Root-related questions

We will also support for 24 months manufacturer warranty (i.e not user caused damages). For non warranty covered damages, will also have repair centre to fix it with cost.

I'm gonna assume unlocking the bootloader/root will not mess up our warranty for this device, right?

Also as a question directed at everyone lurking here:

It's been a while since I've rooted an Android device, but I certainly plan to do so right away on the Pro1. The OS landscape has changed a bit in regards of security and restrictions and there are some apps I want to keep using though I know they go out of their way to check if the device is rooted and block access if it is.

There seem to be a few different methods to hide root (not just disable temporarily if possible) from certain apps. To what degree is that stuff effective and how hassle free would it be to use it on the Pro1? They seem to depend on what is used to activate root access for an app and some frameworks... I'm really not up-to-date with that stuff to be honest.

Basically my fear is that while this stuff exist, it may not work with how you'd use root on the Pro1, but I'd be very happy to be corrected on that!

We will also support for 24 months manufacturer warranty (i.e not user caused damages). For non warranty covered damages, will also have repair centre to fix it with cost.

I’m gonna assume unlocking the bootloader/root will not mess up our warranty for this device, right?

Also as a question directed at everyone lurking here:

It’s been a while since I’ve rooted an Android device, but I certainly plan to do so right away on the Pro1. The OS landscape has changed a bit in regards of security and restrictions and there are some apps I want to keep using though I know they go out of their way to check if the device is rooted and block access if it is.

There seem to be a few different methods to hide root (not just disable temporarily if possible) from certain apps. To what degree is that stuff effective and how hassle free would it be to use it on the Pro1? They seem to depend on what is used to activate root access for an app and some frameworks… I’m really not up-to-date with that stuff to be honest.

Basically my fear is that while this stuff exist, it may not work with how you’d use root on the Pro1, but I’d be very happy to be corrected on that!

My Nexus 6p is rooted and with an alternative ROM. It would be good to know what apps you are talking about. The only app I've ever had problems with is Netflix and that is easily solved by installing an older version which I keep the apk for and reinstall whenever I slip up and let an update through. Netflix never objects to the older program being used. I am still using Oreo (Dirty Unicorns ROM version 12), so I have no experience to know if anything is different in Pie. Could be just I happen to use only apps that don't care, so would be good to know what apps you are concerned about. I'm betting I don't have them.

The only app I’ve ever had problems with is Netflix and that is easily solved by installing an older version which I keep the apk for and reinstall whenever I slip up and let an update through. Netflix never objects to the older program being used. /quote]

You might have to share the apk in a few weeks...

The only app I’ve ever had problems with is Netflix and that is easily solved by installing an older version which I keep the apk for and reinstall whenever I slip up and let an update through. Netflix never objects to the older program being used. /quote]

You might have to share the apk in a few weeks…

And please add over here, if there is a specific version that works well with Keyboards/Landscape - and how to get to it.

https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/apps-that-works-great-with-a-real-keyboard-and-in-landscape/

It is an annoying 'feature' in the Android Market, that once something have been messed up with an 'update', we not only can not downgrade, we even can't uninstall and install the working older version. We have to either hope the developer fixes what they messed up or find and side-load it, thus messing with the whole idea of (at the least somewhat) secured apps.

It is an annoying ‘feature’ in the Android Market, that once something have been messed up with an ‘update’, we not only can not downgrade, we even can’t uninstall and install the working older version.

Another annoying thing in Android for me is the feature of displaying only national ratings for apps. I mean only national ratings.

I would like to read ratings in languages I understand and not only the local ones - especially when the app has relatively few ratings, I see those ratings are good but no Hungarian ratings at all and I have no option to see any ratings in the app as they are filtered out.

Another annoying thing in Android for me is the feature of displaying only national ratings for apps. I mean only national ratings.

I would like to read ratings in languages I understand and not only the local ones – especially when the app has relatively few ratings, I see those ratings are good but no Hungarian ratings at all and I have no option to see any ratings in the app as they are filtered out.

That is odd, I see both Danish and English reviews. (The names indicating it hardly being Danes writing in English)

BUT it could be because I always set my devices to real English (or American), as the translations to Danish more often than not are more or less incomprehensible, so you have to try to make a reverse translation to guess what it originally was, to understand it....

You could try to (temporarily) change the phone language, and see if that gives you more reviews.

(But indeed a bit odd that it is not a setting like: "I prefer these languages, in prioritised order")

My Nexus 6p is rooted and with an alternative ROM. It would be good to know what apps you are talking about.

In my particular case it's about a game (Love Live, anime stuff), so it'd be hard to just replace it if something else. I'd like to keep playing it, though.

The game in question blocks rooted devices, but it appears that hiding root from it works without any further consequences.

My bank probably wouldn't like it either, but I haven't checked since I don't actually use their app.

I don't have Netflix or stuff like that. In general I hope I won't run into too many issues with this. Like custom roms are great and all, but while there's still good support I'd love to stay on stock and still get root to get all updates and have a stable tested setup. Might be exaggerating, but while I love tinkering, not having to mess around too much and get a stable phone also has its upsides imo.

My Nexus 6p is rooted and with an alternative ROM. It would be good to know what apps you are talking about.

In my particular case it’s about a game (Love Live, anime stuff), so it’d be hard to just replace it if something else. I’d like to keep playing it, though.

The game in question blocks rooted devices, but it appears that hiding root from it works without any further consequences.

My bank probably wouldn’t like it either, but I haven’t checked since I don’t actually use their app.

I don’t have Netflix or stuff like that. In general I hope I won’t run into too many issues with this. Like custom roms are great and all, but while there’s still good support I’d love to stay on stock and still get root to get all updates and have a stable tested setup. Might be exaggerating, but while I love tinkering, not having to mess around too much and get a stable phone also has its upsides imo.

I agree, I will probably not go to an alternative rom, unless F(x) Tec can no longer update but a F(x) Tec blessed version of Lineage can (I still get updates on my 0ver 4 year old Samsung Tab S via Lineage). Frankly, if the Pro1's Android is vanilla enough and they don't install endless Google bloat as system apps, I might even avoid root for a while. I'm going to have to relearn rooting anyway. I was spoiled by owning several Nexus models and being able to use Nexus Root Toolkit (still works on my Nexus 6p, just have to manually download source files as the toolkit is currently abandonware).

My bank app merely warns me once (first time you open only) that I might not be secure because I'm rooted and then they leave me alone and the bank app works fine. Lol.

Just a hint to those that like rooting just to kill bloat apps.

Even on non-rooted devices we DO have a bigger axe to disable stuff, than apps-settings. Slightly hidden but official.

By the use of USB-cable, a PC, and Google's ADB.program's commands we can disable galore (almost) anything. (Yes, including Bixby!)

I wrote a lot of blah blah with examples related to a Samsung S8- here

This was asked in another thread but I think it may get lost so asking here for more visibility.

If you root the phone will doing so effect the warranty?

Obviously it will be good to get an official answer, but I can't believe they would advertise an unlockable bootloader and Sailfish comparability as features if rooting was going to void the warranty.

Well putting an official image on for a different OS is different from a custom one. But I didn't ask the original question but it was getting lost in the other thread and it's worth getting an answer on.

There definately are sometimes apps that don't work on rooted phone. Pokemon Go was one I ran into couple years ago...early versions worked fine, then there was some versions with easy workarounds (rename su binary) then stopped working and by then I didn't care about it enough, but I think there were further workarounds for a while.

I also believe things like tap-to-pay may not work on rooted phones, something about safetynet.

There definately are sometimes apps that don’t work on rooted phone. Pokemon Go was one I ran into couple years ago…early versions worked fine, then there was some versions with easy workarounds (rename su binary) then stopped working and by then I didn’t care about it enough, but I think there were further workarounds for a while.

I also believe things like tap-to-pay may not work on rooted phones, something about safetynet.

They are working fine using magisk as root-solution.

People are still, and depending the OS and Security Patch root isn't even necessary. For that specific app there has always been a workarond until today. Banking/TAN apps however are most of the time unusuable on rooted or even non-stock unrooted roms. If someone really depends on those apps, i would not recommend rooting.

In my opinion, rooting is not as necessary as it was years ago. An unlocked bootloader to flash a custom recovery is enough to get rid of bloatware and unwanted system-apps, manually backing up and restoring app-data, and tampering with the hosts file for example.

In my opinion, rooting is not as necessary as it was years ago. An unlocked bootloader to flash a custom recovery is enough to get rid of bloatware and unwanted system-apps, manually backing up and restoring app-data, and tampering with the hosts file for example.

People really should try ADB, we can disable (almost) anything without the need for neither root nor flash, just a pc and a usb-cable...

See https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/root-related-questions-split-from-support-time-thread/page/1/#post-16686 with link

• 2 months later...

I intend to root my Pro1 as soon as I get it.

I have a question about support of updates on rooted device - I mean rooted stock ROM, not a custom one. On Moto Z, for example, it is rather tricky and involves unrooting, flashing old stock ROM, updating to new one and then rooting again. Userdata is deleted in the process. I would very much like to be able to update rooted stock Pro1 without loosing userdata

Thanks for the link @EskeRahn. It's good to know what you can do with ADB but personally I prefer to have root access, just like I prefer to have root/admin access on a computer in case I need it. For me my phone is basically a portable computer (especially with a full keyboard); , and I want to be able to access it as such. Potentially powerful tools like a terminal/console or DB editor feel pretty crippled without root since you can't access most of the file system. Also, some apps really need root access, like Wireguard, AFWall, TitaniumBackup.

Besides, what about when you want to do something on the spot and don't have access to a computer? :)

I might give LineageOS a go, but after using it for so long on the Droid 4 I have some concerns about its stability. Maybe it's specific to this phone's port (and the fact that I used running nightly builds) but I've got all kinds of weird issues in the last build and it would be good to be on a stable official OS. I just don't want Google Services on it. I tried unGoogling my Moto Z (which I bought in anticipation of the keyboard mod, ha) but wasn't successful and gave up, not sure if I'll try the same with this one.

Thanks for the link @eskerahn. It’s good to know what you can do with ADB but personally I prefer to have root access, just like I prefer to have root/admin access on a computer in case I need it. For me my phone is basically a portable computer (especially with a full keyboard); , and I want to be able to access it as such. Potentially powerful tools like a terminal/console or DB editor feel pretty crippled without root since you can’t access most of the file system. Also, some apps really need root access, like Wireguard, AFWall, TitaniumBackup.

Besides, what about when you want to do something on the spot and don’t have access to a computer? :)

I might give LineageOS a go, but after using it for so long on the Droid 4 I have some concerns about its stability. Maybe it’s specific to this phone’s port (and the fact that I used running nightly builds) but I’ve got all kinds of weird issues in the last build and it would be good to be on a stable official OS. I just don’t want Google Services on it. I tried unGoogling my Moto Z (which I bought in anticipation of the keyboard mod, ha) but wasn’t successful and gave up, not sure if I’ll try the same with this one.

Consider rooting a bit like walking a dog without a leash. Usually a much more pleasant experience (for both dog and owner) BUT the risk of things accidentally happening is also bigger. From the dog being hit by a car to the dog biting another dog (or human). I'm not saying you should not root (I usually walk my dog without a leash too...), only that people should always remember there is risks involved.

• Like 1
Consider rooting a bit like walking a dog without a leash. Usually a much more pleasant experience (for both dog and owner) BUT the risk of things accidentally happening is also bigger. From the dog being hit by a car to the dog biting another dog (or human). I’m not saying you should not root (I usually walk my dog without a leash too…), only that people should always remember there is risks involved.

I am running Linux on my own computer and naturally, I am also own the root user.

Personally, I don't want to give root access to anything which doesn't need root access, but I need root access to gain control over my phone - running Linux environment and related stuff.

Under Windows, where initially all programs had full access to everywhere and bad behaviour became the main usage condition, the manufacturer tried to build additional control layers above the bad usage habit. Also under company environment, the whole user can be controlled "globally", but in that case the computer is not owned by the user who uses it.

Under Linux, nobody ever really wanted to run user applications under root, that account was always used for special purposes (in Windows, the NT line had similar capabilities which all modern Windows systems are based on, but also user applications had to be grown up).

Instead, all applications are running at user level, also some system components has its own users and lowered privileges.

However, sometimes we need root privileges and if I am not have system level access to my hardware, then the hardware is not really mine.

Then Android is a system which builds on an idea that the owner of the operating system is Google and the user is only a user. That way user is not able to break anything in the system, thus, unneeded warranty issues may be lower... but that way the user is not the real owner and the physical owner's possibilities are restricted.

I understand that most of the users really don't need full access to the hardware, but...

I don't like when the system I use wants to protect me from myself especially if that also means my hands are hold down.