New OTA update, stamped 2020-03-06 [UPDATED]

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are very sorry for the issues caused.    After some investigation we have found the reason, it was due to the upgrade of security patch to October which needs to be approved from the auth

UPDATED: Hi everyone, there is a new OTA update stamped 2020-03-06, offered. This REPLACES the OTA stamped 2020-03-04, that proved to have an error with Safetynet.   IF you already

THE OTA have been Temporarily suspended, as it had a bug  breaking the "SafetyNet", fix should be on it's way quickly.

Posted Images

On 3/5/2020 at 6:51 AM, EskeRahn said:

Hi everyone, @Waxberry has shared a little sneak view of some expected to be in the next OTA

• Fixed keyboard two keys cannot press together
  • Fixed left and right speaker swapped sound channel

EDIT: Now available as OTA update

EDIT2: Temporarily suspended, as it had a bug  breaking the "SafetyNet", fix should be on it's way quickly.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iEpVyR5RbOgkbv22Q8ILJcIHDf6241G9

GUIDE for the impatient ones:

Fetch file on(/to) phone

Settings, System, Advanced, System updates, Settings, SD Card update

Point to zip update-20200304204235-20200106110451.zip

Follow screen instructions.

NOTE that there is a slight display-issue in the updater, after it starts installing a user selected zip it seems that nothing is happening at all, but pressing back once, will bring you to an image with a progress bar. If you do not do that, and just waits, it will install just as fine.

I have the software update labeled:

QX1000_EEA_20200304204235_2000304-2044

I am NOT rooted, yet my Google Pay no longer works for contact-less payments, which I use all the time...

Attached is what I received today on my phone.

Screenshot_20200306.png

• Sad 2
27 minutes ago, NukaNegan said:

I am NOT rooted, yet my Google Pay no longer works for contact-less payments, which I use all the time...

See the text written in red in what you quoted. 😥

2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

See the text written in red in what you quoted. 😥

I take it that SafetyNet causes this? I don't know what SafetyNet is. Is that what Google uses to check for root and then punishes those who do, or think they do?

6 minutes ago, NukaNegan said:

I take it that SafetyNet causes this? I don't know what SafetyNet is. Is that what Google uses to check for root and then punishes those who do, or think they do?

Well sort of. Root ALSO breaks SafetyNet, but it requires more than just not rooted to pass. (yes yes, I am aware that rooted there are tricks to get SafetyNet happy)

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, lzb said:

Actually, I am wondering about this. I got the update OTA, and it broke Google Pay. When the new one is pushed, will it be identified as new in the Software Update system? Or will I need to download it manually as a ZIP and apply it myself?

It seems like there are different ways for them to do it:

1)  Provide another incremental update that will fix 20200304, and re-release the 20200304 and new update.  This would mean people who did not take 20200304 would need to do 2 OTA updates.

2)  Provide a full update, not an incremental.  Everyone can apply this regardless of what they currently have on their phones.

3)  They provide a new update that is only for people who have 20200106.  Those people would get the keyboard fixes and not have SafetyNet issues.  The people who have 20200304 would need to wait for the next OTA, which would need to be a full update.

4)  1 or 3 with one of the updates being provided as a file download instead of an OTA update.  That seems like it would create confusion for those who don't read the forums, but it is still possible, even if not optimal.

You would only be notified if your previous version matches what an incremental OTA is meant to go on top of or if it is a full update.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

Yes, I got my device in January and I believe that it was locked when I received it. I haven't seen bootloader unlocked notification during boot.

Just wanted to point out, I think there IS a bootloader lock status indicator at boot, but it's subtle.  When I boot, at the bottom of the lockscreen (after all the logos) is a small (really small) padlock.  On mine, which has been unlocked since I received it as it came that way, it shows the lock open (A tiny space between the left side of the bar and the lock).  I can't say I know having never been locked, but I would assume that if you are locked, the loop is closed.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Hook said:

Just wanted to point out, I think there IS a bootloader lock status indicator at boot, but it's subtle.  When I boot, at the bottom of the lockscreen (after all the logos) is a small (really small) padlock.  On mine, which has been unlocked since I received it as it came that way, it shows the lock open (A tiny space between the left side of the bar and the lock).  I can't say I know having never been locked, but I would assume that if you are locked, the loop is closed.

I believe that might be the lock screen lock.  If you have it set to swipe, then it shows unlocked and if you have it set to a pattern, pin, etc., you get a locked lock.

That is the only lock I have when I boot.

4 minutes ago, david said:

I believe that might be the lock screen lock.  If you have it set to swipe, then it shows unlocked and if you have it set to a pattern, pin, etc., you get a locked lock.

That is the only lock I have when I boot.

Ah, okay.  Must be it... I'm set to swipe.  I thought it might be bootloader because I think one of my Nexus phones used a lock icon for the bootloader, but it showed before the lock screen.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Hook said:

Ah, okay.  Must be it... I'm set to swipe.  I thought it might be bootloader because I think one of my Nexus phones used a lock icon for the bootloader, but it showed before the lock screen.

Seems to be how Nexus phones work (second answer):

https://support.google.com/nexus/forum/AAAANseOu18wlLDZeHVZFU/?hl=iw

spacer.png

• Like 1

Funnily enough I noticed today that icon changes to the method used to unlock briefly before going into the main screen shows a keypad / face / fingerprint (presume there is more). 

I was wondering why since the update my phone was always unlocked :S  turned out I configured face unlock when I set it up and forgot about it! old age for you lol.  Also shows a fingerprint when using that 😉 

This also means there was probably a bug in face unlock possibly.

Edited by _DW_
  • Like 1

So I've finally tried to manually install ota with my "modified" /system partition and it turns out to be impossible... :(

Eventually I can live with that but I would like to try new keyboard drivers, can someone extract them for me?

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Laska said:

So I've finally tried to manually install ota with my "modified" /system partition and it turns out to be impossible... 😞

Eventually I can live with that but I would like to try new keyboard drivers, can someone extract them for me?

There is a chance, if the next OTA is a full update instead of an incremental, that it will let you.  I don't know if they still check for changes or if they figure since everything will be overwritten, that it doesn't  matter.

We are very sorry for the issues caused. 

After some investigation we have found the reason, it was due to the upgrade of security patch to October which needs to be approved from the authority before it was released, which caused CTS to fail.

Also there is no way to downgrade security patch via OTA (the user data will be wiped if doing this way.)

Therefore the current workaround / work is:

- We are acquiring the latest security patch (Feb 2020) and will submit for approval before the next OTA. Therefore once the next OTA with latest security patch applied, and approved, it should automatically solve the issue. However due to the impact of COVID-19 people are still not fully back to work in China, it might take longer than expected. 

- If your service is affected, such as the limit of Google Pay etc, there will be a fastboot image uploaded (dated 20200306) with security patch back to September 2019 with the latest keyboard fix. You need to back up all your personal data and perform a fastboot flash and set up the device again.

In the future, both 0304 (CTS issue) and 0306 will be updated with the latest security patch together.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience (was too excited to share the keyboard fix) and will do our best to get it solved ASAP. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 17
3 hours ago, Waxberry said:

We are very sorry for the issues caused. 

After some investigation we have found the reason, it was due to the upgrade of security patch to October which needs to be approved from the authority before it was released, which caused CTS to fail.

Also there is no way to downgrade security patch via OTA (the user data will be wiped if doing this way.)

Therefore the current workaround / work is:

- We are acquiring the latest security patch (Feb 2020) and will submit for approval before the next OTA. Therefore once the next OTA with latest security patch applied, and approved, it should automatically solve the issue. However due to the impact of COVID-19 people are still not fully back to work in China, it might take longer than expected. 

- If your service is affected, such as the limit of Google Pay etc, there will be a fastboot image uploaded (dated 20200306) with security patch back to September 2019 with the latest keyboard fix. You need to back up all your personal data and perform a fastboot flash and set up the device again.

In the future, both 0304 (CTS issue) and 0306 will be updated with the latest security patch together.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience (was too excited to share the keyboard fix) and will do our best to get it solved ASAP. 

Sorry to bother you.

Please be so kind and share information: is there any way to manualy instal keyboard fix? I've modified my /system partition and so now can't install OTA. I can live with it very well and I don't care about gapps (honestly, I've removed them all), safetynet or even security updates but I would love get this keyboard fix.

Thank you for your time.

4 minutes ago, Laska said:

Sorry to bother you.

Please be so kind and share information: is there any way to manualy instal keyboard fix? I've modified my /system partition and so now can't install OTA. I can live with it very well and I don't care about gapps (honestly, I've removed them all), safetynet or even security updates but I would love get this keyboard fix.

Thank you for your time.

Hi if you are running modified OS it should be possible to patch directly. I think @tdm and @netmanmight know more about this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Laska said:

Sorry to bother you.

Thank you for your time.

The keyboard fix is in the kernel (at least the parts you likely want -- I don't know yet what else they have changed).  So you need to update your kernel.  I doubt much has changed in the ramdisk, if anything, so you can probably use the boot image directly from the update.  The only caveat is that is the kernel modules (including wifi driver) are located in /vendor and may not load with the newer kernel.  So you may need to update those also.  And that would further prevent you from taking any OTA updates.

I don't have an updated boot image or kernel modules handy, as I haven't installed this update.  Perhaps someone else can provide them?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 3/5/2020 at 9:59 PM, david said:

So now if we can get @rkjnsn to check their bootloader screen to see if secure boot states yes or no, that might help narrow it down.  We might all have secure boot "no" no matter what, but if their's has "yes", then that could be the difference here.

As an update, my phone has started failing SafetyNet and Netflix no longer shows up in the play store. There must have been a delay between when I installed the update and when Google services noticed the CTS mismatch. (The delay was at least a day, because everything was also working fine on Friday. I haven't checked again until today.)

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, cfeltych said:

My phone just popped up an OTA notification for a new version, QX1000_EEA_20200306124530_20200306-1247.  Has anyone installed it already?

Thanks.

Interesting. I'm not offered that one. Could be that it is an alternative to the suspended one - does it say what it contains? Is it the same list as in the screenshot @FlyingAntero shared earlier here?

ADD: I installed the 20200304 stamped patch, manually.

3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Interesting. I'm not offered that one. Could be that it is an alternative to the suspended one - does it say what it contains? Is it the same list as in the screenshot @FlyingAntero shared earlier here?

Also, had you previously installed the 20200304 update?  Not being offered anything here and that could be a difference.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, cfeltych said:

Here's the information, I did not install the 20200304 update nor did it ever appear as available on my phone that I noticed.

Thanks,

Just got confirmed from @Waxberry that the 20200306 is indeed a variant back on September security level, that IS in compliance with CTS / Safetynet

(Those of us that updated to 20200304 will have to wait for a later common update - it is finished but awaits to be certified, hopefully in the coming week)

• Thanks 4

I just tried installing it and got FAIL Reason 20.  I followed the procedure in the Magisk thread.  I have modified /system so that's probably it.  Since it wasn't a full image I figured it was worth a try.

I'm not sure yet whether I want to flash back to box-stock, apply all the OTA's, and then re-root, or just wait for Lineage to mature with a decent recovery.

• Like 1