F(x)tec on Verizon?

Hi,

I'd like to pre-order the Pro1, and my carrier is Verizon. I am located in the US. Will it be easy setting up F(x)tec Pro1 on the Verizon network? Will Verizon offer the F(x)tec Pro1? Are there any other concerns you would suggest for consideration?

I've never set up a non-Verizon phone with Verizon (even my BlackBerry Priv was bought at Verizon) and would appreciate any advice before pre-ordering.

Thanks.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got the Pro1 today and somehow got it working on Verizon based on the instructions here. Context: I have an existing account with Verizon. I've been swapping my sim to new devices for years.

Holy crap!!! I got Verizon to work!!!!   Both I and Verizon missed a step.  I was confused because I had verified my G6 was provisioned for VoLTEand that it could send and receieve calls if I set the

Forgot to add, the Verizon tech who got my Pro 1 working was extremely impressed by it and said she's going to order one herself.

Posted Images

Hi,

I’d like to pre-order the Pro1, and my carrier is Verizon. I am located in the US. Will it be easy setting up F(x)tec Pro1 on the Verizon network? Will Verizon offer the F(x)tec Pro1? Are there any other concerns you would suggest for consideration?

I’ve never set up a non-Verizon phone with Verizon (even my BlackBerry Priv was bought at Verizon) and would appreciate any advice before pre-ordering.

Thanks.

I'm in the US on Verizon also, so I am curious as well. I believe it has the right bands. The key with Verizon, as I understand it, is to get them to allow a strange off-brand phone onto their network. I do pre-pay only, and only have experience with bringing them an unlocked Nexus 6p. That was a phone I believe they had sold themselves although I didn't get mine from them. So, I doubt we can answer this until we get there.

In my case, if they refuse, I will just walk down the street and do AT&T prepay. I know they work well as I used to use them. I went to Verizon because my wife was on Verizon and having two lines instead of one saved money.

If you are on a contract plan, you might start talking with them about it now. Whether they will give you a definitive answer before they see the phone, I don't know.

Thank you. I've called them. The woman I spoke with on the phone hasn't heard of F(x)tec Pro1 yet (understandable), but she explained in a few words that it will likely be very easy to set it up with Verizon. My family uses a contract plan.

After watching several product review videos, and judging by the product specs, it looks doable.

Thank you. I’ve called them. The woman I spoke with on the phone hasn’t heard of F(x)tec Pro1 yet (understandable), but she explained in a few words that it will likely be very easy to set it up with Verizon. My family uses a contract plan.

After watching several product review videos, and judging by the product specs, it looks doable.

Good to hear. I think they used to be a lot fussier about this sort of thing, but I think they've gotten much better.

• 2 weeks later...

All you should have to do to make it activate is to insert an appropriate SIM attached to your account. Your existing SIM from your old phone may well work, depending on the age of your previous phone.

The real wildcard will be that Verizon is being evil and taking down the CDMA hardware at the end of the year, so all the devices which depend on it will cease to make phone calls, including the Droid 4 running Android 7.1 I'm using to post this. It's not entirely original. :) I was starting to get really worried about what I was going to do, because it does not support VoLTE, which will be the only road forward on Verizon after that change. I bought a secondhand Blackberry Priv off eBay in preparation, and have been half-heartedly trying to like it, but I just don't like the portrait keyboard. I function in landscape mode. In spite of the Blackberry being much faster than my hacked ROM Droid, I keep coming back the Droid, because it's what I like.

If the VoLTE implementation in the Pro 1 works on Verizon, this will be just what the doctor ordered. Has anyone actually tested it, developers? I am betting that it will work, since you seem to have built in almost every known frequency and coding, which is genius, because it makes it a true universal device. You can't know how eager I am to actually get a modern device with a landscape keyboard!

• 2 weeks later...

I am also awaiting a definitive response as to this working or not. On 20190430, I sent the following through the "Contact" form on the website.

Hello,

Will the Pro1 work on the US Verizon network? I looked on the forum and couldn't find a definitive answer. The closest I found was
which read like conjecture, not fact.

Sincerely,

jmcleod

P.S. I'm still using a Motorola DROID 4 XT894.

On 20190513, I received a response indicating that testing on all major carriers would take place in June.

Hi jmcleod,

To give you a definitive answer we’ll be testing the Pro1 in the US next month with sim cards from all the major carriers, check back to our forum then when we’ll confirm that Verizon is supported.

Best regards,

Team F(x)tec

Now that it is past the first week of July, I haven't yet found a thread that confirms anything definitively. I joined to share this information.

For what it's worth (and I'm not arguing that they shouldn't give us a definitive answer here or in a newsletter), Chen Liangchen answered a recent query on the Facebook page with "[The F(x) Tec Pro1] is compatible with Verizon."

I am also awaiting a definitive response as to this working or not. On 20190430, I sent the following through the “Contact” form on the website.

Hello,

Will the Pro1 work on the US Verizon network? I looked on the forum and couldn’t find a definitive answer. The closest I found was
, which read like conjecture, not fact.

Sincerely,

jmcleod

P.S. I’m still using a Motorola DROID 4 XT894.

On 20190513, I received a response indicating that testing on all major carriers would take place in June.

Hi jmcleod,

To give you a definitive answer we’ll be testing the Pro1 in the US next month with sim cards from all the major carriers, check back to our forum then when we’ll confirm that Verizon is supported.

Best regards,

Team F(x)tec

Now that it is past the first week of July, I haven’t yet found a thread that confirms anything definitively. I joined to share this information.

I think they probably are talking about the beta program. If that is the case they have a slight delay. They will inform the lucky participants next week. Sure it takes at least another 1-2 week until they have the phone, so I would expect results mid august.

• 4 months later...

The Pro1 should work well with Verizon in most areas.  It supports all of their current 2G/3G CDMA band classes (which is all scheduled to disappear by Jan 2021), and also all of Verizon's LTE bands except for 66.

Right now band 66 is not in use much here in the US, but I have been told by a NOC engineer that will change rather quickly (in a year or so).  Thus, if you want to be absolutely certain that the Pro1 will (currently) work in the areas which you plan on using it, go to a site like cellmapper and see which bands are in use in your area.  As long as you see local LTE sites using 2, 4, 5, or 13 you should be good to go.  If you already see 66 is active you might want to investigate further.

Edited by Polaris
  • Thanks 3
10 minutes ago, damion said:

Wow I'm really out of date, verizon used to need specific different h/ware as they didn't even use sims!

That was when they were CDMA only, pre-LTE.  I'm finally getting my Pro 1 this coming Tuesday and Verizon compatibility will be one of the first things I test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, damion said:

Wow I'm really out of date, verizon used to need specific different h/ware as they didn't even use sims!

They didn't, and still don't need one for their 2G/3G CDMA network.  Per the LTE standard for their 4G network you'll need one.  However, because they use it differently than a GSM phone, older GSM only SIMs won't work.  Also, Verizon only stores subscriber info and a PIN (if used to access LTE networks) on the card; thus, one can't store files (docs, pics, contacts, etc.).

• Thanks 2
33 minutes ago, ksal95 said:

Almost wish I was still using Verizon just to see their faces in regards to activating an unlocked phone on their network!

I'll probably use a mule device to get a SIM of the appropriate size and then insert and BLAMMO! They'll never know the difference. Of course, I might just take it to the local VaZelon store to see their faces. I might even stick a recording Droid in a pocket with a hole to get candid reaction video. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, silversolver said:

I'll probably use a mule device to get a SIM of the appropriate size and then insert and BLAMMO! They'll never know the difference. Of course, I might just take it to the local VaZelon store to see their faces. I might even stick a recording Droid in a pocket with a hole to get candid reaction video. 😛

demanding do it GIF

• Haha 1

Went to Verizon with Pro 1 in hand.  The techs were impressed and tried to get it on the network, but no go.  Had to go to AT&T, which worked fine.  (This is on Pay-As-You-Go for both).

It's possible that as more Verizon customers show up with this phone, if they do, they will certify it for their network, but not now.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1