Moderator: This is a split from this sailfish thread

On 11/16/2019 at 7:41 AM, Craig said:

I tried pinging the TWRP developer Chen thanked and will start a new thread (if he doesn't) if he replies with more info.  But even the early reports said it could flash, so for installing SFOS it's fine, and for stock backup, we already have a flashall so no worries that way either.

Thanks for pinging him.  I would like to be able to use TWRP to make nandroid backups of my /data partition (for Android use).  Since this is shared in A/B, maybe that works already.  I'd also like to be able to use "adb pull" to get the backup off the device, as well as backup the media files (TWRP doesn't include media files in /data backups).  I believe "adb pull" only works in recovery mode, with the partition unmounted.  I don't know if stock recovery can do that.

UPDATE:  Thinking about this more, as long as the phone will allow booting off images on a USB connected computer (fastboot boot boot.img), an insecure boot.img could be made and booted off of.  This should allow "adb pull/push" to be used to backup/restore /data and /data/media.  I haven't used this method before, so I am speaking from theory.

The benefit of doing a nandroid backup of /data in recovery mode is that it will pack all the files into one or more tar files.  These may transfer easier with adb pull than pulling thousands of individual files.  I have had cases where adb pull has hung after some number of files.  Running it again, multiple times, allowed it to finish, but it is annoying and increases the time to complete the task.

I'll do some testing and create some tutorials on various file transfer methods once I get my phone.

• Like 1

The version of TWRP linked from the first post in the Sailfish OS thread works well enough to install Sailfish OS, but YMMV if you want to use it for any other purpose. It cannot decrypt the userdata partition (so you can't use it to make a backup), and you're better off using fastboot to restore the other partitions rather than a nandroid backup made with TWRP.

Also, the current bootloader does not support 'fastboot boot boot.img'. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
31 minutes ago, Sean McCreary said:

Wow, that's really surprising.  I know not every phone supports that, but I really have to think that was just an oversight for fxtec and not done intentionally, since they seem to want to keep things open and available.  Maybe @Waxberry can comment on that limitation and whether it will be opened up.

Thank you for the information about TWRP.  I guess that means there is no way, currently, to do a partition backup with the Pro1 via ADB or Recovery.  There might be a way to do it from within Android when rooted, but that's atypical.

• Like 1
On 11/17/2019 at 8:09 PM, Sean McCreary said:

The version of TWRP linked from the first post in the Sailfish OS thread works well enough to install Sailfish OS, but YMMV if you want to use it for any other purpose. It cannot decrypt the userdata partition (so you can't use it to make a backup), and you're better off using fastboot to restore the other partitions rather than a nandroid backup made with TWRP.

I believe this to be one of the causes for the following behaviour that I'm encountering while trying to simply flash TWRP without continuing the Sailfish OS install:

• Can't mount /data or /system or /data/system
  • Can't seem to check off the "Mount as read-only" check box
  • After flashing it Android asks me for a password which is NOT my password, and I cannot boot boot into Android at all
  • Doing a "Wipe Data" results in an endless boot
  • Doing a "Factory Reset" fails with multiple errors

I encountered this while attempting to get Magisk installed, more on my thread: 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried the instructions in the Sailfish thread to install TWRP, but it's failing at the first step to set_active. The set_active command returns different errors every time I run it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot devices
3b93039e        fastboot

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot set_active a
error: Device does not support slots

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot set_active a
Setting current slot to 'a'...
FAILED (remote: Invalid Slot)
finished. total time: 0.003s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>

I have tried various USB cords (mostly the one that came with the phone) and various usb ports and even two different machines, but with the same result.

Any suggestions?

On 12/11/2019 at 5:10 PM, zurvan2 said:

Great success!
I have a linux box in the basement, and it was able to fastboot flash on the first try. Must be some software or driver issue on *both* my windows machines. 😞

All silliness aside, that is good to know. It seems that the more "secure" Windows becomes, the more fussy it becomes about actually working. Bah humbug.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Bumping this thread.

Can TWRP be used to flash magisk on the latest version of stock?

We're missing the latest boot.img to patch via magisk and unfortunately the lineage OS recovery doesn't play nicely with stock. 

7 minutes ago, D1ggs said:

Can TWRP be used to flash magisk on the latest version of stock?

Alas no, we are waiting for a TWRP that can decrypt first. Until then TWRP is only really useful for SFOS users.

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, TeZtdevice said:

Any good news?
Which information needs to encrypt the partition.. who is the man, we are waiting for? 😞

I'll probably be the one to do that.  I got close to a functional decrypt before covid hit, but haven't been able to work on it since.  I'm focused on getting Lineage finished and official and TWRP should come after that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
On 6/22/2020 at 5:55 PM, Craig said:

https://unofficialtwrp.com/twrp-3-3-1-root-fxtec-pro-1/

Anyone know anything about that?

Apart from this kind of looking suspicious, it does at least deactivates dm-verity and forced encryption.

Since the boot image is patched to deactivate dm-verity and data encryption, I guess you won't be able to install OTAs any more.

Edited by daniel.schaaaf
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tdm said:

What reason is there for wanting TWRP over Lineage recovery other than data decrypt?

Being able to do a Nandroid Backup (which is not so much a new reason as the result of having decrypt).

Edited by Hook
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, tdm said:

Interesting, never seen that before.  It must be automated.  And I'm pretty sure data decrypt won't work.  What reason is there for wanting TWRP over Lineage recovery other than data decrypt?

To do a full nandroid backup.

I like to change some settings, icons, play with some apps and a backup will help me to do that, to be on the safety side.

TWRP + Tasker are the main reasons why I use Android.

Backup and modify/automate 🙂

• Like 4

After 4 software bricks (android accomodation), I stopped using my Pro1.

Without TWRP, I can not use the Pro1 as my new dialy driver.
Well, I have to wait for it.
I hope @tdm or any other dev will find a way to decrypt partition.

Bye Pro1, hello again Moto Z Play

Edited by TeZtdevice
  • Sad 1