Finally got it, but ... what?

Submitted this also as a Support Ticket, but I am a bit confused on some things with this phone, as-is when unboxed:

1) Shipped with a multi-country AC Adapter, cool!

2) Only an 18 inch USB cable? Do people really put their phone on the floor when charging it?

3) Wait... this USB cable is Type A (typical ubiquitous rectangle, the end that plugs into the AC Adapter) but the other end is Type B Micro -- and the phone is USB C! There's no other cable in the box, so as-is from the box, I can't even charge the phone. (Fortunately I have spare USB C cables)

4) OK, let's go through the quickstart instructions. They show that there's a USB-Micro port next to the SIM/SDCard slot - ok, that might explain the USB-Micro cable

5) ... but there's no such USB Micro port next to the SIM/SDCard slot on the phone itself, and even later pictures in the same Quickstart don't show it.

6) Meh, whatever, let's go register it with Verizon.... Oh look, Verizon doesn't support it, even though it's CDMA... 

I'm now powering up an old Droid 2 Turbo (which Verizon's website assures me I can reactivate, and it has the correct type of SIM Card, which VZW's website also assures me is valid) to perform the Mule trick outlined in https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2133-fxtec-on-verizon/page/5/ and we'll see how that goes, but for first thoughts:

• Documentation discusses a feature that doesn't exist
  • Phone shipped with a stupidly short charging cable, and of the wrong type to even charge the phone
  • Phone not recognized by Verizon for activation, even though the device was delayed an additional 6 months, reportedly to make sure all of the registrations were done as well as to correct issues in production. Did they not register it with Verizon, one of the largest carriers in the US?

• Haha 4

I received a USB C cable of adequate length with my phone on Monday.  I don't remember anything about a ghost USB mini port in my docs. Verizon has no interest in supporting CDMA, much less a tiny start-up device company. There's a thread here on activating Pro1s on Verizon, it ended up working for me.

Edited by ermghoti
  • Like 2

Here is the Verizon thread, and, yes, as @ermghoti said, Verizon is pahsing out their CDMA network and has no interest in allowing a new, unknown phone from a small company on their old CDMA network.  They won't even register their own phones on it anymore.  However, the Pro 1 works fine on Verizon (except possibly in areas where LTEis not prevalent yet).

• Like 2
Just now, Hook said:

Here is the Verizon thread, and, yes, as @ermghoti said, Verizon is pahsing out their CDMA network and has no interest in allowing a new, unknown phone from a small company on their old CDMA network.  They won't even register their own phones on it anymore.  However, the Pro 1 works fine on Verizon (except possibly in areas where LTEis not prevalent yet).

Yes, I linked to this thread in my original post - i'm going through the steps now.

I have an old Verizon-branded Droid 2 Turbo that I was able to reactivate, and now I'm going through the software update phases before i try to enable the SIM on the Pro1

New observation - that 'chime' sound is INSANELY loud - even though I have sound settings completely muted...

Trying Do Not Disturb mode to see if that helps... my entire household is audio-sensory-sensitive, will definitely need to find a way to quiet that chime

8 minutes ago, Rayanth said:

New observation - that 'chime' sound is INSANELY loud - even though I have sound settings completely muted...

Trying Do Not Disturb mode to see if that helps... my entire household is audio-sensory-sensitive, will definitely need to find a way to quiet that chime

the chime is loud, but selecting a different chime works more or less fine without any extra configuration or rooting.

18 minutes ago, ermghoti said:

I received a USB C cable of adequate length with my phone on Monday.  I don't remember anything about a ghost USB mini port in my docs. Verizon has no interest in supporting CDMA, much less a tiny start-up device company. There's a thread here on activating Pro1s on Verizon, it ended up working for me.

using the online instructions, wife didn't hand me printed ones -- online instructions (https://www.fxtec.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/QuickGuide.pdf) show image.png.f82c0ad7a1c9983ce1bf1653974d0fd6.png:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure what happened - first time I put the nano SIM in, it wasn't registering that it even had a SIM card. There's only one way the SIM card can go in so I'm pretty sure I didn't have it flipped. Pulled it out and put it back in, noticed that it was very easy to jar the card loose from the tray, so maybe it had been shifted a little the first time?

Now working fine - test call, test text message got through to my other phone... just gotta figure out how to transfer all the data, contacts, etc from her other phone now.

Edited by Rayanth
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, Rayanth said:

using the online instructions, wife didn't hand me printed ones -- online instructions (https://www.fxtec.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/QuickGuide.pdf) show :

That is a bug in the instructions. Let us here flag @Erik, @Elysia and @Waxberry and hope one of them can get at the least the online version fixed ASAP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Rayanth said:

Did you tap the gear icon in the pop-up that you get to from pushing the volume-up/down buttons?  That will allow you to adjust the volumes for all the various sounds.

Can't find a way on the Pro1 to get google to retrieve backup from prior device... any pointers? The backup screen just has Back Up, does not have any Restore...

Google "retrieve" is pretty flakey IMO... I don't think I've ever been able to restore a back-up from the settings menu. BUT I opted - for the first time ever - to restore from my previous device (Pixel OG) during the initial set-up of my Pro1 and astoundingly it worked like a charm! Apps, settings, wifi, SMS were all ported flawlessly. I still can't believe it worked 😂😂

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, _DW_ said:

Mine definitely shipped with a TYPE-C usb cable but it is way to short tbh.  Instructions in the box are correct....   Verizon no idea not in US

But it's perfect when sitting next to my computer and jacked in.
For everything else, I have 4 of these.

Pretty Red Cable

They are amazeballs.

Edited by sequestris
  • Like 3

Can't find a way on the Pro1 to get google to retrieve backup from prior device... any pointers? The backup screen just has Back Up, does not have any Restore...

Gah. i wish I had paid better attention, but as soon as I put my Google account in it asked me which device, I pointed to me ZTE MAX Pro and went back to surfing my Hello Kitty Facebook group for...a while...

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, david said:

Did you tap the gear icon in the pop-up that you get to from pushing the volume-up/down buttons?  That will allow you to adjust the volumes for all the various sounds.

I had that one completely muted, but the chime still sounded when it did an OS update, and it practically echoed through the house. DoNotDisturb seems to have helped.

Other updates: now working fine on Verizon. Was able to directly perform a Bluetooth connection between old and new phone, and transferred contacts that way, but if I open the Google " set up a new device" on the old phone, it can't find any phone (out of three other phones sitting next to it) on Bluetooth, so I gave up on that tactic. Google on the Pro did at least identify apps it could install from the last phone, and the contacts are transferred, so that will have to be good enough.

Now to wait for an answer about the inclusion of a charging cable of the wrong type of connector, that's shorter than...well, probably shouldn't finish that sentence.

I had that one completely muted, but the chime still sounded when it did an OS update, and it practically echoed through the house. DoNotDisturb seems to have helped.

I had put a test alarm in last night and omg was it loud and I had it on half volume!  Well I guess we can say the speakers are good 😄 (not handy in your household though!)

• Like 1
17 hours ago, ermghoti said:

I stand corrected: the Mini USB appears in the Quick Start Guide Diagram as well. I disregarded it because I had already found the USB C, which is correctly labeled on the back view diagram in the guide.

The USB C cable I received is about 1 meter.