Pro1 on LineageOS 18.1 only charges if I reboot it first

Hi  I only just started using my Pro 1 and went straight into installing Linage 18.1, so I have never used it wth stock.

The phone never charges unless I reboot it first.  I tend to charge it when it gets to the 15% warning.

In settings, battery it says "plugged in, cant charge at the moment"

I have 5 differnet cables, and 6 chargers and direct usb power sockets or several computers USB2&USB3 and it does not work with any of them until its rebooted.

It does not work with the provided charger or cable.

If I reboot, it will imediately start charing with any of the cables, chargets or sockets or computers, the red charing light comes on.

I only been using the phone for 6 days.

• Like 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In case you have root, you can take a look at /sys/class/power_supply/... For my Moto Z Play, I made an Automate Flow (script) to read and write to certain files (e.g. in /sys/class/power_supply/

I just had this issue for the first time yesterday (after only ever having run Lineage 18 on the phone since I got it a year ago). Rebooting appeared to solve it and everything seemed fine again.

As I read what @3zet writes, the point is if you have some software that stops charging when full (to prolong battery life when constantly connected). Charging ought to be accepted again once bel

Posted Images

Hi tomb,

I too have the same issue on my side, but it started a few weeks ago after an update of LOS 18.1.  I originally installed 18.1 a couple of months ago and charging was working correctly back then.

However, I haven't checked on Lineage's web site lately for this issue lately.

9 hours ago, Hook said:

I'm having no charging issues with 18.1 (I update weekly).  I tend not to let it drop lower than 40% and I use slow charging from a USB 2 powered hub.

Works fine here too. Either with a regular charger, a fast charger or a pc-usb port.
(I usually charge it through the PC weekly before updating the OS - use it for test only, hence the whole week stamina)

I would try to (temporarilly) manually stop user-installed apps one by one, and see if one particular app triggers the odd behaviour on LineageOS.

Have you rooted_ Could it be Magisk? (mine isn't rooted, plain Lineage and OpenGapps 11 Pico)

Had this happen to me as well yesterday. Noticed the phone didn't keep charging at 73%. I had used it while plugged in some time before but it was cool right then. Was fixed after a reboot this morning.

Usually I shut down my phone over night but this week I had just used airplane mode, so it had already several days of uptime.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wheeljack said:

Had this happen to me as well yesterday. Noticed the phone didn't keep charging at 73%. I had used it while plugged in some time before but it was cool right then. Was fixed after a reboot this morning.

Usually I shut down my phone over night but this week I had just used airplane mode, so it had already several days of uptime.

Just to note, I never shut down my Pro1.  It just gets a weekly reboot with the update.

• Thanks 1

My Pro1 hasn't seen much use as of late due to my habit of breaking the screen, still charging has had a few hiccups here and there – though nothing as drastic as having to reboot to start charging again, if I remember correctly.    

That said, I'm running LineageOS 18.1 with Magisk and I have the ACC (Advanced Charging Controller) daemon installed as a Magisk module (plus the AccA app), which I had thought to be the culprit here. Whether it was or wasn't, whenever the phone wasn't charging although it should, I opened the AccA app and that usually made charging start again... 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

That said, I'm running LineageOS 18.1 with Magisk and I have the ACC (Advanced Charging Controller) daemon installed as a Magisk module

I was happy for a moment that one of the functions I would like my Pro1 to have is exists. 🙂
...but as far as I can see, it does nothing to do about "how fast" the battery charges but it has other features.

Am I right?

What I would like to see is a software method of disabling fast charge when it is not needed.
I use a 5V 1A charging port for this purpose. 🙂

Anyway, to be a bit more on-topic, my Pro1 does a software reboot starting at some point after I connect it to a charger (usually after a few minutes).
The kernel does not reboot (uptime is still increasing), but Android on top of it.
It also does a restart loop every time I restart the phone - Android restarts on top of the kernel a lot of times, but it starts sooner or later.

I have stock Android installed.

I had the same problem earlier and did a factory reset, which made the phone fast again without any restart problems... then let Android install my backups, then it has started doing this again... then  I had another factory reset and tried to skip applications I use rarely or left without real use and it worked for a while without this kind of reboot loop... but it has started again.

Currently it is even worse (since installing two further applications) as software touch handling has started to be slow causing a long press a lot of times which also make a bit worse to use on-screen keyboard while hardware keyboard works well.

I have a feeling that the speed of my UFS may be related to this problem, so a reboot loop is caused by a service which looks for all the main services are running and the system still could not load them yet (also it shows F(x)tec logo much longer on restart).
I also feel when I have very low battery capacity left (10% or below), my phone is starting to be slower and I think the dropping of read speed of the UFS is the cause (application loading takes much longer).

I also have a feeling that my reboot loop most likely stops at a point when battery charge percent is getting close to a high value (maybe around or above 90%).

So I have a feeling that the UFS access time/throughput is affected by the voltage of the battery for some reason.

I plan to install LineageOS and hope it is not affected or being more tolerant (optimized) for this problem - so it most necessary components are loaded first, then it may not cause this reboot loop, but I really hate setting up my phone again, so I live with this reboot loop since a lot of months now... maybe around a year since my last reset.

3 minutes ago, VaZso said:

I also feel when I have very low battery capacity left (10% or below), my phone is starting to be slower

i'm pretty sure this is expected behaviour, as the system tries to prolong the small time of battery stamina left, by reducing speed.

3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

i'm pretty sure this is expected behaviour, as the system tries to prolong the small time of battery stamina left, by reducing speed.

It may happen but shouldn't it reduce only the CPU speed?

You are right that it may affect overall performance and my feeling can be wrong anyway.

Also it may happen if there is a component which runs well from 3.3V power supply but battery is getting closer to 3V is also starting to run at lower performance it there is no step-up converter for it - however, it may happen that UFS is basically running at 1.8V (haven't looked into it) which makes the circuit simpler in this relation. 🙂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, VaZso said:

I was happy for a moment that one of the functions I would like my Pro1 to have is exists. 🙂
...but as far as I can see, it does nothing to do about "how fast" the battery charges but it has other features.

Am I right?

What I would like to see is a software method of disabling fast charge when it is not needed.
I use a 5V 1A charging port for this purpose. 🙂

Theoretically, ACC/AccA has that function, it's called "charging power control" and it lets you set limits for both voltage and current. Problem is, so informs us the app, "unfortunately not all devices/kernels support this feature", and unfortunately I've had no luck getting this to work on the Pro1, either. Within the app, there's also no way to find out whether the device or the kernel is to blame...

Another cool feature doesn't work with the Pro1, either: "prioritize battery idle mode": "This allows supported device to draw power directly from the external power supply when charging is paused"...

Personally, I simply resort to slow power supplies, too, which deliver no more than 2W...

Regarding your boot loops, I'm sorry for not being able to contribute much... That said, I have one device, a really old Lenovo tablet, the battery of which doesn't always seem to have quite the capacity left that is being displayed, and it can be completely drained over night without any usage (I think I don't even leave any connectivity active when the display is off). When I plug it in in that state, it automatically powers on, tries to boot up, but immediately goes into a boot loop with reboots every few seconds, until the battery is replenished enough that it finally manages to boot up and stay on...

Also, from what AccuBattery says about the battery, it should be good enough, but it clearly isn't anymore. 

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

When I plug it in in that state, it automatically powers on, tries to boot up, but immediately goes into a boot loop with reboots every few seconds, until the battery is replenished enough that it finally manages to boot up and stay on...

Right, there are equipments (mostly phones) which cannot start without a proper battery inserted as its "charger circuit" cannot power the whole device at its maximal power.
There are also laptops which has weak main power circuit so also a battery is needed.

However, I have this issue since more than a year (maybe 1.5 with a few months of "pause" after a factory reset) and I don't think my battery should be in such a bad condition.
Anyway, I have two SIMs inserted which may also cause higher power demand...

Additionally, my reboot loop also happens above 50% of charge (I think also at 75%), so if it would be a battery issue, I should have seen also other related symptoms I think.

As of the other side, battery may have enough energy but the lack of high current capability which may has a result of a situation what you wrote above... however, my hardware does not restart (Linux kernel still has high uptime values), only a service of Android restarts the system at Android level, so that is not a full reboot but a software trigger.

What is interesting is the software definitively restarts for a reason, but if it is the cause of the lack of software optimization or a very different issue... is a good question.

Can say that the same thing happened to me twice in the past week. Only happened after I used a USB-C PD charger, hasn't happened again when using "dumb" chargers in the past 3 days. Kind of tempted to say it's a software issue. 🤷‍♂️

Will keep an eye on it.

• Thanks 1

Since recently I have a problem with charging: the device doesn't charge until rebooted.

More precisely, when I plug the device to a wall charger, the current used stays around 0A, as reported by BatteryBot Pro. When I reboot, I properly get 1.5A-3A of current from the charger, depending on the actual charger used (I tested using the official charger and an Anker charger)

• EskeRahn changed the title to Pro1 on LineageOS 18.1 only charges if I reboot it first
4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Please note that I am (still) on 20210726, so that might be why I don't see the issue.

I am updating weekly and not seeing this problem.  I just updated to the 16 August nightly, although there isn't much in this latest update.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Hook said:

I am updating weekly and not seeing this problem.  I just updated to the 16 August nightly, although there isn't much in this latest update.

Thanks, so it must be down to some apps not working well with LOS 18.

6 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Thanks, so it must be down to some apps not working well with LOS 18.

One other possibility-- I've seen people here talking about charging from being fairly low battery.  I never drop below 40% and am usually above 50% (what can I say-- I'm retired and I don't go anywhere 😄 ).  It could be the struggle is recovering from very low battery.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Hook said:

One other possibility-- I've seen people here talking about charging from being fairly low battery.  I never drop below 40% and am usually above 50% (what can I say-- I'm retired and I don't go anywhere 😄 ).  It could be the struggle is recovering from very low battery.

As I (normally) only charge the LOS Pro1 weekly, it sometimes get quite low, I have been down well below 20%. Anything below that seems to be unpredictable. It can jump from 15% to 0%. Not that uncommon percentages are just estimates.

• Like 1

Its rooted with magisk. I just updated to16 Aug release of Linage OS and still have this issue. I would like to help fix it but how do I get debug into to the right person.

I killed all running apps and still have the issue. Also even with say 70% left it still does not charge until a reboot.

Edited by tomb
  • Sad 1
23 hours ago, SCΛRECROW said:

Follow up: it happened again, this time after using dumb chargers only, also LOS18.1. Battery was below 50%. I'll start recording battery % and uptime before each charge to see if there's a pattern.

You might want to try the 'AccuBattery' app for that; to record charge and discharge periods is one of its features.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1