Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

32 minutes ago, ducksoup said:

This case does not activate automatic screen on/off, but that problem is easily resolved with WaveUp.

There IS a sensor in the screen for it, though we do not (yet) have something that can make it turn the display off, as we do for the Pro1 - thanks to @Slion - let us hope he finds a way to do it for the Pro1X too.

On the thickness, I usually cut out the credit-card part, this gives a little extra space.
(and the case usually is stiffened by some cardboard, so you can bend it to get a better fit)
Squeeze-300x91.png
https://eskerahn.dk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/BendCase.png

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

• 6 months later...

I have no idea if this case is already in this thread.  I don't like cases, but I like bumpers and back protection, to protect from scraping rather than dropping, although TPU bumpers help there. On My Pro1 it was easy to find a matte black skin that fit, which was easy as you almost can't tell my Pro1 has anything on it.  But I liked the Pro1x's color and couldn't find a skin that did it justice.

So I got this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N6C258G

Fits nicely, not to hard to hack up to properly accommodate buttons and speakers and headphone jack and USB port. The camera window is just slightly off, but doesn't interfere with the lens and flash,  And it lets that lovely color on the back shine through.  My hacks aren't super pretty if you look close, but someone with good tools and a steady hand can probably make it look almost professional.  And, best of all, no interference with the keyboard sliding out.

Very strong TPU (which is why better tools than I have could be an advantage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yup, that about looks like mine. Apparently, we both attended the same School of Xacto and we must've left early🙂

As for my auxiliary black case, I just use that for protection when I throw it in the car, etc. The phone isn't fastened to it. I don't have room in my pants pockets for wallet, daily driver, and the Pro1x. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jakfish said:

Yup, that about looks like mine. Apparently, we both attended the same School of Xacto and we must've left early🙂

As for my auxiliary black case, I just use that for protection when I throw it in the car, etc. The phone isn't fastened to it. I don't have room in my pants pockets for wallet, daily driver, and the Pro1x. 

In summer, when I don't have jacket pockets, my pro1x is in my left front jeans pocket, my wallet and keys in my right front Jeans pocket and, since I am going to the car, my Moto Verizon slab is in my back jeans pocket.  The Moto immediately comes out and is hooked up to the dashboard to provide Android Auto for calls and mapping. 🙂

• Like 1

Interestigly, Amazon presented me with this link today.  They make very strong claims about it working with the Pro1x.  Since I find it unlikely it was actually designed for the pro1x, I assume it uses some kind of grip rather than a TPU bumper as that would explain all buttons and pports being available.

Not what I want, but thought others might be interested and found it interesting they focused on the Pro1x.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N3ZHT3R

4 hours ago, Hook said:

interesting they focused on the Pro1x.

They might focus on the Pro1x - they sure haven't pictured it with the Pro1x! So I defo wouldn't trust it to fit or work properly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, Tim6263 said:

They might focus on the Pro1x - they sure haven't pictured it with the Pro1x! So I defo wouldn't trust it to fit or work properly

That was kind of my point. The only way it would be proper for all the ports and buttons is if it's a universal case that didn't have anything designed for either ports or buttons. I just was curious why they decided to market it for a low volume hard to get phone. 😉

• Like 1

@Hook @Tim6263 -- yeah, that's the same one I have. I wrote it up here in another thread, which I can't find. Long story short: the camera hole is cut on the wrong side; if you fastened it down according to the instructions, you would have to use the kb with the open cover in front of the kb, rather than at the back of the phone (and out of the way).

That said, I use it with the phone unfastened to the case, simply for protection when traveling, and I'm glad I bought it. Sleek and minimal.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

That was kind of my point. The only way it would be proper for all the ports and buttons is if it's a universal case that didn't have anything designed for either ports or buttons. I just was curious why they decided to market it for a low volume hard to get phone. 😉

We have previously seen universal cases that comes with an adhesive foil..

61xM8QTaqsL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jakfish said:

As an addendum: even if the holes were cut correctly, I doubt any adhesive tape could safely hold anything as heavy as a Pro1x.

Well it is not hard to get good adhesives. The big question if it has a good balance on keeping it stuck on one hand, and being removable on the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon Canada recommended a great case for my pro1x that fits exceptionally well. The only downfall is that you have to take off the case if you want to use the slide out keyboard. The holes are all in the correct places and line up pretty good. There are these little tabs you can cut out to extend to some of the buttons at ease. Check out the case below:

https://a.co/d/8ZHO0Qj

Edited by mangled
  • Haha 1
On 7/28/2023 at 10:20 PM, mangled said:

The only downfall is that you have to take off the case if you want to use the slide out keyboard.

And if you do not want to use the keyboard, you can get a lot more value for the same money from other models...

But that apart, it could still be an interesting protecting case for e.g. transportation, or while using it say on a bike for GPS navigation. They are available outside Canada. Just change the .ca top domain in the link to one suitable for you, e.g. .de: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0B8S1BC74

And the price does not seem that bad: €16.50 with shipping.

• 4 months later...

The old Psion case has begun to look a little tatty, so I thought I'd treat myself to a new belt case for my little Prawn, so I went on the hunt.  I came across this one on Ebay:  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/225439458956

It doesn't have the Pro1 or Pro1X listed as a supported model, but the seller has lots of good feedback, it's the style I want, it's real leather, and I like the look of the thing, so fairly promising.  

I took a punt and ordered one, selecting a phone model from the drop down list that I thought was there or there abouts on dimensions, (Xiaomi Poco M3).  A bit longer, a bit wider, not quite as thick, I figured a bit of give and take as the leather 'beds in' would work out.  As we say in NZ 'She'll be right'.  

Then I had a crisis of confidence and contacted the vendor, as I thought I may have made a mistake and wasted $50.  I got an immediate response, (if you allow for time zones :classic_smile:), asking a couple of questions, concerned about the Prawn thickness, and talking about stretching and moulding.  He seemed genuinely concerned and interested, like a real person, so I'm going to answer his questions, see how it goes, and report back here.  

If it's a nice case when it turns up I'll probably order a spare one.  I wonder if they make wallets and shoes. 

Edited by MonCon
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, MonCon said:

If it's a nice case when it turns up I'll probably order a spare one.  I wonder if they make wallets and shoes. 

Interesting! Though It does seem like the cut out for easy push up could leave display exposed. So it might be a good idea to always turn the display against the body, to reduce the risk.

I wonder why they did not make the flap a bit longer to protect.

5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Interesting! Though It does seem like the cut out for easy push up could leave display exposed. So it might be a good idea to always turn the display against the body, to reduce the risk.

I wonder why they did not make the flap a bit longer to protect.

I always carry mine in the belt case with the glass side towards me.  I figure I'm generally better padded than most of the things I could bump into, especially around the waist.  

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Juanjeste said:

Hello, has anyone found a casing, cover or something to protect the Pro1-x. I can't find anything worth it

I moved your post to this long thread, which covers both the Pro 1 and Pro1X.  You will see there is no one perfect solution and mostly you have to take something and hack it up a bit.  I really like the clear case I hacked up a couple of pages back in this thread, but there are many alternatives.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Juanjeste said:

Hello, has anyone found a casing, cover or something to protect the Pro1-x. I can't find anything worth it

Ready made no.
You can easily modify existing ones. Also 3D print recipes are available. Browse through this thread.

• Like 1