Droidian released for Pro1 and Pro1-X

I saw today that both Pros are supported in the current release of Droidian
https://github.com/droidian-images/droidian/releases/tag/droidian%2Fbookworm%2F24

Droidian is a GNU/Linux distribution based on top of Mobian, a Debian-based distribution for mobile devices. The goal of Droidian is to be able to run Mobian on Android phones.

AFAIK we should use the fastboot images to flash.

1. Backup your persist partition
  2. Download the realease
  3. Unpack zip
  4. Use flash_all.sh

---

First and foremost, backup your "persist" partition. Better safe than sorry. Instructions are in other guides, Please, do not skip that step, there is no other way back to the vanilla persist partition.

We are seeing more and more users losing their attestation keys because they didn't backup their vanilla partitions before flashing alternate OSes, and some data have been shown to be unique to devices and not auto-regenerated when flashing stock. I'm not saying they come from this thread specifically, but it's really necessary to have a warning on top of each flashing guide until we know if there is a way to regenerate the keys (so far, no).

Edited by Benni
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw today that both Pros are supported in the current release of Droidian https://github.com/droidian-images/droidian/releases/tag/droidian%2Fbookworm%2F24   AFAIK we should use the fastboo

Hi, Eugenio from Droidian here: Did you happen to run a dist-upgrade via the command line before doing that? Unfortunately there is an ongoing GNOME migration in Debian testing that required re

I received a blue Pro1x today and was planning on flashing it on it tonight, but got a bit sidetracked with LXC containers in SFOS. I have Droidian on a Pro1 and it's really nice and flexible, the mai

Posted Images

I didn't spend a ton of time in Droidian, as I'm actaully quite enjoying using the Android ROM as a daily driver so far, but I did flash it and give it a go. I like that it has a real version of Firefox in which I can install & use extensions. The maps app isn't the worst map app I've ever used. There's a native Telegram app that actually works and may be usable in landscape mode with just a little tiny bit of UI tweaking. Location services worked great. Did not seem to suck down much more battery than the stock ROM. 

The actual Gnome interface is pretty bad in landscape mode, which is where my phone primarily resides. The camera doesn't work (which is typical on these early-stage ROMs, so no biggie.) Torch doesn't work. Haven't tried with a SIM card yet, so I'll re-visit that when I activate service on another card.

The software selection seemed shockingly much better than Ubuntu Touch. I have a Pixel 3a that I've been running UT on for a while, and now that I'm seeing it's no longer officially supported by Droidain, I'm saddened a bit that I hadn't found it earlier. The current UT ROM that's out there seems to work better with landscape mode, but the app selection on Droidian was just so much better that it's officially the OS I'm most excited to follow.

• Thanks 4

Thanks for this heads-up.

Having my Pro1 so nicely set-up as daily driver almost feels like a burden, now. If I only had a spare Pro1 or Pro1X for tinkering with such promising projects ...

At first glance, I can find no review or video online about Droidian even for the original Pro1, which is strange given it is one of the only three officially supported devices ...

@steeb did you test on Pro1 or Pro1X?

• Like 2

I received a blue Pro1x today and was planning on flashing it on it tonight, but got a bit sidetracked with LXC containers in SFOS. I have Droidian on a Pro1 and it's really nice and flexible, the main issue being battery life which is not optimized yet. I'll be playing with it on the Pro1x over the night or the week-end, for sure. I was only waiting for the delivery to test it.

[Edit]

photo_2022-08-18_01-17-45.thumb.jpg.0c0083eb2477dd694c7aeb3c182413a8.jpg

Edited by matf-kabouik
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

ok then I know what I will do when Pro1-x arrived...can't wait to test Droidian on it, looks promising ! 😄
Also, thanks for sharing your progress here, so nice !

Edited by raymo
13 hours ago, Benni said:

I saw today that both Pros are supported in the current release of Droidian
https://github.com/droidian-images/droidian/releases/tag/droidian%2Fbookworm%2F24

AFAIK we should use the fastboot images to flash.

1. Download the realease
  2. Unpack zip
  3. Use flash_all.sh

Could you please both add a warning at the top of your post, along those lines?

First and foremost, backup your "persist" partition. Better safe than sorry. Instructions are in other guides, Please, do not skip that step, there is no other way back to the vanilla persist partition.

We are seeing more and more users losing their attestation keys because they didn't backup their vanilla partitions before flashing alternate OSes, and some data have been shown to be unique to devices and not auto-regenerated when flashing stock. I'm not saying they come from this thread specifically, but it's really necessary to have a warning on top of each flashing guide until we know if there is a way to regenerate the keys (so far, no).

Edited by matf-kabouik
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
17 hours ago, claude0001 said:

@steeb did you test on Pro1 or Pro1X?

I have Droidian on a Pro1 since last year, and on a Pro1x since last night. Droidian hasn't been a daily driver for me (mostly due to battery life and the fact that I'm not friend with the ergonomics of Phosh) so I don't know everything about it, but feel free to ask questions.

I have played with it somewhat actively last year to get alternate WMs working (Sway doable with some work, and with issues, i3wm doable too with a X hack), LXC (doable with Sway as WM but the keyboard mapping caused issues for my keybindings), Waydroid (Droidian may have the best support for it), or simply installing native Debian programs. Not much "real use" experience with Phosh, however.

So far, the experience looks fairly similar on Pro1x, I'd rate the two ports as almost equivalent (with more things being experimental on Halium 11, though), but I haven't spent much time on it yet.

Edited by matf-kabouik
  • Thanks 3

@steeb

$ ./flash_all.sh 
I: Waiting for a suitable device
I: Flashing data/boot.img
Sending 'boot_a' (34328 KB)                        OKAY [  1.318s]
Writing 'boot_a'                                   OKAY [  0.173s]
Finished. Total time: 1.528s
Sending 'boot_b' (34328 KB)                        OKAY [  1.262s]
Writing 'boot_b'                                   OKAY [  0.132s]
Finished. Total time: 1.419s
I: Flashing data/dtbo.img
Sending 'dtbo_a' (119 KB)                          OKAY [  0.013s]
Writing 'dtbo_a'                                   OKAY [  0.002s]
Finished. Total time: 0.021s
Sending 'dtbo_b' (119 KB)                          OKAY [  0.010s]
Writing 'dtbo_b'                                   OKAY [  0.002s]
Finished. Total time: 0.020s
I: Flashing data/vbmeta.img
Sending 'vbmeta_a' (4 KB)                          OKAY [  0.002s]
Writing 'vbmeta_a'                                 OKAY [  0.001s]
Finished. Total time: 0.011s
Sending 'vbmeta_b' (4 KB)                          OKAY [  0.009s]
Writing 'vbmeta_b'                                 OKAY [  0.001s]
Finished. Total time: 0.017s
I: Flashing data/userdata.img
Sending sparse 'userdata' 1/5 (765895 KB)          OKAY [ 28.968s]
Writing 'userdata'                                 OKAY [  0.000s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 2/5 (766853 KB)          OKAY [ 29.766s]
Writing 'userdata'                                 OKAY [  0.001s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 3/5 (786428 KB)          OKAY [ 30.026s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 4/5 (784985 KB)          OKAY [ 30.046s]
Sending sparse 'userdata' 5/5 (222389 KB)          OKAY [  8.782s]
Writing 'userdata'                                 OKAY [  0.001s]
Finished. Total time: 127.816s
Rebooting                                          OKAY [  1.628s]
Finished. Total time: 1.878s
I: Flashing completed

• Thanks 2

@matf-kabouik i confirmed it is the pro1x image

thanks @tschakram. I thought that would work but I get the same result. Droidian logo appears, pulses briefly then dims slightly and disappears. I'm running these commands.

╭╴╴╴liquidvx@UX482:~/Downloads/droidian/droidian-OFFICIAL-phosh-phone-fxtec_pro1x-api30-arm64-24_20220804  
╰╴$ fastboot format:ext4 userdata
Warning: userdata type is raw, but ext4 was requested for formatting.
mke2fs 1.46.2 (28-Feb-2021)
Creating filesystem with 59072979 4k blocks and 14770176 inodes
Filesystem UUID: 102e9c78-666e-4084-8ba7-6ed2902f2a66
Superblock backups stored on blocks: 
	32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208, 
	4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872

Allocating group tables: done                            
Writing inode tables: done                            
Creating journal (262144 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done     

Sending 'userdata' (1040 KB)                       OKAY [  0.028s]
Writing 'userdata'                                 OKAY [  0.022s]
Finished. Total time: 0.249s

then 

$ ./flash_all.sh

output the same as above

EDIT:

So it may be an issue with my device, or something i did to it while trying different OSes. No OS I am flashing now can get past the logo, even known, previously working images.

yeah it was messed up partitions. reflashed the paritions with fastboot and its all good now

Edited by liquidvx
  • Like 1

droidian-OFFICIAL-phosh-phone-fxtec_pro1x-api30-arm64-24_20220804

I run

sudo ./flash_all.sh

but I only get this output:

E: No supported device found

I'm still on stock Android like delivered. Developer option and USB-Debugging are enabled.

What do I miss?

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, davidatfxtec said:

I powered-off my device yesterday. Today I pressed the power button to start it again. After I insert my encryption password, I see shortly the debian logo, than the screen stays black. Nothing is happening than.

This might be a known issue: https://github.com/droidian-images/droidian/releases

Slow offline slot switch

During offline kernel updates (i.e. triggered via the Software app), the device
might take some minutes to reboot after doing a "slot switch". When this happens,
the display stays black until it eventually reboots.

In this case, it's possible to trigger an hard reboot by pressing Vol-Down and Power.

• Thanks 1

Hi, Eugenio from Droidian here:

12 hours ago, davidatfxtec said:

I powered-off my device yesterday. Today I pressed the power button to start it again. After I insert my encryption password, I see shortly the debian logo, than the screen stays black. Nothing is happening than.

Did you happen to run a dist-upgrade via the command line before doing that? Unfortunately there is an ongoing GNOME migration in Debian testing that required rebuilding of some packages (both in the Droidian side and Mobian side). It might have happened that a dist-upgrade would have asked you to remove some packages such as phosh/phoc.

The Droidian-side packages have already been rebuilt, for the rest we should wait Debian/Mobian. It will sort itself out in a few days.
To aid that, I've pushed an hotfix that will help in keeping the installed system coherent:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade

...should do the trick. Or, as said above, just wait a couple of days and it will solve by itself.

Usually these kind of things are announced in the Telegram group. I'll try my best to keep you folks updated should something similar happen again (which is rare and is the flip side of basing off Debian testing 😃)

As for your existing installation, you have the following choices:

* If you were just testing things out and have no important data, just reflash. Running the above three commands should be enough to avoid further trouble

* If you flashed a nightly image, you should be able to get in via SSH, either via WiFi  (even if the display stays black, NetworkManager should be up) or via RNDIS (ip is 10.15.19.82). In both cases you can get in via the `droidian` user, and using your PIN as password

* On "snapshot" images, SSH is optional and is not installed by default. You can flash the recovery image available inside the zipfile you downloaded to install Droidian. Once booted into recovery, you can get in via either telnet or ssh (ip is 192.168.2.15, ssh user is root)

Just ask if you have any doubts, sorry for that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I'm not able to re-flash.

When I really long press Vol-Down and Power I see the android robot with the comment "No command". Here I can execute the following commands - but without success. This is the only mode where the device is detected from my pc.

$ sudo adb kill-server
$ sudo adb start-server
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
$ sudo adb devices     
List of devices attached
********    unauthorized
$ sudo adb reboot bootloader
error: device unauthorized.
This adb server's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set
Try 'adb kill-server' if that seems wrong.
Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.

Edited by davidatfxtec

FTW.. to get into Fastboot Mode via buttons is really difficult. But after several trys with different timings it worked like described:

"Then pick your clacky Pro1x, power it down, hold down [Volume -] and [Power] until it boots. It will show a dead droid logo. From there, hold [Power] and without releasing it, hit [Volume +] briefly with another finger. From the menu that just appeared, select Bootloader. The phone will reboot into bootloader mode, where you can use fastboot commands"

I'm back with DROIDIAN. 🤓

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
28 minutes ago, davidatfxtec said:

FTW.. to get into Fastboot Mode via buttons is really difficult. But after several trys with different timings it worked like described:

"Then pick your clacky Pro1x, power it down, hold down [Volume -] and [Power] until it boots. It will show a dead droid logo. From there, hold [Power] and without releasing it, hit [Volume +] briefly with another finger. From the menu that just appeared, select Bootloader. The phone will reboot into bootloader mode, where you can use fastboot commands"

Interesting menu!

Another way to get there is executing
adb reboot bootloader
(When adb is available only obviously)

1 hour ago, davidatfxtec said:

Ha, I was about to reply, but I recognize this excerpt above. 👀

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, davidatfxtec said:

Glad that you managed to reflash!

You should be able to reliably reach fastboot mode directly by powering down the device and then holding down [Vol-], while plugging in an USB cable.

• Thanks 2