I was able to install and use Ubuntu Touch on my Pro1-X after locating the fastboot images on their development server: Jobs · UBports / Porting / Community Ports / android11 / Fxtec Pro1-X / fxtec-pro1x · GitLab. Unzip artifacts.zip for the most recent build, which will have out/boot.img and out/userdata.img.  To install:

unzip artifacts.zip
cd out
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot set_active a
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot set_active a
fastboot continue

So far it's pretty decent.  My intended use for the Pro1-X is pocket computer, not primary phone, and I don't think Ubuntu Touch would make sense as a primary phone.  AT&T blocks my SIM if it's inserted in the Pro1-X anyway, so I can't test phone stuff until I get a T-Mobile SIM.

Mouse and keyboard work over usb-c, but I haven't figured out how to get DP-alt mode working.

Physically, the device solid and well constructed.  The small keyboard is fine for now.  

• Thanks 6

Great to hear that it works, strange that the last build looks like it was a month ago (though an actual date would be good as it reads like there were multiple builds within minutes!)

I barely use my phone as a phone (just the occasional call or text) so if it works it's good enough, but I'd like to know why you think it isn't a good option without even being able to try 🙂

• Like 1

Regarding Ubuntu Touch as a phone, perhaps I can further specify that I do not expect to replace my existing phone, but instead to add to it.  UT seems to me like a "linux tablet that also has a phone" experience.  I'll customize it and see how it goes.  I expect the Pro1X to be fun rather than utilitarian, and fun for me means experiments and breakage that won't fly for a primary communications device for someone with children.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Index of /uploads/pro1x/ubuntu-touch (robinkirkman.com)

There are some bugs, such as shutdown through the gui not actually shutting it down.  ("sudo shutdown -h -P now" works in a terminal)  Also the keymap is not right; it seems to assume the mappings on a standard US-English keyboard; the labels on the Pro1X disagree with the characters typed in some cases; it seems that the Pro1X function key doesn't do anything, so it's not possible to type a blackslash (Fn+P).  Everything works over ssh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Hi all, 

I've been watching from the sidelines for a little while, so I should probably introduce myself.  

Electrical Engineer from Manchester UK now settled in Tauranga NZ, currently driving a beaten up Cosmo Communicator running Ubuntu Touch (dropped it, radios stopped working, still a nice PDA) looking for a replacement with working telephony, Ubuntu Touch, and a keyboard of course.  

Nice to see the Pro1-X finally rolling out, despite some serious issues beyond F(x)Tec control. Really great to see pics of a Pro1-X running UT, and so shiny fresh out of the box.  

It's a gorgeous looking thing. I think it may be time to retire the Cosmo and get the credit card out.  

• Like 3