Jump to content
EskeRahn

Apps that works great with a real keyboard and in landscape

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Craig said:

 

Screenshot_20191216-153350.png

If I touch that gray bar at the bottom of your screen and push up with my finger, it scrolls up to reveal the color palatte.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hook said:

If I touch that gray bar at the bottom of your screen and push up with my finger, it scrolls up to reveal the color palatte.

Ok, confirmed, user error.  I didnt try that; I tried tapping on it, double tapping, triple tapping, I tried scrolling up and down from the middle of the screen like normal, etc.  Didnt try dragging that bar up.   (Note under portrait, that bar doesnt even appear, when I  select 'Background Color' the palette comes up right away.)

Edited by Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So besides the game supertux https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.lethargik.supertux2 I've got another app worth adding.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/be.ppareit.swiftp_free/

This is just a simple ftp server, but setting it up works fine in landscape with keyboard.  You'll probably want it after a few days of using Pro¹ getting tired of hooking up USB cable to transfer files.  Also the plus side of getting it from f-droid vs playstore is -  no ads at all.

While I'm suggesting apps, the F-Droid app works good in landscape with keyboard too, makes searching easy.   It's an app-store / repository for free & open source software.  I always check there for apps before play store, sometimes the same app on both but the version from play store will have ads or require payment, whereas f-droid version won't.  Download from https://f-droid.org/

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Craig said:

So besides the game supertux https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.lethargik.supertux2 I've got another app worth adding.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/be.ppareit.swiftp_free/

This is just a simple ftp server, but setting it up works fine in landscape with keyboard.  You'll probably want it after a few days of using Pro¹ getting tired of hooking up USB cable to transfer files.  Also the plus side of getting it from f-droid vs playstore is -  no ads at all.

While I'm suggesting apps, the F-Droid app works good in landscape with keyboard too, makes searching easy.   It's an app-store / repository for free & open source software.  I always check there for apps before play store, sometimes the same app on both but the version from play store will have ads or require payment, whereas f-droid version won't.  Download from https://f-droid.org/

Is a recommendation in anyway, have a look at newpipe while you are there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About the launchers, is there a launcher that supports totally different setups on portrait and landscape screens? I'm having an issue with calendar/agenda widget (any of them, and this would basically apply to any other widget out there, but in my case it's the calendar). I'd like to have the calendar widget enlarged to the whole portrait screen, with only clock in the header and app drawer on footer. But I can't enlarge the calendar widget this big (even if I completely remove the clock widget), and I believe that it's because of the calendar widget wouldn't fit to landscape screen. Which would be fine to me, as I would rather have some other widget on landscape screen. But does the launcher (all of them) always mirror the content between portrait/landscape?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, auvo.salmi said:

About the launchers, is there a launcher that supports totally different setups on portrait and landscape screens? I'm having an issue with calendar/agenda widget (any of them, and this would basically apply to any other widget out there, but in my case it's the calendar). I'd like to have the calendar widget enlarged to the whole portrait screen, with only clock in the header and app drawer on footer. But I can't enlarge the calendar widget this big (even if I completely remove the clock widget), and I believe that it's because of the calendar widget wouldn't fit to landscape screen. Which would be fine to me, as I would rather have some other widget on landscape screen. But does the launcher (all of them) always mirror the content between portrait/landscape?

Yes I found a single one. I will have to see if I can dig up which one it was....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes I found a single one. I will have to see if I can dig up which one it was....

While you digging up that launcher, Please also dig up my order 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kashif said:

While you digging up that launcher, Please also dig up my order 😛

He he, You'll have to contact the staff on that. I'm independent - though a big fan of what they are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

About the launchers, is there a launcher that supports totally different setups on portrait and landscape screens? I'm having an issue with calendar/agenda widget (any of them, and this would basically apply to any other widget out there, but in my case it's the calendar). I'd like to have the calendar widget enlarged to the whole portrait screen, with only clock in the header and app drawer on footer. But I can't enlarge the calendar widget this big (even if I completely remove the clock widget), and I believe that it's because of the calendar widget wouldn't fit to landscape screen. Which would be fine to me, as I would rather have some other widget on landscape screen. But does the launcher (all of them) always mirror the content between portrait/landscape?

I just tested this using Nova Launcher and the DejaOffice Month view widget.  I have the widget on it's own homescreen page filling the entire screen in Portrait (sorry, no screen shot-- too lazy to blur my calendar) and it rotates into landscape just fine filling that screen as well (and, like many things, is more readable in landscape). 

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes I found a single one. I will have to see if I can dig up which one it was....

Google have thrown all my reviews of the launchers away?!? I wrote it in there, so can not find it again without trying all again - and not going to waste time on that F... Google

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

Google have thrown all my reviews of the launchers away?!? I wrote it in there, so can not find it again without trying all again - and not going to waste time on that F... Google

reviews get thrown off the play store when new versions are pushed iirc

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, netman said:

reviews get thrown off the play store when new versions are pushed iirc

That can not be it, they seem to gone from all the launchers I tested, when I check one by one from the "Library" tab. And usually there can be reviews of old version in there - but they might have changed that - but these were no more than a month or two ago, and if they throw away reviews that fast, they might just as well remove them all, as no one is going to place any serious review that is this short lived.

Then at the VERY least they should throw some splash, that your review is going to be purged, please go an update....

 

....It is actually more than that, a LOT of them have been removed from the library tab too?? Maybe it is a new thing, that if you use it for less than XXX minutes it is not stored on the Library tab??? Most of the ones I tested was quickly discarded as not even supporting landscape, after trawling through their settings. I think that the few that do support landscape i found all had this most basic feature Off by default. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

But then you don't get 150 in game credits...

I have no idea what that is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EskeRahn said:

I have no idea what that is...

Oh sorry thought it was clear. Games often gave you ingame credits if you rate the game on google play.
Google wants no well written reviews. Else there wouldn't be games with gambling mechanics an 4.5 stars.
Google wants to show you an endless stream of highly rated content.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes I found a single one. I will have to see if I can dig up which one it was....

Found it !!!

Apex Launcher Classic! (Android Does Team)

Actually they handle it rather elegant. Let us say you choose 8x5 and 5x8 icons. Then the 5x5 is COMMON to the left in landscape, and TOP in portrait.

Personally I would have preferred the common group to be at the bottom respectively rigth, so the were  closer to the launch bar. But that MIGHT be a setting somewhere....

The keyboard functionality is not good, though existing. Logically they use arrows to rotate between pages, and tab to navigate in a primitive way for items on each page. So Rather contraintuitiv. Theoretically useful if your touch screen is broken, otherwise... meh....

They got a Pro version too - that offers some additional functionality, that does not seem interesting to me, So that would be to support them only.  (The feedback indicates that one should stay away from the pro version...)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

Oh sorry thought it was clear. Games often gave you ingame credits if you rate the game on google play.
Google wants no well written reviews. Else there wouldn't be games with gambling mechanics an 4.5 stars.
Google wants to show you an endless stream of highly rated content.

 The only game I use is Sudoku, so too old for "insane credits" - oh sorry "inGAME"

But thanks for the explanation.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2019 at 5:22 PM, EskeRahn said:

Found it !!!

Apex Launcher Classic! (Android Does Team)

Actually they handle it rather elegant. Let us say you choose 8x5 and 5x8 icons. Then the 5x5 is COMMON to the left in landscape, and TOP in portrait.

Personally I would have preferred the common group to be at the bottom respectively rigth, so the were  closer to the launch bar. But that MIGHT be a setting somewhere....

The keyboard functionality is not good, though existing. Logically they use arrows to rotate between pages, and tab to navigate in a primitive way for items on each page. So Rather contraintuitiv. Theoretically useful if your touch screen is broken, otherwise... meh....

They got a Pro version too - that offers some additional functionality, that does not seem interesting to me, So that would be to support them only.  (The feedback indicates that one should stay away from the pro version...)

Apex Launcher... why does it sound so familiar? I'm pretty sure I was actually using Apex launcher on my Desire Z with some really ripped-down aosp rom, which name I have forgotten. But I believe the rom was called Virtuous 'something'. But that's OT. I don't find keyboard shortcuts very useful, so I think I'll give a try for Apex Launcher. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

Apex Launcher... why does it sound so familiar? I'm pretty sure I was actually using Apex launcher on my Desire Z with some really ripped-down aosp rom, which name I have forgotten. But I believe the rom was called Virtuous 'something'. But that's OT. I don't find keyboard shortcuts very useful, so I think I'll give a try for Apex Launcher. Thanks!

note there seems to be a HUGE difference on their classic and newer version. Looking at the feedback of the new version people hated it so much, that they re-released the old as classic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question, i can create folder on the home screen by dropping an icon on to other but i cant do that in app drawer.

so how to create folder in app drawer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kashif said:

I have a question, i can create folder on the home screen by dropping an icon on to other but i cant do that in app drawer.

so how to create folder in app drawer?

I think you'd need a custom launcher for that one, to my knowledge it isn't available in stock Android or with a stock launcher.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC, I used the old Apex Launcher after my first HTC Desire Z, on which I originally had used the HTC launcher that came with it and which I liked very much. The old Apex Launcher was the most similar launcher I could find. When they created the new Apex Launcher and forced it upon their users, though, I went searching again and replaced it with the Nova launcher – even though it was essentially the same as the new Apex Launcher back then, only perhaps a bit more refined.  Seems I have to have a look at that "Apex Launcher Classic" again now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt anyone is interested, but Microsoft Word for Android (haven't tried the other office products) seems to work nicely with the keyboard.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opera Browser works quite well, but it doesn't seem too happy with alternative characters when using the HW keyboard.

I'm also trying Vivaldi Browser and might give MS Edge a go, that one works well on SailfishOS despite no Google Play Services support.

Edited by MickH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MickH said:

Opera Browser works quite well, but it doesn't seem to happy with alternative characters when using the HW keyboard.

Interesting. What do you mean by "alternative characters" is it anything but A-Z, or is it limited to special characters like sharp S? And in what context is it failing to accept them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms