Serious performance issues

Hello everyone! 

Today I tried to run some emulators, especially Dolphin (wii/gamecube one). The main issue is the speed of emulation - I have Samsung phone with theorethically SAME SoC and in all cases when on Samsung game runs at full speed and also in much higher resolution than original game, then on Pro1 game struggles to keep 25-50% of speed on original game resolution. I don't even mention sound issues, that is audio bug. 

So what the hell is wrong with that phone?? 

Both phones are not rooted. 

EDIT: I changed topic name to something less offending. 

Edited by 3zet
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EDIT: The cause of the problem has been found: Original post:  monitored couple game sessions with KFMark and noticed that Pro1 has indeed some issues with gaming performance. The phone can

It's definitely the Snapdragon 835 CPU. The sound issue is a bug with the system forcing a power saving rule as investigated below. This is at the top of our list for the coming update/s.  

CPU Throttling Test and GFXBench (use Manhattan Battery Test for long term test) are good apps for thermal test. I will post my results shortly.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, 3zet said:

Hello everyone! 

Today I tried to run some emulators, especially Dolphin (wii/gamecube one). The main issue is the speed of emulation - I have Samsung phone with theorethically SAME SoC and in all cases when on Samsung game runs at full speed and also in much higher resolution than original game, then on Pro1 game struggles to keep 25-50% of speed on original game resolution. I don't even mention sound issues, that is audio bug. 

So what the hell is wrong with that phone?? 

Both phones are not rooted. 

It has been reported before, I think by an independent reviewer, that the phone is slower than another phone with the same cpu.  The theory was that some sort of code optimization was done for android with the other phone and not with the pro1. 

As a test, you could try the LineageOS firmware and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for reporting.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, david said:

As a test, you could try the LineageOS firmware and see if that makes any difference.

I don't want to reinstall everything from scratch but if there will be no option I will do it next weekend. 

• Like 2

Different tools reports slightly different.

They say MSM8998 835, but the max frequency is reported at 2.46GHz by CPU- and as 1.9GHz by "Device Info" (Quixon).

(ADD: they report the same on Lineage and on Stock Pie)

It really is an SD835 though. Could be due to different software optimizations on the Samsung, or maybe a bug is slowing things down (the audio being a prime suspect here).

8 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Different tools reports slightly different.

They say MSM8998 835, but the max frequency is reported at 2.46GHz by CPU- and as 1.9GHz by "Device Info" (Quixon).

(ADD: they report the same on Lineage and on Stock Pie)

Both tools are right, sorta. The 835 has 4 "performance" cores running at at 2.45GHz and another 4 "efficiency" cores running at 1.9GHz.

• Like 2

I haven't noticed any performance issues with my Pro1 in daily life. Also, when I ran some benchmarks Pro1 was performing like it should.

spacer.png

For reference OnePlus 5T (Snapdragon 835) got these results according to PhonesData

GeekBench 5 Single Core    383
GeekBench 5 Multi-Core    1655

Antutu 8 score    263919

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, 3zet said:

I ran antutu benchmark on both phones, Samsung had 251k points, Pro1 255k. I don't know what I should think about it. 

Samsung phones have an option to scale down screen resolution. Have you enabled that option (like 720p instead of 1080p)?

Edited by FlyingAntero
8 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

Have you enabled that option (like 720p instead of 1080p)?

Nope, native 1080p. 

I think emulator is struggling because of audio issues/bug. I will try to find version of dolphin which will allow to not emulate sound. 

Edited by 3zet
  • Thanks 1

You said the Pro1 was being run at a lower resolution.  What does it do when run at the same resolution?

Is there an option to turn off the sound, other than through the volume buttons of the phone?

21 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

Not something daft and the efficiency cores aren't turning on 😄

I am not sure how to read this.  Are you saying that not all the cores are being used on the Pro1?

There are a variety of things that can hamper performance. You just need to go through them and find the one causing problems. The most obvious is the CPU cores: they can be disabled or thermal throttled for starters. Then there is performance stalls like for example audio or video timing out due to some problem.

So unfortunately there isn't an easy answer. 😞

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

What games were you running? I don't have my Pro1 with me right now but I had briefly tried Melee and Mario 64 (VC Wad, because I can) before and the performance was alright (didn't fiddle with anything beyond controls, so that was original resolution I think). Dunno what a Samsung can do, but it was faster than my Moto Z with a 820 and certainly more than 25% - 50%.
Well sure, my selection of games is very far from ideal for this discussion, but still. It shouldn't be that bad in comparison though. But do note there are still worlds between emulating Melee and something like Mario Galaxy 2 (this one's not fullspeed on a GPD Win 2 with fan cooling), so knowing what games you're trying could be helpful.

15 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

I mean it's not switching to the big cores see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE.  But I realised this is probably the GPU

Thanks for that.  If I knew they could not all be active concurrently, I forgot that.  But even if it can't use them all at the same time, why are you saying it will never use the fast cores?  If it is in the Wikipedia entry, I didn't find it, but I didn't read every section.

24 minutes ago, david said:

You said the Pro1 was being run at a lower resolution.

Nope, I said Pro1 can't emulate even original Wii resolution (640x325??) When Samsung doing 720p like a charm. 

10 minutes ago, elvissteinjr said:

What games were you running?

Very good question. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, Trackmania Wii. Every single game should work fine on 835, as there is even videos on youtube with Samsung S8+ And LG OnePlus 5T which emulating everything fluently. So why Pro1 didn't? 

1 minute ago, 3zet said:

Nope, I said Pro1 can't emulate even original Wii resolution (640x325??) When Samsung doing 720p like a charm. 

I am just trying to understand what state the Pro1 is in vs the Samsung.  Are you saying the app won't even give you the option to use 640x325, 720p, or 1080p?  What options does it give?

12 minutes ago, david said:

I am just trying to understand what state the Pro1 is in vs the Samsung.  Are you saying the app won't even give you the option to use 640x325, 720p, or 1080p?  What options does it give?

No, emulator gives all render resolutions to choose. The problem is Pro1 can't keep up even on lowest one when Samsung runs 60fps even higher ones. 

I installed version which allows to turn off sound emulation but when I'm trying to load any game without sound, emulator crashes. 

Edited by 3zet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It could be anything, from Android kernel being compiled with different optimisation to graphics drivers. I'm pretty sure Samsung engineers invested a lot more than FxTec and patterns ever will in optimizing Android for that SoC.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Slion said:

It could be anything, from Android kernel being compiled with different optimisation to graphics drivers. I'm pretty sure Samsung engineers invested a lot more than FxTec and patterns ever will in optimizing Android for that SoC.

Yup. As I usually say: Every £1M spent on a device selling 1M pieces is just £1 each, but for a device selling 10K it would be £100 each... And this goes for development and optimising just the same...

And this is also why we should not expect massive ad campaigns at e.g. super bowl... So everybody should spread the word to everybody they think might be just a little bit interested, or might know one that is... The best chance of this being a success is if the info on it spreads viral.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Every £1M spent on a device selling 1M pieces is just £1 each, but for a device selling 10K it would be £100 each... And this goes for development and optimising just the same...

Even if, company advertised phone with SoC which cannot be utilised in 100% when you compare it to other companies. That's kinda silly I think. 

1 hour ago, Slion said:

Android kernel being compiled with different optimisation to graphics drivers

That's most likely the issue. Honestly, someone from company should investigate this, because the fact We can't use full potential even quite old SoC just sucks. 

Are you sure the settings are exactly the same on both devices? Not like, the Pro1 set to OpenGLES 3 while the Samsung is set to Vulkan?
What Samsung phone are we even talking about? I know you said it should be the same SoC... but still, which Samsung model?

I kinda wish my phone was here so I could provide my own numbers. Guess that'll have to wait.