Display units with large tap-insensitive margin

3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

This seems even cheaper:

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005002314744127.html

I have no idea of the quality of the offerings, but I would suggest to start buying say two from each and test....

Wow, it shows the usual problem these displays have.
However, as far as I see, they seem to be a bit worse than usual, maybe that is why the cheaper price - but at least the seller shows it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found an easy way to fix this from any ROM, without having to wipe userdata. tl;dr: Edit: Make backups. It shouldn't be necessary, but you never know! Flash the 2020-08-25 stock RO

Thanks for the work, people. Life got in the way here a bit. I did a bit of digging based on the rar shared in this thread by Kaali: The APK does seem to contain code to write config data to the

To all who still struggle with this issue. People in the fxtec unofficial discord have discovered that flashing ONLY the vendor.img from the stock restore thread will fix the aliex screen issues and

Posted Images

9 hours ago, silversolver said:

So I found this for 30 shekels......

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32956500815.html

I hope it's not fake for so few shekels.

I've bought two there in March 2021 and I currently have one of them in use. Except for the fact that I've managed to dameg it again recently (it's still usable so I try to keep using it until the Pro1X comes, while the USB socket is also becoming less and less reliable), and except for that little bit of excess black in the lower corners, there was nothing to complain about.

4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

This seems even cheaper:

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005002314744127.html

I have no idea of the quality of the offerings, but I would suggest to start buying say two from each and test....

I fear it becomes clear from the shown images that the screens they sell all have differently sized, but generally large circular cuts in corners which stay black in operation... much larger than the small ones we've seen so far.

1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

I've bought two there in March 2021 and I currently have one of them in use. Except for the fact that I've managed to dameg it again recently (it's still usable so I try to keep using it until the Pro1X comes, while the USB socket is also becoming less and less reliable), and except for that little bit of excess black in the lower corners, there was nothing to complain about.

I fear it becomes clear from the shown images that the screens they sell all have differently sized, but generally large circular cuts in corners which stay black in operation... much larger than the small ones we've seen so far.

Yes, this seller is selling blems. Some might be OK with that, as long as they know what they're getting. I probably would for my own use, but since I'm considering resale I would prefer to at least not seek blems, knowing that some happen anyway :O

Thanks for all the great ideas and support, and most importantly for the flash file! That's super awesome. Is there any reason I shouldn't try it with my old display just to verify functionality before changing the screen? I don't see what it would hurt.

7 hours ago, Kaali said:

You don't need root to use the APK screen firmware flashing tool.

You sure about that? The instructions seem to call for some root ADB instructions, though being mostly in Chinese I can't be 100% sure. Perhaps it works anyway if that section is skipped, or the ADB part provides root access without actually rooting the device.....though I didn't think this was possible.

7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

THAT is a genius idea. It also allows me to see how good their customer service may be if there's an issue, though I will have to make which came from which to do it properly.

EDIT: And I just did exactly that. I ordered 2 each from the 2 vendors offering the screen not as blems and will begin the discovery of the needed information. Thanks everyone for the supportiveness and great ideas!

Edited by silversolver
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, silversolver said:

You sure about that? The instructions seem to call for some root ADB instructions, though being mostly in Chinese I can't be 100% sure. Perhaps it works anyway if that section is skipped, or the ADB part provides root access without actually rooting the device.....though I didn't think this was possible.

I'm not 100% sure as i have rooted with magisk, but i recall doing that flash when i was running stock way back and i didn't need to root then. Also on lineage under developer options i have allow rooted debugging so it might be enough itself.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Kaali said:

I'm not 100% sure as i have rooted with magisk, but i recall doing that flash when i was running stock way back and i didn't need to root then. Also on lineage under developer options i have allow rooted debugging so it might be enough itself.

I guess I'll know soon enough lol. I think stock had a built-in path for the update that LOS may not. Hopefully I don't break the old one getting it out in case I have to reinstall it briefly. Heat should be my friend in that regard I think.

Edited by silversolver
4 minutes ago, silversolver said:

I think stock had a built-in path for the update that LOS may not.

Also stock only had it since its last update...

5 minutes ago, silversolver said:

Heat should be my friend in that regard I think.

Heat helps disassembling screen's frame, so yes.

• Thanks 1
On 5/21/2022 at 8:09 AM, Kaali said:

You don't need root to use the APK screen firmware flashing tool. The files are found from the unofficial discord server, dragonbox guy also has them, and i remember they have been posted somewhere else too. Look for Boe.rar

Edit. The file was posted to matrix originally by The Kit, i think at this point it probably is safe to post it here so here's the link to the BoE files that can fix the screen margins on Android 10 or 9. Instructions are included in the file.
https://matrix.revreso.de/_matrix/media/r0/download/matrix.org/MhQPLNrIHbyoMahdOvuZLWtA

Thank you for posting. The instructions are in Chinese 🙁

• Sad 1
On 5/16/2022 at 4:57 AM, EskeRahn said:

The "gt1x" could well indicate x is to be replaces with some digits,
According to this, at the least a gt1151 exists, so that might be a relevant guess?

Have we got any good images of the print that might help?
We expect a minor square chip like on this image.

ADD a little more googling indicates that a gt1143 and gt1152 also exists

I've taken a photo of the chipset inside my first replacement screen which worked fine for a year until I broke its glass.

image.png.c940ee4a2cdab923b1714bdc73f87714.png

It's not very legible on the photo but it's a GT9286.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, agent008 said:

I've taken a photo of the chipset inside my first replacement screen which worked fine for a year until I broke its glass.

It's not very legible on the photo but it's a GT9286.

I have attached the actual data sheet for Pro1's touch controller (which also has register information) to this message.
Registers 0x805B and 0x805C are still there. 🙂

GT928 Datashet English.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi, how can I help with this? Even though I believe my case is different (no touch at all, touch driver absent from i2c bus, whereas the problem here is insensitive touch margins).

Last thing I attempted was flashing an older Lineage version (17.1) and running the display firmware upload APK. The apk never was able to update the display always complaining that firmware update wasn't supported.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the work, people. Life got in the way here a bit.

I did a bit of digging based on the rar shared in this thread by Kaali: The APK does seem to contain code to write config data to the chip (com.goodix.tools.ICParametersConfig.class). I attached a version of the *.cfg converted to decimal, separated by newlines. There are 239 bytes in total, which do not seem to map cleanly to the config information in the datasheet.

I also attached a version of the flashing instructions with Google translations in them.

I used the APK with my Pro1 in USB debugging mode, and after having run the commands in the instructions. The "I2C Operation" function properly reads and shows the config bytes. Via this route I have been able to confirm that the data in BOE-5.99-GT9286_1.1.28(3C02)V70_Config_20190625_133423.cfg starts at register address (0x)8050. The 239 bytes read match up (almost) perfectly with the 239 entries. I'll attach the output (use the 'Save' checkbox in the APK) on my phone as well as the original config file.

The APK also has a 'Configuration setting' which reads the config from the chip and actually displays the info with the register names in front of them. Using the 'save' feature there ends up with almost the exact same contents as the I2C dump (with the exception of the final byte, which is a 1 instead of a 0).

The sad part here is that the config file in the rar (BOE-..) is exactly the same as the config that the APK exports from my phone. The Space_Up_Down and Space_Left_Right values are also already at zero.

It's late, so I might be overlooking something. To be continued later, when I'm a bit fresher.

Decimal version of config values - newlines.cfg Translated instructions - GT9286 flashing.docx BOE-5.99-GT9286_1.1.28(3C02)V70_Config_20190625_133423.cfg DI_broken_margins_cfg_backup_2022762355.cfg DI_broken_margins_i2c_data_from_register0x8050.cfg

• Thanks 9
  • 5 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, dualinfinity said:

I found an easy way to fix this from any ROM, without having to wipe userdata.

Now that is just an awesome workaround! Thanks.

Though people should make sure to backup as much as possible first. as the workaround relies on the stock android failing to use the current userdata without destroying anything, and that might not always go so smooth.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Now that is just an awesome workaround! Thanks.

Though people should make sure to backup as much as possible first. as the workaround relies on the stock android failing to use the current userdata without destroying anything, and that might not always go so smooth.

Good point, better to have backed up and not need the backups than the other way around!

Some more info:

• I did not time it, but I think I let it sit at the boot logo for 2-3 minutes before rebooting and flashing LineageOS again. I assume that the firmware flashing actually happens pretty early in the boot process, so I wouldn't be surprised if letting it boot for a much shorter time works as well.
  • Haven't seen any anomalies since I did this. Used my phone with my banking app, Whatsapp, Android Auto, etc. The only difference is that I am regularly surprised that UI elements at the edges of the screen actually work again 😅

I'll add the above to the post with the workaround as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dreamflasher said:

@dualinfinityThanks a lot for the guide! I am trying it out right now. Just for clarification, when you say "Flash the 2020-08-25 stock ROM", what exactly do you mean that should be flashed? All images? The full process here:

Maybe exclude userdata and persist? What about system and boot?

I just used fastboot_all.bat included in the 2020-08-25 7z file. The line `fastboot flash userdata.img` didn't work for me anyway, but to be sure you can comment out or remove that line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unbelievable, this actually worked! And I did a system upgrade (LOS 18->19) as well, and that worked on top! This was my first time a dirty flash worked – with device encryption.

This is what I flashed from the stock rom:

fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo_a dtbo.img 
fastboot flash dtbo_b dtbo.img 
fastboot flash system_a system.img
fastboot flash system_b system.img
fastboot flash vendor_a vendor.img 
fastboot flash vendor_b vendor.img
fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img 
fastboot flash vbmeta_b vbmeta.img 
rem fastboot flash userdata.img