PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion

First, thank you for volunteering to contribute.  I've been working my figurative butt off for months and I'm getting tired, to be honest.  Which is why Nolen is doing Lineage 17.1.  More inline...

14 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

1. Add a possibility to turn off autocapitalization

Check the keyboard files.  This is probably in the KCM file, if it can be changed at all.  Notice the keyboard is declared type ALPHA.  If you declare it type FULL, I believe both autocapitalization and the symbol popup will go away.

2. Implement sticky fn. The idea here is to store a boolean flag `fn_sticky_pressed` and set it `aw9523b_check_keys` while checking the state of the keys

Certainly.  And add a device specific setting to toggle sticky fn, I assume.

What's the correct way of building the kernel?

Build it in a Lineage tree.  There are tons of articles and tutorials about how to build Android generally and Lineage specifically, including those on the Lineage wiki.  For just the "kernel", you want to build the target "bootimage".

While it is possible to build the kernel outside the Lineage tree, it is going to be difficult as you can see.  Not only do you have compiler versions to contend with, you also have the DT -- the Pro1 uses a so-called "DT overlay", which requires and Android tool to build.  Further, once you get the kernel built, you cannot just flash the kernel.  You must flash the boot partition, which also includes a ramdisk and a special header.

And finally, this is not really a development thread.  Perhaps we could communicate another way?  There is a Pro1 telegram group that would work.

• Like 2
  • Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pleased to announce that the Pro1 has received official support in LineageOS 16.0.   You can find the builds and installation instructions on the official LineageOS Downloads page.

Lineage recovery will offer to install from sdcard if, and only if, a physical sdcard is present and it is able to be read without any decryption (eg. it is not used as adoptable storage).  

In my opinion LineageOS 16 was a very important OS for the Pro1 that brought the best out of the device at a moment when stock couldn't (yet) . Although not a developer, I can well imagine it also bro

Posted Images

Thanks for your reply. I'll try building it within the Lineage tree.

1 minute ago, tdm said:

Certainly.  And add a device specific setting to toggle sticky fn, I assume.

You mean an entry in the settings app, so that people can toggle it without command-line tweaking?

1 minute ago, tdm said:

And finally, this is not really a development thread.  Perhaps we could communicate another way?  There is a Pro1 telegram group that would work.

I can't join the Telegram group without providing my phone number, which I'm unwilling to do.
Is there any IRC/Matrix/XMPP/... room/bridge?

1 minute ago, marmistrz said:

Thanks for your reply. I'll try building it within the Lineage tree.

You mean an entry in the settings app, so that people can toggle it without command-line tweaking?

I can't join the Telegram group without providing my phone number, which I'm unwilling to do.
Is there any IRC/Matrix/XMPP/... room/bridge?

Yes, an entry in the settings app to toggle sticky fn.  Because surely some users will want it and other users will not.

I'll try to think of a way.  But I do not know of any other Pro1 group except on telegram.  I do sympathize with you, though.  I really don't like giving my phone number for internet chat.  It is just that with all other modern privacy and security concerns, it seems a small thing in comparison.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tdm said:

I'll try to think of a way.  But I do not know of any other Pro1 group except on telegram.

There is a fxtec community discord server, with a lineageos channel and we'd love to have you 😉

https://discord.gg/4GVR7rA

There is also a bridge to discord server from riot/matrix: #pro1-lineageos:reverso.de

There is also #fxtec on freenode irc.  That's the only place I've seen los development discussion before, including mccreary in the past.

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 2

Hey. I've been playing around with the official build and noticed that the fingerprint doesn't work very well on the lock screen and sometimes works within apps that can use fingerprints (banking apps). However when rebooting device the fingerprints are no longer saved.

I looked back in the test build forums and found the post regarding removing all the files within the /persist/data/fingerprint ... this directory doesn't seem to exist in the official build.

I did a full wipe and clean install of official build and recovery.

10 minutes ago, itsdevilslettuce said:

Hey. I've been playing around with the official build and noticed that the fingerprint doesn't work very well on the lock screen and sometimes works within apps that can use fingerprints (banking apps). However when rebooting device the fingerprints are no longer saved.

I looked back in the test build forums and found the post regarding removing all the files within the /persist/data/fingerprint ... this directory doesn't seem to exist in the official build.

Hmm, thanks, I'll take a look.

Note the /persist partition is not wiped when you do a factory reset.  I have a script in Lineage that deletes /persist/data/fingerprint at boot when the Android fingerprint data does not exist (eg. after a factory reset) so that Android and the fingerprint HAL can stay reasonably in sync.  The fingerprint HAL should be re-creating that directory when you first enroll a fingerprint.

EDIT: Also note that the fingerprint HAL is entirely closed source.  The only possible changes have been in updating the vendor blobs from the 6/22 OTA and the 7/7 OTA.  But I just checked and it seems the fingerprint blobs have not changed at all.

Edited by tdm
  • Thanks 1

@tdmwe need to cherry-pick this commit to enable build of gcc 10 hosts and regenerate the "shipped" files. (dtc is built using the host compiler and upstream doesn't contain the "shipped" files)
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/e33a814e772cdc36436c8c188d8c42d019fda639

I would've done it myself, but I'm not sure how to properly cherry-pick with gerrit to preserve authorship.

Edited by marmistrz
2 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

@tdmwe need to cherry-pick this commit to enable build of gcc 10 hosts. (dtc is built using the host compiler)
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/e33a814e772cdc36436c8c188d8c42d019fda639

I don't see the point.

Once you get the DT compiled, how are you going to generate the overlay?  And then how are you going to generate the initrd and the boot image?  The only practical way, really, is to use the Lineage source tree.  So if you are already using things from the Lineage source tree, you can use the Lineage DT compiler also.  And as long as you are at it, you might as well use the Lineage cross compiler.

1 minute ago, tdm said:

I don't see the point.

Once you get the DT compiled, how are you going to generate the overlay?  And then how are you going to generate the initrd and the boot image?  The only practical way, really, is to use the Lineage source tree.  So if you are already using things from the Lineage source tree, you can use the Lineage DT compiler also.  And as long as you are at it, you might as well use the Lineage cross compiler.

Well, the point is that even while building in-tree, I won't be able to build the kernel unless I apply this patch. It looks like `make bootimage` (and in general the kernel build system) uses the host compiler at some early stage to compile dtc instead of the Lineage DT compiler. This makes sense, because the Lineage DT compiler is an arm64 cross-compiler and dtc will be run on the host and needs to be an x86 binary.

SHIPPED scripts/dtc/dtc-lexer.lex.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/dtc/dtc-lexer.lex.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/dtc/dtc

5 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

Well, the point is that even while building in-tree, I won't be able to build the kernel unless I apply this patch. It looks like `make bootimage` (and in general the kernel build system) uses the host compiler at some early stage to compile dtc instead of the Lineage DT compiler. This makes sense, because the Lineage DT compiler is an arm64 cross-compiler and dtc will be run on the host and needs to be an x86 binary.

SHIPPED scripts/dtc/dtc-lexer.lex.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/dtc/dtc-lexer.lex.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/dtc/dtc

Okay, I can see this conversation taking up several dozens of messages in this thread.  Please contact me in PM and we can find a way to chat without spamming users.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, itsdevilslettuce said:

I did the same and have no issues (of course first login doesn't work but thats supposed to happen)

• Like 2
19 hours ago, tdm said:

Hmm, thanks, I'll take a look.

Note the /persist partition is not wiped when you do a factory reset.  I have a script in Lineage that deletes /persist/data/fingerprint at boot when the Android fingerprint data does not exist (eg. after a factory reset) so that Android and the fingerprint HAL can stay reasonably in sync.  The fingerprint HAL should be re-creating that directory when you first enroll a fingerprint.

EDIT: Also note that the fingerprint HAL is entirely closed source.  The only possible changes have been in updating the vendor blobs from the 6/22 OTA and the 7/7 OTA.  But I just checked and it seems the fingerprint blobs have not changed at all.

I have the same problem as @itsdevilslettuce with test 22, which I'm still on since it's working great and I'm a little hesitant to fix something that isn't broke, given the past.  I've deleted all the fingerprints under security settings, then removed /persist/data/fingerprint.  I can re-add the fingerprints and the directory is made like it should be.  The real problem seems to be that for some reason most apps think the fingerprints have changed whenever you reboot.  They are still set correctly and work fine, it's just that for your banking apps and such, you have to set them back up to work with fingerprint again.

I'll play around some more with this tonight and see if I can figure out anything.

• Thanks 2

@tdm This problem started before the official builds here, but I've had issues the last couple of months trying to make calls.  They usually fail the first time, not always.  When this happens, I see the network Icon go "blank" (i.e. only the outline if the right angle triangle).  Also, I noticed that I'm missing calls too.

I Just kept forgetting to mention it as I don't make many calls.  However, it happened again today and I thought I'd get take a look at the Radio logs.  Seeing this repeated message over and over again:

07-23 12:52:54.500  2064  2230 D LocaleTracker: getCellInfo: cell info=null
07-23 12:52:54.500  2064  2230 D LocaleTracker: Can't get cell info. Try again in 2 secs.
07-23 12:52:54.500  2064  2230 D LocaleTracker: updateLocale: mcc = null, country =
07-23 12:52:56.508  2064  2230 D RILJ    : [8132]> RIL_REQUEST_GET_CELL_INFO_LIST [SUB1]
07-23 12:52:56.522  2064  2179 D RILJ    : [8132]< RIL_REQUEST_GET_CELL_INFO_LIST error 39 [SUB1]
07-23 12:52:56.523  2064  2179 D RilRequest: [8132]< RIL_REQUEST_GET_CELL_INFO_LIST error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: SYSTEM_ERR ret=[]
07-23 12:52:56.524  2064  2064 D SST     : [1] EVENT_GET_CELL_INFO_LIST: error ret null, e=com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: SYSTEM_ERR
07-23 12:52:56.525  2064  2230 D SST     : [1] SST.getAllCellInfo(): X size=0 list=null
07-23 12:52:56.525  2064  2230 D LocaleTracker: getCellInfo: cell info=null

Also a bunch of these:

07-23 12:56:33.349   900  1187 E RILC    : oemHookRawInd: oemHookService[0]->mOemHookIndication == NULL

I attached the entire log for review.  It starts right at the beginning of me hitting send and ends right after it fails.  Provider is AT&T.

Also, on a side note, since AT&T claims 3G is going away in Feb 2022, what do we need to do to get VoLTE working here on this guy?

failed_call.log

Edited by JooJooBee666
6 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

@tdm This problem started before the official builds here, but I've had issues the last couple of months trying to make calls.  They usually fail the first time, not always.  Just kept forgetting to mention it as I don't make many calls.  However, it happened again today and I thought I'd get take a look at the Radio logs.  Seeing this repeated message over and over again:

7-23 12:52:54.500  2064  2230 D LocaleTracker: getCellInfo: cell info=null
07-23 12:52:54.500  2064  2230 D LocaleTracker: Can't get cell info. Try again in 2 secs.
07-23 12:52:54.500  2064  2230 D LocaleTracker: updateLocale: mcc = null, country =
07-23 12:52:56.508  2064  2230 D RILJ    : [8132]> RIL_REQUEST_GET_CELL_INFO_LIST [SUB1]
07-23 12:52:56.522  2064  2179 D RILJ    : [8132]< RIL_REQUEST_GET_CELL_INFO_LIST error 39 [SUB1]
07-23 12:52:56.523  2064  2179 D RilRequest: [8132]< RIL_REQUEST_GET_CELL_INFO_LIST error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: SYSTEM_ERR ret=[]
07-23 12:52:56.524  2064  2064 D SST     : [1] EVENT_GET_CELL_INFO_LIST: error ret null, e=com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: SYSTEM_ERR
07-23 12:52:56.525  2064  2230 D SST     : [1] SST.getAllCellInfo(): X size=0 list=null
07-23 12:52:56.525  2064  2230 D LocaleTracker: getCellInfo: cell info=null

Also a bunch of these:

07-23 12:56:33.349   900  1187 E RILC    : oemHookRawInd: oemHookService[0]->mOemHookIndication == NULL

I attached the entire log for review.  It starts right at the beginning of me hitting send and ends right after it fails.  Provider is AT&T.

Thanks for the detailed info.  Unfortunately, I don't see anything specific to Lineage that could be causing your issue.  The RIL handler is closed source.  The only thing you could try is replacing your libril with one from an older build and see what happens.  But the issue might just be your provider.

6 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

Also, on a side note, since AT&T claims 3G is going away in F1b 2022, what do we need to do to get VoLTE working here on this guy?

failed_call.log 149.6 kB · 0 downloads

Nothing uses 3G anymore.  You should be fine.  But VoLTE is working on Verizon, I believe, so it will probably also work on AT&T.  Give it a shot.

56 minutes ago, tdm said:

Thanks for the detailed info.  Unfortunately, I don't see anything specific to Lineage that could be causing your issue.  The RIL handler is closed source.  The only thing you could try is replacing your libril with one from an older build and see what happens.  But the issue might just be your provider.

Nothing uses 3G anymore.  You should be fine.  But VoLTE is working on Verizon, I believe, so it will probably also work on AT&T.  Give it a shot.

I have wifi calling enabled, but I'm pretty sure it's not working.  Whenever I call out, it switches to H+ (or doesn't and fails).  If I force LTE, the call just ends immediately.  So I cannot call with LTE only, VoLTE or not.

Edited by JooJooBee666
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

I have wifi calling enabled, but I'm pretty sure it's not working.  Whenever I call out, it switches to H+ (or doesn't and fails).  If I force LTE, the call just ends immediately.  So I cannot call with LTE only, VoLTE or not.

Does AT&T VoLTE work on stock?

7 minutes ago, tdm said:

Does AT&T VoLTE work on stock?

I can't say for stock and I'm not sure how to test what my pro1 on AT&T is using for calls.  I have wifi calling enabled with wifi calling set as preferred.  It makes calls fine.  VoLTE is provisioned.  I have ATT Nextgenphone selected as my AP and preferred network set to global.  I set preferred network to LTE only and it still worked fine.  I don't know if any of that proves anything, but I'm fine on AT&T here.

1 minute ago, Hook said:

I can't say for stock and I'm not sure how to test what my pro1 on AT&T is using for calls.  I have wifi calling enabled with wifi calling set as preferred.  It makes calls fine.  VoLTE is provisioned.  I have ATT Nextgenphone selected as my AP and preferred network set to global.  I set preferred network to LTE only and it still worked fine.  I don't know if any of that proves anything, but I'm fine on AT&T here.

What do you mean by "VoLTE is provisioned?"  Sounds like maybe I missed something?

Edited by JooJooBee666
4 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

What do you mean by "VoLTE is provisioned?"  Sounds like maybe I missed something?

Again, I'm not really technical on this,  However, if you dial on the phone pad *#*#4636 #*#* and tap phone information, down at the bottom of the screen are a series of switches for provisioning of VoLTE and Wifi calling and such.  These have already been switched on in the current test  and official builds of Lineage, so you really shouldn't need to do anything.  However, I think it depends on whether your SIM has been provisioned for these things.  If you are using a very old SIM, you may need to talk to yourcarrier about replacing the SIM.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Hook said:

Again, I'm not really technical on this,  However, if you dial on the phone pad *#*#4636 #*#* and tap phone information, down at the bottom of the screen are a series of switches for provisioning of VoLTE and Wifi calling and such.  These have already been switched on in the current test  and official builds of Lineage, so you really shouldn't need to do anything.  However, I think it depends on whether your SIM has been provisioned for these things.  If you are using a very old SIM, you may need to talk to yourcarrier about replacing the SIM.

Ok, all of those options are enabled.  So I guess I'll call AT&T and get the bad news.  They are probably NOT going to enable for this thing since it isn't on their list.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

Ok, all of those options are enabled.  So I guess I'll call AT&T and get the bad news.  They are probably NOT going to enable for this thing since it isn't on their list.

If you have your last phone still and it is VoLTE capable, use that phone to get them to enable it and then transfer to the Pro1.  That's a trick used with Verizon. Might work for AT&T. On the other hand, they may not care what the phone is-- they don't for Prepay.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

If you have your last phone still and it is VoLTE capable, use that phone to get them to enable it and then transfer to the Pro1.  That's a trick used with Verizon. Might work for AT&T. On the other hand, they may not care what the phone is-- they don't for Prepay.

My last phone was an unlocked Moto Z, not purchased through them.  I'm calling them anyhow today, I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks.

..or wait, my wife's phone was purchased through them.  I wonder if I can pop my SIM in there and ask if they can enable it?

Edited by JooJooBee666
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, tdm said:

Apparently, this is an issue on stock as well according to another user, though I don't have log verification at the moment.  The symptoms described were the same. 😞  I'm going to see if I can get VoLTE working which will hopefully resolve this.

Edited by JooJooBee666
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/21/2020 at 9:15 PM, Jordi said:

For me, the interface is quite snappy. I went from LOS Test 15 to LOS Nightly and I would say there is no difference between both.

What I have noticed (on Test versions and this Nightly as well) is that sometimes, the transition between home screen pages can stutter a little bit. I tried to find the cause via terminal (top command) but no luck.

Hmm I'm not sure if the Pro1 got VoLTE or not.

Have a look at these two images from a Pro1 on Lineage (Dark) and stock (light) - same sim moved over, same place. Notice how it is greyed out in stock.

Screenshot_20200723-232827.png

Screenshot_20200723-232955_Settings.png

PS the "Preferred network type" follows the sim. Inserting another sim in Stock it says "LTE/WDCMA"

• EskeRahn changed the title to PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion