Rear/main camera focus to infinity not work on LineageOS

It took a while, actually a long while. Seems like the first package got lost, but the second arrived in a week (+1 week customs).

I was able to replace the camera and the backplate today in 1-2 hours. It was pain and not fun at all as I'm not used to so small connectors 😄. If you are careful it is possible though.

I broke my power button a bit, which is not so clicky anymore and feels so wrong 😄

It was successful though, the camera works again. So it wasn't a software issue.
The back is also as new now. And I could learn something new today.

Edited by __fastcall
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It took a while, actually a long while. Seems like the first package got lost, but the second arrived in a week (+1 week customs). I was able to replace the camera and the backplate today in 1-2

Hello, Using gelraen teardown I disassemble my Pro1. I remove dust and (thanks to @DieBruine) screw down with loctite all what I see with abnormally operating clearance. I play a little with camer

Hoping to balance the negativity in this thread, my F(x)tec Pro1 running LineageOS does not seem to have any camera issues regarding focus (see the attached sample I took today). Running LineageOS 18.

Posted Images

On 8/7/2021 at 5:41 PM, __fastcall said:

It took a while, actually a long while. Seems like the first package got lost, but the second arrived in a week (+1 week customs).

I was able to replace the camera and the backplate today in 1-2 hours. It was pain and not fun at all as I'm not used to so small connectors 😄. If you are careful it is possible though.

I broke my power button a bit, which is not so clicky anymore and feels so wrong 😄

It was successful though, the camera works again. So it wasn't a software issue.
The back is also as new now. And I could learn something new today.

Great news! I mean that the new camera module fixes the problem is great news, not the issues which came up with module replacement.. But  think I should consider that option too. I'll try to get a new module at least, let's see if some local smartphone repair company feels so adventurous that they would do that for me..

I think I managed to fix mine ... or make it less crappy ... 🙂

When I removed the protective cover, I noticed that the double sided adhesive tape overlapped with the camera cut-out. We are talking 0.5 mm here, but it might have been enough to restrict the lens from moving. On the picture, I already moved the lower part out of the way. I ended up removing the adhesive completely ...

Clipboard-1.jpg.6eba3a85d70dfe81e529c146bff29f72.jpg

Edited by daniel.schaaaf
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

I think I managed to fix mine ... or make it less crappy ... 🙂

When I removed the protective cover, I noticed that the double sided adhesive tape overlapped with the camera cut-out. We are talking 0.5 mm here, but it might have been enough to restrict the lens from moving. On the picture, I already moved the lower part out of the way. I ended up removing the adhesive completely ...

Clipboard-1.jpg.6eba3a85d70dfe81e529c146bff29f72.jpg

Did this fix your problem or isn't the phone reassembled yet?

2 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Did this fix your problem or isn't the phone reassembled yet?

I removed the camera protector with a thin steel prying tool like this one:

Ha9dc71b4e2e34a739823e1fe60299081t.jpg.d8d05e1fd517e84b6bb80c5ed44f0f99.jpg 

There's no need to disassemble the phone.

It did not quite fix my problem, but it got better. Now that the sun is out, I am unsure whether removing the adhesive tape made it better, or whether it was moving the camera a little with a tooth pick.

I attached a picture that I resized slightly. The focus was on the birch tree. The background is still out of focus. But it is better than it was before, when anything further away than 50 cm would be blurry.

I tried the manual focus in Open Camera. The trees in the background were least blurry with the focus set to 500 m. Obviously, they are not that far away (maybe 15 m?). Increasing the focus distance was impossible because the focus jumps from 500 m to infinity. I saw the trees in focus briefly somewhere in between...

IMG_20210830_112010_.jpg

2 minutes ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

I tried the manual focus in Open Camera. The trees in the background were least blurry with the focus set to 500 m. Obviously, they are not that far away (maybe 15 m?). Increasing the focus distance was impossible because the focus jumps from 500 m to infinity. I saw the trees in focus briefly somewhere in between...

I had the same behaviour while mostly having focus problems in low-light scenarios. I guess, that part of the issue is software-based, although I'm not sure if it's caused by LineageOS or the camera driver itself. I used LOS as well.

However, having the option to manually focus makes it usable at least.

• 2 months later...

Something that might be interesting:
I also had the issue with blurred images at far distances.

Fascinatingly, after updating the device from LOS 16 to 18 (Android 9 to 11), the camera works fine again. I don't know the exact version I was running at but if you're encountering the same problem maybe a software update can help...

Obviously, Android 11 brings new problems since apps aren't adapted to it yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
On 11/21/2021 at 5:02 PM, SchattengestaIt said:

I don't know the exact version I was running at but if you're encountering the same problem maybe a software update can help...

It was this one : lineage-16.0-20201026-nightly-pro1-signed.zip

All versions of lineageOS 16 I used had the same problem with the camera.

This is an excellent news, indeed!

• Thanks 1