DOS! Forget all this android/linux nonsense

Darn..I was just going to ask about Speedball 2.  If I remember correctly, that one required holding down one key and tapping another to pass or tackle.  So my guess is that it wouldn't work well with the single key limitation.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm, i mean that it is same problem as on my old project - MAME arcade cabinet...usb connected driver for keys.i was not able to press 3+ buttons suddenly 😞 ...and it is not fw/sw fixable...it will be needed better keyboard driver ic.

I will test it tomorrow on my xt897.

BUT...for test you can play GTAIII/vice city on keyboard (not san andreas) ?...on photon i was able to press 3 buttons on same time.

EDIT you can find on gugl online keybord testers....

Edited by CornholioGSM
8 hours ago, Craig said:

Missing Esc and F-Key functionality.  Like that game needed F12 to exit.   Ideally F-keys can be implemented on the number row with the slant arrow or Fxtec key, and Esc key and be made to function as Esc.

F-keys should be possible with a remapped keyboard (like you mentioned with Fx+1 or ALT+1. You'd need to add two keys for F11 and F12 though.

Esc key should work though, what else should the Esc key be used for if not for 'Escape'? I know it worked on the Droid 4 with that emulator and I don't remember changing anything.

By the way, as far as I remember, you were able to overlay a keyboard in case you needed a missing key (like F12). I think you were even able to assign keys to in-app keys/functions, but it could also have been ingame settings.

11 hours ago, Craig said:

In windows 3.1 I could go up to 1600x1200, but not with all colors.  for 256k colors 1024x768 was the max i think.  16m at 800x600.  if I remember right; I could verify if it matters.  But that shows dosbox handles SVGA, etc.

was that really an OS limitation or CRT monitor limitation, you could use up to 32bit colour afaik.   Guess problem is the card the emulator emulates they need to emulate a Voodoo 😄

10 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

was that really an OS limitation or CRT monitor limitation, you could use up to 32bit colour afaik.   Guess problem is the card the emulator emulates they need to emulate a Voodoo 😄

The resolution and color depth mainly depends on the amount of available video RAM - so 1024x768 at 24 bit requires 1024*768*3=2359296 bytes (2.25 Mbyte) of available video RAM while 1600x1200 at 16 bit requires 3.66 MB of video RAM.

"Modern" monitors had "VESA DDC" capability and current monitors also have similar (improved) communication.
In modern, I mean maybe the middle of 1990's.
Earlier monitors had no communication so no way to determine if they are able to use a specific resolution and refresh rate.

Vodoo is a relatively new thing, I don't think a lot of DOS games used it.
Rather than, it was used by games written to run on Windows 9X or later.

21 hours ago, david said:

Darn..I was just going to ask about Speedball 2.

I found lots of websites that list dosbox compatibility, and that game is supposed to work.  https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=80&letter=S

And, for example, here's a list of ~750 games that supposedly work.  https://pastebin.com/55uNKUQx  Apparently some people consider most old dos games abandon-ware so share freely, they're not hard to find, and of course they're relatively small compared to today's games so you can fit quite a few on your Pro¹'s 128GB.  For example that particular list of games takes less than 8GB after extracting (magnet ).

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

I found lots of websites that list dosbox compatibility, and that game is supposed to work.  https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=80&letter=S

And, for example, here's a list of ~750 games that supposedly work.  https://pastebin.com/55uNKUQx  Apparently some people consider most old dos games abandon-ware so share freely, they're not hard to find, and of course they're relatively small compared to today's games so you can fit quite a few on your Pro¹'s 128GB.  For example that particular list of games takes less than 8GB after extracting (magnet ).

Yeah, I saw that too, but I was hoping for a fancy screenshot of it in action and to see if the multi-keypress thing was a problem with it.  Us delayed-Pro1-shipment customers have to live vicariously through you have-it-in-my-hot-greedy-hands customers. 😂

It is great that the old games are so relatively small that a person can have them all at their fingertips.

Edited by david
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Under Android dosbox, 98se is possible with effort.  I didn't want to take much effort so found a win95 image known to work under dosbox.  Either way, its Win9x.

If you want a real pocket laptop, try xfce under sfos 😉 

10 hours ago, kashif said:

Guys

Can you tell me what emulator is it? and from where can i download it?

i tried looking for it but couldnt find.

Thanks for help

Wilhelm was right, its magic dosbox free.  I did mention that somewhere earlier in the thread.   And yes the main thing people do with dosbox today is play dos games, which is why dosbox often gets categorized with games.  Doesn't mean you couldn't run i.e. microsoft office if you wanted, just have to be a really old version.

• Like 2