Hi everyone,

We now all have the option to report stuff. So help us all to keep the forum clean and please

🧹 Report it when you see spam or other unwanted content. 🧹

The conversion did not go smooth on all the spam, so I have 'just' manually been through all pages of all threads, and tried to weed out the missed spam.
But it would be a miracle if I did not overlook something, so please report whatever junk you stumble upon.

Add: Netman and SirBaconIII reported below that the Report option is not always easily visible, it appears at the top right of a post when the mouse is somewhere inside the square around the comment. (And when you are logged in only)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I have reported a lot of them going trough what was marked unread. Do they arrive?

Important thing to note is that where you should look is the top right of a post when you have the mouse hovering over it, only then the "report post" link appears, it's not immediately obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, netman said:

I have reported a lot of them going trough what was marked unread. Do they arrive?

Important thing to note is that where you should look is the top right of a post when you have the mouse hovering over it, only then the "report post" link appears, it's not immediately obvious.

Yup, I got those too, thanks.

Did not realise it was not always visible, I think we should report that as a bug. As a moderator I see it there all the time, and as you had reported some I thought it was visible to everyone.

1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

Did not realise it was not always visible, I think we should report that as a bug.

Its not that it's isn't always visible as much as it really blends into the background when you're not mousing over it. It could just be that I sit pretty low compared to my monitors.

I would agree that it could do with being a bit darker when inactive, though.

• Thanks 2
32 minutes ago, netman said:

If the forum is any good it should be possible to remove them all in one go because they are from the same user at least. Is there a captcha or alike for creating new accounts already?

Sure hope so, if not it should be added and enabled.

3 hours ago, netman said:

If the forum is any good it should be possible to remove them all in one go because they are from the same user at least. Is there a captcha or alike for creating new accounts already?

I am going to change the spam settings. I am just afraid it might start blocking the good users too. Email [email protected] if anyone has trouble with the new spam system which is active now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 11/5/2019 at 7:33 PM, abielins said:

I think the threads are getting very messy due to all of this merging. I would prefer if different discussions were kept separate.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort!

I think the forum is getting messy with people making new threads that are slight variations over existing threads. If I was less lazy, I guess I ought to merge more not less...

On the other hand some threads are getting messy because things go off topic, so these ought to be split - and some of the splits from different threads merged....

But it's complex, especially if (as is often the case) the comment that starts a thread to go 'off topic', also includes something that is ON topic, so it is the comment in itself that ought to be split first, and that is not a simple task to do that clean.

I'm not even sure there is a function to copy a comment as a split to a new thread, so I could edit the two copies and thus split the comment - and I really do not like to edit in peoples comments, unless explicitly asked to do so by the author, or if the alternative is to delete the post completely (e.g. a post with relevant content combined with an attack on another user). Fortunately I have not had the need to do this (yet). Except killing the obvious spam of course.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

I think the forum is getting messy with people making new threads that are slight variations over existing threads. If I was less lazy, I guess I ought to merge more not less...

On the other hand some threads are getting messy because things go off topic, so these ought to be split - and some of the splits from different threads merged....

But it's complex, especially if (as is often the case) the comment that starts a thread to go 'off topic', also includes something that is ON topic, so it is the comment in itself that ought to be split first, and that is not a simple task to do that clean.

I'm not even sure there is a function to copy a comment as a split to a new thread, so I could edit the two copies and thus split the comment - and I really do not like to edit in peoples comments, unless explicitly asked to do so by the author, or if the alternative is to delete the post completely (e.g. a post with sensible content combined with an attack on another user). Fortunately I have not had the need to do this (yet). Except killing the obvious spam of course.

Basically this whole Forum is a mess (Don't look at me, I am completely innocent). This is unlikely to get better until there is some real user2user content here. So I would say do not put too much work into it until we got the phones.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
45 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

Basically this whole Forum is a mess (Don't look at me, I am completely innocent). This is unlikely to get better until there is some real user2user content here. So I would say do not put too much work into it until we got the phones.

Once I get my phone, I'll most likely be following XDA more to see what the wizards and warloks are doing to make the phone better 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Eh. We have one thread that is over 30 pages long. That's far, far too long to be useful to anyone.

The goal should be to have a high Signal/Noise ratio. Sometimes this means moving things together, sometimes it means keeping things separate. Sometimes it means leaving things where they are so there is less noise from people complaining. 😉

2 minutes ago, zurvan2 said:

Eh. We have one thread that is over 30 pages long. That's far, far too long to be useful to anyone.

The goal should be to have a high Signal/Noise ratio. Sometimes this means moving things together, sometimes it means keeping things separate. Sometimes it means leaving things where they are so there is less noise from people complaining. 😉

The 'real' info is a running joke in that thread anyway.  Every few days we get info that the fist batch is shipping and tracking will be provided 'soon' lol

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, zurvan2 said:

Certainly. You might consider reading all the way down to the line below starting with "On the other hand some threads ...." 😜

• Haha 2
  • EskeRahn unpinned and featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...