Time to take action - US-carrier whitelisting (Verizon and AT&T)

On 4/21/2022 at 3:34 AM, theory said:

AT&T shut my Pro1 off in late Aug of 2021 after sending me a bunch of text messages and a junk LG as a replacement. 

It was reporting as 4G or 4GLTE and HD voice right up until they turned it off...

Went into a Verizon store in Kalamazoo, MI and transferred my number that I've had for 25 years...  They used an older Google Pixel 3 or 4 they had in back and a new SIM card to activate the new account.  After getting it all working on the Pixel, we moved the SIM to the PRO1, changed the settings in the dialer and I've had no issues since...

I've replaced the screen 3 times, and I've a crack again...  But this IS my regular phone for ALL my uses...  The USB charging is a bit wonky now, I have to plug it in, hang it so it dangles by the cord and then reboot it for it to charge...  And use a USB volt/amp meter to be sure it is charging... 

But I love it and use it ALL the time!

Once the X confirms shipping, I'll buy one...

--

--

Now that is interesting news. You did have to argue with the reps at the store about it? How did that conversation go?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I certainly appreciate that! I'm slowly working on the different methods in the background while we wait for the phones to enter the shipping phase. I do have one concrete option developed!

As many people know, the situation in the US for choice of carrier has recently been obliterated. -T-Mobile is affordable and so far, accepting of most devices. However, they have AWFUL coverage,

I understand your point of view, but I bet that the work it would require to persuade huge tele-companies to care about a tiny player like FxTec would far exceed any profit they could gain by addition

Posted Images

On 4/21/2022 at 3:34 AM, theory said:

AT&T shut my Pro1 off in late Aug of 2021 after sending me a bunch of text messages and a junk LG as a replacement. 

It was reporting as 4G or 4GLTE and HD voice right up until they turned it off..

Your mistake was accepting their free replacement...because the terms with that was once you got it there would auto activate it and kill your other sim.  I was getting the same texts and stuff so I called and they said they could cancel the replacement but still said my phone would stop working.  Never received the radiator phone or whatever crap they wanted to send.

It's all ATT fault though, not really on you.

17 hours ago, KingOfTerrible said:

Your mistake was accepting their free replacement...because the terms with that was once you got it there would auto activate it and kill your other sim.  I was getting the same texts and stuff so I called and they said they could cancel the replacement but still said my phone would stop working.  Never received the radiator phone or whatever crap they wanted to send.

It's all ATT fault though, not really on you.

I never 'accepted' it...  Told them I was not interested.  They just sent it.  Never opened the box.

Escalated it through three levels of support...

Was told that they were sure that the 'service' was 'stickier' than the 'phone'...

--

28 minutes ago, theory said:

I never 'accepted' it...  Told them I was not interested.  They just sent it.  Never opened the box.

Escalated it through three levels of support...

Was told that they were sure that the 'service' was 'stickier' than the 'phone'...

--

After 25 years they assumed you were somehow attached, big mistake.  I hope you asked for the number transfer on the same call you were told that, it could then have been used for "training purposes".

On 4/23/2022 at 6:50 AM, theory said:

Didn't have to argue with anyone...

The directions in this thread worked fine...

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2133-fxtec-on-verizon/

--

I would really like to know if that process works now in 2022. I'm planning to buy the X soon, I suppose we'll find out. Will keep everybody posted per usual. Even if I'm able to use it, we're still trying to put together a petition group that forces US carriers to allow any technologically compatible device to operate on their network. That's the main goal here, aside from providing methods to use the Pro1 and X

So I just got a text message about 10 minutes ago from AT&T that says:

Hi, it's AT&T. We said goodbye to our 3G network on Feb. 22, 2022, so we can bring you access to our upgraded network. Your voice network service, including e911 no longer works on device ending in *[MY_NUMBER]*, and you may not have data service. Please call 800.880.8581 or visit a retail store to make changes to your account.

I just tried making a phone call and it still worked... So we'll see how this goes over the next couple days I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 4/10/2022 at 10:02 AM, linparda said:

This is a fabulous post! I am exhausted from battling Google at every turn so I am very interested in the Pro 1 X. I use Mint, which uses T Mobile so I think I will take the plunge but am also offering my signature if it comes to that.

I certainly appreciate that! I'm slowly working on the different methods in the background while we wait for the phones to enter the shipping phase.

I do have one concrete option developed!

Yes, I actually have a for-sure way to get these phones working in full on both Verizon AND at&t. It will also work for any other phone with the correct technology for the carrier you want to use (4glte, 5g, correct bands, and Volte) such as the Unihertz phones or even the BB Key2. But this is not the breaking of chains that we are aiming for with US carriers, this is skirting around their authority. I want to get F(x)tec APPROVED on Verizon for good, along with any other BYOP type device. Changing their policies. And at&t after that, if we succeed.

Anyway, I'm still experimenting for the safest method to achieve success with this one method every time. For this community, I'm leaving it as a last resort if we fail at the original goal. It may involve rooting the device (trying to avoid that), and changing some things around.., and a secondary device available for some particular information, which honestly half the people interested in these are XDA peeps so this may not be an issue. It is perfectly legal in the USA, but it will *appear* shady to alot of people. But for people unfamiliar with serious modification in a phone, I'd say this is not a safe option. You could really mess things up in there. To give some hope though, if it comes down to this method, I will make a well explained, step by step on screen YouTube video on exactly how to accomplish this so everyone can benefit from it. 

I'm trying to use the phones in my personal collection to test these things on, slow going for sure. But it'll speed things up once I have a real pro1 or pro1-X in hand. 

Thank you guys for continued contact and support. It helps to know everyone is still on board

• Like 5
On 4/29/2022 at 2:17 PM, KingOfTerrible said:

So I just got a text message about 10 minutes ago from AT&T that says:

Hi, it's AT&T. We said goodbye to our 3G network on Feb. 22, 2022, so we can bring you access to our upgraded network. Your voice network service, including e911 no longer works on device ending in *[MY_NUMBER]*, and you may not have data service. Please call 800.880.8581 or visit a retail store to make changes to your account.

I just tried making a phone call and it still worked... So we'll see how this goes over the next couple days I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

FYI, almost a week now since that message and pro1 is still working on ATT.

• Haha 1
On 4/21/2022 at 7:34 AM, theory said:

It was reporting as 4G or 4GLTE and HD voice right up until they turned it off...

Went into a Verizon store in Kalamazoo, MI and transferred my number that I've had for 25 years...  They used an older Google Pixel 3 or 4 they had in back and a new SIM card to activate the new account.  After getting it all working on the Pixel, we moved the SIM to the PRO1, changed the settings in the dialer and I've had no issues since...

I've replaced the screen 3 times, and I've a crack again...  But this IS my regular phone for ALL my uses...  The USB charging is a bit wonky now, I have to plug it in, hang it so it dangles by the cord and then reboot it for it to charge...  And use a USB volt/amp meter to be sure it is charging... 

But I love it and use it ALL the time!

Once the X confirms shipping, I'll buy one...

--

--

That is odd...  They just now shut my Sony off a couple days ago.

I have been digging around in AT&T of the people I know that work there and I may have found the group that does device testing.  How would I get Fxtec to send them a phone?  Is one available for testing? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, xman1 said:

How would I get Fxtec to send them a phone?  Is one available for testing? 

I'm pretty sure that if AT&T sent FxTec a request for a device for testing, then FxTec wold be rather likely to be accomodating.

On 5/6/2022 at 6:12 PM, xman1 said:

I got a name and email internally now.  Who would I talk to at FxTec?

Very interesting progress, good job! Hopefully FxTec and at&t can work something out. If not a permanent approval, then atleast a sure way if anyone wants to use at&t, they'll have the resources to make it happen reliably. 

Anybody know people within Verizon? 😅

• Like 1
On 2/23/2022 at 11:27 AM, Fullmetaljacket223 said:

That is very interesting, I'll be curious to see what happens over the next week or two. AT&T cut service to my BB Key2 about 2 weeks ago and wouldn't even discuss turning it back on. 

On 2/18/2022 at 10:32 PM, Fullmetaljacket223 said:

As many people know, the situation in the US for choice of carrier has recently been obliterated.

-T-Mobile is affordable and so far, accepting of most devices. However, they have AWFUL coverage, and once they retire their old network in December 2022, they may also begin cutting off devices.

-AT&T has more or less cut off access to anybody that does not use an AT&T branded LTE/5g device as of the beginning of February. No more bring your own phone. RIP my BB Key2

-That leaves Verizon as the only remaining good option. They have the best coverage anyway, and they are mostly accepting of devices. Starting in March 2022, when they retire their old network, the issue with Verizon for users that want to use foreign devices like the Pro1-X, is that Verizon will only allow LTE/5g devices that are on their 'whitelist'. 

The old methods of using a mule device to activate a sim and transfer it etc, no longer work. They know what device you're using. This brings us to the proposal of the post.

I have read that several people, including myself, have attempted to stress this issue to Fxtec with not much of a response. That leaves the responsibility up to the users. Given persistence with tech support, it has been shown this year that Verizon is willing to work with people to have phones added to their whitelist. They want your business. 

What we are in need of here, is a group of US pro-1/Pro1-X users, or users to be (given the device gets approved), to come together on some level. We can present as a group to Verizon and push for them to approve the devices. It's easy to brush off individuals, it is hard to ignore a passionate group.

What do you people have to say about this? Any suggestions of ways to go about doing this?

These are really powerful corporations. I don't think these international manufacturers want to get involved with American capitalist hegemony. I know that Unihertz tried and failed to get their devices supported by any U.S. carriers. However, I would be down for joining a class-action suit against ATT or others because really they are not allowing us to bring our own device. However, short of litigation, I do not think we have enough power. QWERTY phone people are a very, very, very small segment of their market share. We'd need a good attorney, and that's expensive...Just my two cents. 

• Like 1
On 5/10/2022 at 9:30 PM, HTown said:

These are really powerful corporations. I don't think these international manufacturers want to get involved with American capitalist hegemony. I know that Unihertz tried and failed to get their devices supported by any U.S. carriers. However, I would be down for joining a class-action suit against ATT or others because really they are not allowing us to bring our own device. However, short of litigation, I do not think we have enough power. QWERTY phone people are a very, very, very small segment of their market share. We'd need a good attorney, and that's expensive...Just my two cents. 

I agree with you. They aren't really going to give us the time of day without some serious planning and trick cards. As far as attorneys go, there are enough people concerned with this even outside PKB community that want the same phone freedom. Crowd funding could go a very long way in hiring an incredible attorney to build a solid case for us. 

Prior to getting to that point, we are working on solving negotiations ourselves. Identifying members that have close family or friends on the inside at at&t or Verizon, learning through them how everything works so that we can make more thoroughly thought out movements. 

The fine point of all this is to use the Pro1 and pro1-x on major carriers in the US, and that can be done in several ways that won't require legal action. However, the larger point is the whole idea that we should be able to bring any capable and FCC certified phone to use at any carrier. If we accomplish that, it will definitely take an attorney and some laws and policies being put in place. But it would solve 99% of our issues. 

• Like 2
On 5/11/2022 at 1:30 AM, HTown said:

Fastest way to turn any corporation off to your needs is to talk about a class action.  People like to throw this idea around, but if you actually say this to anyone at any company, they are trained to shut up and not tell you anything after those words are spoken.

As for me...  I needed a new phone.  Got a midrange A52 5G.  Works for now so I am giving up on FxTec.  Spent countless hours clawing back control of this device with the ADB Shell and firewalls and watching who it talked to.  I own the phone finally.  This phone has a 750G in it and it is already just acceptable, so not a fan of the idea of going backwards to a 662 Qualcomm that is half as slow.  The 662 is also a 9 watt part so battery life is going to be poor.  750G is a 5 watt part and I can get several days out of it.

https://nanoreview.net/en/soc-compare/qualcomm-snapdragon-750g-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-662

Waited too long I guess.

Edited by xman1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, KingOfTerrible said:

I can't report on Verizon but my Pro1 is still working just fine on AT&T in central NJ, USA.  I also recently traveled to Charleston SC and Lancaster PA without service issues.

I find this very interesting. Are your voice calls placed via VoLTE? Supposedly shut down their 3G network, but I have my doubts.

If VoLTE, what ROM are you using?

A couple of days ago I ordered an activated AT&T SIM for testing. Since the account is new, I don't expect 3G to function even if the network is still active.