Will Android 11, 10 be supported?

I really wish FxTec was more communicative.  It's super sad to see all the reading between the lines, guessing, and tossing information together because nobody is told what is actually happening or not.

I'm not officially authorized to say anything about OTAs, but I will just say don't hold your breath for stock Q or R.  But of course Lineage should have Q in probably a couple weeks and then R pretty much as soon as all the other devices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
9 hours ago, tdm said:

I really wish FxTec was more communicative.  It's super sad to see all the reading between the lines, guessing, and tossing information together because nobody is told what is actually happening or not.

I'm not officially authorized to say anything about OTAs, but I will just say don't hold your breath for stock Q or R.  But of course Lineage should have Q in probably a couple weeks and then R pretty much as soon as all the other devices.

I much hope they will skip Q and jump to R as security updates on R goes through the Android Market. This way FxTec could completely avoid Google's certification-mess for security updates through standard OTA updates. So they should only handle changes/fixes to their own drivers/software. EDIT, see below...

8 hours ago, tdm said:

This is fantastic, is it possible to donate to the lineageOS Project for the pro1 support specifically?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, eldarion said:

This is fantastic, is it possible to donate to the lineageOS Project for the pro1 support specifically?

Thanks for the thought. It's mostly just me and @npjohnson
but I'm not sure about his feelings on donations. We have both received devices for development, which I personally consider due reward in itself.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

I much hope they will skip Q and jump to R as security updates on R goes through the Android Market. This way FxTec could completely avoid Google's certification-mess for security updates through standard OTA updates. So they should only handle changes/fixes to their own drivers/software.

Actually, security updates are not distributed via Play Store in Android 11 but some security holes can be fixed since system modifications are allowed via Play Store.

To counteract this, Android 11 gives more power related to updates over to the Google Play Store. This allows Google to bypass carriers and OEMs entirely and push out updates to everyone. Of course, it still can’t issue the latest version of Android in this fashion or even the latest security patches. However, it can fix some security holes with this method and even update specific aspects of the Android system, too.

This is universally a good thing as it will keep Android phones safer and more up-to-date, even if the OEM has abandoned the phone. Obviously, it would be much better if that didn’t happen, but at least Google is doing what it can to address this issue.

Previously F(x)tec said that Android 10 update is already in the works. If that is true then I would take it. Otherwise it is better to start working with Android 11 update.

• Thanks 2
54 minutes ago, tdm said:

but I'm not sure about his feelings on donations. We have both received devices for development, which I personally consider due reward in itself.

I can not thank you guys enough for the work done. But the number of hours i bet you guys have used on this versus the price of the two devices would still leave room for quite some donations without anyone could reasonably consider you greedy...

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

Actually, security updates are not distributed via Play Store in Android 11 but some security holes can be fixed since system modifications are allowed via Play Store.

You are right, I over-interpreted from what I read elsewhere.
They only claim this:

• Google Play System Updates, launched last year, lets us expedite updates of core OS components to devices in the Android ecosystem. In Android 11, we more than doubled the number of updatable modules, and those 12 new modules will help improve privacy, security, and consistency for users and developers.

And though that obviously is an improvement it is not including everything. 😥

• Like 2
3 hours ago, tdm said:

To second @EskeRahn , I literally wouldn't be able to use the pro1 without the LOS fixes. And getting Q and R? For me it wouldn't be about "due reward", you guys deserve a goddamn altar 😉 and I would definitely like to be able to show my appreciation.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, eldarion said:

To second @EskeRahn , I literally wouldn't be able to use the pro1 without the LOS fixes. And getting Q and R? For me it wouldn't be about "due reward", you guys deserve a goddamn altar 😉 and I would definitely like to be able to show my appreciation.

• Thanks 1
On 9/15/2020 at 8:12 AM, tdm said:

Well I am still not on LOS (I am planning to move in a month, when I have a vacation). But I will share my opinion anyway:
First of all, thank you for your great work, I am not using it now, but I do appreciate it!
The free device is a reward yes. But it is a really shitty pay compared to the hours you guys put in. So it would be totally okay to take donations*.

So if your only doubt with taking donations is the fact that you received a free phone, forget it and take donations.
But if you just have phone developing and don't need to money... well there is a downside to donations. Donations always means some form of pressure.
Someone opening an Issue and donating a lot of money, will always give you the feeling that you need to fix this instantly (even though it is seldom meant this way)

*If you think that you don't need the money, you could also point people to donate to some charity (or other FOSS project) in your name.

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
  • Thanks 4
  • 1 month later...

Android 11 is already available as an unofficial Lineage OS build.

Working:
Camera (and flashlight)
WiFi
NFC
Bluetooth
Telephony (Calls and Data)
Audio (Record and Playback)
Video Playback
Sensors
GPS
HW crypto (FBE)
Built-in keyboard

Broken:
Nothing (?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 year later...

Apologies for bumping this thread, but I received an email from my employer today telling me that for the company to obtain CyberEssentials+ certification we must be able to demonstarte to the auditors that all mobile devices are running Android v10 or above.  I need to upgrade my device to by 28/02/22.  Does anyone know if F(x)Tec are ever planning to release v10 for the Pro1?

I have emailed F(x)Tec support but due to their slow response time thought I'd give the community a go.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, PC_ said:

Apologies for bumping this thread, but I received an email from my employer today telling me that for the company to obtain CyberEssentials+ certification we must be able to demonstarte to the auditors that all mobile devices are running Android v10 or above.  I need to upgrade my device to by 28/02/22. 

Since I have installed LineageOS on my Pro1, I am much happier. 🙂

So by installing current LineageOS (18.1), you will have an Android 11 device with much more optimized speed.
If you also need SafetyNet working, you need to use Magisk but that way also NFC payment is working for me which was unsupported on stock firmware.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PC_ said:

Does anyone know if F(x)Tec are ever planning to release v10 for the Pro1?

I am pretty sure there will never be an official Android 10 or 11 for the original Pro1. All development efforts target the Pro1X by now.

As @VaZso wrote, Lineage 17.1 and 18.1 are available for the Pro1, and are technically equivalent to Android 10 and 11. Lineage 19.0 is already in preparation. 

However, I have doubts that your security auditors will consider a custom ROM as equivalent to an official Android provided by the device manufacturer when it comes to certifications.

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 2
18 hours ago, claude0001 said:

However, I have doubts that your security auditors will consider a custom ROM as equivalent to an official Android provided by the device manufacturer when it comes to certifications.

I think you are right on this. But it is stupid, I would say LOS is at least on pair with a Android FxTec patched together.

However, they likely just have to show, that it runs Android 11 which it does, and will not have a further look at it. So I guess it is the best shot he has to get a Pro1 through.

10 hours ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

But it is stupid, I would say LOS is at least on pair with a Android FxTec patched together.

I'm using Lineage myself and completely agree on that point.

However, also @EskeRahn is right in that "certification" of a software does not necessarily mean that the software in question is technically superior to any other. It just guarantees that it fulfills the requirements of a certain defined standard in terms of configuration and behaviour. 

Technically, my self-built LineageOS 16.0 is, both, more capable and more secure than Stock Android 9: unlike the latter, it contains the latest security patches and the many feature enhancements implemented by the LOS community and myself. However, without code-review, no-one can guarantee that I did not modifiy critical parts of the base AOSP system in a way they simply do not qualify as "Android" anymore, or that I did not include backdoors, malware, or other evil-cracker stuff at compile time. Hence my ROM cannot (and should not) be considered a certified Android 9. 

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, claude0001 said:

I'm using Lineage myself and completely agree on that point.

However, also @EskeRahn is right in that "certification" of a software does not necessarily mean that the software in question is technically superior to any other. It just guarantees that it fulfills the requirements of a certain defined standard in terms of configuration and behaviour. 

Technically, my self-built LineageOS 16.0 is, both, more capable and more secure than Stock Android 9: unlike the latter, it contains the latest security patches and the many feature enhancements implemented by the LOS community and myself. However, without code-review, no-one can guarantee that I did not modifiy critical parts of the base AOSP system in a way they simply do not qualify as "Android" anymore, or that I did not include backdoors, malware, or other evil-cracker stuff at compile time. Hence my ROM cannot (and should not) be considered a certified Android 9. 

I completely agree! But just to check for a certified android without even looking at what apps are installed is just worthless.
I know that it is bitter reality.

• Like 3