Pro1-X just arrived today, what a beautiful device.

6 minutes ago, flx said:

If you legally bought the software license I don't see what could be illegal in making in works on a different hardware. I'd say it falls under the retroengineering/compatibility laws in Europe.

If someone has an EULA that does not match your local legislation, I suggest that you before accepting the EULA contact them and point this out so they can adjust it, or at the least give you something in writing where they accept it. Just doing our own personal opinionated adjustment to what the EULA states is not the best way to go, and could back fire if it does not hold legally.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey everyone! Just got my pro1-X and I am loving everything except android 9. 🙂 the form factor is a delight. I found the finger print reader weird until I realized that with more fingers i cou

@Apextech February 2020? September 2019 here – and not all too amused anymore, either. Still – this is not fairyland where we live. This is not a world where our wishes necessarily come true, not

Hard to belive, that the Pro-X is deliverd bevor the Pro-1 is fully delieverd.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Suggesting anything that is illegal is clearly outside what is acceptable in here, I hid you comment, so you will have to make it again without that.

You're implying I suggested it. I did not, I think I even wrote the opposite, and I didn't detail how to do it either.

What I did say is there is no technical/hardware limitation to running Alien Dalvik and other paid Sailfish X software on a Pro1, as was also posted by others on Twitter, including a former Jolla employee. However I made it clear that there are commercial and legal limitations (i.e., the licence cannot be purchased and flashed to anything else than an official device, which in turns creates technical barriers), this is not a secret in any way. I encouraged buying a licence to support Jolla if going this route, because the main risk is Jolla being upset enough to make it significantly more difficult, however that seems unlikely if people trying to use their licence on unofficial devices do it after properly paying for their licence and don't expect support. On a second thought, that could be taken as incitation, apologies for that. I was just trying to be factual and thought that was not out of line since I warned that this would probably be a breach of EULA.

Could you just edit the original message to leave my answer about Anbox?

Edited by matf
  • Like 3

Legislation goes over EULA. That is non-debatable. And it is good to make people aware if an EULA or EULA clause is not valid somewhere, not bad.

BTW, Jolla has already been forced to submit to EU legislation before because of people changing phones not being able to transfer the license by default. I like their OS a lot, and will most probably use it on my Pro1-X when it arrives later this year (or so I hope!), but the company itself leaves a LOT to be desired regarding licensing, IMO.

To OP, pity about the shifted keyboard, but VERY nice that people are getting their Pro1! And the development around the device seems to have picked up the pace meanwhile, so you probably will be able to test some really cool stuff now/soon (containers, Anbox, mainline kernel, other readily packaged distros, ...). Exciting times ahead! 🙂

• Like 2

I like the shifted keyboard! Especially on Sailfish since there is no toolbar on the right of the screen (in landscape), so having hands properly centred on the keyboard is great. I'll make an opinion on unshifted when I get my Pro1x, but I really hope they take the community feedback/suggestions into account when placing / and ? keys. :/

Edited by matf
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, frikisama said:

Legislation goes over EULA. That is non-debatable.

No doubt about that, but not having a juridical degree I would certainly not be sure that my personal interpretation holds legally. "In good faith" will hold morally but it is less likely to be enough in a court case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 9:49 AM, matf said:

I like the shifted keyboard! Especially on Sailfish since there is no toolbar on the right of the screen (in landscape), so having hands properly centred on the keyboard is great. I'll make an opinion on unshifted when I get my Pro1x, but I really hope they take the community feedback/suggestions into account when placing / and ? keys. :/

Here is the new QWERTY layout:

image.png.ad0b5cd4b5aa41dbb7a31af939dc4b1e.png

The most often used keys that changed, for regular typing, seem to be the : and ;.  They were to the left of the Del, but are now to the right of the L.  

/ is still on the P and ? is still on the L.

Edited by david
  • Confused 1
15 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I'm not sure these layouts are 100% final yet. They are still to publish their AZERTY, so I would guess other layouts could get minor adjustments.

Their plan was to be assembling the new phones in January, I believe.  I could be wrong on that.  But if that is correct, then a person would think the design is final now and that they would update their website if there were any changes.  But there are many "if" variables in all of that. 😏

• Like 1
Just now, david said:

Their plan was to be assembling the new phones in January, I believe.  I could be wrong on that.  But if that is correct, then a person would think the design is final now and that they would update their website if there were any changes.  But there are many "if" variables in all of that. 😏

Forget about that, it's chinese new year 😁

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, david said:

If by "plan" you are referring to the "Timeline" on the IGG page, you'll notice no bubbles have been filled in since October.  😄

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, Hook said:

If by "plan" you are referring to the "Timeline" on the IGG page, you'll notice no bubbles have been filled in since October.  😄

Good point.  They *did* send the early Christmas phones, so there is progress there.  But you are right.  They haven't updated it.

zxn5fpzx81xz7w0mt1ca.jpg

Have we not heard anything through any other channels on where they are with this?  The time for refunds is fast approaching.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david said:

Have we not heard anything through any other channels on where they are with this?  The time for refunds is fast approaching.

We haven't had an official update since the New Years one.

As for refunding, I'm not sure, the way IGG crowdfunding works, that refunds will be offered. From a post on IGG:

Well, just received the reply to my refund request and it has been denied.

“Once the funds are deposited to us by Indiegogo, we are no longer able to issue refunds.
You will get the return on your investment – the Pro 1 X, and you’d then be free to sell it"

Knowing them, I suspect they would issue refunds if they couldn't deliver, but honestly crowdfunding doesn't even require that.  As IGG likes to point out, it is an investment without a guarantee.  I'm not worried.  I think they will deliver, but may not be able to make the target of March.  I'm willing to be patient once more.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, lawliett said:

So just to make sure, the pro1-x you got has an unshifted QWERTY layout; the Q key is right next to the TAB key?

I am afraid Pre-Christmas batch still had shifted QWERTY layout, but that was an initial batch so later shipments should contain unshifted QWERTY layout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, VaZso said:

I am afraid Pre-Christmas batch still had shifted QWERTY layout, but that was an initial batch so later shipments should contain unshifted QWERTY layout.

That's my understanding as well.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Hook said:

As for refunding, I'm not sure, the way IGG crowdfunding works, that refunds will be offered.

I'm not very worried, myself.  However, I'm surprised they haven't been more communicative.  That was the big problem last time they produced a product.

My mistake regarding a February refund.  I saw someone else post about a February date and then when I recently paid for a battery on the Indiegogo page, the email I received stated:

This charge will appear in your credit card statement as “INDIEGOGO* Pro1 X IGG”.

Crowdfunding is not shopping. Your donation is a way to support a project but does not guarantee that you will receive a perk.

You may request a full refund from Indiegogo until February 2, 2021.

Any refunds after this date are the responsibility of the campaign owner, FX Technology, at their discretion.

I mistakenly assumed, based on that previous post, that all the items had a February 2nd refund date.  I just now looked back at the email I got when I ordered the Pro1 X, and it listed a refund date of December 11th, 2020.

• Like 1

To clarify, my keyboard has a `/~ key between the Q and the Tab button. I wanted to see this launched so I bought the pre-christmas phone knowing there would be some "imperfections"

After loading lineage on it, I am a happy camper! Love the keyboard, love the landscape mode, love the metal case.

So what if I've shattered the screen already (after more than 10 drops). I'll swap it out later with my 3d printed bumper case comes in.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, bennypr0fane said:

Does the LineageOS edition of ProX1 come with Google Play services? If not, is MicroG available for this device?

In other words, can we use apps that need GMaps, FCM etc. under LineageOS?

yes you need to side load the google apps you wish to use it tells you in the instructions a recommended one but I know people have switch to different google app bundles

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, _DW_ said:

yes you need to side load the google apps you wish to use it tells you in the instructions a recommended one but I know people have switch to different google app bundles

Different Google apps bundles? I never knew  there was some kind of choice, the only one I've heard of is MicroG.
Just saw this on the IGG page:

Will Lineage OS support certain services that requires SafetyNet? i.e.banking apps.
As Lineage OS is ‘Google free’, it does not have CTS test or Google Services pre-installed. We recommend choosing Android OS if you need to use CTS & SafetyNet such as banking apps.

Haven't heard of SafetyNet or CTS either. Is it a Google thing?
So have you tried this on your device or else, what's your source? I'd really like to get a Pro1X, but I need to be able to use GApps. I like LineageOS, and I was able to install it with GApps on my current device. However, GApps for Lineage need to be made specifically per-device I think, so I guess it's a question of whether or not FXTec are planning on maintaining a version for the Pro1X.
In light of these considerations, I'm on the fence between Lineage and Android.
If I do get Lineage, will it be possible to install Android later myself - be it dual-boot or replacing it?

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, bennypr0fane said:

GApps for Lineage need to be made specifically per-device I think, so I guess it's a question of whether or not FXTec are planning on maintaining a version for the Pro1X.

Not at all.  There is no device specific Gapps for Lineage.  Go to Opengapps and pick what size package of Gapps for the version of ndroid your Lineage is compatible with and download and flash.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Hook said:

Not at all.  There is no device specific Gapps for Lineage.  Go to Opengapps and pick what size package of Gapps for the version of ndroid your Lineage is compatible with and download and flash.

Cool! I must have confused that with MicroG - because the reason I didn't put MicroG on my Sony Xperia 10 with Lineage is that it's not available for this device...

So has anyone actually done that on the Pro1X?
OP maybe, which version did you order? Have you made changes to your OS-setup, installed, switched...?

Edited by bennypr0fane
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, benhbell said:

To clarify, my keyboard has a `/~ key between the Q and the Tab button. I wanted to see this launched so I bought the pre-christmas phone knowing there would be some "imperfections"

Was there any confirmation from fxtec that the pre-christmas phone would be different from the ones that shipped in March 2021? I'm not seeing anything like that on the igg page, so I thought it would be the same keyboards. I tried emailing fxtec, but haven't gotten a response on it. Hoping QWERTY is unshifted, or I'll regret not having ordered QWERTZ

• Like 1
9 hours ago, lawliett said:

Was there any confirmation from fxtec that the pre-christmas phone would be different from the ones that shipped in March 2021?

To the best of my knowledge, there was never any confirmation of any specific layout shipping at any specific point...

Edited by Rob. S.
32 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

To the best of my knowledge, there was never any confirmation of any specific layout shipping at any specific point...

I agree. It was my clear understanding that the ten devices were ordinary Pro1s in the blue Pro1x shell.