Can't believe it's finally happened. (Cracked Screen)

2 hours ago, DieBruine said:

By the way, not happy with the zones on my Pro1x and 844dp. Portrait and outer 4mm hardly seem to engage

Same for me. Are there any border settings in stock Android which still might be tweaked? I knew I had them on the Pro1 with LineageOS but so far I didn't find anything like that on the Pro1X with stock Android. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I replaced my screen. All in all it took me about an hour I think, spread over three days. First I removed the screen with the help of my trusty hairdryer. I bought this hairdryer a couple of years

I bet that was the hardest part, to leave that bottle untouched for 48 hours? 😂

so, just to get back to you - i received today my new screen for the Pro1. switching the screens was easy.  the new screen works like a breeze, 100% responsive touch surface, OLED fine too, though the

Posted Images

5 hours ago, DieBruine said:

And they usually need flashing because of the deadzone. I've ordered at least 5 screens, all needed flashing.

By the way, not happy with the zones on my Pro1x and 844dp. Portrait and outer 4mm hardly seem to engage

What kind of flashing do they need?  Is this the bit about having it on the stock firmware?  And does that have to be an older version or can it be any version?

40 minutes ago, david said:

What kind of flashing do they need?  Is this the bit about having it on the stock firmware?  And does that have to be an older version or can it be any version?

Yes it is, and I think for the Pro1 it has to be the most recent version, because the display's border defaults (it's a chip on the display that has to be flashed) had changed during the production of the phone, and at some point Fxtec had to account for that in the phone's firmware, if I remember correctly.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 2
Just now, Rob. S. said:

Yes it is, and I think for the Pro1 it has to be the most recent version, because the border defaults ex factory had changed during the production of the phone, and at some point Fxtec had to account for that.

Thank you for explaining that.  I don't know if my pro1 is on the very latest firmware.  I thought I kept getting bugged to upgrade something, but that might have been some other app related to rooting, not the firmware.  It is in multiple pieces right now as I am fighting with charging its battery without a working usb port.  I'll have to check on this after I get it more stable.

12 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

(it's a chip on the display that has to be flashed)

As far as I have found earlier, it is simply a configuration, a setting of touch controller... simply it was not easy to reach the circuit on the specific I²C port under Android which would like to use it for touch sensing...

So basically it is not flashing, simply a setting which is one of the parameters the touch controller has, stored in an EEPROM-like way.

• Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, VaZso said:

As far as I have found earlier, it is simply a configuration, a setting of touch controller... simply it was not easy to reach the circuit on the specific I²C port under Android which would like to use it for touch sensing...

So basically it is not flashing, simply a setting which is one of the parameters the touch controller has, stored in an EEPROM-like way.

Does this mean there is a way to set this parameter with an android app?

7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Screens are fairly easy to find on Aliexpress, just search foe Elephone U Pro, that uses the same screen. The frame is specific for FxTec, but as far as i know they only sell it as a unit with the display.

Thanks!  I ordered 2 off there just now, for $40 total, including shipping to the USA.

I *know* I ordered multiple screen protectors when I first got my pro1.  I may have to order more, because I didn't come across them when looking through all the cases I ordered back then.

16 minutes ago, david said:

I don't know.

I am not familiar with Android programming but I have tried to do it using an own commandline program, without success.
I was able to unload kernel module but still I could not reach the hardware... maybe it is something to do with Android OS itself.

18 hours ago, david said:
18 hours ago, VaZso said:

Theoretically yes, and such an app actually exists, but the one I know of does not work on current Android/LOS versions, so it doesn't help us here.

Those apps are not supposed to reach the end user, and what exactly it is they do is not documented for the public, either. The app I've seen comes from the display controller manufacturer. I used it myself to 'flash' my first display replacement when my Pro1 still ran on what I think was LOS 16. For later replacements (I think all in all I had three), while running later LOS versions, that wasn't possible anymore.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 2
21 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

and what exactly it is they do is not documented for the public, either

Basically what should be done with the device itself is simple and written in touch controller's datasheet.
However, the actual internal working of Android affects the way of how to do it and if it is possible or in what circumstances - and that is where deep knowledge of Android programming may highly affect the possibility of success...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know for certain if I can take the screen from a Pro1x and put it on my Pro1?  I'm still using an original Pro1 and the screen is now shattered pretty bad.

I would prefer not to have to switch to a new samsung slab phone at this time.  I have a Pro1x sitting in the box but reading about issues with them makes me not want to even bother.  But if I can borrow the screen from it to fix my Pro1, I would try it.

8 hours ago, KingOfTerrible said:

Does anyone know for certain if I can take the screen from a Pro1x and put it on my Pro1?  I'm still using an original Pro1 and the screen is now shattered pretty bad.

I would prefer not to have to switch to a new samsung slab phone at this time.  I have a Pro1x sitting in the box but reading about issues with them makes me not want to even bother.  But if I can borrow the screen from it to fix my Pro1, I would try it.

The spare part FxTec sells includes a little more than the display itself, and these two we know are not identical.

I'm not 100% the display itself is completely identical, but I believe so. That is that it is the Boe display also used for the Elephone U Pro, that we can find as a spare part on Aliexpress.

When using a display from Aliexpress a factory reset (wiping all user data) is needed for the Pro1, as this is the only way we know of to get the code executed that sets the touch margins of the display. So even if FxTec confirms that the display is the exact same, you might need to do the same factory reset.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

So even if FxTec confirms that the display is the exact same, you might need to do the same factory reset.

Also, if display is the exact same type, the whole unit which holds the display is definitively not (as per F(x)tec stated), and it is not a good idea to separate the display and its frame. It is not impossible but also includes a potential damage of the display.

It is much better to order a screen for Elephone U Pro which can be used to replace Pro1's screen as I have also did it a few times...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, VaZso said:

Also, if display is the exact same type, the whole unit which holds the display is definitively not (as per F(x)tec stated), and it is not a good idea to separate the display and its frame. It is not impossible but also includes a potential damage of the display.

It is much better to order a screen for Elephone U Pro which can be used to replace Pro1's screen as I have also did it a few times...

Especially if someone would be expecting to use the Pro1X screen assembly on their Pro1X again. I did one or two display replacements on the Pro1 myself, but even with a new display unit I wasn't able to glue it back on the frame without a slight gap remaining in the lower right corner. 

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, VaZso said:

On the first, I said that in the first line 😉

But there COULD be a reason to get it from FxTec, as many have reported quality issues with the one we have bought on AliExpress. It might very well be that the cheap one we see offered are units that failed the quality control and are sold of cheap. Especially many reports black corners - some sellers listings even state that there are black corners.

And indeed there are risks in detaching it.

Personally I too would rather take the risk with displays from aliexpress, than attempting a transfer, but @KingOfTerrible explicitly asked about using a Pro1X display on the Pro1.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, for anyone wanting a screenprotector for the fxtec pro1x (in an attempt to give your pro1(x)'s screen less chance of cracking), I recently ordered these from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/atFoliX-Protector-Compatible-Flexible-Protection/dp/B0BCH67X2G/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3LQP1O9PWLDLR&keywords=fxtec+pro1+x+screen+protector&qid=1689425820&sprefix=fxtec+pro1+x+screenprotector%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-3

I applied it to my new Pro1x today, so I'm uncertain how well it'll protect it's screen... but if anyone was looking for a screenprotector specifically for the pro1(x) then here you go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Kyranio as a flexible screen protector, it sounds similar to the one I got from ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Protector-Full-Cover-for-Fxtec-Pro-1-X-Curved-Screen-Edge-Protection-Film/354228313766?pageci=54fcc0a3-388c-45eb-b53c-79f1628927ac&redirect=mobile.  I don't expect it to protect from drops, but from scratches.

For drops, I got a 3D printed case made (see thread for that) but for proper outdoor protection I use this pouch https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401390599432 as well ... I don't have a good record with dropping & breaking phones; & I've waited YEARS for this!!

Edited by Tim6263
  • Like 1
On 7/16/2023 at 12:46 AM, Tim6263 said:

@Kyranio as a flexible screen protector, it sounds similar to the one I got from ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Protector-Full-Cover-for-Fxtec-Pro-1-X-Curved-Screen-Edge-Protection-Film/354228313766?pageci=54fcc0a3-388c-45eb-b53c-79f1628927ac&redirect=mobile.  I don't expect it to protect from drops, but from scratches.

Except that yours (which I recently bought, too) doesn't cover the curved edges of the screen (so I returned it), whereas his seems to do so.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1

and now it hit me too - again, actually a second time : it's not that it cracked but the screen just stopped working, out of the blue !  it doesn't pick up finger taps, just my keyboard inputs.  i am going to check now if perhaps a loose cable is responsible for that - otherwise i am a bit lost what to do...i am leaving for a trip to Europe soon and need some sort of a phone, right ?  but who knows how long it would take to get one of those new Pro1-X phones ?  months, years, never...?

• Sad 2
17 minutes ago, pistikem said:

and now it hit me too - again, actually a second time : it's not that it cracked but the screen just stopped working, out of the blue !  it doesn't pick up finger taps, just my keyboard inputs.  i am going to check now if perhaps a loose cable is responsible for that - otherwise i am a bit lost what to do...i am leaving for a trip to Europe soon and need some sort of a phone, right ?  but who knows how long it would take to get one of those new Pro1-X phones ?  months, years, never...?

Yes, that is what happened to me the second time a few weeks before my warranty was up in 2021.  I took it in to my local shop and had them put in a AlieExpress screen (on FxTec's advice since they didn't have any screens at the time) and it too wouldn't respond, so it was something deeper than the display or the cable.  Sent it in to FxTec but had to wait 6 months for a screen as they were getting Pro1 parts with Pro1x parts. I don't know what they did exactly, but my Pro1 is still going fine more than a year later.

I think you may have to send it to them. They have Pro1 screens in stock if that is needed, so you won't have as long a wait as I did, but you also won't have warranty coverage. sadly.  And it may still not be in time for your trip.  I'd contact them and see what they can do for you.  If you do send the phone to them, I'd explore having them replace the battery while they are at it.

It's possible this may all be too pricey for you. Depends, I guess, on how important having a physical keyboard is to you. But it can't hurt to see what they say.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

thank you, Hook, for your feedback !  i just dismantled the screen, detached the flex cable, reattached it again, closed the thing - but no change, no touchscreen input !

i wrote now the Fxtec support team and requested a new Pro1 screen - i hope they still have spare parts !!!  then i will need it to arrive in the coming 10days or so.  i feel i am asking for the impossible...?

• Like 1

i luckily kept my 6%-broken touchscreen (A) from 3y ago which i had at that time replaced with this current one (B) - which just broke a few hours ago... 

now, inserting that old just partially broken screen (A) seems to work as before, the upper 6% of the screen are non-responsive as before but at least i can use large parts of the screen !!!  i may be able to live with that for the time being - while i will be waiting for a new spare part (C).  so, in sum, it's not the worst case scenario this way...

anyway, i will be waiting patiently to hear back from Fxtec support team !

• Like 3

I've broken my last spare screen, so need to buy another replacement.  My previous spare had a black spot that gradually got bigger until it was about 5mm wide.  Most of the sellers mention black spot flaws, and I don't really want to go through another "lucky dip".  Can anyone recommend a seller?

17 minutes ago, Noob said:

I've broken my last spare screen, so need to buy another replacement.  My previous spare had a black spot that gradually got bigger until it was about 5mm wide.  Most of the sellers mention black spot flaws, and I don't really want to go through another "lucky dip".  Can anyone recommend a seller?

I ordered 2 of these a while back.  I have not tried replacing my Pro1 screen with one of them yet though, so can't report on any imperfections.

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256805194536442.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.1e94f19cvAhrpJ&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa