Displaying Black

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...i mean that it is problem of all amoled displays...default color is black - led(in pixel) is off...and really dark grey is problem.it is step between led on and off. On tft, retina etc display

Every OEM is supposed to "tune" the panel for proper display colors at the factory.  This takes very specialized and expensive equipment.  It is a one-time procedure for a given panel, and the results

Okay, a few things to note here:   The slant arrow is not a standard key.  Unless I missed something, it is never stated anywhere that the slant key is supposed to be a Fn key.   C

Posted Images

1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

Did you perform just a factory reset or did you flash firmware again via ADB?

The only thing I flashed a few times was the boot image (both a stock one and Magisk patched).  I didn't flash any other partitions.

12 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

Did you perform just a factory reset or did you flash firmware again via ADB?

I bricked my phone, so in fact I followed the directions Chen Posted to reflash both the A and B partitions via ADB, and then retook all OTAs.  However, I suspect factory reset might be enough, if anything here is working and it isn't just some weird alignment of the planets for David and myself.  Lol.

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 3

@Adrienspawn I don't have a good enough camera to get a decent picture off a smartphone screen and, obviously, a screenshot doesn't work as it shows the picture without any effects of the screen showing the picture.  However, in the case of the dragon picture at 11% (I gave up trying to get the slider to land on 10% 😉 ), there is still a grey green wash.  What threw me off is I don't get it at all on David's black square, and I don't get it on the wall paper I use on Nova Launcher, which is also solid black.  So apparently, it does not affect solid black, just shades of gray.  Sorry I got off on the wrong track there.

One thing I found interesting is that when I tried to get a shot with a cheap smartphone camera of the dragon pic displaying on the Pro 1 in a dark room, the cheap smarphone camera picked up on the green and magnified it into bright emerald. Lol.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, david said:

The clock app is not black.  It is gray.

I did read that before. Unfortunately, I do not have any other comparison with Pro1, so I decided to take photo of 3 phones in the same application. What's interesting, in this one, Priv seems to be calibrated worse than Samsung 🙂

p.s. samsung color scheme set to basic.

Edited by ncvb
3 hours ago, ncvb said:

I did read that before. Unfortunately, I do not have any other comparison with Pro1, so I decided to take photo of 3 phones in the same application. What's interesting, in this one, Priv seems to be calibrated worse than Samsung 🙂

p.s. samsung color scheme set to basic.

Oh, I thought that was the Priv and the Pro1.  Here is a black image you can use:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Black#/media/File:Black_colour.jpg

Edited by david
22 hours ago, ncvb said:

Here is clock comparison. Blackberry Priv with Samsung Galaxy Note9.

You can find Priv and Pro1 on the first page

When doing images comparing the toning of either white or black, I strongly suggest doing it at a real white background, as the white balance  of the camera can easily get confused and show things either better or worse than they actually are.

I often use a bright red table for background of device photos, for the nice effect of it. But the downside is that it can come out  in the digital images as anything from pink to burgundy, and even orange some times.

1 hour ago, ncvb said:

Don't have Pro1 anymore. Returned it, sorry.

Sorry to hear, hope you come back at a later time. 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

It seems that OnePlus 8 models with curved AMOLED screens are also suffering from this issue. They have screen panels made by Samsung.

spacer.png

OnePlus already fixed the issue (and accidentally touching issue with curved screen) partially with recent update.

Funny thing is that DisplayMate didn't notices any issues in its review. Maybe they had fully working unit or they do not test screens with low brightness.

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/23/2020 at 3:04 AM, Hook said:

Are you sure you have the January update installed.  Because, while I clearly saw what you describe in December, when I have the Dragon Pic on my phone now, it no longer does that. I don't know what other explanation there could be unless something happened differently when I reflashed my phone in january, starting with the October factory image provided by Chen.  It's weird.  My phone seems to be fine now at all brightness levels.

Finally I had time to re-flash everything. I followed the guide posted by Chen and everything went smoothly. However, the screen issue is still there after January update even after re-flash.

31 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

Finally I had time to re-flash everything. I followed the guide posted by Chen and everything went smoothly. However, the screen issue is still there after January update even after re-flash.

You should have kept reading... I rescinded what you quoted on Feb 25th. 😉

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I recently received my new screen incl. digitizer from ali(express). It had unfortunately cracked the screen from the speaker and down about 3.5cm to the left edge (from a 20cm drop, but still my fault, so nothing to pun fxtec about)

First thing I noticed when I was taking the phone/screen apart, was the the "glue" was rather uneven distributed, and that the screen had cracked between the glued part and the "not so glued part". Perhaps they have to look into that process?

Second thing, it seems like this screen is better at displaying colors at lower brightness than the original one?! Had to verify with my wife, and even she thought it was better, considering how little she's used the phone.

Anyone with the same experience?

/ Cheers P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, pierrelarsson said:

First thing I noticed when I was taking the phone/screen apart,

Have you documented the display panel replacement process? Do you have photos and tips for other people who may need to get it done one day?