Reccommend gcam port for Pro¹?

I'm under the impression the camera lens on the Pro1 is mounted upside down since before installing the modded Google Camera mentioned here I was using Camera FV5 and noticed images and video were vertically flipped. Google Camera seems to take videos with the correct orientation so I replaced FV5 with it. Night Sight works but as @jjarmasz mentioned it crashes in low-light. Additionally Slow Motion and Time Lapse crashes the app, and panoramas are completely useless since the viewfinder is again flipped vertically.

• Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Based on your description it seems that Snapdragon camera is hardcoded to the camera button. I think this is a bug, as it should launch the default camera.

I tried key mapper from f-droid.  I was able to map camera button longpress to open gcam or default cam  (and change quite a few other things while i was at it) but dont see a way to make focus/shutte

Personally I have been using "Open Camera" since about  day one - and it is doing a great job - less HDR.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jjarmasz said:

Are you really seeing a big difference between both apps in Nightside mode? I'm finding both pretty much the same - both apps have the viewfinder rotated upside down, in both the viewfinder freezes when the light is too low, but both somehow also produce good and just about identical pictures for me.

Yes, I can see big difference between those two ports. Please, see the examples below. Viewfinder is upside down and freezing in low light situations in both ports but only PocoPhone port can make great pictures. 

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

Yes, I can see big difference between those two ports. Please, see the examples below. Viewfinder is upside down and freezing in low light situations in both ports but only PocoPhone port can make great pictures. 

Oh wow, yes, I see what you mean. The few pics I took with NightSight weren't good enough to do that kind of testing 🙂 

Ok so the Pocophone port is definitely the better one.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried BSG port earlier and it was not working great even so that people are reporting great pictures on Twitter with that port. I don't know if they have tested it in bad low light condions. See the examples below:

PocoPhone F1 port:

spacer.png

BSG port

spacer.png

That is the reason why I used PocoPhone F1 port on my review.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I also installed one GCam port (don't remember anymore which one, probably Pocohone). The image quality is definately better than with the Snapdragon camera, especially in low light condition.

I use the phone camera also to take a lot of video clips. Also for the video the GCam creates superior image quality. However, I noticed a couple of more bugs. For example the framerate options don't work (if the video is set to 60 frames per second the final video is 30 frames per second) and the slow motion setting does not work (video ends up to be normal 30 frames per second also in this case).

It is also a bit irritating that it is not possible to set the image location to SD card.

I think that there is great potential in Pro1 camera hardware but the software is not there yet. Hopefully some talented coder creates an GCam port for Pro1.

• 3 months later...

I needed to install microG to get this working. I have installed the Poco F1, F1v9.6_6.2.030 but 4K video recording is unavailable. Is it normal?

Does the BSG port currently provide better quality than the PocoF1 port?
@D1ggs which version of BSG are you using?

Edited by hermite
On 6/19/2020 at 3:57 PM, D1ggs said:

I use BSG's

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/

Everything works except panaroma. Well it works, but it's jenky. Nightsight works great. 

This one seems to work well so far, albeit the physical button doesn't work, and the front camera is very grainy which is non-issue for me. I guess the FX needs its own port if the physical button were to be made functional.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 12:32 PM, FlyingAntero said:

I noticed that Arnova8G2's port has a setting to rotate viewfinder but I am not able to install Arnova8G2's port to Pro1. However, we could use the same method to fix pocophone/pixel port to Pro1.

"Also, those who have night sight portrait viewfinder flipped upside down should go to More > Settings > [Photo] Advanced > Image Rotation toggle ON. (or go into your config xml file and change pref_ns_image_rotation_key value from 0 to 1)."

I have found several Gcam versions where viewfinder is not upside down in Night Sight mode but none of those provides same quality than Pocophone F1 port. However, there are Gcam versions (like PMGC_7.0.009_HDR_Version_V13) where you are able to flip viewfinder from advanced settings menu. It will fix the issue on Pro1 even so the fix is meant for front camera. I am wondering If it possible to add that feature to Pocophone F1 port? Is there any app developer who would be able to help? @tdm @Slion ?

Screenshot_20200714-093736.thumb.png.96f9b1bf5fcbcf71adb21d87a2a8c039.png

Also, I tried to tune parametres with config-file on F1MinimalMod2.0_Moded_by_jairo_rossi_V2 port but pref_ns_image_rotation_key did not have any effect. I believe that correct lib-files are also needed.

• Like 2

I have done more testing. I noticed that MGC_6.1.021_F1_V1.7 port (by san1ty like other Pocophone F1 ports) has a "Forcibly enable NS config for A8.1" toggle which will fix viewfinder on Pro1. Unfortunately, the toggle will also affect to the picture quality. When the toggle is on colors are quite cold but noise level is ok. When it is off colors are much warmer. So, MGC_6.1.021_F1_V1.7 has potential but it would be great if we could identify what NS config for A8.1 does. That could be the key to fix viewfinder on other ports too.

Screenshot_20200715-104931.thumb.png.81838c316f63df566b29b6938a2fe6a4.png

On 7/14/2020 at 9:41 AM, FlyingAntero said:

there any app developer who would be able to help?

Sorry I have my hands full already.

Edited by Slion
  • Thanks 1

@FlyingAnterodo you have experience with different versions of gCam? So far I tried F1MinimalMod2.1 and F1v9.6_6.2.030.apk, but I didn't see a lot of difference. 60 fps video recording doesn't work oin f1minimalmod2.1 and looks awful on F1v9.6_6.2.030.apk

The latest version of MGC (7.4) has an option to disable OpenGL viewfinder, which fixes the nightsight viewfinder issue for that version.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, hermite said:

@FlyingAnterodo you have experience with different versions of gCam? So far I tried F1MinimalMod2.1 and F1v9.6_6.2.030.apk, but I didn't see a lot of difference. 60 fps video recording doesn't work oin f1minimalmod2.1 and looks awful on F1v9.6_6.2.030.apk

The latest version of MGC (7.4) has an option to disable OpenGL viewfinder, which fixes the nightsight viewfinder issue for that version.

Here is a quick Night Sight mode test with F1v9.6_6.2.030, MGC_6.1.021_F1_V1.7 (A8.1 config off and on), MGC_7.4.104_V0a and F1MinimalMod2.1 ports.

These photos are taken in dark condition when the camera app itself suggests to use Night Sight mode. In my opinion, F1v9.6_6.2.030 and MGC_6.1.021_F1_V1.7 gives the best result and I can't see difference between these two. When I enable "Forcibly enable NS config for A8.1" (it fixes the viewfinder) on MGC_6.1.021_F1_V1.7 port colors are much colder. Picture quality is still great. Night Sight mode on MGC_7.4.104_V0a is totally broken and can't be used. You can see distortions in the picture. F1MinimalMod2.1 is also unusable since the noise level is really bad.

So far I have not tested other features.