Any updates on desktop OS's?

This is a cool concept, and something I had never really considered. To the complaint that mobile browsers are terrible (I mostly agree) I suggest using Brave for Android in Desktop Mode. I do on my hijacked Droid 4 running 7.1 and it's very nice (if a little small on the D4 screen.) I had never really considered running a real desktop OS on a mobile device, but certainly see where it would be very doable on a powerful device like P1. However, I see a limitation beyond HDMI; desktop OSes are designed for mouse input, and generally are clunky without its precision input.

I'd probably try it, but doubt I'd like it. I prefer a desktop OS generally, but would hesitate to use it on a device with no mouse.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been playing with chroot on the Pro¹ lately, extremely happy with it, even though it is still rough around the edges. Even my N900 never felt so close to an actual pocketable computer. Therefor

this is my mobile "desktop" solution. i want to make it with my pro1.

Ubu chroot on Pro¹ running SFOS: Thanks Preflex and TheKit!  

Posted Images

8 hours ago, silversolver said:

I'd probably try it, but doubt I'd like it. I prefer a desktop OS generally, but would hesitate to use it on a device with no mouse.

It would be better if we had touchpad emulation (on touch screen) in that case instead of normal touch screen function. 🙂

That's why I proposed one of those small mice that you have in the keyboards of ThinkPads. I used those a lot and if space is missing, they do a very nice job.

Of course, there won't be a mouse on the Pro1.

4 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

Yeah but seems like Pro1 isn't supported. I really don't understand that about smartphones - why do they all need seperate images? That is such a frustrating thing about Android/ARM.

I think it's because they use different chipsets with components that don't work plug and play. You basically include some sort of drivers in a chipset that are not available to the public.

So one compatible device doesn't mean others are.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

Yeah but seems like Pro1 isn't supported.

Yet... Let's be hopeful, to get sailfish etc there is also a want to get hybris working on the device and that code can be shared i believe 🙂.

8 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

I really don't understand that about smartphones - why do they all need seperate images? That is such a frustrating thing about Android/ARM.

Because there is no standards for bootloader, how to tell the OS what devices are connected where, drivers, etc. The image has to be built to know where and what about the hardware. It's a regrettable fact of life, but shows you how good we have it with modern PC/laptop hardware. It's almost the same way it was back before when IBM PC type stuff took over, and instead of the BIOS abstracting the hardware for the OS there was only a manual telling what port or memory address the devices are at and how to interact with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

Yeah but seems like Pro1 isn't supported. I really don't understand that about smartphones - why do they all need seperate images? That is such a frustrating thing about Android/ARM.

It's because you have to bake all the hardware drivers into the image. Desktop OSes tend to have a bazillion drivers for common hardware baked into the image, but storage on mobile is much more limited, and this waste of space is more noticeable. On top of that, generic handles for things like video and storage to make something work without hardware-specific drivers are nearly universal on x86 machines (although servers can be fiddly), but ARM devices need the specific drivers for the hardware to even work in most cases.

edit: lots of great answers to this question from others.

Edited by silversolver
comment
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, silversolver said:

It's because you have to bake all the hardware drivers into the image. Desktop OSes tend to have a bazillion drivers for common hardware baked into the image, but storage on mobile is much more limited, and this waste of space is more noticeable. On top of that, generic handles for things like video and storage to make something work without hardware-specific drivers are nearly universal on x86 machines (although servers can be fiddly), but ARM devices need the specific drivers for the hardware to even work in most cases.

edit: lots of great answers to this question from others.

Yeah - except the Linux kernel itself already includes a lot of drivers to a point where on the x86 architecture every imagineable driver is already included. And the entire thing barely reaches 90 MB of space. Driver size isn't the issue. As others mentioned, ARM doesn't have a BIOS equivalent (which I didn't knew.) and a lot of propiertary drivers (why companies do that is beyond me.)

@netman thank you for that explanation

Also: Apparently Ubuntu Touch can be compiled if one has the kernel sources of the phone available. I think Waxberry once said they would put those somewhere...?

Edited by SteffenWi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

I really don't understand that about smartphones - why do they all need seperate images? That is such a frustrating thing about Android/ARM.

Because every phone is different. 🙂

I mean any of them use a specific SoC (like SDM835 in this case), but different solutions in hardware.
Different sensors are connected to different ports (other I²C or SPI), the CS pin of an SPI device may be connected to different outputs, enable signal for specific power supplies may be connected to different outputs, after hardware switches on it may have a "self-powering" technique which has to be driven, uSD can be connected to different port (if there are more), displays are different (resolution, driving method / driver IC, mirroring, etc), touch screen /it's driver IC/ may be different, etc.

Linux kernel has to include drivers for a lot of components with appropriate parameters, upload firmware to specific hardware modules, initialize components, handle specific things.

On PC, there is a specific code (BIOS / UEFI) which has some standard helpers to boot up an operating system, but still there are a lot of difference between computers which are solved by internal drivers - this is why in Linux, one (or an automatism) should specify some parameters, so "work like a Dell" or "work like Asus"-type settings for some hardware or workarounds for some specific models of hardware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, Craig said:

I don't understand this stuff well enough myself to explain it, but if you need a desktop solution that works today, I think your best bet is sfos with linux chroot.

For example

image.png.4879833f39392445119371badc04842e.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=40185&stc=1&

Filez and more infoz here: https://github.com/elros34/sailfish_ubu_chroot

It's up to Ubuntu 19.04 now and appears actively maintained.  I recognize the name elros34 as he did the sfos port for photon q.

Wonder if it will run unity (better for touch)

2 minutes ago, abielins said:

You won't be able to do much gaming in Windows on an ARM processor. Apps mostly need to be compiled for it.

IIRC the windows 10 for ARM does run x86 applications with an emulation/translation layer type of thing, but I don't know how well that performs.

24 minutes ago, netman said:

IIRC the windows 10 for ARM does run x86 applications with an emulation/translation layer type of thing, but I don't know how well that performs.

Only 32-bit x86 apps. Most games nowadays are 64-bit only I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Well, you could probably use something like the swiftpoint or microsoft arc as a tiny portable mouse. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RI47ECS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1462307529&sr=8-1&keywords=swiftpoint+gt&linkCode=sl1&tag=socialtech109-20&linkId=6be44db6d3952d25306c33582e8b0741

3 hours ago, abielins said:

You won't be able to do much gaming in Windows on an ARM processor. Apps mostly need to be compiled for it.

I said more than gaming (since somebody mentioned that he doesn't play games and therefore doesn't need Windows.

I'm not expecting to play Witcher 3 on the FxTec Pro 1 and I'm not aiming for that either. I mainly use my phone for browsing and setting up text, researching, etc. That's where Windows (or probably any desktop OS) would be the perfect platform for me because you've a much wider functionality and customizability.

So I started setting my machine up to compile UbuntuTouch for Pro1, but I'm now stuck at the step where I need to get source files for the Pro1. The thing that I just read, before I seem to have skipped the version number, is that you need the sourcefiles for LineageOS 14.1  which would be Android 7. Not Android 9 / Lineage OS 17.

That doesn't seem really...secure?

https://docs.halium.org/en/latest/porting/get-sources.html

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, SteffenWi said:

So I started setting my machine up to compile UbuntuTouch for Pro1, but I'm now stuck at the step where I need to get source files for the Pro1. The thing that I just read, before I seem to have skipped the version number, is that you need the sourcefiles for LineageOS 14.1  which would be Android 7. Not Android 9 / Lineage OS 17.

That doesn't seem really...secure?

https://docs.halium.org/en/latest/porting/get-sources.html

That's weird, but hopefully more up to date sources can be used in the future.  I'd be interested to see a UbuntuTouch port for the Pro1 so thank you for at least trying!

• Like 2

I was thinking about this topic again...

Would it be possible to program the touchscreen as a touchpad in Android or a desktop OS? That way you could use a cursor in a desktop OS or games in emulators with swiping over the touchscreen. I'm not talking about the exact position of your finger but controlling a cursor with the movement only.

Don't blame me, I myself am not sure if this is a good idea either, but it should be possible, right?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

I was thinking about this topic again...

Would it be possible to program the touchscreen as a touchpad in Android or a desktop OS? That way you could use a cursor in a desktop OS or games in emulators with swiping over the touchscreen. I'm not talking about the exact position of your finger but controlling a cursor with the movement only.

Don't blame me, I myself am not sure if this is a good idea either, but it should be possible, right?

Sure, it's definitely possible, as it could be done entirely in software, but I do question whether or not it would be usable.

Can we get an adapter to plug in a real mouse? LOL

• Like 2

Sure, it's definitely possible, as it could be done entirely in software, but I do question whether or not it would be usable.

Can we get an adapter to plug in a real mouse? LOL

Believe it or not, actually I have come across people that prefers these horrible touchpads over real mice. For those it could be interesting.

And for use at some random remote location borrowing a display to show something, it would simplify to not have to consider a real mouse also.

• Like 1