How to control notification light?

26 minutes ago, Craig said:

We really need stickies in this forum for info like this.  I only really learned this here myself.  Now, if I'm going to charge overnight, I use an older slow charger (or from a PC i leave on overnight). Quick charger is now reserved for when I'm getting ready to go out and see my phone isn't full enough, as it can add a lot of charge real quick.

We could easily get too many stickies, so people drown in them. But you are right this is important. Maybe we should have a thread over in the new "How Tos" group, on how to take best care of the Pro1. One could copy the main stuff and then link to the existing threads perhaps?

It could be on the battery, on the screen protector (I think there is a rather recent thread advising how to apply without bubbles), perhaps cases, for those into that stuff.

The thread could also be expanded to a "How to get the most out of your Pro1" or similar, that also pointed to (IMHO vital) stuff lake FinQWERTY, and other stuff that can drastically improve the experience.

It could also point to the alternative OS-threads.

It could tell on OTA

It could also help on ho to disable stock apps you do not need. Good candidates could be some of the GApps 😇

And perhaps some on known bugfixes or workarounds for known bugs, (that could be cleaned out as they are patched)

And perhaps other stuff....

If you are game for creating such a 'hub' thread, I will make it sticky.... 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We really need stickies in this forum for info like this.  I only really learned this here myself.  Now, if I'm going to charge overnight, I use an older slow charger (or from a PC i leave on overnigh

It was controllable early on, but they changed that, as the placement of the individual RGB had the effect that in some angles one were more or less blocked, giving a wrong resulting colour. So what i

Or put it face down while sleeping 😁

On 2/7/2020 at 2:54 AM, EskeRahn said:

One could copy the main stuff and then link to the existing threads perhaps?

Yes please.

A hub thread with links to main stuff seems to be the best choice.

You can use spoiler tags to make 2-level grouping

Or make a wiki where people can suggest changes (not one where people can change directly; we already know how much work wikipedia requires)

Edited by brunoais
  • Thanks 1

My friend having trouble using notification light on his Pro1.

I have told him to install a program like "Light Manager 2" but it does not work for him.
When charging, red light works. When charged, green light also works...
...but none of the settings of Light Manager 2 works - even "testing" of specific light has no effect.

I have told him to try Textra which also has notification setting, but it also did not work.

As far as I know, he tried another notification app without any effect.

We have cleared cache, removed application, restarted phone, reinstalled application but nothing helped.
The same application works well on my own Pro1 anyway, OS image and kernel version are the latest in both phones.

So, one of my questions would be what is the interface where notification light can be talked and what may be the reason it doesn't work for him?
Permissions were the same like in my own Pro1, also enabled developer mode - but it still does not work.

Any ideas?
He doesn't want to do a factory reset anyway.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, VaZso said:

Any ideas?

He doesn't want to do a factory reset anyway.

If he has root you can try if the LEDs work from terminal, first make sure you are root by running 'su' and then:

echo 255 > /sys/class/leds/red/brightness

To turn the LED fully red, change red to blue and green in the path to set brightness of other colors. Values for brightness are between 0 and 255, you can echo 0 to all 3 colors to turn the LED off. If that works for all colors at least you can know it is not a hardware problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, netman said:

If he has root you can try if the LEDs work from terminal, first make sure you are root by running 'su' and then:

echo 255 > /sys/class/leds/red/brightness

To turn the LED fully red, change red to blue and green in the path to set brightness of other colors. Values for brightness are between 0 and 255, you can echo 0 to all 3 colors to turn the LED off. If that works for all colors at least you can know it is not a hardware problem.

Unfortunately, he don't have root access and also I have not gained root as it may cause problems with OTA - this is one reason why I don't like Android.

Also, he has closed bootloader while I have opened it in case a reliable backup solution will come up.
(I would like to have a real backup / restore solution later.)

Basically LED is working for him, at least red and green can be controller by system but not by a user application which is strange as it works for me using the same software version...

• Thanks 1

We have seen that SOME apps controls the LED correctly, though not ALL apps. The link in the initial post of this thread works.

Try this after install in the app

1. Select the three bars and System Status,
  2. Select (e.g.) Aeroplane Mode
  3. Select a colour
  4. Select Test
  5. Click OK
  6. Click Power off, and wait a few second

It should start pulsating in the selected colour.

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

We have seen that SOME apps controls the LED correctly, though not ALL apps. The link in the initial post of this thread works.

3. Select a colour
  4. Select Test
  5. Click OK

We did it in exactly the same application but not on a system status but an application - so selected a colour, clicked on test, then on OK, turned the screen off and...

It works perfectly with my phone but not with his phone - side by side each other...

Does "System status" change anything related to its test function?

I thought "AMOLED" as a suspicious application, but disabling did not help, removing it did not help and I could install it while notification app still working (when display is not active, but it can be configured).

So this app did not work with his phone even though system can use it to notify about nearly empty battery, battery charging and battery charged function.
I think it seems something is blocks access to this function but I don't know how to find it and as there is no permission to reach it under sys filesystem, I could not even directly test it. (Also, what a strange thing you have no access to your own phone because of Android's silly restrictions - shame on them.)

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, VaZso said:

It works perfectly with my phone but not with his phone - side by side each other...

Does "System status" change anything related to its test function?

Really odd that it works on some and not others. Only explanation when the LED works on charging is that some software are different.

I assume we are on newest OTA on all, and that the notification access has been granted? And if so there really are only two possible explanations. Either we got something installed that magically make it work OR he got something installed that somehow interfere and disallow it.

Could it be a program that ALSO got some notification LED action (he might not be aware of the app has), and this app somehow got an exclusive lock on the LED access???

And on the last, I highly doubt it, that was just what I tested that worked. Just tried a few others that worked with Test too.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

3. Select a colour
  4. Select Test
  5. Click OK

which app do you speak about, EskeRahn ?  i tried LightManager 2 but not much happens, actually no change at all.  also the app-built-in tests to make the LEDs shine doesn't work.  i assume i don't need root access, correct ?  i even rebooted the pro1 w/o success, no LEDs lighting up...

which is the most suitable app to get the LEDs running for regular notifications such as SMS or missed calls ?  i currently don't care much about the green charging LED, but i would like the LEDs help with my daily work flow.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pistikem said:

which app do you speak about, EskeRahn ?  i tried LightManager 2 but not much happens, actually no change at all.  also the app-built-in tests to make the LEDs shine doesn't work.  i assume i don't need root access, correct ?  i even rebooted the pro1 w/o success, no LEDs lighting up...

which is the most suitable app to get the LEDs running for regular notifications such as SMS or missed calls ?  i currently don't care much about the green charging LED, but i would like the LEDs help with my daily work flow.

That is the one, linked in the op. No root or anything here.

After pressing Test and ok, you do press Power to turn the screen off and wait a bit, right? It does NOT show the colour when the screen is On, nether immediately after screen Off. I would say within 5 seconds.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I assume we are on newest OTA on all, and that the notification access has been granted? And if so there really are only two possible explanations. Either we got something installed that magically make it work OR he got something installed that somehow interfere and disallow it.

That is also what I thought but I could not find any applications that I thought it may affect it...

Also we are on the latest OTA...

• Like 2
1 minute ago, VaZso said:

That is also what I thought but I could not find any applications that I thought it may affect it...

Also we are on the latest OTA...

Another possibility is some software a little too aggressively putting things to sleep when the screen goes Off?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Another possibility is some software a little too aggressively putting things to sleep when the screen goes Off?

I don't know but I haven't seen any related apps installed anyway.

That AMOLED app was suspicious because it provides an on-screen display (which would be good to be enabled by default anyway), but that was also uninstalled which had no effect...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, VaZso said:

I don't know but I haven't seen any related apps installed anyway.

That AMOLED app was suspicious because it provides an on-screen display (which would be good to be enabled by default anyway), but that was also uninstalled which had no effect...

Well the standard question is of course what happens after a factory reset without install of previous?

But that is a bit of overkill I guess. Maybe trying to compare the list of installed apps (enabled) could be a good starting point. And we are sure the Light Manager got notification access, right? If you uninstall and re-install it, it should clearly have a button to enable notification access.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Well the standard question is of course what happens after a factory reset without install of previous?

But that is a bit of overkill I guess. Maybe trying to compare the list of installed apps (enabled) could be a good starting point. And we are sure the Light Manager got notification access, right? If you uninstall and re-install it, it should clearly have a button to enable notification access.

It had the same accesses enabled and application's version was also the same.

The only thing I didn't dare to do is to remove Light Manager from my own phone then reinstall it again to see if it still works...

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

That is the one, linked in the op. No root or anything here.

After pressing Test and ok, you do press Power to turn the screen off and wait a bit, right? It does NOT show the colour when the screen is On, nether immediately after screen Off. I would say within 5 seconds.

no luck so far, EskeRahn, though thank you for your suggestion.  i run Light Manager 2 in 'normal' and in 'alternating' mode, wait for seconds and seconds, without any lack, no LED activity whatsoever.  only the 'screen mode' works, on the OLED obviously.

but i also observed that the app doesn't show anymore its transparent three-ring logo/icon at the left top, for whatever reason...  does that mean something ?

CORRECTION :  green light (associated with missed calls) works - but not for any of the other services nor colors...even when i set a service' color to green for example...

Edited by pistikem
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, pistikem said:

but i also observed that the app doesn't show anymore its transparent three-ring logo/icon at the left top, for whatever reason...  does that mean something ?

I have no idea. I do not know the app, nor how it is supposed to look. Only installed it to test this.

Anyone else in here that knows? @VaZso ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I have no idea. I do not know the app, nor how it is supposed to look. Only installed it to test this.

Anyone else in here that knows? @VaZso ?

I don't know, I have just installed and it works well for me...
...but it does not work on my friend's phone.

Basically one can assign a colour to a notification of an application.
You can even test it and it should display appropriate colour then...

Anyway, it seems for me those values are digital 1 or 0 so I have not really noticed any change in brightness - I wanted to lower the brightness of notifications without any success.

Also, RGB LED is a bit uneven, if I was F(x)tec, I would put some light diffuser on top of them...

• Like 1

CORRECTION #2 : testing the indicator LED actually worked just once, for missed phone calls - now it doesn't make a blink, nada.  i suppose the Android permission settings in my Pro1 don't suit the requirements for the Light Manager 2 app.  oh man, how much do i miss the CLI - there at least i know what and when i do something wrong...

is there any other app out there that could help here ?

HOPPALAH !  the LED is now blinking yellowish and greenish alternatingly, perhaps some 10min after i had started the last test !  there is even some red in the light.  as you say, VaZso, a light diffusor would definitely help here the Pro1 !  but, as i do this 'testing' one more time the LEDs again stay pitch-black...

i think i will try another LED indicator app.

CORRECTION #3 : removing LM2 and some other LED controlling apps just resulted in having the LED now glow only in green, even while charging...!

Edited by pistikem
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I tried some testing without much success with Light Flow a couple days ago.  I didn't do a lot of testing, because I got sidetracked with a bug where gmail notifications won't come through in a timely manner and that is what I was using to test notifications.  Turns out google changed something on purpose to not make gmail notifications be timely.  They say that email is something that doesn't need to be dealt with on in a timely manner.  Now, either they are covering up for their mistake, or it is yet another case of google thinking they know what we want, when they clearly don't.  The way around it is to disable "doze" and lose a little bit of battery life, but I'll probably end up going down that route until they, hopefully, change their mind.

The problem is that they set a lower priority on the push notifications from their servers to the phones, and that, coupled with doze, makes the notifications delayed at the phone end.  Other apps don't set the priorities lower, and those notifications come in right away.  Stupid google.

I mention all that, because other people who might be using emails to test notifications might run into the issue.  You can email yourself from another email account.  It is harder to text yourself from another device, unless you have another cellular account, or send IM messages to yourself.

Anyway, I got sidetracked on that issue, but I'll be doing more LED light testing, and can add to the pool of knowledge around this (whether I succeed or fail).  I'll try Light Manager 2 next time I test this.

• Like 2

Is it just me, or is the "notification light" a group of three separate LEDs? Why not one combined RGB LED? Then there would not have been such an obvious need for a diffuser...

Either way, I am wondering how to control notification light on Sailfish OS. Not particularly important - PDF reader is more important. But, interesting...

Thank you. Best wishes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Per aspera ad astra...

52 minutes ago, Wikiwide said:

PDF reader is more importan

I'm pulling this off topic, sorry... but have you tried NSR Reader? What issue you having with PDF readers?

I have no idea how many physical LEDs there are, but if I was curious, I'd see what I could see in the disassembly guide.

Edited by Craig

@VaZso Per your "Correction" posts above, I have a question... On your friend's phone does the green LED blink correctly for missed calls, and you just want to change the color (which isn't working on his, but is on yours)?  Or is the LED not blinking at all?

@Everyone: My green LED was blinking for missed calls and new text messages, but that completely stopped recently (not sure of the exact day as it's not a daily driver (waiting on LOS), but it was sometime this past week).  Is this a thing, I couldn't find it posted as an issue...? 

FYI: My phone is back to being completely stock, doesn't have any non-stock apps installed, I didn't change any settings (unless by accident, but doubtful), latest firmware, phone and messaging apps have permissions, and LED works well when charging (both red and green solid colors when appropriate).