Can't believe it's finally happened. (Cracked Screen)

Nah bruv, not this one 😅. It hit the frame 😭. Luckily I still have one frame left. But I would prefer to keep that one in tact. Still figuring out what to do.

Do have one question for you all. The transparent glue is like the dumbest thing to do. Anyone recommend a black glue (bleeding)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I replaced my screen. All in all it took me about an hour I think, spread over three days. First I removed the screen with the help of my trusty hairdryer. I bought this hairdryer a couple of years

I bet that was the hardest part, to leave that bottle untouched for 48 hours? 😂

so, just to get back to you - i received today my new screen for the Pro1. switching the screens was easy.  the new screen works like a breeze, 100% responsive touch surface, OLED fine too, though the

Posted Images

I had my first spider app ever and I am sure a proper case would have prevented that. I really hope f(x)tec release one soon. I tried 3D-printing on, but it didn't fit, even though the printer is properly calibrated.

So I bought the replacement screen from DragonBox shop and replaced it. The new screen only seems to register touch press on the flat area and not on the curved part when first pressed. However, if I start the touch on a flat part and move the finde to the edge over the curved part, it is still recognized. This is very annoying when trying to hit buttons on the edge of an app, like search and menu buttons. I found this out with the options "Show taps" and "Pointer Location" from the developer menu enabled.

Anyone else got this issue and knows how to fix it?

23 minutes ago, fxtec11 said:

So I bought the replacement screen from DragonBox shop and replaced it. The new screen only seems to register touch press on the flat area and not on the curved part when first pressed. However, if I start the touch on a flat part and move the finde to the edge over the curved part, it is still recognized.

That's a known phenomenon. As far I know, there are several ways to fix it, depending on what operating system you run, and whether you are ready to do a full data wipe or not.

It's all in this thread:

I suggest to contact Dragonbox ( @EvilDragon ), they'll probably know best what to do ...

Edit: Dragonbox.de even have note about this on their product page: https://www.dragonbox.de/en/spare-parts-tools/lcds/fx-tec-pro1-replacement-lcd

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

So my screen cracked too and FXtec support sent me to a third party on AliExpress, but it was gonna cost $120.

I asked them if the elephone u pro screen would work and they said they were only confident about elephone u screen. They weren't sure that the pro is compatible. Does anyone know if the pro screen will work?

4 minutes ago, KGlife said:

I asked them if the elephone u pro screen would work and they said they were only confident about elephone u screen. They weren't sure that the pro is compatible. Does anyone know if the pro screen will work?

I was always searching parts for "Elephone U Pro" (including screen protectors) and based on photos, I would also say that is the display what Pro1 uses.

However, as far as I know well, there may be a frimware update needed which stock OS will automatically do but it would need a software under LineageOS.
Without that, there are some problems with touch margin.

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, KGlife said:

So my screen cracked too and FXtec support sent me to a third party on AliExpress, but it was gonna cost $120.

Elephone U pro is correct. 

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, KGlife said:

Will the firmware be an issue as Vazso noted?

Depends.  Are you running stock or Lineage?  If you are on stock and you have all the updates, there shouldn't be any problem.  If you are on Lineage, your vest bet will be to go back to stock for the update and then return to Lineage.

2 hours ago, Hook said:
2 hours ago, KGlife said:

Elephone U pro is correct. 

Yes, Elephone U Pro is definitely correct; all the successful third-party display replacements I've read about here (plus my own) were with Elephone U Pro screens.

That said, I have yet to learn of any difference whatsoever between the Elephone U and the Elephone U Pro screens. Some Aliexpress sellers do offer a choice between the two,  but some don't (and only offer one screen as fitting for both phones), and none of even those that do actually would show two different screens for U vs. U Pro, it's always the same image.

(Have there perhaps been negative reports I haven't seen, from people who unsuccessfully tried to install the non-Pro screen?) 

1 hour ago, Hook said:
1 hour ago, KGlife said:

Will the firmware be an issue as Vazso noted?

Depends.  Are you running stock or Lineage?  If you are on stock and you have all the updates, there shouldn't be any problem.  If you are on Lineage, your vest bet will be to go back to stock for the update and then return to Lineage.

Indeed; as of now, this seems to be the only way at least on LineageOS 18.1. (On Lineage 16.1 and 17.1, there's one other way which requires the help of a special flashing tool that's not publicly available.)

By the way, do we actually have reports from people running stock who already had the latest system updates that touchscreen borders were actually fixed after a DIY replacement? 

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

By the way, do we actually have reports from people running stock who already had the latest system updates that touchscreen borders were actually fixed after a DIY replacement? 

When I have replaced my screen, I had no touchscreen border problem.
I don't know which firmware my display had, but I was using stock OS.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Hook said:

Are you sure? I believe that it is the flashing of the stock that ALSO flashes something to the display.

So even if on stock I think we might have to re-flash it to get the screen working correctly - but as it is the same image, there should be no need of a factory reset, so not that bad.
I have not tried to do it though, so be sure to make suitable backup in case a wipe is needed to get things working after the flash.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Are you sure? I believe that it is the flashing of the stock that ALSO flashes something to the display.

So even if on stock I think we might have to re-flash it to get the screen working correctly - but as it is the same image, there should be no need of a factory reset, so not that bad.
I have not tried to do it though, so be sure to make suitable backup in case a wipe is needed to get things working after the flash.

Good point.  I don't know, just ass-u-and-me-ed it was enough to have the update installed in stock.  But I bet you are right, has to be actively flashed with a factory reset after the new lcd is installed.

23 hours ago, Hook said:

Good point.  I don't know, just ass-u-and-me-ed it was enough to have the update installed in stock.  But I bet you are right, has to be actively flashed with a factory reset after the new lcd is installed.

For those on the same version of stock, I do not think a factory reset would be needed after a re-flash. But I could be wrong, it is more of a hunch, as far as my understanding of this whole flashing circus works. So should I do it on a stock device, I would flash without the wipe first - I mean worst case is a re-flash WITH a wipe... So only time is lost.
That said, if people have some extra packages sideloaded, they should most likely be applied again.

On 9/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, EskeRahn said:

For those on the same version of stock, I do not think a factory reset would be needed after a re-flash. But I could be wrong, it is more of a hunch, as far as my understanding of this whole flashing circus works. So should I do it on a stock device, I would flash without the wipe first - I mean worst case is a re-flash WITH a wipe... So only time is lost.
That said, if people have some extra packages sideloaded, they should most likely be applied again.

There's a whole lotta terminology I don't know! Could you tell me what 'flash' means here?

4 hours ago, KGlife said:

There's a whole lotta terminology I don't know! Could you tell me what 'flash' means here?

I'm guessing from your question that the answer to my previous question is that you are on the stock Android 9 the pro1 came with and not Lineage OS.  In which case, you don't need to care what flashing is (in this context, sideloading an alternative version of the OS).  It may be that all you have to do is hook up the new screen and it will be fine.  If not, try a factory reset after you have installed the screen,  Assuming you have the latest update to the Pro1 (dated Aug 2020, I believe), i would expect it to apply what is needed for the screen edges.  The factory reset will, of course, erase all your data so back up first.

That's my guess, but I'm not an expert and haven't had to do this.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Hook said:

I'm guessing from your question that the answer to my previous question is that you are on the stock Android 9 the pro1 came with and not Lineage OS.  In which case, you don't need to care what flashing is (in this context, sideloading an alternative version of the OS).  It may be that all you have to do is hook up the new screen and it will be fine.  If not, try a factory reset after you have installed the screen,  Assuming you have the latest update to the Pro1 (dated Aug 2020, I believe), i would expect it to apply what is needed for the screen edges.  The factory reset will, of course, erase all your data so back up first.

That's my guess, but I'm not an expert and haven't had to do this.

I doubt that factory resetting will do the trick, that 'merely' erase user data. I think it is in the flashing process it also sends something to the display, but I'm not sure.

I would rather suggest flashing the latest version, without wiping the user data/

17 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

PS on how to flash the stock android see this thread

PPS looking inside the fastboot_all.bat inside the .7z file, Someone with more understanding of these things might be able to pinpoint the specific file that does the trick:

fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo_a dtbo.img
fastboot flash dtbo_b dtbo.img
rem fastboot flash system_a system.img
rem fastboot flash system_b system.img
rem fastboot flash vendor_a vendor.img
rem fastboot flash vendor_b vendor.img
fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img
fastboot flash vbmeta_b vbmeta.img
fastboot flash userdata.img

fastboot flash abl_a abl.elf
fastboot flash abl_b abl.elf
fastboot flash persist persist.img
fastboot flash mdtp_a mdtp.img
fastboot flash mdtp_b mdtp.img
fastboot flash splash splash.img

fastboot flash xbl_a xbl.elf
fastboot flash xbl_b xbl.elf
fastboot flash rpm_a rpm.mbn
fastboot flash rpm_b rpm.mbn
fastboot flash tz_a tz.mbn
fastboot flash tz_b tz.mbn
fastboot flash hyp_a hyp.mbn
fastboot flash hyp_b hyp.mbn
fastboot flash pmic_a pmic.elf
fastboot flash pmic_b pmic.elf
fastboot flash modem_a NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot flash modem_b NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot flash keymaster_a km4.mbn
fastboot flash keymaster_b km4.mbn
fastboot flash cmnlib_a cmnlib.mbn
fastboot flash cmnlib_b cmnlib.mbn
fastboot flash cmnlib64_a cmnlib64.mbn
fastboot flash cmnlib64_b cmnlib64.mbn
fastboot flash bluetooth_a BTFM.bin
fastboot flash bluetooth_b BTFM.bin
fastboot flash dsp_a adspso.bin
fastboot flash dsp_b adspso.bin
fastboot flash devcfg_a devcfg.mbn
fastboot flash devcfg_b devcfg.mbn
fastboot flash mdtpsecapp_a mdtpsecapp.mbn
fastboot flash mdtpsecapp_b mdtpsecapp.mbn
fastboot flash storsec storsec.mbn

I see something with "dsp" near the bottom, that could be abbreviation for display.....

• Like 1

Good idea. Something to try next time I need a screen replacement, if noone else does it first...

By the way, I guess someone should really change that script and remove those REMs before the system/vendor related lines...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Good idea. Something to try next time I need a screen replacement, if noone else does it first...

By the way, I guess someone should really change that script and remove those REMs before the system/vendor related lines...

They do look suspicious, indeed.

• 1 month later...

So I had the cracked screen replaced with the elephone u pro glass. The new screen didn't work until I did a factory reset, and then it worked for a few hours... unfortunately, it just stopped responding again.

Any ideas?

Edited by KGlife
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, KGlife said:

So I had the cracked screen replaced with the elephone u pro glass. The new screen didn't work until I did a factory reset, and then it worked for a few hours... unfortunately, it just stopped responding again.

Any ideas?

Hmm cable perhaps, or connector for some reason not working as it is supposed to?

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

A while ago I've bought two of these: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32956500815.html 

I've already had success installing one of them. The adhesive strips which are included don't suffice, though; I've used B-7000 glue (and still the lower right corner doesn't stick perfectly; next time I'll take more care especially with the corners.).

• Thanks 1