Certain Apps Unavailable? Specifically Netflix

It appears that I am not able to locate the Netflix app through the Play Store - is there some setting that needs to be changed to bring this up, or are other people able to find it? Any other apps that have a similar issue?

17 minutes ago, dt.white said:

It appears that I am not able to locate the Netflix app through the Play Store - is there some setting that needs to be changed to bring this up, or are other people able to find it? Any other apps that have a similar issue?

That means your bootloader is unlocked (or you are rooted).  Safteynet won't offer it to you.  I simply obtained an apk from a reliable source.  It works fine. APK mirror has it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, lukluk91 said:

Hi! I've had this problem before with other phones. Even Netflix themselfe share an .apk .

You can find it here.

Have fun with it

Just be aware those instructions for enabling Unknown Sources don't apply anymore.  Just download the apk.  It will ask you to enable Unknown Sources for the specific app doing the installation.  It is no longer a global setting.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
2 minutes ago, Hook said:

Just be aware those instructions for enabling Unknown Sources don't apply anymore.  Just download the apk.  It will ask you to enable Unknown Sources for the specific app doing the installation.  It is no longer a global setting.  🙂

Thank you for that additional information. Good to know 🙂 I just thought it would be the safest source for the app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, lukluk91 said:

Hi! I've had this problem before with other phones. Even Netflix themselfe share an .apk .

You can find it here.

Have fun with it

Why do they limit the devices that can download it from the playstore based on safetynet, but then provide an APK themselves? That doesn't make any sense lmao.

• Haha 3

Safetynet doesn't block you from downloading from playstore.    Safeteynet is basically something an app can check status of when it's running.  Doesn't affect installation.

Playstore is blocking netflix download for our device for some reason.  Usually that kinda thing happens when you have the wrong android version, or your device doesnt have some hardware the game needs, etc....  

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Craig said:

Safetynet doesn't block you from downloading from playstore.    Safeteynet is basically something an app can check status of when it's running.  Doesn't affect installation.

Playstore is blocking netflix download for our device for some reason.  Usually that kinda thing happens when you have the wrong android version, or your device doesnt have some hardware the game needs, etc....  

The Playstore has often refused to download Netflix when I have had devices with bootloader unlocked, rooted and an alternnate ROM.  I don't know which or what combination of those sets it off since I always had all three conditions, though I now suspect it's bootloader unlocked since I am not rooted. Netflix is not supposed to work with rooted devices I believe.  I have found inconsistent results on that. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.  If it doesn't work when I'm rooted, I find an older version of the apk I have kept archived works.  It may be that using Magisk, when I get there, will solve the root detection problem.

These are just my observations.  I have no idea what exactly is behind these results.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, lukluk91 said:

You can find it here.

Have fun with it

Thanks, installed but can't open - "This device is not supported by the app."

58 minutes ago, Craig said:

No, it definitely does. In that case it's the playstore checking because Netflix set it as such.

19 minutes ago, Zamasu said:

No, it definitely does. In that case it's the playstore checking because Netflix set it as such.

Yeah its definitely the store that checks.  I installed FF 15 as store said was incompatible worked fine.

4 minutes ago, Noir said:

@netman's post above should be the solution. If you sideload the current Netflix .apk it should work aswell, but downloading content for offline usage will be blocked.

My sideloaded Netflix lets me download for offline (my bootloader is unlocked-- haven't rooted yet).

20 hours ago, Hook said:

My sideloaded Netflix lets me download for offline (my bootloader is unlocked-- haven't rooted yet).

Interesting. Have a Certified device which lets me Download Netflix from the play store, Bootloader is locked, but downloading content is not possible, safetynet does not pass completely though. I could not care less to find a solution.

On 12/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, Noir said:

Interesting. Have a Certified device which lets me Download Netflix from the play store, Bootloader is locked, but downloading content is not possible, safetynet does not pass completely though. I could not care less to find a solution.

Downloaded Netflix with APKPure. Bootloader still unlocked. Download works fine for me too

• 1 year later...

This is an ancient thread, but I might just as well add that this thread:

and my recent update for LineageOS 18.1:  

... details a relatively easy way to install and configure Pro¹ devices to use AICP or LineageOS so that Netflix and Disney Plus apps do appear in the Play Store and can be installed normally; also Google Pay works for contactless payment with the smartphone at the supermarket counter (which over here is the only real method to make sure you don't need to touch that keypad)...

• Like 1