Spontaneous reboots - discssion on possible causes

1 hour ago, auvo.salmi said:

As I have reported before, my device has been having random reboots once a while. It has been almost daily. Typically, when I wake up, I come to kitchen from upstairs and start to make breakfast. Looks like I have better network upstairs, because these reboots almost always happen in the kitchen, usually at morning when having breakfast. Also I have those reboots sometimes when I travel to places with weaker network coverage. But what is strange, is that I don't have these reboots anymore. Like, at all. Let's say no reboots in 7 days at least. Nothing have changed in my phone lately, and I haven't changed network operator etc. Of course it is possible that the operator has made some changes to area's network coverage, but anyway looks like these reboots are gone for some reason.

I have also suffered from unresponsive screen issue, which mostly happens when the device has been sleeping for a while (over night typically), and when I try to wake it up, the screen doesn't respond. It's offtopic here, but I just wanted to tell that for some reason, I also have these issues much more rarely than before (it used to be like few times in a day). So looks like the issues have fixed themselves apparently, which is awesome!

These are really strange issues. But I have a strong suspicion that it is related to one or more specific bands. I have no idea if it is switching from that band to a weak signal or it is switching to that band with a weak signal.

I mean if it was just a weak signal in general, then more people would have it frequently. Say when ever we go to a basement, or a a parking cellar or tunnel without repeaters.

I have a friend living in a rural area with very weak signals for my provider, only able to use my phones in some rooms and preferable near the windows at one end, and seldom 4G, just 3G. This goes for the Pro1 too, but it never caused a reboot by the Pro1 visiting her. So it is not ALL weak signals that trigger the issue.

• Like 1
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday I had two spontaneous reboots while having a call. I was working on my garage, and had working gloves on. First time I really thought that the device rebooted spontaneously, and the second t

Alright, so I just had my first random reboot. For me, this has never been an issue until today, when I connected to GF's new wireless router. I remarked that I found the signal strength a bit lacking

I believe my Pro1 reboots sometimes. I reported long time (like 2 months) ago, that the Pro1 queries pin code sometimes. I was thinking that it only loses network. I even replaced my sim card, to make

Posted Images

3 hours ago, kashif said:

I have never experienced any reboots. i am wondering if a batch of phones were faulty

I had a few reboots while the pro1 was in my pocket.

My guess is that I long pressed the power button by accident.

1 hour ago, kontakt said:

I had a few reboots while the pro1 was in my pocket.

My guess is that I long pressed the power button by accident.

Any phone has a weaker signal in a pocket than it usually have on a table. As the body more or less blocks the signal. So if in an area with a a weak signal, pocketing can make it worse. And as other have reported this related to weak signals, I find this more likely than accidentally pressing the power button - though this of course could happen.

I always recommend people working at a desk to put their phone on the desk, as this gives a better signal, and thus also prolongs the stamina, often quite significantly, to the benefit of the overall life of the the battery too.

I'm having something curious happening, but I'm not sure that it's the same a being described here.  Every so often, I just find my Pro1 off  This is recent and I need to collect better data on when it happens (pulled from pocket vs picked up on table).  It's just off (I think of reboot as meaning it comes back on on it's own).  It never turns off when I'm using it.  I just find it off.  Sometimes it's once every couple of days, sometimes it's once a day.

I do think it is often when I pull it from my pocket (but need to start paying attention to make sure), but if the power button were getting squeezed for a prolonged period, I would expect it to reboot, not be off.  unless the power menu comes up and the power off button gets pressed.  That's possible, but I wouldn't expect that to happen often.

I'm on lineage, so I might need to test it on stock even though I don't know why it would be a Lineage thing.  It will probably have to annoy me a whole lot more than it does now to get me to do that.  😄

5 hours ago, Hook said:

I'm having something curious happening, but I'm not sure that it's the same a being described here.  Every so often, I just find my Pro1 off  This is recent and I need to collect better data on when it happens (pulled from pocket vs picked up on table).  It's just off (I think of reboot as meaning it comes back on on it's own).  It never turns off when I'm using it.  I just find it off.  Sometimes it's once every couple of days, sometimes it's once a day.

I do think it is often when I pull it from my pocket (but need to start paying attention to make sure), but if the power button were getting squeezed for a prolonged period, I would expect it to reboot, not be off.  unless the power menu comes up and the power off button gets pressed.  That's possible, but I wouldn't expect that to happen often.

I'm on lineage, so I might need to test it on stock even though I don't know why it would be a Lineage thing.  It will probably have to annoy me a whole lot more than it does now to get me to do that.  😄

How odd. A GUESS could be that an 'overheat' condition could turn it off? So if some temperature sensor is faulty, that might cause this behaviour. If that is the case, I'm sure it will log it somewhere before turning the device off. I Guess @tdm might help in telling where to look for the logs on Lineage?

Anyway, I have noticed some weeks ago that when I restart my phone and instantly try to use it, it will turn off.

I receive a popup maybe about something is not responding, the lock screen will not come back and sometimes not Hacker's virtual keyboard appears but another installed one.
Maybe within a minute, the screen becomes blank and I should press power button to turn it on.

If I leave the phone alone for a few minutes, it starts up normally and it works well.

I am a bit unsure about device states and actual behaviour, but I think startup takes a little bit longer than expected and a missing service may cause crash or restart (not sure but I had a blank screen as a result).

It can be reproduced and I think a fresh install or maybe removing some apps would fix it.

When it first appeared, I thought my phone is getting faulty and I have tried removing SIM card and SD card, removing the last one seemed to help.
However, it is stable when I wait a bit after restart.

So I think there is a mechanism which may turn the phone off...

1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

How odd. A GUESS could be that an 'overheat' condition could turn it off? So if some temperature sensor is faulty, that might cause this behaviour. If that is the case, I'm sure it will log it somewhere before turning the device off. I Guess @tdm might help in telling where to look for the logs on Lineage?

All Qualcomm phones have thermal protection built-in.  I have never heard of a faulty thermal sensor, but I guess it is possible.  The thermal daemon does copious logging to logcat, so it would be easy to see that.

The most common reboot reasons for a production Qualcomm device are a cell modem fault and a kernel panic.  The cell modem is completely closed source and cannot be touched, so if that is faulty, the OEM needs to fix it.  Kernel panics are possible to fix, in theory, but first the issue needs to be identified with a kernel log.  That can be tricky -- the best way is to do the adb method that I mentioned somewhere a few days ago.  Connect the device to a PC and run "adb shell cat /proc/kmsg" and then reproduce the problem.  The kernel will hopefully log the panic message before reboot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Hook said:

but if the power button were getting squeezed for a prolonged period, I would expect it to reboot, not be off

I don't know the Pro1's behavior and don't have one right now to check, but in my experience, a really long power button hold tends to do a hard shutdown on many devices, so that doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me. Easy to check for yourself though.

2 hours ago, elvissteinjr said:

I don't know the Pro1's behavior and don't have one right now to check, but in my experience, a really long power button hold tends to do a hard shutdown on many devices, so that doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me. Easy to check for yourself though.

Any android I have ever had, including the Pro1, starts back up again when it is forced to shut down by holding the power button for a long period.  It is particularly good for an android device that is being  bit glitchy, like a bettery pull used to be, back when you could pull batteries.

• Thanks 1
On 6/8/2020 at 2:04 AM, EskeRahn said:

These are really strange issues. But I have a strong suspicion that it is related to one or more specific bands. I have no idea if it is switching from that band to a weak signal or it is switching to that band with a weak signal.

I mean if it was just a weak signal in general, then more people would have it frequently. Say when ever we go to a basement, or a a parking cellar or tunnel without repeaters.

I have a friend living in a rural area with very weak signals for my provider, only able to use my phones in some rooms and preferable near the windows at one end, and seldom 4G, just 3G. This goes for the Pro1 too, but it never caused a reboot by the Pro1 visiting her. So it is not ALL weak signals that trigger the issue.

I agree. Even in my case, the network is never that bad. I mean, that just based to my experience, the reboots don't happen when the network drops completely off, but when it switches temporarily from lte to 3g or from wlan to mobile data. I know that if the issue was really be that simple, every Pro1 owner would suffer accidental reboots all the time. So it has to be something more complicated.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, tdm said:

The most common reboot reasons....

Well @Hook is not experiencing reboots but shutdowns where it stays 'Off' until he turns it back On manually.That is why my guess was overheat protection. And unless the phone really is overheating (And he did not report that) that led me to guess at a sensor issue. Hence I was looking for where such an event might be logged.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, VaZso said:

Anyway, I have noticed some weeks ago that when I restart my phone and instantly try to use it, it will turn off.

That is interesting! Does this happen if you restart it manually too, or only on spontaneous reboots?

I haven't experienced this, and just tried to provoke it a few times without any luck (Lineage and stock)

BUT have very often experienced that just after a restart it can be hard to actually enter the password, the password entering going out of focus pressing Enter I guess. But never had any odd side-effects of it, I just have to tap on the password field and press Enter again. (I see this on stock only, not on Lineage)

EDIT: Sorry, that bug is also there if I wait several minutes after the boot... Just thought it was me being impatient.

3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

That is interesting! Does this happen if you restart it manually too, or only on spontaneous reboots?

I haven't experienced this, and just tried to provoke it a few times without any luck (Lineage and stock)

It happens on every reboots.
I usually don't restart my phone only sometimes because the system complains time to time about fingerprint sensor hardware becomes unreachable.

However, I have first experienced it when the phone was running at low battery, but drained before I could charge it.
When I powered it on, I experienced this behaviour, so I thought I need to charge the battery, then to remove the SIM and SD card, etc.
When I could start it, it worked well... then after my next restart, it happened again and I had to wait it to start before I could use it.
I tried some reboots, but now I rather wait a bit as I don't want to break the OS.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Well @Hook is not experiencing reboots but shutdowns where it stays 'Off' until he turns it back On manually.That is why my guess was overheat protection. And unless the phone really is overheating (And he did not report that) that led me to guess at a sensor issue. Hence I was looking for where such an event might be logged.

Well, depending on the device configuration, a reboot may put the device into "ramdump" mode. This is a variation of EDL mode and can easily be mistaken for being off.

• Thanks 1
On 6/8/2020 at 10:06 AM, Hook said:

Okay, this may have just hit the too annoying stage.  It just did it again, third day in a row.  But I learned something new this time because it did it while I was using it.  The phone isn't turning off.  The first thing that happened was the screen froze (wouldn't respond).  Then the screen turned off.  Clicking the power button did nothing.  But plugging in a USB cable got me the musical note that told me it connected to my computer and the green light came on showing it was charging.  So it seems that it's the case that the screen is turning off and refusing to come on so the only thing I can do is reboot with the power button (I probably could issue an adb command from my computer as well, but didn't try that.

I do not remember this happening with stock, but I doubt it has anything to do with Lineage.  My question is what is going wrong here.  A loose ribbon cable-- I'd expect it to be more common.  A faulty sensor, maybe the one the clacks out the phony when you make a phone call.

Sadly, I think I need to return to stock to see whether it is happening there or not-- I expect it will, but I need to test. If it happens on stock,

Then I will be faced with a harder question-- will I need to send it for repair.  😞  Contemplating that may cause me to try to live with it.  😄

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

Okay, this may have just hit the too annoying stage.  It just did it again, third day in a row.  But I learned something new this time because it did it while I was using it.  The phone isn't turning off.  The first thing that happened was the screen froze (wouldn't respond).  Then the screen turned off.  Clicking the power button did nothing.  But plugging in a USB cable got me the musical note that told me it connected to my computer and the green light came on showing it was charging.  So it seems that it's the case that the screen is turning off and refusing to come on so the only thing I can do is reboot with the power button (I probably could issue an adb command from my computer as well, but didn't try that.

I do not remember this happening with stock, but I doubt it has anything to do with Lineage.  My question is what is going wrong here.  A loose ribbon cable-- I'd expect it to be more common.  A faulty sensor, maybe the one the clacks out the phony when you make a phone call.

Sadly, I think I need to return to stock to see whether it is happening there or not-- I expect it will, but I need to test. If it happens on stock,

Then I will be faced with a harder question-- will I need to send it for repair.  😞  Contemplating that may cause me to try to live with it.  😄

I have not completely backed out the double-tap-to-wake (dt2w) changes from stock.  That could be what you are seeing.  I'll try to get that done for the next build.

• Thanks 4
On 6/1/2020 at 12:33 PM, Jordi said:

For doing so, I decided to root the device, this seemed easier and quicker to do than installing LineageOS. I followed the appropriate thread in the forum but I was not able to achieve this until I understand my bootloader was locked.

So I unlocked it but I was not aware that the phone would perform a fresh install ... now, I know!

I installed Magisk, I set Super User access for apps and adb. I hide / unhide Magisk to see if one is working.

I tried some apps which need root and they are working well.

But I still have :

root@Jordi-Dell:/home/jordi# sudo adb start-server
root@Jordi-Dell:/home/jordi# adb shell cat /dev/kmsg
cat: /dev/kmsg: Permission denied
root@Jordi-Dell:/home/jordi#

Any idea?

Finally, I decided to install LineageOS and I'm now able to run the appropriate commands. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the bug! So its seems Stock and LineageOS behave differently regarding wifi.

On 6/8/2020 at 4:06 PM, Hook said:

I had something similar since I installed LineageOS end of last week : for the second time this week, the screen remains black when I arrived at work. The led blinked as I had received a message, that’s why I know the phone was on. The phone was cold, so it had not over heated. Several short presses on the power button or masking the proximity sensor had no effect. The led finally stopped blinking. I connected the phone to the computer but the phone did not show up, so it must have finally shut off.

I had to press the power button for a long time (around 15 seconds) to boot it.

42 minutes ago, Jordi said:

I had something similar since I installed LineageOS end of last week : for the second time this week, the screen remains black when I arrived at work. The led blinked as I had received a message, that’s why I know the phone was on. The phone was cold, so it had not over heated. Several short presses on the power button or masking the proximity sensor had no effect. The led finally stopped blinking. I connected the phone to the computer but the phone did not show up, so it must have finally shut off.

I had to press the power button for a long time (around 15 seconds) to boot it.

AH! That sounds like the old known bug, that the display and touchpanel is inactive. I have seen it a few times on Lineage - though more seldom that I did on stock, before it was patched, If you open the device, you will see that e.g. Caps is reacting, if this is the bug.
When I had it I held Power 1-2 secs, pressed Tab Trice and Enter (To open the power menu, and goto "Restart").

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

AH! That sounds like the old known bug, that the display and touchpanel is inactive. I have seen it a few times on Lineage - though more seldom that I did on stock, before it was patched, If you open the device, you will see that e.g. Caps is reacting, if this is the bug.
When I had it I held Power 1-2 secs, pressed Tab Trice and Enter (To open the power menu, and goto "Restart").

I'm not sure if it's related as my phone was finally switch off (when connected to the computer, the content did not show up) but I will try this next time.

On 6/12/2020 at 4:39 AM, EskeRahn said:

It just happened to me again.  I could not get this solution to work.  I noticed there was no feedback from holding the power button (there's usually a very light kick from the button when the menu pops up) so I'm not sure I ever got the restart menu.  I will try again the next time it happens.  I have confirmed that that combination of Tabs and Enter should work if the menu comes up.

• Thanks 1

This also happened to me right now, so it's the forth time I experienced this since I installed LineageOS, about 10 days ago. This only proof that the phone is not completely dead is that the keyboard stay lit. Despite several attempts, I was not able to restart the phone with the above mentioned trick.

For me, the bug always kick in when I pick up the phone: it's freezes, the screen turns off, there is no more sound, vibration or led.

Apart from this, I did not have the wifi bug anymore since I installed LineageOS.

• Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Jordi said:

This only proof that the phone is not completely dead is that the keyboard stay lit.

Did you check if Caps still goes on/off?. I mean if it does not we know that it is frozen. (If it works we are not any wiser, unless someone can tell us at what level the LED is handled)

11 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Did you check if Caps still goes on/off?. I mean if it does not we know that it is frozen. (If it works we are not any wiser, unless someone can tell us at what level the LED is handled)

No, I hadn't thought of that. I'll do it next time, for the good of mankind our community!

• Haha 1
On 6/17/2020 at 9:02 AM, EskeRahn said:

I haven't had this issue for a while, but IIRC the Caps led didn't work. 

• Thanks 1