More notifications since 20200620 update

Hi. Since installing the 20200620 update, I've noticed a Wireless Update notification (a plain circle) often popping up for a few seconds then disappearing. It seems to appear pretty much each time the Pro1 gets internet access - i.e. turning off and turning on Wi-Fi can trigger it. I've never had this behaviour in all previous updates. Wireless Update is set to check Daily.

Has anyone else seen this too? Is it likely to be draining my battery unnecessarily? Any ideas how to stop this?

EDIT: Not just Wireless Update.

Edited by John Veness
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7
5 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Had the same. Went into apps,, Ellipsis, Show system and then simply stopped the two "Wireless update"

Could you please tell me more about this "Ellipsis"?
I have also noticed this sign...

6 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Could you please tell me more about this "Ellipsis"?
I have also noticed this sign...

it is the three dots usually top left. … Sometime used vertically and not horizontally.

14 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Is it part of the stock launcher?

The Ellipsis are used all over on both Stock Android and and LineeageOS.
In this context I was referring to to Settings ► Apps & Notifications ► See all ## apps ► Ellipsis ► Show System.

I must admit that I find it quite unclear when they use Ellipses and when they Use Three bars. Some apps uses both...

• Thanks 2

It's annoying cos it looks like a messaging app notification, and often appears when I check my phone to see, for example, if I have a message!

I notice that it still appears if I set it to check for updates weekly or monthly. Also, the option to untick these notifications in Settings, Apps, etc. is greyed-out.

I guess I could Force Stop the app, but would have to do so every time I rebooted, which would be a pain. The option to Disable the app is also greyed out 😞

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

The Ellipsis are used all over on both Stock Android and and LineeageOS.
In this context I was referring to to Settings ► Apps & Notifications ► See all ## apps ► Ellipsis ► Show System.

I must admit that I find it quite unclear when they use Ellipses and when they Use Three bars. Some apps uses both...

Thank you, now I think I have found it.

...however, "thankfully" they have translated it and I have two "Vezeték nélküli frissítés" apps. One with blue background and an Android-like logo and another one which have an arrow facing down... it would be good to know what it is as it looks strange anyway.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, MickH said:

Thought I'd have a quick go at turning off Wi-Fi and sure enough it pops up.

It actually popped up a few times within 5secs.

I just HATE apps like that, that think their functionality is the most important thing in the world, and the main reason you got the device, and thus need to be running all the time....

For me it would be FINE if it checked for update at boot. and when I manually triggered it, and then STOPPED the app when finished!

We see the same pest on PC's All kind of 'updaters' running in the background or as a service you need to manually kill.
It is so annoying when e.g. Adobe Acrobat updater pops up on the PC and tell you a new version is available when you are in the middle of something else, not even having their program open.... It is -ever so slightly- different with these updates, as it is security related, but we do not need to check all the time wasting battery and bandwidth...

Actually it would be nice with a special push protocol for all kind of updates, so a vendor could send an update message to the device, and the system then had an update-broker listening and starting the relevant updater, that then could open, take action, and be stopped when finished.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ignoring the part how this shouldn't be happening in the first place, I suppose it should be possible to adb uninstall adups ("uninstalls" for the user account, easily reversible), keep an eye open in the community for update releases and only then get it back running to do the update. That's the best I can come up with if everything else fails and you still want stock.

I can't get to the Wireless Updates Settings, for some reason. I'm just getting a white screen and the phone hangs, then a message saying "Wireless Updates is not Responding."

Might be because I force stopped the 2 update services.

1 hour ago, MickH said:

I can't get to the Wireless Updates Settings, for some reason. I'm just getting a white screen and the phone hangs, then a message saying "Wireless Updates is not Responding."

You need to delete the stored files in the app details 😞

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, elvissteinjr said:

Ignoring the part how this shouldn't be happening in the first place, I suppose it should be possible to adb uninstall adups ("uninstalls" for the user account, easily reversible), keep an eye open in the community for update releases and only then get it back running to do the update. That's the best I can come up with if everything else fails and you still want stock.

You could just call it with disable rather than uninstall

4 hours ago, MickH said:

Same here but I haven't stopped any update services and it still hangs there. They f'd up something big with this update xD. More bugs is just what we needed... Honestly I adore the hardware too but the software has been problematic from day 1 I got it. I didn't think I'd game much on mobile but I ended up gaming on it due to pretty decent performance but the audio crackling drives me nuts, even on low volume.

I understand security is important but they can't even keep up to date with those updates (So they are kinda pointless anyway), at least focus on fixing bugs affecting user experience that don't need certification...

Edited by Tsunero
On 6/26/2020 at 12:06 AM, ToniCipriani said:

I've had this for the first day or two after installing but I haven't noticed it lately.

I'll maintain what I said, they really need to get rid of this Adups junk.

That would mean no OTA anymore.

I've noticed that wireless update notification too but so far it does not bother me so much.