Looks better. And even if PRINTED as YellowArrow (we almost need a BBCode for that one *LOL* ), the strokes of the ones on the second lowest and the top row could ALSO be made available by shift, to make the functionality closer to the PC-experience, that is in software let BOTH YellowArrow+8 and Shift+8 give the same "(".

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You obviously can only have one keyboard layout at a time, which is what that language switch is for. But you can have multiple languages for autocorrection active at the same time, for example with S

And did you try the Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard? Because both @Rob. S. and me suggested that one to you now and I'm not sure if you actually tried it. At least on LineageOS 17.1 it works well apart fr

SWIFTKEY WORKS! it opens a total new settings menu that was previously totally hidden

I like this.

I'll pretend I helped.

One little thing that comes to mind seeing German labels on this: The Caps Lock key looks a little bit out of place.

Going with the German Feststelltaste obviously isn't an option since it's very long and would be odd anyways.

What you typically see is a downwards arrow as a label instead, like this: ⇩

However, there isn't anything set in stone for this, so sometimes you have ⇪ instead. It looks like there are also some keyboard that have a German layout but keep English labels for some reason.

I'd gravitate towards ⇩ as a label, since that's what I'm used to. In the end it's a bit of nitpicking though. What do you think?

Oh and regarding the keyboard labels including QWERTY: I know the SYM key will probably get booted off as mentioned in another post, but just in case... don't you think it's kinda odd to have it be in all caps as the only label on the entire keyboard?

Okay, enough of me nitpicking.

My German is limited I am afraid! My classes obviously didn’t go that far :D

*LOL* Same here we both lack "German abbreviations I".

My first thought was "Strange" *LOL*

(it stands for "Steuerung" though - etymologically same word as English "steering")

It is really cool tro see how you're implementing more and more design wishes =)

As someone already pointed out: It would still be nice if there was a downward arrow instead of Caps.

[attachment file=12599]

And as also someone said before: If the SYM button stays it would look better if the print was reading Sym instead of the all caps version.

And as also someone said before: If the SYM button stays it would look better if the print was reading Sym instead of the all caps version.

Agree on that one, it just looks odd in my eyes, also on the QWERTY.

How about this suggestion? What’s your opinions?

This guy's change makes no sense to me. He moved # to FN+3 and removed § for no reason. This deviates from QWERTZ and I don't see why you would do that, especially removing a symbol.

Regarding Caps using the pointing down arrow… Is that a common one on German language / keyboard?

I brought it up anyways, but yeah, I'd say this is fairly common. I went browsing keyboards to confirm my experience and the majority has something like that, some a diffferent kind of arrow and a few say "Caps" or even "Capslk". This varies between brands and even within the same brand sometimes.

So as I said it's not a dealbreaker but perhaps worth considering.

The German norm DIN 2137 describing German QWERTZ appears to use the downwards arrow as it's most common, but I can't confirm that since you can't read that without buying it.

But I'm repeating myself. This is nitpicking territory imo. Current version is already very good.

Regarding Caps using the pointing down arrow… Is that a common one on German language / keyboard?

I think there are many variants, not limited to German

Here is another one

The aPple guys seem to like this variant

The REASON for the at first odd arrow down stems back from the time of typewriters, before the up arrow was used for Shift, and Shift-Lock was a key that physically stayed down, and forced the whole set of arms to shift up, so we got the lower symbol of each hammer when hitting the roll, and thus had the upper case letters AND the symbols on the number keys active.

See e.g. this

(the shift lock was released pressing shift)

ADD: And BTW this is also why the term "Shift" is used as it shifted the whole set of arms, and was held up while holding it pressing one of the shift-keys with a pinky.

<twitter-widget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 550px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="1116404998093647872"></twitter-widget>

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

How about this suggestion? What’s your opinions?

Capslock is also very common in German-based layouts. I as a Swiss am used to the capslock not the arrow. I would not bother with that and just go for capslock on all keyboards. But that is just my personal opinion.

One question to the suggested Layout: Why is the order of the brackets like that: { [ ] } and not like thath { } [ ].

It is not a big problem but seems rather special.

Btw, I personnally prefer SYM, ALT, STRG, ENT, ESC

as all caps version :-)

Personally do not mind if they use Sym/SYM/sym, as long as it is the same format on all the keys with text. I don't like a mix like "Strg"+"SYM" :)

My German is limited I am afraid! My classes obviously didn’t go that far :D

*LOL* Same here we both lack “German abbreviations I”.

My first thought was “Strange” *LOL*

(it stands for “Steuerung” though – etymologically same word as English “steering”)

Actually, steering is Lenkung (used for vehicles).

Steuerung is control.

Actually, steering is Lenkung (used for vehicles).

Oh, sorry if I was unclear: Etymologically the same, and also etymologically the same as the Danish variant "Styring", that in Danish can be used both for steering and control (Though we also have "Kontrol", but that is leaning more towards checking than handling). It is so funny how words that some time back in history have been the same can slowly change differently in different languages or dialects. Yes, I have a soft spot for etymology :)

One question to the suggested Layout: Why is the order of the brackets like that: { [ ] } and not like thath { } [ ].

It is not a big problem but seems rather special.

Below a crop from a PC QWERTZ keyboards, so it is to get close to that.

Yes, I have a soft spot for etymology :)

Only ignorant people do not <3

"Kontrolle" or the verb "kontrollieren" in german has a subset meaning that would cover the function of the "control" button but is not used like this in german. The supervise/check/monitor meaning is the dominant as in danish as i now learned from you.

Steuerung is not even perfect though, the function would need the verb "steuern" to make complete sense. The english control is also the verb form but makes no difference. Most people even say "steuer + V" when meaning "Steuerung + V". Concluding in Str/STR/str would be the most appropriate nerdy but uncommon solution.

Imo "Die Steuerung" suggests a whole controlpanel/steering-device/controlunit and is slightly since forever.

We better have symbols *LOL*

Yep. Agreed.

Preventing the "denglish" mix up when using shift and caps/caplk side by side with strg/entf was the reason for me taking action and critize the first version Chen posted on twitter.

The word Umschalten is super hard to shorten. Umschlt or Umslt read hilariously in german and are not much shorter.

I am all for full symbol use where possible.

And like you said, please no mix up in cases. My favourite would be all small caps since all of them are verbs(?)