Jump to content

Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

The numbers are edited into the pictures on the bottom right. The order is: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3

Ah! I had to purposely look there to see them. I have a hard time finding things when there's low contrast 😝

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Posted Images

Currently working on a new low profile bookcase, I reckon I still have like 12 hours of stitching to go through. I had to remove the stitches to be able to incorporate the smartcase magnet, move the closure magnet to accommodate for the Pro1 thickness and customize the back panel to enable kickstand feature.

Compress_20211010_103104_4727.thumb.jpg.782f7949cf5e8f30f9a9aa49b9e71a02.jpg

Compress_20211010_103105_5023.thumb.jpg.9d8df7c9e869a261881bc2171623dd5f.jpg

Compress_20211010_103105_5243.thumb.jpg.44f8d254962b10fed0c48c006eff6a7f.jpg

Compress_20211010_103105_5572.thumb.jpg.e754b480ee485ffd9a6cce765efd9ebc.jpg

Compress_20211010_103105_5821.thumb.jpg.f8f68a958d72c451ee68286a78436fde.jpg

Compress_20211010_104413_3137.thumb.jpg.6f50777976bb5546da340c031861bf0d.jpg

Compress_20211010_104412_2794.thumb.jpg.2ca4769252f2aae976045f8b1113e563.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Done with stitching. I love the leather quality, really soft, one of the best I've seen. I need to finish the cutouts on the bumper case and glue it to the leather. Will hopefully get around it tomorrow. The case is 75g that's 25g lighter than the one I've been using so far. Moreover I reckon its lower profile will be more confortable to use, notably when the keyboard is open. The closing latch is on the front panel which is a rarely seen design. As a result when closed it won't lay flat on it's back which should make the phone easier to pick up, not that this was ever a problem considering the thickness of our Pro1s. I really wonder what it will be like to use.

Compress_20211011_225945_5222.thumb.jpg.0cfa5208d21577a9856cd91b7c439c63.jpgCompress_20211011_225945_5435.thumb.jpg.de3192178b0e315f9063c91f3ce02c94.jpg

Edited by Slion
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, EvilDNA127 said:

 

That looks quite amazing.

I really like it too, though the closing strap on the front panel does take some getting used to. It has both pros and cons. I should get used to it after a couple of weeks I reckon. Still I could not prevent myself from making plans in my head on how to modify that case so that the strap is attached to the back panel 😁 However it will be a while before I attempt something like that again, if ever. That was a lot of stitching...

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slion said:

I really like it too, though the closing strap on the front panel does take some getting used to. It has both pros and cons. I should get used to it after a couple of weeks I reckon. Still I could not prevent myself from making plans in my head on how to modify that case so that the strap is attached to the back panel 😁 However it will be a while before I attempt something like that again, if ever. That was a lot of stitching...

If you should endeavour in the project again, you should consider the variant where the straps meet at the side

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2681-how-to-openshut-the-pro1/?do=findComment&comment=42061

Whether is should open as a 'Japanese' or 'western' book is a matter of taste of course.


 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One issue I have with that case is that it seems to deposit a lot of dust on the screen. I'm thinking it is caused by the inside leather layer which has a nubuck or suede finish not sure which one. I'll attempt to clean it with a some tape hoping it will improve things. Moreover I'm expecting that layer to become smoother overtime which should fix the issue, though that could take months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Slion said:

One issue I have with that case is that it seems to deposit a lot of dust on the screen. I'm thinking it is caused by the inside leather layer which has a nubuck or suede finish not sure which one. I'll attempt to clean it with a some tape hoping it will improve things. Moreover I'm expecting that layer to become smoother overtime which should fix the issue, though that could take months.

Honestly, I've never seen a case that doesn't end up capturing dust on whatever surface it covers.  One of the many reasons I won't use cases. 😉

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Hook said:

Honestly, I've never seen a case that doesn't end up capturing dust on whatever surface it covers.  One of the many reasons I won't use cases. 😉

I agree. The back of my daily driver is most likely just as worn as if I had not used a case. Though the wear with a case is 'spotted'.

Attach01.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Slion said:

Still I could not prevent myself from making plans in my head on how to modify that case so that the strap is attached to the back pane

This. That's also the most annoying issue I have with my flap case, which otherwise serves me well (see earlier in this thread). The strap is somehow always in the way, especially when taking pictures in landscape orientation.

When opening the flap by 360° it is possible to get the strap magnet to attach itself to the flap "in reverse", which gets both out of the way. But you obviously can't take pictures in that configuration.

What's more: in my case the magnet of the strap is exposed (i.e. not embedded in the leather, like in yours). Believe it or not, it has left scratches on the screen by now (Magneto: "Take that, Gorilla Glass 3 (tm)!"). Argh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hook said:

Honestly, I've never seen a case that doesn't end up capturing dust on whatever surface it covers.

 

1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

I agree. The back of my daily driver is most likely just as worn as if I had not used a case.

 

Guys ... you do need to clean your gear from time to time! 😄

Ever heard of this (famously quoted in Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket")? Different device, same approach. 😉

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, claude0001 said:

This. That's also the most annoying issue I have with my flap case, which otherwise serves me well (see earlier in this thread). The strap is somehow always in the way, especially when taking pictures in landscape orientation.

Well, that's not an issue with my latest case as the strap is on the front panel. I'm actually starting to like that strap. I'm somewhat a lefty and it turns out I mostly grab my phone with the left hand and with that design I can actually grab the phone, unlock the strap with the thumb and open the case one handed. I reckon I could also swipe the fingerprint reader in the same move, just need to register that part of my thumb.

One drawback of the missing strap on the back panel is that I can't lock my phone safely in the car mount anymore... I guess I'll have to find another car mount.

Edited by Slion
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Guys ... you do need to clean your gear from time to time! 😄

Though it does not look like it, it IS clean. it is dust&pocketlint that have crept into the case, that have 'sanded' down small areas of the back

In hindsight it would have been wise to add a small sheet of some tissue between the TPU-casing and the Pro1

R1091393_crop.jpg

And though the above might look like deep dents, they are so shallow I can hardly feel any difference sliding a fingertip over the back

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms