etc.   I assumed this should be doable in kcm file somehow but can't make it work.   Also can't make it work in keymapper anymore cuz it's thinking the slant arrow arrows combos are left shift combos, so when I remap them, it messes up actual shift.

I'd also like to make left-slant-arrow+Del to be Ins, as that's the only other real missing key (besides sysrq and break, which I can live without), which is also no longer doable with keymapper. 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

One more feature request - a way to lock from keyboard.  I often leave my device sitting on my desk in landscape, and its awkward to reach around back to lock.  If I could do from keyboard somehow, that'd be great.    If its possible as a bookmark, meta/Fx+something would be great.  Otherwise, left-slant-arrow plus something would be just as good.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 3
33 minutes ago, Craig said:

One more feature request - a way to lock from keyboard.  I often leave my device sitting on my desk in landscape, and its awkward to reach around back to lock.  If I could do from keyboard somehow, that'd be great.    If its possible as a bookmark, meta/Fx+something would be great.  Otherwise, left-slant-arrow plus something would be just as good.

Possible from Tasker, but I am guessing you mean with a system setting? 

• Like 1

Ya now you mention it its possible with keymapper too.  But I was thinking something built in, ideally I dont want to have to run keymapper or tasker, be able to do everything just by editing files or settings etc (even with adb root shell is fine).

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JooJooBee666 said:

@tdm  Thanks.  I noticed some missing libs as well but none seemed connected to audio (I don't know what they do exactly) so I didn't bother with those. I also noticed some of the missing a2dp items as well but don't use BlueTooth so didn't bother.  I can test today if you push to the repos soon but I gotta have everything working again in the next 5 hours as I have to be out and about this evening.

The libs I found are vendor/lib/libgcs*.so.  I already had the 64-bit versions of those, but apparently the 32-bit versions are also needed.  What a2dp items did you find?  I'm still not getting a2dp to work. 😕

@Craig I'll respond once here...

In theory gapps should persist from install to install.  If that is not working, someone may need to investigate.  You do not need to re-install the recovery once you have it.  I'll try to get the instructions updated.

The slant arrows are fully dead keys in the current Lineage build.  I would like to make them customizable but haven't gotten there yet, as there are higher priority issues.  After they are customizable, however, you will still need to keep at least one key as KEY_FN (or whatever I decide to make it) for a fully dead modifier.  But you will be able to use the other however you wish.  You are currently able to make KEY_FN+KEY_# into KEY_F# (but obviously there are only ten digits so I don't know what you have in mind for F11 and F12).  You are also able to remap KEY_FN+KEY_DEL into KEY_INS.  There is no GUI for this, you need to know the physical key numbers and the Linux key codes.  Reference the keyboard driver here for the physical key numbers and the Linux header here for the key codes.  You remap keys by writing to the file "/sys/bus/i2c/drivers/aw9523b/6-0058/keymap" in a format that I mentioned earlier: "key:code:fn-code", where "key" is the physical key number in decimal, "code" is the regular Linux key code in hex, and "fn-code" is the slant-arrow Linux key code logically OR-ed with any modifiers (0x8000 for shift, 0x4000 for ctrl, 0x2000 for alt).  So let's make KEY_FN+KEY_1 send KEY_F1.  The "1" key is physical key 57, KEY_1 is 2 (0x02), and KEY_F1 is 59 (0x3b).  Note you will need to be root to do this (adb root, adb shell):

echo "57:02:3b" > "/sys/bus/i2c/drivers/aw9523b/6-0058/keymap"

To send a shifted F1, you would use "57:02:803b".

To map KEY_FN+KEY_DELETE to KEY_INSERT, use "21:6f:6e".  I think I will probably make it the default for next build, thanks. 🙂

Locking the screen may be done with either KEY_SCREENLOCK (152 or 0x98) or KEY_POWER (116 or 0x74).  You'll need to decide which physical key to use for that. Perhaps KEY_FN+KEY_SPACE?

This is all very tedious, error prone, and time consuming.  So you can create a file "/persist/data/keyboard/keymap" that has the keymap that you like and it will be loaded at boot.

Edited by tdm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3