Jump to content
TheOnlyRick

SD cards not being recognised

Recommended Posts

On 2/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, david said:

There are apps for windows that will format larger cards as FAT32:

Alternatively, once the phone formats the card as FAT32, you can take it out of the phone and put it back into the computer and copy the files.  Windows can read larger cards that are formatted for FAT32, it just won't format them with the built in tools.

Alternatively, you can try switching the phone to "File transfer" (MTP) mode and see if it shows up over the USB connection.  If not, you can also try enabling USB Debugging in the phone.  If that still doesn't show the SD card, you can set up a WebDAV or FTP server on the phone and run clients on the PC to access the phone wirelessly, over wifi.  Or, if this is a one time thing, you can upload the files to the cloud and then download them on the phone.

When the phone formatted the card, did it give you the full 64GB of space?

I will have to try that windows app then, but weird that dismgt and diskpart didn't work.

Windows can't read the card once the phone formats it. I also tried MTP, it only shows internal storage. Even with USB debugging turned on.

I could try getting the files back over wifi I suppose, though it will be slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I tried again today and got different behaviour (?).

Deleted all partitions on the card in Windows, and put the card into the phone. It didn't ask to format the card this time (?) it just did I guess, because it shows all 64GB.

I then hooked up to the computer with USB debugging and MTP, and the card is showing (but not internal storage, maybe because of USB debugging?).

Transferring the backed up files via USB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, br0die said:

I will have to try that windows app then, but weird that dismgt and diskpart didn't work.

Windows can't read the card once the phone formats it. I also tried MTP, it only shows internal storage. Even with USB debugging turned on.

I could try getting the files back over wifi I suppose, though it will be slow.

Yeah, not sure what happened with diskmgmt and diskpart.

I am surprised Windows can't read it after being formatted.  Are you sure you picked the option, in android, to use the card to store external files, and not the one that combines it with internal storage?  The latter will format it in a way that isn't recognized by windows.  And Android won't view it as external storage, hence won't show it as separate with MTP.

WiFi, with 802.11ac isn't super duper slow.   If your router doesn't support 802.11ac, but your pc does, you can turn on the phone Hotspot and connect the computer to the phone and transfer directly over that link.  I think writing to the SD card in that arrangement might be about as fast as the SD card can be written too now anyway, due to an issue with the phone/firmware that is slowing down SD card writes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, br0die said:

OK I tried again today and got different behaviour (?).

Deleted all partitions on the card in Windows, and put the card into the phone. It didn't ask to format the card this time (?) it just did I guess, because it shows all 64GB.

I then hooked up to the computer with USB debugging and MTP, and the card is showing (but not internal storage, maybe because of USB debugging?).

Transferring the backed up files via USB.

Not showing internal storage is odd.  

Glad it is working though.  You can try PTP mode to see if it shows internal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My empty 250GB is being read as a 500GB that's 50% full. 

Not a huge deal as it works, but a bit annoying when calculating free space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adrienspawn said:

My empty 250GB is being read as a 500GB that's 50% full. 

Not a huge deal as it works, but a bit annoying when calculating free space.

What make/model?

What was it formatted with? 

Have you tried to write over 250 GB to it to see if you were sent the wrong one (and really have a 500 GB card)?  Is it set as external storage, or shared with internal storage in the phone?

Edited by david

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, david said:

What make/model?

What was it formatted with? 

Have you tried to write over 250 GB to it to see if you were sent the wrong one (and really have a 500 GB card)?  Is it set as external storage, or shared with internal storage in the phone?

Patriot and it was in my Priv before, formatted by the Pro1 after insertion, set as internal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Adrienspawn said:

Patriot and it was in my Priv before, formatted by the Pro1 after insertion, set as internal.

I found others reporting this same thing online for other phones.  It looks like it is just an android bug in how it reports it.  It seems to do it with some brands of SD cards, but not others.  It only happens when you use it as adoptable (shared with internal) storage.  So it seems like nothing to be overly concerned about.  You'll just have to mentally subtract half the space when you look at that screen.  Apparently other storage tool apps will show it properly, so you could try one of those.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When i first inserted Samsung Evo 512gb sd card in pro1 it didn't read or detect it and no sd card was showing.

i take it out and tested in my Note8 and surface pro, it worked on both.

so i put it back in Pro1 and it still didn't show.

so while trying to make it work i went to sd card manager and there it showed that my sd card in not formatted in fat32 and gave me an option to reformat.

after reformatting the sd card works fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, kashif said:

When i first inserted Samsung Evo 512gb sd card in pro1 it didn't read or detect it and no sd card was showing.

i take it out and tested in my Note8 and surface pro, it worked on both.

so i put it back in Pro1 and it still didn't show.

so while trying to make it work i went to sd card manager and there it showed that my sd card in not formatted in fat32 and gave me an option to reformat.

after reformatting the sd card works fine

It was probably formatted as exFAT before.   That is the standard format for cards larger than 32 GB.  But for a device to read that, they have to pay money to Microsoft.  The surface pro, being a Microsoft device, can obviously read it.  The Note 8, being from a company with billions of dollars, has paid for the licensing.  Fxtec hasn't paid for the licensing.  However, Microsoft has now made the code available for free, so it should be coming in some future version of the firmware.

When you say that it didn't show the first two times, were you looking in Settings->Storage, or thought it would pop up on the screen?

By "sd card manager", do you mean an app by that name?

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Almost no cards will work out of the box with the Pro1, because they will generally be over 32 GB today, and will be exFAT formatted.  If we had a short list of key tips for first time Pro1 use, this would be a good one to be on it.

Edited by david

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, david said:

When you say that it didn't show the first two times, were you looking in Settings->Storage, or thought it would pop up on the screen?

By "sd card manager", do you mean an app by that name?

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Almost no cards will work out of the box with the Pro1, because they will generally be over 32 GB today, and will be exFAT formatted.  If we had a short list of key tips for first time Pro1 use, this would be a good one to be on it.

first time when i was looking, i opened files and the card was not showing there as it should

yes i got an app called sd card manager that i downloaded.

well before buying 512gb, i bought 256gb and when i inserted that the pro1 detected it straight away but did asked to format it.

but later when i got 512gb and inserted the pro1 didnt detected it or popup any msg to format it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kashif said:

well before buying 512gb, i bought 256gb and when i inserted that the pro1 detected it straight away but did asked to format it.

but later when i got 512gb and inserted the pro1 didnt detected it or popup any msg to format it.

I wonder what it would have shown in the Settings->storage screen at that point.  There may be some sort of but where it figures it has already dealt with the SD card and isn't expecting another one, hence no pop-up.  Hard to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have noticed that my card will stop working after some time, and a reboot will make it show again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kzin said:

I have noticed that my card will stop working after some time, and a reboot will make it show again.

Mine doesn't do that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 8:29 PM, david said:

for a device to read that, they have to pay money to Microsoft. 

But, like you said later in your post, now exfat is open. It's in linux 5.4 kernel.  We have 4.4.  I believe it can be backported but I dunno about such magic, doubt we'll get it on stock.  Unless it comes with like Android 11 or something.

 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Samsung EVO microSDXC 128Gb (UHS-I, up to 100 MB/s) card and Pro1 is able to recognize it. The phone just wanted to reformat the card before I was able to use it as an external drive.

Edited by FlyingAntero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

I have Samsung EVO microSDXC 128Gb (UHS-I, up to 100 MB/s) card and Pro1 is able to recognize it. The phone just wanted to reformat the card before I was able to use it as an external drive.

Are you getting 100 MB/s on benchmark apps running on the Pro1 for that card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, david said:

Are you getting 100 MB/s on benchmark apps running on the Pro1 for that card?

Not sure how I should test but I ran couple test in Androbench 5.

image.png.af17c6e7e52d5a0d27af538b93f1b1be.png

So, I am not able to reach 100MB/s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FlyingAntero said:

Not sure how I should test but I ran couple test in Androbench 5.

image.png.af17c6e7e52d5a0d27af538b93f1b1be.png

So, I am not able to reach 100MB/s.

Thanks.  Around 20 MB/s sequential read/write is consistent with what I and others have gotten.  Something is making it perform well under the UHS-1 speeds.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms