Pro1-X with Ubuntu Touch

On 7/31/2022 at 6:06 AM, esialb said:

I was able to install and use Ubuntu Touch on my Pro1-X after locating the fastboot images on their development server: Jobs · UBports / Porting / Community Ports / android11 / Fxtec Pro1-X / fxtec-pro1x · GitLab. Unzip artifacts.zip for the most recent build, which will have out/boot.img and out/userdata.img.  To install:

unzip artifacts.zip
cd out
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot set_active a
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot set_active a
fastboot continue

So far it's pretty decent.  My intended use for the Pro1-X is pocket computer, not primary phone, and I don't think Ubuntu Touch would make sense as a primary phone.  AT&T blocks my SIM if it's inserted in the Pro1-X anyway, so I can't test phone stuff until I get a T-Mobile SIM.

Mouse and keyboard work over usb-c, but I haven't figured out how to get DP-alt mode working.

Physically, the device solid and well constructed.  The small keyboard is fine for now.  

On 8/15/2022 at 3:08 AM, seven said:

Here are the notes I saved for myself, in case it helps anyone:

How To Flash Ubuntu Touch OS from windows 10:

Download Google USB driver from https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb#InstallingDriver

Extract driver, edit android_winusb.inf and add the following lines, save, close.
;F(x)tec Pro1

%SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

Enable Windows Test Mode to allow modified driver by running this cmd:
bcdedit /set testsigning on

Reboot windows

Enable Developer mode on phone
Open cmd and change to Android adb platform-tools folder
Plug in phone to pc
Run adb devices to confirm phone is listed & authorized
Run adb reboot bootloader

Open Device Manager in Windows and confirm you see Android Device > Android Bootloader Interface

Download latest ubuntu touch os images from here:
https://gitlab.com/ubports/porting/community-ports/android11/fxtec-pro1x/fxtec-pro1x/-/jobs/artifacts/halium-11.0/download?job=devel-flashable

Extract the out folder and place in android platform-tools folder
Run these commands:
fastboot format:ext4 userdata
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot flash recovery out/recovery.img
fastboot reboot fastboot
fastboot flash system_a out/system.img
fastboot flash boot_a out/boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo_a out/dtbo.img
fastboot reboot

The phone reboots.  Unplug from USB.
Run this command to disable Window Test Mode:
bcdedit /set testsigning of

Initial setup on phone, then ran system settings updates to update to latest version of Ubuntu Touch OS. It failed, decided this was good enough.

Links used:
https://community.fxtec.com/topic/3597-pro1-x-with-ubuntu-touch/
https://gitlab.com/ubports/porting/community-ports/android11/fxtec-pro1x/fxtec-pro1x
https://slions.net/threads/lineage-os-for-f-x-tec-pro1.90/
https://community.fxtec.com/topic/3410-fastboot-devices-doesnt-show-my-device/?tab=comments#comment-58694
https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb#InstallingDriver
https://gitlab.com/ubports/porting/community-ports/android11/fxtec-pro1x/fxtec-pro1x/-/jobs

4ghFRviFmfdtvfwqkYUrikMYm6nPgOQNvVLulCR3Pjje70gVumRPwc4aDLoMa9_ryCRxija9RPctXjSno3ZYFZ_zDcuLodxbakqwSHTcu1763bOHc5GKGb_wuboAIRq44_yC3u3UGcJyTKU8x_P9BtU

Could you please both add a warning at the top of your guides, along those lines?

First and foremost, backup your "persist" partition. Better safe than sorry. Instructions are in other guides, Please, do not skip that step, there is no other way back to the vanilla persist partition.

We are seeing more and more users losing their attestation keys because they didn't backup their vanilla partitions before flashing alternate OSes, and some data have been shown to be unique to devices and not auto-regenerated when flashing stock. I'm not saying they come from these guides specifically, but it's really necessary to have a warning on top of each flashing guide until we know if there is a way to regenerate the keys (so far, no).

Edited by matf-kabouik
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, matf-kabouik said:

Could you please both add a warning at the top of your guides, along those lines?

First and foremost, backup your "persist" partition. Better safe than sorry. Instructions are in other guides, Please, do not skip that step, there is no other way back to the vanilla persist partition.

We are seeing more and more users losing their attestation keys because they didn't backup their vanilla partitions before flashing alternate OSes, and some data have been shown to be unique to devices and not auto-regenerated when flashing stock. I'm not saying they come from these guides specifically, but it's really necessary to have a warning on top of each flashing guide until we know if there is a way to regenerate the keys (so far, no).

We have just yesterday learned that this is not enough....

46 minutes ago, Ivaylo Hubanov said:

Is Pro¹X supported by anbox?

Not that.

46 minutes ago, Ivaylo Hubanov said:

What you mean?

Anbox only supports a limited list of android apps. Its translation layer is limited and many Android APIs aren't available on anbox. Specially the APIs required to comunicate with google services.

Still. It is already rather mature. You can always try it and see what kind of compatibility coverage you get 🙂

• 4 months later...

Can some let me know please if i need to enter recovery mode to format userdata than follow steps?

1. Reboot to bootloader, format userdata (if switching from Android) and flash recovery.img from the build artifacts, then reboot to fastbootd mode:
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot flash recovery out/recovery.img
fastboot reboot fastboot
  1. Flash system.img and boot.img, then reboot:
fastboot flash system_a out/system.img
fastboot flash boot_a out/boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo_a out/dtbo.img
fastboot reboot

fastboot format:ext4 userdata not working for me.

Warning: userdata type is f2fs, but ext4 was requested for formatting.
/usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/mke2fs failed with status 1
fastboot: error: Cannot generate image for userdata

Thanks (M_P)

@esialb

On 7/31/2022 at 12:06 PM, esialb said:

unzip artifacts.zip
cd out
fastboot set_active a
fastboot set_active a
fastboot continue

In the current GitLab release there is no userdata.img only: boot.img, dtbo.img, recovery.img, systerm.img

Could you please have a second look.

I can't install UBports at this stage.

(M_P)

Hi all, Can someone please explain the differences between devel-flashable-focal and    
devel-flashable

I flashed devel-flashable-focal no UBports app repo store and terminal 🤔

I followed the steps on GitLab page. On Fedora used sudo for fastboot commands, USB 2 port on a ROG micro ATX (B550-i) the BIOS USB flash back port.  

Using Fedora on a x570 no USB ports would work, no USB 2 ports only headers on board (it would connect and give the sense it should). Firehose for flash back was the same.

Thanks for all for the help

(M_P)

Edited by Milky_Pimms
spelling

focal is a port to ubuntu 20.04 (which is named Focal)

the regular build is based on 16.04 IIRC

for me focal looked better but wifi was broken 😞 sometimes after the flashing I haven't seen the application and I fixed that by doing factory reset with UBPorts Recovery.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @zstas

#2985035568 devel-flashable-focal  Helium 11 20220806 UBports Recovery failed the format data/factory reset. How did you flash regular the build is based on 16.04 IIRC once ubuntu 20.04  was all ready installed?

WiFi is broken, no back light for keyboard, no mobile data, no terminal, no UBport app shop. I see there a some fixes but no terminal to use and no mobile/data or WiFi to download.. SSH or adb to fix ahhhh... I'm not that smart. I will try maybe. 🤕 

(M_P)

Edited by Milky_Pimms
I'm a noob

DO NOT USE #2985035568 devel-flashable-focal

Re-flashed and works well so far used #2985035565 devel-flashable

https://gitlab.com/ubports/porting/community-ports/android11/fxtec-pro1x/fxtec-pro1x/-/jobs

1. Reboot to bootloader, format userdata (if switching from Android) and flash recovery.img from the build artifacts, then reboot to fastbootd mode:
sudo fastboot format:ext4 userdata
sudo fastboot --set-active=a
sudo fastboot flash recovery out/recovery.img
sudo fastboot reboot fastboot
  1. Flash system.img and boot.img, then reboot:
sudo fastboot flash system_a out/system.img
sudo fastboot flash boot_a out/boot.img
sudo fastboot flash dtbo_a out/dtbo.img
sudo fastboot reboot

Terminal, WiFi, location, bluetooth, app store, are there

No moblie data out of the box (should be a easy fix) will update

(Update) just change APN settings to suit carrier and good to go.

Edited by Milky_Pimms
update moblie data working
  • Thanks 1

Can confirmed Libertine works after making image writable (UT Tweak Tool).

Libertine allows you to use standard desktop applications in Ubuntu Touch.To install applications you can use the Settings interface on your Ubuntu Touch device, or the command-line. https://docs.ubports.com/en/latest/userguide/dailyuse/libertine.html

(M_P)

Edited by Milky_Pimms
more info
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I get this error, can you please tell me how to deal with it?

c:\platform-tools>fastboot format:ext4 userdata
Warning: userdata type is f2fs, but ext4 was requested for formatting.
mke2fs 1.46.6-rc1 (12-Sep-2022)
mke2fs: Illegal or malformed device name while trying to determine filesystem size
c:\platform-tools/mke2fs failed: 1
fastboot: error: Cannot generate image for userdata

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, 

Trying to install Ubuntu Touch,  I followed the steps below. At the fifth step (userdata) there was an error, possibly because there was no userdata.img in the artifacts file?
But anyway, after I had aborted the installation there, my Pro1X did not startup anymore. I still can get into the fastboot menu, but after the instruction ´adb devices´ the list remains empty. I use linux mint 21.2 on the PC the Pro1X is connected to. 
I was on Stock Android before starting this operation. Does anyone know what I can do to reestablish contact with the Librem 5? And how I would be able to install UT (and preferrably also Lineage OS) ? As you have probably already noticed already, I´m not very experienced in performing tasks like this :).
Thanks in advance. 

Luke.

unzip artifacts.zip
cd out
fastboot set_active a
fastboot set_active a
fastboot continue

1 hour ago, syncing said:

I still can get into the fastboot menu, but after the instruction ´adb devices´ the list remains empty.

Grasping at straws here, but have you tried with different cables, on different USB ports?  I think USB 2 works better than USB 3 for some people as well.  If you've already had connection then this probably won't help but it won't hurt to try.  I'm not sure what you mean by the Librem 5 reference, typo?  I'm sure someone more clued up on these things will be along in a bit to help sort you out.  The only other thing I could suggest would be a trip to https://forums.ubports.com/ for advice. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...