Jump to content
dt.white

Displaying Black

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Benni said:

@pierrelarsson I think the last update improved colors on low brightness. Maybe this is what caused the shift.

That was not the case on my unit. Still the same green tint on low brightness with new update. If F(x)tec changed something they would most probably mention it on changelogs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do you (@pierrelarsson) live? A direct comparison would be interesting.

By the way, I do have the same greenish tint with LineageOS. Only setting it to minimum brightness manually does change that. I would actually be tempted to change the screen simply for better colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have maybe idea about fix amoled colors/brightness. How about find stock firmware for elephone with same display, unpack/decompile it and find display settings?

Maybe have elephone same problem with colors but i mean that on elefone will be all ok.

Here must be settings something like : when is brightness set to 50% then colors will be red 70%, green 60%, blue 50 and white 50...approx.

good or bad idea?

 

here is:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8hg1rl60o0bef1y/Elephone_U_Pro_20180227_QFIL.zip/file

Edited by CornholioGSM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CornholioGSM said:

good or bad idea?

Good thinking. You could also try to mitigate that problem with Fx Service screen filter. The screen filter code could also be tweaked to do something smart about it.

I don't see much of that greenish tint issue when staying within system brightness level. However when using low brightness on Fx Service screen filter it becomes evident. By setting colour filter to something like #26AA00AA you can indeed offset that issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People with that greenish tint issue should be able to workaround it using Fx Service. See:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@CornholioGSM Well, the firmware shouldn´t change by changing the screen, or does it?

Your approach with changing the RGB output at given brightnesses is good though. Is that done with the app you linked? My internet is horrible and downloading 3GB would take me an entire day...

 

@Slion While the app is quite good, it doesn´t seem to change color output. Even with the filter active as an overlay, at a certain brightness setting the screen is greenish. Even if the brightness is lower or higher by default. This is the case with around 15-50% system brightness. You can also see that it´s not a steady curve of brightness and RGB control but flickering when you slowly increase the system brightness.

 

The best way would be to set up an exponential formula for the entire brightness spectrum. And since it doesn´t seem to be the hardware I am wondering why you get different results with a screen replacement. Or do you install the Elephone firmware after replacing the screen?

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SchattengestaIt said:

While the app is quite good, it doesn´t seem to change color output

Did you change the filter colour?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If I have understand right the color tone issue on OLED screens is usually caused by a greater variation on panels than the manufacturer initially expected. Then the pixels of different colors on the screen behave little bit differently. Manufacturer need to map how much any color needs to be dimmed so that the brightness of the screen is exactly the same for each color. If this mapping is wrong, we get to a situation where some color is brighter at some brightness level than others which causes color tone issue. OnePlus 8 Pro had the same issue during launch but OnePlus was able to fix (at least partially) it with software update. There are several other cases in the past also.

Users of Huawei Mate 20 Pro said that the issue could be caused as a side effect of the screen’s glue drying out. So the glue might actually have an effect (making the variation even greater).

 

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every OEM is supposed to "tune" the panel for proper display colors at the factory.  This takes very specialized and expensive equipment.  It is a one-time procedure for a given panel, and the results are encoded into the stock software to make the display look better.  It is possible (I would say likely, even) that IdeaLTE has not done this.  Or perhaps they did it for a previous iteration of the display panel but switched suppliers and didn't do it again for the new one.  There isn't really a way to know without having FxTec contact IdeaLTE and ask.

 

This is also likely why the display color change slightly when you replace the panel with one intended for the Elephone.  They are most likely slightly different in some way.  Perhaps made in different factories or made to different specifications or something.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Slion said:

Did you change the filter colour?

I did, but I didn't really find a color that equals the greenish tint. What color code did you use?
Also, could you provide some settings on how you have set up your own display (automatic brightness, filter set in and so on).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Slion said:

#26AA00AA

@SchattengestaIt To counter the green you need to add red and blue while leaving green at zero, it should be purple. It's ARGB.

You need to click on the custom colour link to be able to enter the value yourself.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Also, could you provide some settings on how you have set up your own display (automatic brightness, filter set in and so on).

System adaptive brightness is on.

Fx Service Light sensor adaptive brightness is off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many things don´t work for me here:

The color code you provide gives following result (dark to bright): grey - greenish - purple - light purple. Not really the result I am looking for, I´d prefer a setting that applies for a specific brightness range.

The shortcut don´t work for me at all - none of them.

I haven´t understood the brightness setting so far. So you have one non-automatic brightness setting that you have to enable to use the filter (I don´t like that since you either have lower brightness over the whole range or higher brightness even in the night. Also, as soon as you enable the service, you can´t set your brightness by swiping over the task bar anymore (LineageOS exclusive). This seems to stay until restarting the phone.

If I could actually change the brightness by the keyboard, that would be an interesting idea. But so far that app doesn´t really help me, although I really appreciate your help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 9:11 PM, SchattengestaIt said:

The color code you provide gives following result (dark to bright): grey - greenish - purple - light purple. Not really the result I am looking for, I´d prefer a setting that applies for a specific brightness range.

That one color code was just an example you may need to adjust it for your needs. That screen filter overlay feature was not originally intented to tackle your problem it just happen it should in theory be able to be used to offset your screen color for a specific brightness. A proper solution could be something using color as keyframes for various brightness level and interpolation.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:11 PM, SchattengestaIt said:

The shortcut don´t work for me at all - none of them.

How odd, maybe that's something funny with LOS keyboard definitions.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:11 PM, SchattengestaIt said:

haven´t understood the brightness setting so far. So you have one non-automatic brightness setting that you have to enable to use the filter (I don´t like that since you either have lower brightness over the whole range or higher brightness even in the night.

 I'm not sure I get what you saying but I do understand how Fx Service screen overlay filter feature "brightness" level can be confusing. You need to know that that screen overlay primary intent was to enable lowering the screen brightness level beyond system settings to fix Pro1 screen being too bright when used at night for instance. Fx Service brightness setting just plays with the defined overlay color's alpha component.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:11 PM, SchattengestaIt said:

If I could actually change the brightness by the keyboard, that would be an interesting idea. But so far that app doesn´t really help me, although I really appreciate your help.

That should work. Probably an issue with LOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried to split the discussion on the the Yellow arrow key usage into a different thread:

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 12:01 PM, FlyingAntero said:

If I have understand right the color tone issue on OLED screens is usually caused by a greater variation on panels than the manufacturer initially expected. Then the pixels of different colors on the screen behave little bit differently. Manufacturer need to map how much any color needs to be dimmed so that the brightness of the screen is exactly the same for each color. If this mapping is wrong, we get to a situation where some color is brighter at some brightness level than others which causes color tone issue. OnePlus 8 Pro had the same issue during launch but OnePlus was able to fix (at least partially) it with software update. There are several other cases in the past also.

Users of Huawei Mate 20 Pro said that the issue could be caused as a side effect of the screen’s glue drying out. So the glue might actually have an effect (making the variation even greater).

 

OnePlus Nord has the same issue and it seems to be even worse. There is a video on the article.

I am wondering if this issue could be fixed with custom kernel like on Pixel 4 XL?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms