Display units with large tap-insensitive margin

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found an easy way to fix this from any ROM, without having to wipe userdata. tl;dr: Edit: Make backups. It shouldn't be necessary, but you never know! Flash the 2020-08-25 stock RO

Thanks for the work, people. Life got in the way here a bit. I did a bit of digging based on the rar shared in this thread by Kaali: The APK does seem to contain code to write config data to the

To all who still struggle with this issue. People in the fxtec unofficial discord have discovered that flashing ONLY the vendor.img from the stock restore thread will fix the aliex screen issues and

Posted Images

I had to replace screen of my Pro1 again (after replacing it last Sunday) because of falling two times, first to concrete and then to tile (after not dropping it since years) and the last one caused it to have a lot of cracks of screen glass but otherwise it still worked perfectly (cracks made reading texts hard anyway).

So I have decided to replace it again - this was one of my latest display orders, so it had a margin unset, but I put it in a Pro1 which still has stock Android 9 installed and I felt is has solved margin problem (I could not reach top menu in landscape mode, then I could).

So I have glued the screen in my daily driver and assembled it.

Today, I have found something is still not looks to be okay as I can not reach applications at long corners or even send a message in Aliexpress (I can not press that button at all).

I have tried a touch screen area test which showed the following result - dots above are touch presses and below are finger dragging:
image.thumb.png.69cab687891c1d158d21f51a422f3375.png

So basically screen seems to be okay (sensing all of its area) but it is insensitive for touches at the edge of the screen.

Now I have started thinking somehow it went back to default settings as I only see registers 0x805B and 0x805C are the related settings (and top/bottom parts are okay).
Does it the same way it worked after screen replacement without setting margins using stock OS?
(I may try to disassemble both devices again to try it again if it is the case)...

It is very annoying...

However, do anyone have have a clue about how to reach touch panel's registers under Android?
As far as I remember well, I was able to unload kernel module so touch panel stopped working under OS but I still could not reach I2C device for communication under chrooted Linux environment.

So an example code for Android which reads/writes register of an I2C device would be very welcome (what I could modify for doing these settings).
However, it may happen simply trying to access it after unloading kernel module may not be enough as well...

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, VaZso said:

So basically screen seems to be okay (sensing all of its area) but it is insensitive for touches at the edge of the screen.

If you look again at the OP of this thread, the behaviour you observe is exactly as described for a screen having not reveived the "Stock-firmware-magic": The outer ~7 mm are insensitive to tapping but still correctly register dragging your finger form the central area outwards.

I had understood stock Android 9 does its touch-calibration thing only on first boot. So just connecting the screen to an already-installed stock-Pro1 might not be enough. I would try to facory-reset the "calibrating" device first.

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

I had understood stock Android 9 does its touch-calibration thing only on first boot. So just connecting the screen to an already-installed stock-Pro1 might not be enough. I would try to facory-reset the "calibrating" device first.

This device had stock state of Android (came from repair earlier) which I have updated to the latest software version yesterday (I was surprised update works at all).

After applied latest-1 update, I thought margin settings were modified and as far as I remember well, I could pull down Android nofitication bar in landscape orientation...

Now it is on build QX1000_EEA_20200707225313 (security 2020. april 05.)

So now I put the display to this device, did a factory reset and I still cannot pull down notification bar of Android in landscape mode... Currently I don't understand why it does not apply this setting (other than if it checks only the other setting before modify which seems to be set correctly).

Do anyone has the 3rd-party modificator app and its applying instuctions?

Anyway, before I moved to LineageOS, I put all of my displays once to the phone to set margin and I did not have any problems installing those screens... but I have received this one after moving to LineageOS - so I think it should also do it without a factory reset...

Yesterday I really felt this setting was applied, that was why I moved forward every OTA update steps on the phone and checked it works, otherwise I would have been applied another screen which is a bit worse at edges.

So I really don't understand it...

30 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

It might be slightly worse than that, that is one might need to reflash, not 'only' factory reset,

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

It might be slightly worse than that, that is one might need to reflash, not 'only' factory reset,

Anyway, it went to update written above and in this thread, there is 20200825 written (against 20200707)...
...I will try to install that one...

• Like 1

So... I had to unlock bootloader of this phone - as far as I remember well, it was initially unlocked and I am sure I have enabled offline charging which was currently disabled.
(It went for repair and received back a long time ago.)

As I wrote above, it was still at the very first stock image which I was able to update yesterday step-by-step (lot of updates), up to "QX1000_EEA_20200707225313 (security level 2020. april 05.)".
Now I have installed latest stock using fastboot and it currently has "QX1000_EEA_20200825231443_20200825-2316" and same security patch level.

So I think only the very last update was missing although system showed to be up-to-date.

Also, after updating, display margin was set correctly (but as far as I remember well, this setting was included prior latest update).

I will try it after my recently ordered screens arriving (I think from the same location where my currently installed screen comes from), maybe I will also order a few after weekend.

So, thank you @claude0001  and @EskeRahn your help, now my replaced display works well in my daily driver.
I will check if it also sets my last ordered displays to proper margin setting.

However, if somebody has an example code of Android handling an I2C device, it would be very welcome. 🙂
(I don't know if that is as simple as unloading touch-handler or reaching the hardware is only possible upon boot, prior loading anything related.)

So it currently works well, thank you your help.

• Thanks 2
8 hours ago, VaZso said:

However, if somebody has an example code of Android handling an I2C device, it would be very welcome. 🙂
(I don't know if that is as simple as unloading touch-handler or reaching the hardware is only possible upon boot, prior loading anything related.)

This would indeed be welcome if there was a simple way of doing what ever is needed to program the display, isolated, and not as a part of a whole full flash.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Just ran into the same issue on my 2nd display swap. First one had no issues immediately but then pink vertical line appeared outside the return/refund window.

This one I need to get it to register touches on the side it seems. I take it there's still no easy fix and I'll need to backup, flash stock and only then AICP?

Edited by Adrienspawn
7 hours ago, Adrienspawn said:

Just ran into the same issue on my 2nd display swap. First one had no issues immediately but then pink vertical line appeared outside the return/refund window.

This one I need to get it to register touches on the side it seems. I take it there's still no easy fix and I'll need to backup, flash stock and only then AICP?

I think this is the easiest fix we currently know of. I personally haven't found other ways since that post (and alas, I have replaced my screen a few times since then):

• Thanks 1