Network Compatibility

12 minutes ago, Noob said:

I'm not sure if anyone else with a Pro1 is in Australia, but you'll need the OTA update to get phone calls working.  On the original stock firmware everything worked but outgoing calls which would not dial out and incoming calls would be engaged or straight to voicemail.  Same for LineageOS, but currently no update to fix it.

There is one other thing I noticed; when I dial *#*#4636#*#* I see that "VoLTE provisioned" is greyed out and disabled.  Hopefully that can be turned on in future.

Odd that it should be grayed out on yours but was fine on mine.  Is it the phone or the SIM? (Again, my understanding of all this is pretty slim).  Do you have the 10 DEC OTA?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Known Networks: (updated 2/3/2020) 1&1 (DE): Must add APN manually to enable LTE data, no problems observed after adding APN from carrier web site (1 report) 3.dk (DK): Working with no p

I feel that having a one-stop shop for network compatibility information will be valuable. Please post as you attempt to use the Pro1 with the various networks, and the experience you have. I will mai

It would be good if you could list any settings you needed to change in order to get it working for a given carrier too (like Craig listed that he had to add an APN).

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Noob said:

I'm not sure if anyone else with a Pro1 is in Australia, but you'll need the OTA update to get phone calls working.  On the original stock firmware everything worked but outgoing calls which would not dial out and incoming calls would be engaged or straight to voicemail.  Same for LineageOS, but currently no update to fix it.

There is one other thing I noticed; when I dial *#*#4636#*#* I see that "VoLTE provisioned" is greyed out and disabled.  Hopefully that can be turned on in future.

This is good to know! I wonder what was corrected. What provider are you using so the list can be updated with this info?

3 hours ago, Hook said:

Odd that it should be grayed out on yours but was fine on mine.  Is it the phone or the SIM? (Again, my understanding of all this is pretty slim).  Do you have the 10 DEC OTA?

Another possibility that comes to my mind is that LTE itself may be turned off or not working, and as a prerequisite for VoLTE it might be grayed as a result.

16 hours ago, Hook said:

Maybe not.  I couldn't tell which version it's at, I did the OTA update last night but maybe there are more updates available after that one.  I tried again today and see there's one relating to Google SafetyNet.

EDIT:  So it seems the updates are installed sequentially, rather than one big superceding one.  I installed the SafetyNet update, then a further one (10 Dec) and retested.  Still the same behaviour re VoLTE.

14 hours ago, silversolver said:

This is good to know! I wonder what was corrected. What provider are you using so the list can be updated with this info?

Two providers, AldiMobile (Telstra MVNO) and Optus.  Both seemed to support LTE/4G.

12 hours ago, silversolver said:

Another possibility that comes to my mind is that LTE itself may be turned off or not working, and as a prerequisite for VoLTE it might be grayed as a result.

LTE does seem to be supported, but just for data.  When phone call came through or was made, the phone dropped down to UMTS voice and HDPA data (according to that debug screen).  One of the network providers said they support VoLTE but I'm not sure whether they really know.  The other I don't know.  But I'm guessing there's some extra internal config that needs to be added to support it for providers (isn't that why VoLTE support is such a pain? I keep reading complaints about it, not just for the Pro1)

Edited by Noob
17 hours ago, Noob said:

Maybe not.  I couldn't tell which version it's at, I did the OTA update last night but maybe there are more updates available after that one.  I tried again today and see there's one relating to Google SafetyNet.

EDIT:  So it seems the updates are installed sequentially, rather than one big superceding one.  I installed the SafetyNet update, then a further one (10 Dec) and retested.  Still the same behaviour re VoLTE.

Two providers, AldiMobile (Telstra MVNO) and Optus.  Both seemed to support LTE/4G.

LTE does seem to be supported, but just for data.  When phone call came through or was made, the phone dropped down to UMTS voice and HDPA data (according to that debug screen).  One of the network providers said they support VoLTE but I'm not sure whether they really know.  The other I don't know.  But I'm guessing there's some extra internal config that needs to be added to support it for providers (isn't that why VoLTE support is such a pain? I keep reading complaints about it, not just for the Pro1)

So if the carrier doesn't support VoLTE, it's not going to work. VoLTE requires intimate cooperation between your device hardware and the carrier network, and if either end is not equipped to handle it, it's a lost cause. There's not much real-world advantage unless you're trying to use your phone to secretly smuggle audio out of concerts live.....the additional audio fidelity doesn't really do much for regular phone calls, and does nothing unless both parties are using it.

Did both of the providers you tried seem to work correctly once the update was applied?

@silversolver Can you add that T-Mobile wifi calling requires T-Mobile to do something on their end?  At least that was reported by one user.  Whether the phone that was previously tied to that number had wifi calling enabled at the T-Mobile end is unknown, as is whether you have to download some software.  But wifi calling on T-Mobile apparently works and the way to get it working is to contact them and explain you have a BYOD situation with a phone that is supposed to support it.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, david said:

@silversolver Can you add that T-Mobile wifi calling requires T-Mobile to do something on their end?  At least that was reported by one user.  Whether the phone that was previously tied to that number had wifi calling enabled at the T-Mobile end is unknown, as is whether you have to download some software.  But wifi calling on T-Mobile apparently works and the way to get it working is to contact them and explain you have a BYOD situation with a phone that is supposed to support it.

My next update should include this. Thank you for helping me make the list as complete as possible. As updates now require mod involvement, I'm trying to consolidate them. I expect to make another update tonight.

• Thanks 1
On 12/14/2019 at 2:49 AM, cathstoll said:

Gold side to the back,  got it.  Maybe I'll just download this video onto a tablet and take it with.  Can't hurt, might help. 

As a side note, the black plastic drawer facing on the SIM drawer is loose.  It's wiggly, and will pull away enough to see the 4 support posts connecting it to the metal drawer. Is anybody else noticing that?  The tech specifically mentioned it and that I should be very careful with it; maybe is why he guessed SIM connector error.  

The SIM tray does have an angled corner to help guide you, but you have to flip the phone face down to see it because the card mounts on the bottom side. Of course it won't help if you flat out have it upside down.

Sim_Tray.thumb.jpg.e3a1361421ab2104d7564fc3acd0c1e9.jpg 

I Overlooked all the posts on inserting the sim, it is really simple to do BUT a bit odd! And NOT like described in their leaflet(!!)

1. You should insert/remove the SIMs and/or SD with the phone having the display facing DOWN
  2. The dent to grab it for opening (use your nail or a dental stick) is on the (display) side, that then faces downwards.

Once you realised that, everything is straight forward and easy.

But unfortunately the leaflet that comes with the phone got it wrong (and shows an earlier prototype of the card tray to confuse further)....

• Thanks 3
58 minutes ago, devyl said:

i have some problems with LTE on german Telekom (D1) network; my old Nexus 6 has no problems with LTE on certain places. The pro1 never connects to 4G networks; it stays on 3G. The SIM is from Congstar and about 3 months old.

Does the Pro1 never connect to LTE anywhere or only in certain locations?  Running an app like LTE Discovery (available in the play store) may help in determining which frequencies are being used on each phone.

58 minutes ago, david said:

Does the Pro1 never connect to LTE anywhere or only in certain locations?  Running an app like LTE Discovery (available in the play store) may help in determining which frequencies are being used on each phone.

It never connects to LTE anywhere. i installed the app and will log... at the moment it doesn't find LTE at all at home (i would have LTE here with the Nexus 6, normally)

20 minutes ago, kontakt said:

Maybe installing https://f-droid.org/de/packages/de.mangelow.network/ and selecting LTE will work?

It's like selecting LTE-only in the Settings App; doesn't connect 😞

29 minutes ago, devyl said:

It never connects to LTE anywhere. i installed the app and will log... at the moment it doesn't find LTE at all at home (i would have LTE here with the Nexus 6, normally)

It's like selecting LTE-only in the Settings App; doesn't connect 😞

Do you have another sim card that you could try?

I tried to activate my Pro1 on Google Fi (using my SIM from my currently active Nexus 5X) and received error ID B042.  I contacted Google support and they informed me that the Pro1 is not supported by Google Fi and will not work on their network.

So if you have Google Fi and you want to keep it, this is not the phone for you.

1 hour ago, Spider-Dan said:

I tried to activate my Pro1 on Google Fi (using my SIM from my currently active Nexus 5X) and received error ID B042.  I contacted Google support and they informed me that the Pro1 is not supported by Google Fi and will not work on their network.

So if you have Google Fi and you want to keep it, this is not the phone for you.

Google fi has a very limited selection of supported phones. You can check compatibility here: https://fi.google.com/compatibility

However, unsupported phones can still work, they just won't help you set them up. See here for details: https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6330195?hl=en

12 hours ago, Spider-Dan said:

I would definitely try these steps and see if this manual config works:

For Android devices:

Note: These instructions are based on Nexus tablets running Android 6.0 and above. Steps may vary for your particular device.

1. Open the Settings app on your device.
  2. Tap More (under Wireless & Networks).
  3. Tap Cellular networks and then Access Point Names.
  4. Tap + (at the top of the screen).
  5. Tap Name and enter "Google Fi".
  6. Tap APN and enter "h2g2".
  7. Go back to the previous page.
  8. Select Google Fi from the list.
  9. If SIM setup is successful, you’ll see “Fi Network,” "Google Fi," or "T-Mobile" at the top of your screen. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Yakashimoto said:

Is it still a bug that on SimSlot #2 only 2 G works? I have moved my two Simcards from the current phone into the FxTec Pro 1, and the second simcard has only 2G. 

Hmm, if I use one sim, it works equally well for 3G/4G in either slot. Have not tried with two sims though.

Could also be a setting issue: Settings, Network & Internet, Mobile network, select relevant tab, advanced, Preferred Network Type

@EskeRahn time to update, and your assistance would be wonderfully appreciated. :) Changing it up a bit. Please replace the top post with what's between the dotted lines here.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Known Networks: (updated 12/23/2019)

3.dk (DK): Working with no problems observed (1 report)

AldiMobile (Telstra) (AU): Working with fully-patched stock OS, cannot place calls with LineageOS or unpatched stock OS (1 report)

AT&T (US): Working with no problems (2 reports)

D2 (Vodafone) (DE): Working with no problems observed (1 report)

Deutsche Telekom (D1) (DE): Basic functions working, no LTE (1 report)

FreedomPop (AT&T) (US): Working with no problems observed after manually adding APN (1 report)

Google Fi (T-mobile) (US): SIM transfer resulted in error ID B042 (1 report)

Mint (T-Mobile) (US): Working with no problems observed after manually adding APN (1 report)

Optus (AU): Working with fully-patched stock OS, cannot place calls with LineageOS or unpatched stock OS (1 report)

T-Mobile (US): Works well after manually adding APN, poorly without it. WiFi calling requires T-mobile customer service to register the device. (2 reports).

Tello (Sprint) (US): Couldn't activate device. Mule activation not yet attempted. (1 report)

Ting (T-Mobile) (US): Working with no problems observed (1 report)

Verizon (US): Cannot activate device directly, SIM swap from a VoLTE-provisioned mule, then *#*#4636#*#* and flip all the switches and reboot WORKS for LTE and VoLTE only. CDMA not working. (2,1 reports)

If you'd like to discuss the issues with Pro1 and Verizon, a separate topic exists for that. https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2133-fxtec-on-verizon/

SIM Insertion:

SIM insertion is unusual but simple on these phones. Unfortunately the leaflet that comes with the phone has some out-of-date information from a previous phone revision, including an incorrect photo. For best results, insert or remove the SIM and/or SD cards with the phone display facing down. The notch to pull it out is on the display side, which then is facing down. It is easy to grab with a fingernail or toothpick. (Special thanks to EskeRahn for this information!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Thanks for your help again, @EskeRahn

Edited by silversolver
Thanks!
  • Like 1
On 12/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, Spider-Dan said:

Can you try again using these steps?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/using-project-fi-supported-phone-sms-t3772051/amp/

• Thanks 1