Jump to content
EskeRahn

Help keeping the forum clean.

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

We now all have the option to report stuff. So help us all to keep the forum clean and please

Report it when you see spam or other unwanted content.

The conversion did not go smooth on all the spam, so I have 'just' manually been through all pages of all threads, and tried to weed out the missed spam.
But it would be a miracle if I did not overlook something, so please report whatever junk you stumble upon.

Add: Netman and SirBaconIII reported below that the Report option is not always easily visible, it appears at the top right of a post when the mouse is somewhere inside the square around the comment. (And when you are logged in only)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have reported a lot of them going trough what was marked unread. Do they arrive?

Important thing to note is that where you should look is the top right of a post when you have the mouse hovering over it, only then the "report post" link appears, it's not immediately obvious.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, netman said:

I have reported a lot of them going trough what was marked unread. Do they arrive?

Important thing to note is that where you should look is the top right of a post when you have the mouse hovering over it, only then the "report post" link appears, it's not immediately obvious.

Yup, I got those too, thanks.

Did not realise it was not always visible, I think we should report that as a bug. As a moderator I see it there all the time, and as you had reported some I thought it was visible to everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

Did not realise it was not always visible, I think we should report that as a bug.

Its not that it's isn't always visible as much as it really blends into the background when you're not mousing over it. It could just be that I sit pretty low compared to my monitors.

I would agree that it could do with being a bit darker when inactive, though.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the forum is any good it should be possible to remove them all in one go because they are from the same user at least. Is there a captcha or alike for creating new accounts already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, netman said:

If the forum is any good it should be possible to remove them all in one go because they are from the same user at least. Is there a captcha or alike for creating new accounts already?

Sure hope so, if not it should be added and enabled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, netman said:

If the forum is any good it should be possible to remove them all in one go because they are from the same user at least. Is there a captcha or alike for creating new accounts already?

I am going to change the spam settings. I am just afraid it might start blocking the good users too. Email [email protected] if anyone has trouble with the new spam system which is active now.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@EskeRahn, Why did you merge my thread "Post here only when you have a tracking number" when it was clearly different, provide different value, and intended to address a need in the community? I appreciate you intent to keep the forum clean but merging these threads was not helpful.

For your reference.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the threads are getting very messy due to all of this merging. I would prefer if different discussions were kept separate.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 7:33 PM, abielins said:

I think the threads are getting very messy due to all of this merging. I would prefer if different discussions were kept separate.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort!

I think the forum is getting messy with people making new threads that are slight variations over existing threads. If I was less lazy, I guess I ought to merge more not less...

On the other hand some threads are getting messy because things go off topic, so these ought to be split - and some of the splits from different threads merged....

But it's complex, especially if (as is often the case) the comment that starts a thread to go 'off topic', also includes something that is ON topic, so it is the comment in itself that ought to be split first, and that is not a simple task to do that clean.

I'm not even sure there is a function to copy a comment as a split to a new thread, so I could edit the two copies and thus split the comment - and I really do not like to edit in peoples comments, unless explicitly asked to do so by the author, or if the alternative is to delete the post completely (e.g. a post with relevant content combined with an attack on another user). Fortunately I have not had the need to do this (yet). Except killing the obvious spam of course.

  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

I think the forum is getting messy with people making new threads that are slight variations over existing threads. If I was less lazy, I guess I ought to merge more not less...

On the other hand some threads are getting messy because things go off topic, so these ought to be split - and some of the splits from different threads merged....

But it's complex, especially if (as is often the case) the comment that starts a thread to go 'off topic', also includes something that is ON topic, so it is the comment in itself that ought to be split first, and that is not a simple task to do that clean.

I'm not even sure there is a function to copy a comment as a split to a new thread, so I could edit the two copies and thus split the comment - and I really do not like to edit in peoples comments, unless explicitly asked to do so by the author, or if the alternative is to delete the post completely (e.g. a post with sensible content combined with an attack on another user). Fortunately I have not had the need to do this (yet). Except killing the obvious spam of course.

Basically this whole Forum is a mess (Don't look at me, I am completely innocent). This is unlikely to get better until there is some real user2user content here. So I would say do not put too much work into it until we got the phones.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

Basically this whole Forum is a mess (Don't look at me, I am completely innocent). This is unlikely to get better until there is some real user2user content here. So I would say do not put too much work into it until we got the phones.

Once I get my phone, I'll most likely be following XDA more to see what the wizards and warloks are doing to make the phone better

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I think the forum is getting messy with people making new threads that are slight variations over existing threads. If I was less lazy, I guess I ought to merge more not less...

Eh. We have one thread that is over 30 pages long. That's far, far too long to be useful to anyone.

The goal should be to have a high Signal/Noise ratio. Sometimes this means moving things together, sometimes it means keeping things separate. Sometimes it means leaving things where they are so there is less noise from people complaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zurvan2 said:

Eh. We have one thread that is over 30 pages long. That's far, far too long to be useful to anyone.

The goal should be to have a high Signal/Noise ratio. Sometimes this means moving things together, sometimes it means keeping things separate. Sometimes it means leaving things where they are so there is less noise from people complaining.

The 'real' info is a running joke in that thread anyway. Every few days we get info that the fist batch is shipping and tracking will be provided 'soon' lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zurvan2 said:

Eh. We have one thread that is over 30 pages long. That's far, far too long to be useful to anyone.

The goal should be to have a high Signal/Noise ratio. Sometimes this means moving things together, sometimes it means keeping things separate. Sometimes it means leaving things where they are so there is less noise from people complaining.

Certainly. You might consider reading all the way down to the line below starting with "On the other hand some threads ...."

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms